Roleplaying Styles

Myst42

Simple Roleplaying Choices  

428 members have voted

1. 1. What's your preferred alignment playstyle/motivation/endgoal?

• Good
    • Evil
    • Money/Self Interest
  2. 2. What's your favorite class style?

• Warrior/Melee
    • Rogue/Archery
    • Magic - AKA Fireballs FTW
    • Stealth - Assassin
    • Stealth - Thief
  3. 3. What attribute do you consider the most valuable in a character?

• Strength (Fighting prowess, endurance, bashing things)
    • Intelligence (Wisdom, scholarship, knowledge, being smart)
    • Stealth (Strategy, cunning, being unseen)
  4. 4. When you roleplay do you consider NPCs...

• Valuable characters, part of an immersive world
    • Means to an end
    • NPCs? They're just target practice. Kill them all! it's soooo fun
  5. 5. When you make a character...

• I invest time in concept, details, maybe even a backstory...
    • Nah, they're just fucktoys. Show me the boobies already!
  6. 6. Do you prefer

• Romance/Immersive relations
    • Rape/Violent behavior
    • Random unnimmersive fucking
  7. 7. Do you even roleplay in RPGs?

• Yes
    • No

Just something to kiil boredom and deliver some insight about the average gamer behavior

Let me know if there's another choice I "missed" and I consider placing it

Just wanted to know

Because I'm curious

Personally, I'd rather play the "good" character most of the times and try to really get into the world. Part of the fun is thinking about choices, consequences, etc...

Some other times I play evil chars, but even then I'd rather be the "evil bastard that saves the world" or something... try to punish other evil things, be cruel with them in "Dexter" style etc...

My guess is most of the gaming population doesnt care for roleplaying, It's just about killing, fucking and laughing. Which IMHO is kinda... depressing and dull... But I'm nobody to judge so...

Whatever choices are made, why?

Anyone cares to ellaborate?

Preferred Alignment: Good and Evil are objective... "We judge ourselves by our intentions, we judge others by their actions" Generally, my characters do what is "right" in their eyes.

Preferred Play Style: One-handed weapons, no shield. I like the idea of more fluid combat.

Preferred Attribute: Intelligence all the way, outsmarting and outplaying your opponent is more impressive then just being a brute, though stealth has some intelligence.

NPC's: Depends on the person, generally they're just there.

Character Creation: I like to create backstories and have an interwoven story between all of my characters, including alliances and confrontation.

Sex: Immersive... Some see it as boring, but, mindless doesn't do anything for me and rape is bad, bad, BAD!

RPG: If I'm allowed to create my own character and not get lumped into playing as somebody the game determined, then yes.

You have a point.

It's not roleplaying if you're being yourself.

Wait a minute, you seemingly confuse schizophrenia with roleplaying - the actor is always himself, and this in various roles to be played acc. to a given script. Guess you guys are looking for a justification to play a lesbian woman (in case you are straight males), something that requires cross dressing skills in the real world to avoid a financial flop in cinema or theatre.

You have a point.

It's not roleplaying if you're being yourself.

Wait a minute, you seemingly confuse schizophrenia with roleplaying - the actor is always himself, and this in various roles to be played acc. to a given script. Guess you guys are looking for a justification to play a lesbian woman (in case you are straight males), something that requires cross dressing skills in the real world to avoid a financial flop in cinema or theatre.

Way too in-depth for such a tiny observation, buddy.

Eh, my characters wouldn't quite conform to most of those...

Characters I play for entertainment draw inspiration from Scylla, the horror of the sea; Child-like in appearance with powerful magic that goes and kills stuff. Those don't have sex mods installed at all, so I can't answer the poll about them.

Meanwhile, characters I play for sex are very different, but won't conform to the "alignment" question because they aren't driven by any of the three options. Chaotic (neutral) would be the most accurate way to describe them; they certainly don't need\want money, and they aren't consistently good or evil.

To elaborate on why I play as I do: It's not entirely that I don't want to think about choices per-se, it's that I very simply don't consider them choices.

I've never been immersed in any game, I've never felt any character was more than a string of 1's and 0's. So there's no choice: Binary code lives don't matter. It's freaking binary code. It doesn't feel. It doesn't think. My entertainment comes far ahead of some string of 1's and 0's, and if one of the choices leads to a more entertaining experience then I will pick it. If not - well, I may as well flip a coin for all it matters to the world, and to me.

Edit: Since you've bothered to edit the poll just for me, I answered it.

-V

BTW, I meant "Intelligence" as a "primary attribute" describing more like magic characters, wise people, scholars...

Though the stealth approach requires intelligence too, but it's more like "cunning" and "skill" - A different kind of intelligence

Also I understand that some people might prefer hybrid playstyles, myself included as my favorite class is something like a a spellsword/bladedancer/healer...

But in all this, I consider this choice to be primarily a magic one so...

As for the roleplaying part...

I'd say a "roleplayer" just as an actor (a good one) needs to connect with hipothetical parts of themselves if they actually want to get in character, always drawing a line of course between what's real and what's not. "What would I do if..." "my past made me this or that way..." or "my motivations were these..."

But I'm not sure if that's close to what you guys meant...

Then there's the pple who dont RP. We get it... just kill stuff "1s and 0s" Some pple like that too I guess.

ADD:

Ehh.. "chaotic neutral" chars might just fall under the same flag as "money" motivated since they only care for what amuses them and gives them lulz

Call it "self interest" if you like to what is neither good nor evil. Still as neutral as one may be, something's got to drive you, because with no motivations you would be better off just shooting yourself in the head. the most basic drive is self preservation so that's a point to start... self interest comes next probably...

I'll edit the option a bit to include that.

I wanted a simple poll so I tried to be as basic as possible despite the many different ideas many people might have

I would say the money as the money is the root of all evil but is also the root of much good. Being good and evil is fun but if it doesn't pay the bills then perhaps I should spend my time elsewhere. I guess the assassin style suits me best, seeing a man bleed out is so satisfying. Intelligence pretty much accounts for pretty much everything the body does so I'll invest most my points in that. Why choose between backstory and boobies when you can have both? :P I'll guess I'll go with planned hits and using that money to pay for sex and mead.

Why choose between backstory and boobies when you can have both? :P

I meant the char design as "simple vs complex" Idea.

Invest time and dedication for quality character with quality boobs maybe/probably

Or dont invest it at all and just make em large. Works too for some folk. Sorry if I sound judgy I'm trying not to

*Snippy*

I meant the char design as "simple vs complex" Idea.

Invest time and dedication for quality character with quality boobs maybe/probably

Or dont invest it at all and just make em large. Works too for some folk. Sorry if I sound judgy I'm trying not to

Don't worry about it. I just like a middle ground boobie. Everything else is waifu material ^_^.

What's your preferred alignment playstyle/motivation?

Good

Evil

Self-interest/money

Needs an option for "other". Some characters have beliefs that might say.... have them protect a villager(someone who has never killed anyone) but happily assassinate a guard captain(because he has chosen to live a life in which he fights, and so is a fine target). 

What's your favorite class style?

Magical archer. Uses a bow as the main source of damage, but also likes alteration, conjuration, mysticism(if the game has it), and sometimes illusion. Not really that stealth focused, more likes to use tricks to keep the enemy from closing/escape from combat.

Sex: ............and rape is bad, bad, BAD!

Wait........didn't you just say that you do what is right in your own eyes........so who is to say that evil woman/man/whatever didn't deserve to get fucked to heck and gone....????  LOL!!!   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

... funny? :s

I understand the hypocrisy behind my thinking, I'm just not that into roleplaying that I can suspend my own beliefs on a sensitive issue that affected myself personally. 

BTW, I meant "Intelligence" as a "primary attribute" describing more like magic characters, wise people, scholars...

Though the stealth approach requires intelligence too, but it's more like "cunning" and "skill" - A different kind of intelligence

Fine... :dodgy:  Strength then... but I still don't like playing as dumb-dumbs or cowards.

I always play the Chaotic Neutral type character (Lina Inverse, Lelouch, Kenpachi Zaraki, John Constantine, Tyler Durden, Riddick, Conan the Barbarian, Elric of Melnibone, Sandor "The Hound" Clegane, Bronn etc.) since good is boring and evil is messy...just get money, survive, keep your ersatz friends few, and your enemies fewer and DGAF about anything unless you will gain something good from it...

Preferred alignment: liberators, tyrants, generals, revolutionaries, megalomaniacs... I get their job done as long as they can afford my services (self interest)

Favourite class: nobody will ever stand against the my mighty thunders and zombie armies (magic, electromancy and necromancy)

Attribute: in order to defeat your enemy you have to know him, think like him, know what he is going to do even before he knows that (intelligence)

NPCs: the client gives me the orders, I accomplish the objective. He pays me the price, good... But he dares betray me, he will find himself at the very own verge of death. That said, NPCs have their lives, families, possessions... If they do not want to lose everything they have, they better treat me with respect. (Valuable characters, part of an immersive world)

Character: does someone exist even when there are no records of said existence? I do not think so... (I invest time in concept, details, maybe even a backstory...)

Sex: well, I know this is LoversLab, but sex never plays an important role in my playthroughs... (no alignment)

Roleplay?: it's called "Shit Sherlock", first name "No"

wow four posts in before we hit passive aggressive holier than thou baiting.

Is that a record?

Current save and mods:

the Eclipse

The protagonist washed up on a beach, bereft of clothing and possessions. When he chooses to speak his accent is distinctly off. The locals consider him just another khajiit wastrel despite the obvious size, color and demeanor difference.  The wanderer does not stay with caravans nor even acknowledge them, and khajiit who do meet the wanderer whisper in muted tones of the twin moons being shrouded in darkness. He eschews any weapon, occasionally taking only a shield from a bandit whom mistakenly preyed on the wrong campfire at night. The Bearded Ones whisper that Alduin and Akatosh have returned, once upon a journey through Riverwood the stranger happened to slay a marauding dragon with only claw and guile, and the locals now believe him to be the one spoken of. Perhaps they are right, perhaps they are gravely mistaken.

The redguard speak of dark ships in the night, spying the coastal cities and towns and then disappearing. They speak of strange feral footprints upon the beaches, of coastal town disappearing in fire, of khajiit too large to even be Raht with fur as hard as steel and ability to breathe swaths of flame upon their victims.

Perhaps it is simply the idle talk of liars and bored inn patrons, or perhaps there is something more.

1.  Primarily good, with a splash of self-interest.  Evil doesn't really hold my attention.  Full blown self-sacrificing morally pure Dudley Do-Rights can be pretty boring, too.  I prefer a character with at least a somewhat functioning moral compass, where even if they aren't necessarily good people, they can still be counted on to do the right thing.

2.  I've done most of these archetypes, but Warrior is always my first choice.

3.  I picked Strength, but only in lieu of a Charisma option, and this is entirely for one reason - some years ago an online friend said to me offhandedly, "Charisma is not a dump stat."  That sentence spoke to a part of my role-playing soul that I had never before then known was within me, and from that day forth, Charisma has been one of the foundation stats on which many of my favorite characters have been built on.  Strength is what lets your sword cleave a villain in two.  Strength is what breaks the chains binding a damsel to a sacrificial altar.  Strength of will is what keeps you going when everything around you says stop.  Strength of character is what tells you to turn in that lost coinpurse full of gold that you know doesn't belong to you.  Intelligence is a boon, surely, and Stealth has its benefits, but Strength is at the heart of most of my favorite characters to play.

4.  I think this question has as much to do with how you roleplay as it does whether or not you roleplay at all.  My characters, being how they are, see the NPCs as people, plain and simple.  But a player playing an evil character, as well as someone who's just dicking around in a game, could easily see NPCs as mere targets.

5.  Always always always backstory and details.  I find flat characters to be boring.  Not a single character I consider a favorite, be they ones I play for ones posted by other people, is simply a pretty face.

6.  I prefer my relations somewhat immersive, but that is a rather tenuous choice.  I do smut more often than I do romantic content, and while I like my smut a bit silly, I can't just do mindless smut.  There's got to be a story that at least makes sense internally - there's either an explicit, sensible reason for this to be taking place, or its done in a way that it isn't totally random and not thematic.  As for reading other peoples' smut, I can enjoy just about anything, mindless or not, but the ones I tend to enjoy the most involve characters that aren't two-dimensional.

7.  I roleplay lightly when I'm really playing the game, making decisions the character would make over decisions that benefit me as a player more often than not, but not going so far as to using immersion-enhancing mods like disabling fast travel or things like Frostfall.

I don't know, so I can't answer, but I can describe how pissed I get when a game forces you

to act a certain way.

I tried to annihilate everyone in Mistveil Palace in Riften,

And the characters never died, they just kept introducing themselves

"Hi, I'm the jarl of whatever"

I coined the term "Secret Sidewalk", the way in which a game forces you to take One path, one specific path, for best results.

So I cheat, steal and ignore the extra dialogue.

I love how you put a label (OK *someone* put a label)

on this type, "Chaotic Neutral".

Immersiveness only works if the game doesn't crash,

but people who torture because they can,

because it's a party and they're showing off,

will not be spared in the revolution...

People Player is in love with Staring at the bruise or the black eye Player has is hot.

I keep questioning myself (why am I writing this?) and I don't have a clue...

You al seem to want it, or you secretly want the hot lady-avatar to grace us with her presence,

or you want a large topical thread...Glad to be helpful, posting something you can gloss over that makes the thread current and more accessible to

the hot avatar.

I see that the most popular way among players here and in some other places is the so famous "chaotic neutral"

That alignment question is probably a different way of describing the same 3 alignments of that DD system.

While I tried to make a poll that is kept as simple as possible, in my head I considered that each of these 3 concepts can expand to a variety of choices.

For the most part, pple think "good" is boring because "dibbity dibbity dobbity goodie"

But on the personal side, I'd rather think a "good "character is "motivated" by good. Meaning, try to save people, dont burn villages, fight evil dudes and generally try do to right, but it doesnt mean you have to be a saint. You can fall, you can be a bit greedy, you can make mistakes and you can have regrets if you want. But the main picture, is a Good character doesnt go around murdering innocents for fun and doesnt loose sight of the bigger picture and the Good goals.

The Evil character for me is more about wreaking havoc wherever he/she goes, doing so intentionally and having no regrets. He/she can also fight other evils but he does it mostly for personal goals... Because something challenges their own domination or power, or because he needs something to dominate (power driven) and this other evil seeks to destroy all. Alternatively, world destruction is also an evil goal.

As for chaotic neutrals, I'd pack them in self interested. People who dont care what happens with the world, only about how much profit can it give them. But on the bigger picture, they still dont go around burning villages intentionally for lulz. They burn them for a reason sometimes, or they prefer not to burn them and get paid instead, or they can save people and ask for a reward or something. Depends on their mood, but still they have a way of cohabiting with the world instead of trying to save it or destroy it.

I know Lina Inverse is considered "chaotic neutral" under worldly conventions, but to me she always had that Good side... I mean c'me on! she was the hero of the show! and she didnt destroy villages or murder people for fun, she killed bandits and the villages were a side effect of her destroying evil stuff. Ultimately, her motivations were both Good, and money driven, but in the end when it really mattered, she was all about fighting Evil.

So all of these have thin lines between them.

Most interesting characters are never "fully" commited to only one side

But again, I tried to keep it simple. In the end, when it matters, one option tends to prevail over the others and show their true nature

Doesnt mean one can't take ingredients from all the rest.

Many choices depend on the game (possibilities, difficulty/balance, etc). So I put in the answers that I would preferably choose. I don't consider myself a good roleplayer, but that doesn't stop me from trying.

Alignment: I guess you could say "chaotic good". As in... good, but I won't refrain from a little mischief or killing the big bad overlord. (S)He deserves it.

Additionally, in most games (if you actually have a choice) good/bad is kinda balanced and personal belongings aren't important (after looting the whole city, you can generously give the beggar a penny, or even two). So... good in terms of game mechanics. If the game doesn't punish you for stealing other people's belongings, you aren't evil wink.png

If I'm in the mood for some more hardcore roleplay, my "good" character wouldn't even steal if the game doesn't recognize it as such, because just taking things that aren't yours is evil.

Class: Nothing better than archery! Though in some games, arrows are so limited I don't even want to equip a bow, and in other games (esp. pen and paper games) the rules are so complicated that I just don't bother.

Second in line is One-Handed Sword, no shield (except roleplaying a fearful character that hides behind a shield...).

If the magic system is good, I often use it to complement the physical weaponry. I rarely rely on magic alone, though.

Attribute: In actual RPGs, Charisma is the way to go. It opens many doors. Also, as most games focus on combat, having something like charisma is a nice change of pace.

In the questionnaire, I chose Stealth - coming and going unseen, or knocking out enemies before alerting everyone in the area, is just too awesome.

NPCs: Of course, when roleplaying, NPCs are actual people, like the character you are playing. In games, however, NPCs have a role to fulfill, too - and the Bandits that immediately turn hostile are meant to be killed by the thousands (and often enough the game gives you no choice).

On the other hand, I get kinda sad when innocent citizens die due to a vampire attack, and if I can resolve a situation peacefully (and thus save the lifes of involved NPCs) then I chose to do so.

Character Creation: If I plan to roleplay, I invest some time, think of a theme and stuff - but no lengthy backstory. Having your character shaped by the events in the game is an interesting aspect, too.

(When creating the hundredth character for some sexlab action because old savegames are broken, I chose the fucktoy route tongue.png )

Relations: Preferably Romance and Immersion. I wouldn't object to rape, if it's kinda immersive. That's for usual RPGs, though - in sexgames (and such can be Skyrim with Sexlab), I don't mind random unimmersive fucking (though even with mods like RandomSex, I have head canon to justify/explain each happening).

Roleplay: I try. At least the first character I create. And maybe the second - usually with a different alignment. After that, who knows.

With discovering LL, i really can't answer most of the questions... do i roleplay? yes. Rape prefered. Beside that, my currently (and since some time) favorite role is a girl who never saw much of the world, always well protected by rich parents and knows how to behave obedient/appropriate among the ones in charge, maybe some trade skills. Beside that, she can be considered weak and something between selfconfident and dumb (Slaverun reloaded is great to "teach" her stoy wise). After her parents died, she has a lot of money and doesn't mind to spend it for beautiful clothes, but she doesn't throw it to beggars/robbers, even if that might be wise. That's one reason she often gets herself in trouble. 

For other games... in NWN i often started as chaotic neutral/evil, and ended up chaotic good. But more because the good way was the most rewarding than actually beeing good, so... i'd still say neutral/evil. ;) And i always play female mages who don't mind a bit backstabbing, if possible with a sword in each hand. And yes, usually that doesn't make any sense, it just looks good. :) That's the only aspect where i don't go for the "perfect" way... every single piece of collectable cow shit, will be collected! Except there's something better around and i have to  chose.

If mage isn't avaivable, i search for a sniper rifle.

I see that the most popular way among players here and in some other places is the so famous "chaotic neutral"

That alignment question is probably a different way of describing the same 3 alignments of that DD system.

While I tried to make a poll that is kept as simple as possible, in my head I considered that each of these 3 concepts can expand to a variety of choices.

For the most part, pple think "good" is boring because "dibbity dibbity dobbity goodie"

But on the personal side, I'd rather think a "good "character is "motivated" by good. Meaning, try to save people, dont burn villages, fight evil dudes and generally try do to right, but it doesnt mean you have to be a saint. You can fall, you can be a bit greedy, you can make mistakes and you can have regrets if you want. But the main picture, is a Good character doesnt go around murdering innocents for fun and doesnt loose sight of the bigger picture and the Good goals.

The Evil character for me is more about wreaking havoc wherever he/she goes, doing so intentionally and having no regrets. He/she can also fight other evils but he does it mostly for personal goals... Because something challenges their own domination or power, or because he needs something to dominate (power driven) and this other evil seeks to destroy all. Alternatively, world destruction is also an evil goal.

As for chaotic neutrals, I'd pack them in self interested. People who dont care what happens with the world, only about how much profit can it give them. But on the bigger picture, they still dont go around burning villages intentionally for lulz. They burn them for a reason sometimes, or they prefer not to burn them and get paid instead, or they can save people and ask for a reward or something. Depends on their mood, but still they have a way of cohabiting with the world instead of trying to save it or destroy it.

I know Lina Inverse is considered "chaotic neutral" under worldly conventions, but to me she always had that Good side... I mean c'me on! she was the hero of the show! and she didnt destroy villages or murder people for fun, she killed bandits and the villages were a side effect of her destroying evil stuff. Ultimately, her motivations were both Good, and money driven, but in the end when it really mattered, she was all about fighting Evil.

So all of these have thin lines between them.

Most interesting characters are never "fully" commited to only one side

But again, I tried to keep it simple. In the end, when it matters, one option tends to prevail over the others and show their true nature

Doesnt mean one can't take ingredients from all the rest.

yeah I get what you are trying to say but choosing good and bad is just not that interesting and even though they may difer or add a little bit to how they do things around them or what motivates them they still become too much of a cookie-cutter type characters...Some people would just have the freedom of doing things regardless of moral implications as long as it benefits them...while strictly good or strictly evil characters may deviate on some things but they still have to maintain their path...the root word I am looking for when roleplaying is "Freedom"...

Tyrion Lannister: "If I told you to murder an infant girl say, still at her mother breast’s, would you do it without question?"

Bronn: "Without question? No. I'd ask how much..."

Good characters would say "I am not some kind of monster!! perish the thought!"

Evil characters would say "OH HELL YES...WEAK PATHETIC HURRR DURRR!!!"

chaotic neutral IMO makes more interesting dialogues...

What's your preferred alignment?

Chaotic Neutral (i.e. Free Spirit). I've never been able to play through a game as a completely evil character. I try, but I always end up doing good. Either as a result of bad game design or because it's in my genes...

What's your favorite class style?

Don't like class based RPGs, but I usually pick rogue/thief for female characters. Rarely pick mages. I don't like magic in games.

What attribute do you consider the most valuable in a character?

Depends on the game and the character I play.

When you roleplay do you consider NPCs...

"Part of an immersive world". You need them to RP.

When you make a character...

"I invest time in concept, details, maybe even a backstory...", I think... not too much though, I have a bunch character templates that I'm familiar with, I often use them with minor modifications.

Do you prefer...

Don't care about romance, don't like extreme fetishes or sadistic stuff either. I like random/casual kinky stuff.

Do you even roleplay in RPGs?

That's kinda the point, isn't it? I no longer care about video games or enjoy playing them, no matter what the genre is. I only play games to RP.

Archived