Any Tutorials for adding HDT physics (cloth, etc) to meshes for Skyrim?

Lady Horus

Hey all. I tried asking here like a month ago but my post was moved or deleted (no idea, never got any replies and there was nothing in my recent post history lol)... soooo I thought I would try again. :)

Recently I released my Tera mod up on Nexus, and while I'm pretty happy with it I'd still like to do more to improve it. The last thing to do would be adding HDT physics to the cloth and other parts that would have physics, but the thing is I have no experience with it aside from using skin wraps on a body that has breast/butt/belly bones already. I would need a full run down of how to add bones to a skeleton and how to essentially "rig" the mesh to those new bones. I get that I can use a skin modifier and add the bones to the list manually, but I'm wondering if there are other ways. I have very little experience outside of just the basic stuff, so I'm looking for some very detailed tutorials if there are any.

I've searched high and low with Google for this but I always seem to come up empty handed. D: I've seen so many really nice physics mods especially here on LL, so I was hoping someone might be willing to walk me through what I need to do. :) I'm not asking for anyone to do anything for me, I'm more than willing to learn.

Short version is, are there any tutorials around the web for adding cloth physics (HDT) to meshes (NOT breast/butt/belly) with 3DS Max, Nifskope and whatever else may be needed? Or does anyone here maybe have some suggestions for where to start? :) I would really appreciate some insight, and I figured this would be the best place to ask.

Thanks very much to anyone who may be able to help! :heart:

- Lady Horus

ps: really hope I've posted in the right section this time... I will cry if my post gets lost again ^^;

I've recently become interested in the same. After learning how to convert existing armor sets into HDT UUNP bodyslides (I've been using Fox's merged armors for practice) learning how to rig interesting portions of said armors felt like the next natural step (chains, ropes, skirts, tails, ears, etc) but finding any shared information about this has been rough.

Last time I paused my search the furthest I could get was to either continue:

- searching for already existing rigged meshes similar to what I need and transfer the bones to the mesh I want to work with (I was going to try a tool named Mesh Rigger here at LL);
- viewing whatever hair rigging tutorials I could find on youtube and see if I can use that information for clothing, unlike for clothing you can find a couple of tutorials on how to rig hair.

I've recently become interested in the same. After learning how to convert existing armor sets into HDT UUNP bodyslides (I've been using Fox's merged armors for practice) learning how to rig interesting portions of said armors felt like the next natural step (chains, ropes, skirts, tails, ears, etc) but finding any shared information about this has been rough.

Last time I paused my search the furthest I could get was to either continue:

- searching for already existing rigged meshes similar to what I need and transfer the bones to the mesh I want to work with (I was going to try a tool named Mesh Rigger here at LL);

- viewing whatever hair rigging tutorials I could find on youtube and see if I can use that information for clothing, unlike for clothing you can find a couple of tutorials on how to rig hair.

So it isn't just me having a hard time finding anything about it then, I guess I'm glad I'm not alone!

-I've thought about doing the same, by skin wrapping and using the bones from other HDT mods, but I'm not sure how that modder who did the original rig would feel about it. I will have to start asking, since I've seen quite a few that might work for what I'm doing. (Though I'd still like to learn how they did it, since I have several meshes that will probably need custom bones for the right shape/physics).

-I have seen a few hair rigging videos, but they were all very advanced (stuff that's beyond my experience) and I'm trying to find someone like Nightasy who does it for the everyday man (or woman in my case I guess). Thank you for the suggestion though, I'll definitely keep looking through them to see if I can find something that starts simple and works its way up from there. :D

Thanks very much for the reply! I will definitely look more into what you're suggesting. :)

Much apretiated! Indeed it seems it does, ended up watching almost the entire thing.

There are other videos in his channel that cover earlier stuff like setting up the skeleton in 3dmax. Biggest question by the end was where did the scripts he ran to form the capsules and stuff come from, after searching a bit here they are.

Now it's time to see what's the proper up to date 3dsmax version+extensions one should be using and stuff. Which personally I'll dive into another day, gotta make sure I finish what I started first. But I'm definitely coming back to this.

[EDIT]

Read a bit further into the thread I linked to, there's at least a newer capsule script that might be worth looking into. I also looked around the newer HDT threads that were being linked there (I had bumped into those previously already) but yeah... they have tutorials but they're pretty much only focused into breast/butt HDT, not clothing, etc.

My only worry here is if this info is outdated or not, but I'd assume it's still functional at least.

[/EDIT]

Ah this is wonderful, thank you so much to the both of you for digging these up! I'll definitely look through it more today. At least, perhaps I can make some headway with learning more about skeletons and whatnot which is a start. :) Really glad you found the scripts too as that would've been my biggest question.

Archived