Weight Question

Here is an updated version. Have any more suggestions on what I could do with either the pelvis or the thigh bones? I t

I would suggest removing the 'blue' weights at the top, leave that section for the pelvis bone to take care of, then test/adjust from there.

screenshot__6__by_moon_scape-daj4maz.pngscreenshot__7__by_moon_scape-daj4mak.pngscreenshot6_by_moon_scape-daj4mc9.jpg

I would suggest removing the 'blue' weights at the top, leave that section for the pelvis bone to take care of, then test/adjust from there.

I wish it was easier to do. I have tried several combinations between the thigh bones, but nothing seems to work. 

I wish it were easier too. When I run into issues I always look for an existing example to go by. In this case, the forsworn armor has this same kind of long piece that hangs in front of the legs. Looking at that, it does not rely on either the pelvis or thigh bones, it's all full weighted to the skirt bones (with only a little bit along the top for the pelvis). Perhaps you could try that.

I wish it were easier too. When I run into issues I always look for an existing example to go by. In this case, the forsworn armor has this same kind of long piece that hangs in front of the legs. Looking at that, it does not rely on either the pelvis or thigh bones, it's all full weighted to the skirt bones (with only a little bit along the top for the pelvis). Perhaps you could try that.

Alrighty, I just gave the forsworn cloth a try. I messed around with it and deleted the thigh weights, and tried to evenly paint weights onto the skirt bones, but that still didn't work. I then retried it a few times and the same thing happened. I kept  messing around with the weights, but couldn't get it to work unfortunately. So then I tried to do it one last time before getting off, and this happened. I don't know what I did differently, but it resulted in this: (which I haven't moved or edited any of the weights). 

I am not very good at this, as you can see lol. But I was wondering if you could possibly explain to me how the cloth is being stretched to the right? I am assuming that it is due to the right thigh having the 1.0 red paint on it, but I just don't understand how that would stretch the fabric to the far right, especially when it's not even in that exact area.  (Sorry if this is confusing, but I really really do appreciate your help!)

I've also have tried using Nocturnal's dress and Tsun's armor, which neither have worked either.

screenshot10_by_moon_scape-daj8hmm.jpgscreenshot__9__by_moon_scape_daj8hlb_by_

screenshot__10__by_moon_scape_daj8hkz_byscreenshot__12__by_moon_scape_daj8hke_by

You've picked a fairly hard project here.  Not sure I can even explain how to do it and troubleshoot all the different possible errors that can happen without it taking days.  Post the nif and when I've got time I'll rig it and send you the finished nif (and max file so you can use it in future)

what version of max?

If you do want to continue trying yourself ravendiers Draconic bloodline (easy google) set has a plate armour set with HDTpe enabled loincloths attached - I would use those as references.

Does Max not have a bone weight copy script that you can copy weights from one object to another? You keep saying you're hand painting. That's difficult for beginners. As I said above, you should have no weighting on the thigh bones. I would have liked to see the results of your painting the skirt bones.

The other thing you can do is import an idle animation, so you can test your results in Max and not have to constantly go in game to see your changes, you can see results in real time.

Does Max not have a bone weight copy script that you can copy weights from one object to another? You keep saying you're hand painting. That's difficult for beginners. As I said above, you should have no weighting on the thigh bones. I would have liked to see the results of your painting the skirt bones.

The other thing you can do is import an idle animation, so you can test your results in Max and not have to constantly go in game to see your changes, you can see results in real time

I am not quite sure about the bone weight copy script. I have been blending the weights between the UNP body and the modeled mesh. And then I'll go in and fix some of the weights, but every time I try, I don't quite know where to start.

I have imported the running animation into 3ds Max, but I prefer going into Skyrim since I am kind of less intimidated by it lol. 

Thank you again!

skirt.nif

You've picked a fairly hard project here.  Not sure I can even explain how to do it and troubleshoot all the different possible errors that can happen without it taking days.  Post the nif and when I've got time I'll rig it and send you the finished nif (and max file so you can use it in future)

what version of max?

If you do want to continue trying yourself ravendiers Draconic bloodline (easy google) set has a plate armour set with HDTpe enabled loincloths attached - I would use those as references.

I am using 3ds Max 2016

I attached the .nif file to the above post, so whenever you can, go ahead and take a look at it please.

Thank you.

I think there will always be stretching between spots like the breast and legs if the mesh goes over the whole area. I have fixed stretching like that before by removing the weight painting for like the thighs and adding a different one like one of the spines. I tried to see if I could do anything using outfit studio but the mesh has a few problems. There is no dismemberment for the skirt at all so you can't add bone nodes to the nif at all and exporting the skirt in .OBJ format and then loading it into outfit studio which will add the required dismemberment to the nif also causes the front mesh to disappear and only the trim and back layer remain.

Archived