GimmeBACON

Simple discussion, the Deathclaw is the icon of the Fallout franchise, and I wanted to give it something to face on equal terms... for me it was a toss up between the Werewolf and the Vampire Lord, but the VL can fly and cheat so I stuck with the Werewolf. 

I'm not talking specifically off of in-game, because Fallout 4 has better animations and whatnot, but if the two came across each other, whom do you think would win? 

Deathclaw.  Pre-Fallout 4, anyway.  Bigger, better armed, vastly stonger, much tougher hide.

A pack of werewolves might bring one Deathclaw down, maybe, but certainly not without heavy losses.

A giant might be a more even match.  Size and strength are comparable, and what they lack in natural weapons they make up for in stoneage intelligence.  One good club strike would be enough, I think, though the question is can the giant land that strike before the Deathclaw eviscerates it.  The Deathclaw obviously has mobility over the giant which is really the deciding factor here.

Well... wolves travel and hunt as packs, but do werewolves keep that instinct? If so, I think they may have an edge in numbers and speed where they lack in pure power. Other then breeding sites, Deathclaws I've encountered are usually alone, which implies a more solitary existence... maybe they even compete among themselves over territory? I don't know if that's how chameleons live so if somebody knows...

well considering my sorry ass was able handle a death claw, i would that that a not too feral werewolf could probably stand a decent chance. as long as they have kept enough of their wit. they have the upperhand on smarts and agility. the companions i have no doubt could handle it.

Not to disregard that thought entirely, but the silver hand kill plenty of werewolves too.

Deathclaw.  Pre-Fallout 4, anyway.  Bigger, better armed, vastly stonger, much tougher hide.

A pack of werewolves might bring one Deathclaw down, maybe, but certainly not without heavy losses.

A giant might be a more even match.  Size and strength are comparable, and what they lack in natural weapons they make up for in stoneage intelligence.  One good club strike would be enough, I think, though the question is can the giant land that strike before the Deathclaw eviscerates it.  The Deathclaw obviously has mobility over the giant which is really the deciding factor here.

Better armed? Do you mean the intelligent ones? or their claws are a better weapon? Also, while giants may be big and strong, they were to slow for me to consider them a fair match, like you deduced. 

Again... not game specific, the whole idea and lore of them throughout the respected games series.

Deathclaw. You see, there are guns and missiles and Fatmans in the wasteland but people are still terrified of deathclaws. 

Well, to be fair, most wastelanders aren't equipped to handle radscorpions, and explosive ordinance like that isn't practical when they're up close.

Well, I don't think they have mass manufactured silver on hand... but I can see your point that the sentient DC's got a lot of shit going their way. This might sound like I'm giving WW's a handicap, but let's exclude the intelligent DC's from this contest... not because I don't accept it, but because most of them aren't, and I already can accept that small group can handle shit.

Better armed? Do you mean the intelligent ones? or their claws are a better weapon? Also, while giants may be big and strong, they were to slow for me to consider them a fair match, like you deduced.

There are intelligent deathclaws?

Yeah I meant better armed in terms of natural equipment - deathclaw claws are larger and sturdier than werewolf claws, their teeth are at least comparable, and deathclaws have horns with which they could probably gore if need be.

As for giants, I'm not sure their lack of mobility compared to werewolves is enough of a weakness in and of itself to make it an unfair fight. One clean hit with that bigass stone club would surely be enough to break bone. Their size and strength make it less likely that the deathclaw would simply brush them aside with one swipe, as well. While I think the deathclaw would still win more often than not, I feel that a giant stands a better chance than a werewolf at bringing one down.

As this seems to go more the "lore" way, than gameplay matters, I'm voting for the Deathclaw, since they where originaly designed as tho Alpha-Predator in the Fallout Universe. Speed and Agility should be equal to that of a Werewolf, altough on close quarters the smaller Werewolf might have the advantage of Movement.

When it comes to "Equipment", i would say Deathclaws take the Lead. Not only for there longer Claws and mor muscle, but most off all there Hide, wich provides them not only with a natural "Armour", much thicker then the Pelt of a Werewolf but also almost complete immunity other natural influences, such as temperature, radiation and other stuff. Not sure how Magic or something like that would affect a deathclaw, but considering that Damage dealing Magik mostly uses Elements, the Deathclaw would probalby just shrug that off.

if it comes to an equl enemy i would mor ore less let a Deatclaw fight a Dragon. But this would more or less end in a tie, i think. On the Ground i think the Deathclaw would have a good chance to overhelm a dragon, do to her speed, agility, strength and claws that can rip a Powerarmour to shreds. As Dragons are supposed to be very intelligent, they would just stay airborne and try to shout the Deathclaw to Death, but here would again the Hide come in, mostly shrugging of Fire or Ice attacks.

I think that is for know said enough, considering a don't have a clue how readable all this is, since english isn't my native Language. Hoping for more discussion of the "This vs that" stuff, since things like this realy pick my interest.

Which franchise are we taking the werewolf from? I seem to remember there was a werewolf in vampire masquerade bloodlines that was huge and made vampires run like little girls so i'd bet on that werewolf verse any deathclaw

If we sticking to skyrim tbh the werewolfs in that have always seem well under powered to me and there was never anything about silver being required to kill them which was always an important part in non-game lore werewolves

if it comes to an equl enemy i would mor ore less let a Deatclaw fight a Dragon. But this would more or less end in a tie, i think. On the Ground i think the Deathclaw would have a good chance to overhelm a dragon, do to her speed, agility, strength and claws that can rip a Powerarmour to shreds. As Dragons are supposed to be very intelligent, they would just stay airborne and try to shout the Deathclaw to Death, but here would again the Hide come in, mostly shrugging of Fire or Ice attacks.

Like you said, the dragon wouldn't stay on the ground against a DC, just like the VL, which is why I didn't compare them two either. Of course, they are both iconic enemies for their respective games, but, because of their combat styles, the fight would be one-sided because the DC literally can't do shit. 

I also want to point out Bethesda never made realistic combat... instead of making an enemy difficult to fight against, they just made them bullet sponges. Is it fair to say a DC could realistically take a 50 round to the head and keep going? Or  a WW can take an ax to the head and walk it off? I doubt it. 

Edit: What I'm wondering is, is our perception of a DC or WW's strength influenced by their being an in-game tank, and would that be accurate if the games combat were "better"

I think it would be a more even match than people are giving the werewolf credit for, not in a straight up fight, but traditionally (in lore, not gameplay) werewolves would probably launch a stealth attack, giving it a fair chance at taking the deathclaw down if it didn't see it coming, but if the deathclaw saw the werewolf I think it would win the fight. It would all depend on the circumstances of the fight, the terrain, even weather might play a factor, and a werewolf could certainly take down a sleeping deathclaw, whereas a werewolf (unless it had gone fully feral) would most likely revert to human form and take up a fortified position while it slept.

Is it fair to say a DC could realistically take a 50 round to the head and keep going?

Actually, thats exactly what a Deathclaw would do. Its true, Bethesdas Game mechanics are making strong enemies into bullet Sponges, but the "Lore" Deathclaw would simply ignore small Arms Fire and even with 50 Calibers it would take more than one Shot to actually Kill one. The Basic Idea of the Deathclaw is that is is THE Alpha Predator and the Fact that they were "engineered" before the Great War to replace Human Troops and the expansive Power armours makes the Point all the more clear. After the Outbreak of the Great War, the "Master" enhanced the "Prototypes" even more, making use of the FEV-Virus, more known as beeing the source of the Super Mutants. The resulting Creature was more or less the Deathclaw we know, so a Creature far more lethal than the original Anti-Power-Armour Prototypes

I think it would be a more even match than people are giving the werewolf credit for, not in a straight up fight, but traditionally (in lore, not gameplay) werewolves would probably launch a stealth attack, giving it a fair chance at taking the deathclaw down if it didn't see it coming, but if the deathclaw saw the werewolf I think it would win the fight.

Since Werewolves are pretty sneaky creatures that would be a good way of dealing with a Deathclaw, the Human intellect a Wherewolf has is one more point to put into cosideration, since he or she could make Plans to deal with a supperior or unknow threat. Although since Deathclaws mainly use there smelling and hearing sense, rather than thier poor eyesight, the chances of sneaking up on one would also take some precise planning to lead to the desired outcome.

Don't werewolves only get their rag on once every twenty eight days or so? In which case the rest of the time/pre DC battle, said werewolf'y character could just be investigating holes, old ruins or doing stuff in the lab, looking for a 'just dust off and nuke it' thing. Or is this a 'One day a death claw and a werewolf were walking down the road' type scenario?

Is it fair to say a DC could realistically take a 50 round to the head and keep going?

Actually, thats exactly what a Deathclaw would do. Its true, Bethesdas Game mechanics are making strong enemies into bullet Sponges, but the "Lore" Deathclaw would simply ignore small Arms Fire and even with 50 Calibers it would take more than one Shot to actually Kill one. The Basic Idea of the Deathclaw is that is is THE Alpha Predator and the Fact that they were "engineered" before the Great War to replace Human Troops and the expansive Power armours makes the Point all the more clear. After the Outbreak of the Great War, the "Master" enhanced the "Prototypes" even more, making use of the FEV-Virus, more known as beeing the source of the Super Mutants. The resulting Creature was more or less the Deathclaw we know, so a Creature far more lethal than the original Anti-Power-Armour Prototypes

Calcium phosphate can only be so strong, and while I can accept their mutated skeleton might be stronger then a humans... A Barrett 50 cal would turn the skull into spaghetti.

Don't werewolves only get their rag on once every twenty eight days or so? In which case the rest of the time/pre DC battle, said werewolf'y character could just be investigating holes, old ruins or doing stuff in the lab, looking for a 'just dust off and nuke it' thing. Or is this a 'One day a death claw and a werewolf were walking down the road' type scenario?

Pick your pleasure.

Pick your pleasure.

Fairly sure Oliver Reed could have taken out a Deathclaw, and probably do it naked in front of a log fire. So I'm going to go werewolf.

Calcium phosphate can only be so strong, and while I can accept their mutated skeleton might be stronger then a humans... A Barrett 50 cal would turn the skull into spaghetti.

I know about 50. Caliber and wasnt exactly talking about the skeleton, but more the Scales and the thick leather hide underneath them. after that comes the Skeleton. A well aimed Shot at some weak points as eyes or something like that would probably kill a DC instantly, but just hitting the Head at random would mostly be very painful or crippling, but not lethal.

Pick your pleasure.

Fairly sure Oliver Reed could have taken out a Deathclaw, and probably do it naked in front of a log fire. So I'm going to go werewolf.

Another interesting aspect, the different abilitys of Werewolfes in different storys, some are only able to change during full moon, some may change at will and are force-changed on full moon. For this the Werewolf would get some serious bonus points, since a good picked Time to go on a Deathclaw Hunt would mean he or she could weaken the Deathclaw with Heavy ordonance and then could change into his Wolf-Form to deliver the Killing-Strike.

Depends which bit of lore you want to take, i believe the classic werewolf lore has that they only turn during a full moon and are not really responsible for there actions while turned

But if we are taking that bit of lore why are we not taking the immune to everything except silver? silver bullets were the only way to put down werewolves so unless a death claw happens to have silver claws they are going to be a bit fucked if we go for the more mythical lore sort of werewolf

I'm pretty sure in the "can only be killed by silver" lore they're more referring to how humans could possibly kill one, if nothing else being torn limb from limb by a deathclaw's pure strength in a straight up fight would probably do the trick. It may not "die" really, but it wouldn't be much of a threat either at that point.

I'm pretty sure in the "can only be killed by silver" lore they're more referring to how humans could possibly kill one, if nothing else being torn limb from limb by a deathclaw's pure strength in a straight up fight would probably do the trick. It may not "die" really, but it wouldn't be much of a threat either at that point.

It's a good point. However the narrative would probably go:-

Deathclaw faces off to Werewolf.

Both parties momentarily contemplate each other.

Deathclaw swings and hits Werewolf.

Werewolf looks down at wound. Looks up and smiles.

Deathclaw eviscerates Werewolf.

Werewolf re-amalgamates itself.

Deathclaw eviscerates Werewolf.

Werewolf re-amalgamates itself.

etc..

Deathclaw wears itself out, and reformed Werewolf rips Deathclaw apart.

i.e. If  the 'Lore' says that only silver can kill it and regardless of the whole Twilight teen fantasy thing, your Werewolf under the aforementioned only susceptible to silver criteria is going to be way more alien, rather than the portrayed beastality fetish icon. (Think something more like 'The Thing', 'Species' or even the Blob - but more hairy)

Mind Beth werewolves are a bit crap.

Guest ...failure

I love Werewolfs/Lycans but it's crystal clear that Deathclaw for the win, unless Werewolf found a weakness while battling a Deathclaw...

Archived