Scrolling issue traced to game engine and my computer but I'm clueless

Faxroux

The gamebryo engine (if that is the engine used) seems to hate my laptop's track pad. On both Oblivion and New Vegas (but it is mainly a problem on Oblivion), using the mouse to scroll can quickly BREAK scrolling for the rest of the play through.

It's not just the game. The game plays fine and smooth. It's not mods, because for one the mods run fine in all ways, but the main reason is....this happens even in a fresh installed vanilla version of these games. 

It's something about my trackpad and the engine. Every other game has scrolling I can actually use. Same in normal applications.

What happens is that I click on the scroll bar in something like my inventory. Then one of two things happens:

1) Scrolls to the bottom, won't go back up. Using arrow keys to go up does not work.

2) Scrolls to the top, won't go down. CAN use arrow keys to go down and enter to select something. Placing the mouse over the menu however will cause it to scroll rapidly back to the top though.

In both, scrolling with the mouse and clicking menu items with the mouse is broken until I restart the game where using the mouse is fine until it inevitably breaks again. As you can see, one of these things will break a play more than the other...when the menu is trapped at the bottom, I can't select anything above that and that can be a problem.

I have spent a long time googling a solution. I tried disabling some features/settings of the trackpad by manually editing their codes following some online instructions. Did not fix it. Performed antivirus scans, no fix. And of course, uninstalled, reinstalled games. Updated mouse drivers, etc.

I am not sure what to do at this point. The games are playable as long as I keep my inventory small, but it can become a hindrance regardless. I do not expect a miracle, but perhaps someone else has had this problem and managed to fix it. I'm willing to answer any questions  and perform tasks on a quest to fix it.

Archived