Tannin42 - the new head developer of NMM

prinyo

Tannin tossed it away, He's not working on it because part of the agreement was never to work on MO again. Tannin could of continued to work on MO on the side. I'm pretty sure somewhere along in there Dark0ne told him he's not allowed to. It's not like he's strapped down to work on NMM 24/7.

Tannin tossed nothing away, the program is still out there and with open source coding so that's debunked your initial argument, Your now suggesting that while Tannin works a full time job coding the new NMM/MO hybrid that he continue to work on MO as well and forgo his own personal time, would you do the same thing I wonder ?

Come on seriously, you expect one guy to work with code all day and then proceed to work with more code on his time off, that's rather selfish of you don't you think.

That would be considered a conflict of interest. This is a no no in professional fields. MO is a competitor for NMM so he cannot work on MO on his spare time regardless of if he wanted to give up his spare time to do so. It isn't professional. If someone wanted to take it over however they are more than welcome.

Maybe so, but read my post again... I did not ask why they did not release the program or at least a beta yet, I asked why they did not even have a rough time table/road map to share after 300+ hours. (You know, something like: "We currently aim to have a first basic beta version available in the first half of 2017." or something like that.)

I do not know how that is handled elsewhere, but in our I.T.-Department, the guys there usually make a plan first and then start to work on a project. Not just dive in and see where it goes. Oh, and why should Tannin guess as to what parts of the old NMM code are actually doing? He has 2 veteran NMM programmers on his team who know the code already. There is no guesswork involved here as far as I understand it. He can just ask.

Many programing projects do exactly what you have stated,however rarely give public statements on when it will be done. Things can go wrong and usually do go wrong. This can cause delays. This is already a very sensitive subject so likely Dark One decided to not let that be public. He did state that August I believe they were mapping out the changes and getting ready to start the actual coding.

Tannin does have two senior programmers that understand the code however he likely wants to review and get a good feel for what it is as well. he is the head developer and would want to know personally every aspect and code that will be recycled and placed into the new product because he has his name on it.

Lets not forget... he is also getting those other programmers up to speed on what is going to be changed and how he will be approaching it as well. Education, documentation and such not to mention reports to Dark One as well. This all takes time.

You guys can agree and disagree as much as you want it wont matter because in the long run this will benefit everyone. I used both NMM and MO and i like both but i prefer MO more because it helps controlling my mods better(One can say that MO was for advanced users).

I for one am happy that they are finally deciding to do this so i am really looking forward to the new mod manager.

So please guys lets not fight on this and simply wish our best to Tannin42 and the NMM team and hope they make a great mod manager together.

I also perfer MO.. Mostly want to use it over NMM and use NMM as a last resort. However I am nervious as to what form the new NMM will be and am not looking forward to the end results as I don't have much faith that it will be something I will like or even learn to like.

However you are correct in lets not fight as it will mean nothing what has been done is done. Lets instead give our best wishes to TAnnin42 and the NMM team and hope they make a great manager together.

I can think of two reasons as to why Tannin no longer works on MO. He either thinks that MO will become redundant as he'll turn NMM into a MO-like utility, or because Dark0ne doesn't want him to. Perhaps Dark0ne has (dark) plans for NMM and wants to eliminate the other utility which he sees as a "competitor". Either way, I agree with enip, it looks like MO has been tossed away, at least as far as Tannin is concerned. Someone else may adopt it and continue development but that's irrelevant.

I can think of two reasons as to why Tannin no longer works on MO. He either thinks that MO will become redundant as he'll turn NMM into a MO-like utility, or because Dark0ne doesn't want him to. Perhaps Dark0ne has (dark) plans for NMM and wants to eliminate the other utility which he sees as a "competitor". Either way, I agree with enip, it looks like MO has been tossed away, at least as far as Tannin is concerned. Someone else may adopt it and continue development but that's irrelevant.

Third reason.. he got fed up with MO and working on it..

Also I lean toward Dark One encouraging Tannin not to work on MO.

However I disagree with it being irrelevant that it can be adopted. It could have been closed off and not able to be adopted. Even though it is a slim chance someone will take it up and start working on it it is still a chance. The other option nobody would ever be able to do this. Yes.. small difference but still a difference.

It's fairly obvious to me that if you work on creating a new mod manager from the ground up, there's not much chance you'll also be working on developing another one too. Only so much coding you can do before your eyes start to bleed.

I love MO as much as the next guy, and further MO development would have suited me very well, but it obviously didn't suit Tannin anymore, so let's respect that instead of calling him names, or telling him what he should and shouldn't do. It's not anybody's place to do so, and there's too much of it going around lately (from what I hear people shouldn't even be modding Beth games anymore just to teach Beth a lesson or something - not how you nurture a modding community).

People putting in work should be supported, and if that's too much to ask for, at least left the fuck alone.

Could have been a reason, if he had chosen something else to work on, instead of working on another mod manager, but he's not. That's why I didn't mention it as a possibility.

However I disagree with it being irrelevant that it can be adopted. It could have been closed off and not able to be adopted. Even though it is a slim chance someone will take it up and start working on it it is still a chance. The other option nobody would ever be able to do this. Yes.. small difference but still a difference.

The person with the knowledge, the development experience, and everything else that made MO what it is, no longer works on it. It's the "end of story", as one might call it. Someone might adopt it in the future, but that'll be another story and we have no idea how that story will turn out.

Seems to me you get the best of both worlds, MO integrated into NMM which means a whole new NMM. I see nothing wrong with that. MO was something he did in his spare time outside of a demanding programming "Job", now he can devote that time into building a better NMM. seems like a win win to me.

Could have been a reason, if he had chosen something else to work on, instead of working on another mod manager, but he's not. That's why I didn't mention it as a possibility.

The person with the knowledge, the development experience, and everything else that made MO what it is, no longer works on it. It's the "end of story", as one might call it. Someone might adopt it in the future, but that'll be another story and we have no idea how that story will turn out.

A person can get fed up with the project not the task. He might have been just fed up with MO.Might have just wanted a change of scenery.  Also he was working another job full time taking his time from MO development making it extremely hard to do any updates. (from what I read from Nexus etc) This can wear out someone as well. Then DO offers him a job where he can develop a mod manager and get paid for it so he don't have to do two full time jobs. Until he chimes in it is anybodies guess on this matter. It is all really just speculation.

In the FOMM world Pride started working on updating FOMM which was also abandoned. He and another (I can't remember his name currently) reworked it and it turned out quite well. This is because FOMM was open to do so. Much like MO. It might take a very long time and it might not even happen so yes.. it is a different story. I agree. My point was it is a possible story. If Tannin locked MO down and didn't give the appropriate license/permissions to develop it ... there would be no story... it would be end of story. No passing go or collecting 200 dollars. End of game. At least now there is a developed manager that has proven code and someone can start from there instead of recreating the wheel.Will there be another chapter in the MO story.. only time will tell.

It sucks that he stopped developing MO. I loved that manager .. still love the 32bit version for Skyrim, Fallout(s) Would have loved the new one for Fallout 4 and Skyrim. However the facts of life is he got an opportunity to do something he loves and get paid for it. Will he continue to like it?Is it the best move for the community, him, mod managers. Will NMM be bettter because of it? Worse? Who knows. We have to wait until it has been released.

Well, at least Tannin already "warned" us (if I may call it that from a MO users standpoint) that the initial release of the new manager will only be a baseline one like the old NMM is and all (hypothetical) advanced funtionality would have to be implimented later via addons/plugins. (Sadly, it was never pointed out if Tannin & Co. would write those plugins or the community is expected to do it on their own. But we will see.)

So we know we shouldn't get our hopes up too soon. ;)

Well, at least Tannin already "warned" us (if I may call it that from a MO users standpoint) that the initial release of the new manager will only be a baseline one like the old NMM is and all (hypothetical) advanced funtionality would have to be implimented later via addons/plugins. (Sadly, it was never pointed out if Tannin & Co. would write those plugins or the community is expected to do it on their own. But we will see.)

So we know we shouldn't get our hopes up too soon. ;)

Well, at least it won't be the massive monstrosity that is the current NMM.

Question of course is when do we get to see this new mod manager?  My guess would be mid/late 2017, though that does depend of course on how much of nmm/mo2 they can use as the base and just what they all want in the new mod manager.

Hopefully though they will go back to mo1 version of its install with 1 install of the mod manager for each game, rather than the way nmm, and mo2 have gone, with the way they are now its far too easy to kill all your games if something goes wrong with the manager, rather than just killing that one game if its seperate install for each game, yeh I know you can set mo2 to do a portable install, which works the same of the way mo is installed, but it does not default to that mode and getting it to work is a pain, mine still keeps asking me which mode I want even when it was installed as portable.

Question of course is when do we get to see this new mod manager?  My guess would be mid/late 2017, though that does depend of course on how much of nmm/mo2 they can use as the base and just what they all want in the new mod manager.

Hopefully though they will go back to mo1 version of its install with 1 install of the mod manager for each game, rather than the way nmm, and mo2 have gone, with the way they are now its far too easy to kill all your games if something goes wrong with the manager, rather than just killing that one game if its separate install for each game, yeh I know you can set mo2 to do a portable install, which works the same of the way mo is installed, but it does not default to that mode and getting it to work is a pain, mine still keeps asking me which mode I want even when it was installed as portable.

Also I can just create a new install of my mod manager and start a new game. If virtual like MO I then can have a totally different setup work on refining it and still keep the old one around. Yes could do that with the single manager and just install and uninstall but quite frankly once you get 200 + mods and such in the manager it starts to get confusing especially if using the same mods but different versions.

Like stated above.. If I screw something up or even the entire mod manager, i can just go back and click on the previous install and play. :) I believe I can do the same thing with the current NMM but it is clunky comparatively.

Archived