Why do people keep using UNP when we have CBBE/UUNP Bodyslide?

I can't stand unp it is taking away from CBBE outfit development. For example you won't be able to convert calyps red and black dark brotherhood replacer or whatever it is called to CBBE it just won't work. Had that author been using CBBE it would have never been a problem. CBBE with jiggling boobs and butt is much better to look at than unp which is just kinda, below average like real life. No, I don't want to see tiny boobs and average body I want to see big boobs and nice ass dammit!

The other thing would be if someone had built up a large collection of armours and clothes for the unp body, especially with a lot of skin showing. They'd have to find the bodyslide versions of all those armours and clothes (If they even existed). 

You do not have to use BodySlide compatible armors for BodySlide generated body. UNP base body can be found from BodySlide preset files.

It is just if you do not use BodySlide compatible armors, then they will not conform with other body preset - merged or custom - in game.

Peoples using the default UNP/CBBE bodies can benefit from BodySlide version. For example, if you want to use items which are not made for UNP body and would clip with it, but have support for UUNP sliders, then you can still run those items to match with your base UNP body in BodySlide.

It is not about what you need to provide for BodySlide. It is about what you can provide with BodySlide.

I don't use it because no one has converted every UNP outfit I use for UUNP. It irks me tremendously when my characters' bodies noticeably change size when equipping more showy outfits, so unless I discover UUNP versions of everything I use, I will never switch. And since its unlikely that some of the more obscure stuff I use will ever see a conversion, well...

I can't stand unp it is taking away from CBBE outfit development. For example you won't be able to convert calyps red and black dark brotherhood replacer or whatever it is called to CBBE it just won't work. Had that author been using CBBE it would have never been a problem. CBBE with jiggling boobs and butt is much better to look at than unp which is just kinda, below average like real life. No, I don't want to see tiny boobs and average body I want to see big boobs and nice ass dammit!

Dim99 is superior with 3d modeling sculpting body. Dim will never rehash his existing body replacer for another game unless there's reason to. If DIm made a body for Fallout 4, it wouldn't be a UNP rehash.

Dim99 is superior with 3d modeling sculpting body. Dim will never rehash his existing body replacer for another game unless there's reason to. If DIm made a body for Fallout 4, it wouldn't be a UNP rehash.

Hopefuly he will never do that

Have 2.75 individual systems of body (evb/cbbe/atomic/feet fool) is already a disaster

My experience with CBBE lasted for less than a week, back in the time I couldn't stand the sight of how the female torso had no volume at all, it's as if the chest didn't have bones in it. If you'd lessen the size of breasts the chest would become this hideous mass of stretched gum connecting the arms, neck and waist.

The Second thing I couldn't stand about CBBE was seeing how elbows and knees bended like straws. I understand those are no longer true, mostly thanks to bodyslide recycling CBBE.

Nowadays I use UUNP, happy with it, to some extent. My custom sliders go from a skiny yet healthy body shape at 0 and an almost chubby at 100.

That said, Bodyslide is a pain in he ass. A lot of the filters are redundant, the main Bodyslide app actualy has a neat selection of sliders to deal with customization, then EVERYTHING else is different ways to filter, group, regroup... I end up using just the body select and the batch build button (where I select which outfits to build).

Then there's the Outfit studio. That thing should be awesome... It starts of with the right foot, than it trips on itsef... It makes me go back to to dealing with the one thing I wish I could stay away from for good, the default CBBE bodyshape, because even if I use UUNP, I have to morph other bodies into a CBBEish body shape before morphing it again with custom sliders... Then there's the iffy weight painting, weight transfer, misaligned outfits... And also... file size, if you use bodyslider, your outfits folder + Caliente's folder triplicates in size.

When you get involuntary addicted to fixing all the crash and instability stuff Skyrim goes through, and you do manage it, you turn to Outfit Studio. Instead of spending an afternoon trying to get your game not to crash, you spend an afternoon trying to get that CBBE outfit into your custom UUNP curves without clipping when things starts to jiggle.

Very important: Relying on manual editing xmls for functionality IS NOT Functionality. It's simply editing xmls to do stuff that wasn't included to begin with.

My experience with CBBE lasted for less than a week, back in the time I couldn't stand the sight of how the female torso had no volume at all, it's as if the chest didn't have bones in it. If you'd lessen the size of breasts the chest would become this hideous mass of stretched gum connecting the arms, neck and waist.

The Second thing I couldn't stand about CBBE was seeing how elbows and knees bended like straws. I understand those are no longer true, mostly thanks to bodyslide recycling CBBE.

Nowadays I use UUNP, happy with it, to some extent. My custom sliders go from a skiny yet healthy body shape at 0 and an almost chubby at 100.

That said, Bodyslide is a pain in he ass. A lot of the filters are redundant, the main Bodyslide app actualy has a neat selection of sliders to deal with customization, then EVERYTHING else is different ways to filter, group, regroup... I end up using just the body select and the batch build button (where I select which outfits to build).

Then there's the Outfit studio. That thing should be awesome... It starts of with the right foot, than it trips on itsef... It makes me go back to to dealing with the one thing I wish I could stay away from for good, the default CBBE bodyshape, because even if I use UUNP, I have to morph other bodies into a CBBEish body shape before morphing it again with custom sliders... Then there's the iffy weight painting, weight transfer, misaligned outfits... And also... file size, if you use bodyslider, your outfits folder + Caliente's folder triplicates in size.

When you get involuntary addicted to fixing all the crash and instability stuff Skyrim goes through, and you do manage it, you turn to Outfit Studio. Instead of spending an afternoon trying to get your game not to crash, you spend an afternoon trying to get that CBBE outfit into your custom UUNP curves without clipping when things starts to jiggle.

Very important: Relying on manual editing xmls for functionality IS NOT Functionality. It's simply editing xmls to do stuff that wasn't included to begin with.

UUNP shares the CBBE base shape so that CBBE BodySlide outfits can easily be converted to UUNP BodySlide outfits and the other way around.

If it was any other base shape, say UNPB, you would have to morph your standard UNP outfits to that anyway, or the other way around.

I don't know where you got the manual XML editing thing from, you don't need to edit XML files for anything at all using BodySlide or Outfit Studio.

Outfit Studio saves your project .osp files, BodySlide saves your preset .xml files and the group manager in BodySlide saves your group .xml files.

i just wanted to let you know, as a fan of that show, your profile picture is awesome.

I love UUNP but it does have problems, and in the future, I will stick to CBBE or UNP (Allready am on fallout 4), this is simply because more armour supports it and it, yes it has more customisation options but its just annoying going onto forums and asking modders to edit their armour, this is worse when mods you are looking for arn't popular and is impossible to be converted

An example for me was the (West wind armour collection) I wish I could have used that mod (Just for the body straps) but I thought it wasnt worth the time loosing my collection of UUNP conversions I allready had (which took a very long time!)  Luckily the Dwarven bikini armour was released and that had body straps, since then I dont try and meddle with anything else and just keep UUNP (I did play around with bodychanges via MCM but gave up with that)

Wish you could customise if you want belly, butt and boob physics with a tick box though sad.png

I switched from UNP to Bodyslide UUNP myself but I understand why some people wouldn't. Personally I use UUNP with the UNP preset for most of my clothes but if I do have the option of using a UNP outfit that was modelled by hand specifically for the UNP shape, I choose that because I know it will have better quality than anything generated by Bodyslide.

First of all, Bodyslide can ruin intricate meshes if it's asked to downsize them by a large factor, which is the case with the UNP preset. It's less noticeable on the _1 weight, but very hard to ignore on _0 meshes. All sorts of buckles, rings, brooches, holsters, buttons and such around the chest area get horribly deformed. Maybe it's got nothing to do with Bodyslide, maybe it's just the slider creators who failed but the fact remains that the effect is just ugly.

And then there are also modellers who take pride in their work and want to retain full control of how their meshes look. Bodyslide's algorithms will never match the precision of manual modelling.

I switched from UNP to Bodyslide UUNP myself but I understand why some people wouldn't. Personally I use UUNP with the UNP preset for most of my clothes but if I do have the option of using a UNP outfit that was modelled by hand specifically for the UNP shape, I choose that because I know it will have better quality than anything generated by Bodyslide.

First of all, Bodyslide can ruin intricate meshes if it's asked to downsize them by a large factor, which is the case with the UNP preset. It's less noticeable on the _1 weight, but very hard to ignore on _0 meshes. All sorts of buckles, rings, brooches, holsters, buttons and such around the chest area get horribly deformed. Maybe it's got nothing to do with Bodyslide, maybe it's just the slider creators who failed but the fact remains that the effect is just ugly.

And then there are also modellers who take pride in their work and want to retain full control of how their meshes look. Bodyslide's algorithms will never match the precision of manual modelling.

You're correct, and yes it's more of the BodySlide conversion creator's fault than it is Outfit Studio's fault.

If you look at some of my BodySlide conversions for Fallout 4 (vanilla outfits, some underwear and other mods), you will see that every single slider for all of the conversions are looking perfectly fine in all combinations (unless you go way too extreme). I'm not saying I'm the only one who does it correctly, but a lot of people don't want to bother.

By the way, you can still do manual work even when using BodySlide.

Each slider can be exported to OBJ/FBX files and tweaked by hand in any 3D program.

Of course that's a lot of work, so those "modelers who take pride in their work" still prefer to use one specific body shape.

That's fine, I'm the same way (about my BodySlide conversions). But at least don't be a d*** about it (like various people in the Nexus and LL communities are). :)

You're correct, and yes it's more of the BodySlide conversion creator's fault than it is Outfit Studio's fault.

If you look at some of my BodySlide conversions for Fallout 4 (vanilla outfits, some underwear and other mods), you will see that every single slider for all of the conversions are looking perfectly fine in all combinations (unless you go way too extreme). I'm not saying I'm the only one who does it correctly, but a lot of people don't want to bother.

Each slider can be exported to OBJ/FBX files and tweaked by hand in any 3D program.

Of course that's a lot of work, so those "modelers who take pride in their work" still prefer to use one specific body shape.

That's fine, I'm the same way (about my BodySlide conversions). But at least don't be a d*** about it (like various people in the Nexus and LL communities are). :)

Nope, the point about the Fallout 4 vanilla outfit conversions simply isn't true, while the CBBE vanilla outfits are high poly (and definitely not converted with Outfitstudio, vanilla meshes doesn't have this poly count), texture distortion are there right from the start (except the CBBE Vanilla body outfits) and get worse when bodyslided (and not just with extreme values). But this is simply normal, why hiding the truth?

I use UNP because it already is ready to go and user friendly...I have downloaded BodySlide but don't use it since It is too complicated for me...YES I KNOW there's a tutorial here and other sites and in youtube describing how to edit things in bodyslide but I AM AN IDIOT and the tutorials there are not idiot proof and assumes you have knowledge of things like meshes and where to put them and which goes where and wtf...if there was an idiot proof tutorial detailing how to use STEP BY STEP and EXPLAINING SOME KEYWORDS or have a GLOSSARY of keywords then I could use other bodytypes or make my own and make my own costumes as well...until then it's all goblydegook to me...

TL;DR: I use UNP because I'm an Idiot and it is "ready made"...

Nope, the point about the Fallout 4 vanilla outfit conversions simply isn't true, while the CBBE vanilla outfits are high poly (and definitely not converted with Outfitstudio, vanilla meshes doesn't have this poly count), texture distortion are there right from the start (except the CBBE Vanilla body outfits) and get worse when bodyslided (and not just with extreme values). But this is simply normal, why hiding the truth?

The vanilla meshes by Bethesda already look bad without BodySlide. They have like 4 polygons per breast and ass cheek. :P

I'm not hiding the truth, as I said you can tweak all the sliders in regular 3D programs, but nobody wants to because it's work.

The CBBE Vanilla Outfits I converted are all Bethesda's meshes without any edits, except for the vault suit and the two dresses.

I added more polygons to those three using Blender and then imported them back into OS.

The others didn't have any changes done to them except for the shape and sliders.

The vanilla meshes by Bethesda already look bad without BodySlide. They have like 4 polygons per breast and ass cheek. :P

I'm not hiding the truth, as I said you can tweak all the sliders in regular 3D programs, but nobody wants to because it's work.

The CBBE Vanilla Outfits I converted are all Bethesda's meshes without any edits, except for the vault suit and the two dresses.

I added more polygons to those three using Blender and then imported them back into OS.

The others didn't have any changes done to them except for the shape and sliders.

Which doesn't answer my point about texture distortions, and yes I checked just the vault suit because that's the only outfit I was interested in, haven't thought of that the other outfits didn't got this attention.

Which doesn't answer my point about texture distortions, and yes I checked just the vault suit because that's the only outfit I was interested in, haven't thought of that the other outfits didn't got this attention.

Well yes, having different shapes for the same meshes will always have some downsides.

That's just how meshes (topologies) work in general.

Usually when you create a mesh from scratch or make it game-ready, you create the topology in a way where it fits well for the base body.

However, some of those topologies may not work for women without breasts or with huge breasts. The topology of the CBBE body itself, compared to for example UNP, was also made to work better with sliders (more uniformly distributed triangles).

Actually the only real issue here is the breasts and the breast area. The other parts of the body are mostly scaled in a way where it can't really distort anything too much.

Of course that's no excuse, but having everything be customizable the way people want is more important to me than having a bit of texture distortion sometimes. You can always tweak the sliders that are used in your preset for the outfit by loading the project in OS and pulling the mesh around, or even exporting the slider to Blender/3ds max.

It's also a bigger problem for Skyrim, where the base shape of the bodies (CBBE/UUNP) are way larger. That was never an intentional decision, it was just what CBBE v1.0 looked like, so all future BodySlide projects had to use that shape to stay backwards compatible. We immediately changed that in FO4.

To clarify: I don't disagree with you. Bodyslide is as close to a single standard as Skyrim has ever gotten (and it took us way too long) and people who are not developing for it are outliers who would make life easier for everyone if they conformed.

But as I also noted, if the only available sliders are sloppily put together and the original outfit was made with care and looks better, I will happily give up racemenu morphs, belly nodes and whatever other stuff I don't use, and wear the better quality outfit. Those situations are rare but they do happen often enough that I'm not comfortable committing to Bodyslide exclusively.

And I have tried to fix things but I'm a script writer, not an artist, modelling is a tiresome and unintuitive process for me, I've fiddled with Outfit Studio and I was never happy with my results so I'm almost completely dependent on the sliders created by other people and their quality varies a lot. I'd rather have a less functional but pretty outfit than be stuck with a fully featured HDT zapping morphing bells and whistles whatever bodyslide conversion that I can't look at and don't know how to fix myself.

For the record I haven't played FO4 yet so I don't know how things look there but my experience with Skyrim has shown that while Bodyslide is usually a decent answer, it's not always the best one. I prefer to decide it for myself on an outfit by outfit basis.

To clarify: I don't disagree with you. Bodyslide is as close to a single standard as Skyrim has ever gotten (and it took us way too long) and people who are not developing for it are outliers who would make life easier for everyone if they conformed.

But as I also noted, if the only available sliders are sloppily put together and the original outfit was made with care and looks better, I will happily give up racemenu morphs, belly nodes and whatever other stuff I don't use, and wear the better quality outfit. Those situations are rare but they do happen often enough that I'm not comfortable committing to Bodyslide exclusively.

And I have tried to fix things but I'm a script writer, not an artist, modelling is a tiresome and unintuitive process for me, I've fiddled with Outfit Studio and I was never happy with my results so I'm almost completely dependent on the sliders created by other people and their quality varies a lot. I'd rather have a less functional but pretty outfit than be stuck with a fully featured HDT zapping morphing bells and whistles whatever bodyslide conversion that I can't look at and don't know how to fix myself.

For the record I haven't played FO4 yet so I don't know how things look there but my experience with Skyrim has shown that while Bodyslide is usually a decent answer, it's not always the best one. I prefer to decide it for myself on an outfit by outfit basis.

Yeah that's fine, I've never said BodySlide is perfect. I just get triggered when people say it's the ultimate evil of modding.

It's a bit better in FO4, because the base body is smaller and more neutral.

Well yes, having different shapes for the same meshes will always have some downsides.

That's just how meshes (topologies) work in general.

Usually when you create a mesh from scratch or make it game-ready, you create the topology in a way where it fits well for the base body.

However, some of those topologies may not work for women without breasts or with huge breasts. The topology of the CBBE body itself, compared to for example UNP, was also made to work better with sliders (more uniformly distributed triangles).

Actually the only real issue here is the breasts and the breast area. The other parts of the body are mostly scaled in a way where it can't really distort anything too much.

Of course that's no excuse, but having everything be customizable the way people want is more important to me than having a bit of texture distortion sometimes. You can always tweak the sliders that are used in your preset for the outfit by loading the project in OS and pulling the mesh around, or even exporting the slider to Blender/3ds max.

It's also a bigger problem for Skyrim, where the base shape of the bodies (CBBE/UUNP) are way larger. That was never an intentional decision, it was just what CBBE v1.0 looked like, so all future BodySlide projects had to use that shape to stay backwards compatible. We immediately changed that in FO4.

I already know that, that's why I said "But this is simply normal".

About mesh distortions, which is also normal if you don't rework the mesh vert by vert:

compare.jpg

Yep, the sliders for this conversion work perfectly fine! By the way, the right mesh isn't slided at all.

The problem is you are telling people that OS is a proper tool to covert outfits, which it simply isn't.

For me it's because i don't like big giant watermelon tits and I could never figure out how to convert outfits to the shape i want. So i'd set up my cbbe body and grab a vunch of armor/clothing mods and as soon as they wear them BAM! Tits bigger then their heads lol. UNP has alot of armor i like and the "Hmm what to wear" is something i always install. Right now i'm using all unp things and the citrus body and i broke all my characters. The image below demonstrates how EVERY female npc in the game looks clothed and unclothed at the moment... =/

72pdgoO.jpg

I've asked on a few threads what i'm doing wrong and no one has an answer. So it's probably time to start figuring out how to work with bodyslide. lol.

For me it's because i don't like big giant watermelon tits and I could never figure out how to convert outfits to the shape i want. So i'd set up my cbbe body and grab a vunch of armor/clothing mods and as soon as they wear them BAM! Tits bigger then their heads lol. UNP has alot of armor i like and the "Hmm what to wear" is something i always install. Right now i'm using all unp things and the citrus body and i broke all my characters. The image below demonstrates how EVERY female npc in the game looks clothed and unclothed at the moment... =/

72pdgoO.jpg

I've asked on a few threads what i'm doing wrong and no one has an answer. So it's probably time to start figuring out how to work with bodyslide. lol.

Bodyslide is all about character body range customization so there aren't going to be any mammaries larger than anyone's head if you didn't specifically set them to be able to get that large at the 100 weight side of the scale. If you wanted, everyone could all be flat chested and boxy hipped as if someone cast a hex that bought an end to puberty in Skyrim.

72pdgoO.jpg

Bodyslide is all about character body range customization so there aren't going to be any mammaries larger than anyone's head if you didn't specifically set them to be able to get that large at the 100 weight side of the scale. If you wanted, everyone could all be flat chested and boxy hipped as if someone cast a hex that bought an end to puberty in Skyrim.

lol, I do like the uunp bodies and i'm not looking to end skyrims puberty. I think it's the clothing i downloaded that had the settings set to redonkkulous tittays.  I just find it hard to figure out where these mystery settings are to adjust NPCs without editing each individually and praying i haven't screwed up. My perfect body mod would be if i could click on an NPC and do showracmenu and use that to edit NPCs. it's just too much of a pain in the ass for me to do it out of game so i normally stick with UNP because it's simple and consistent... although I would love to figure out bodyslide someday. I'll probably take the time to learn it properly when I get FO4. Still waiting for the mods to build up before i jump down that rabbit hole.

• 2 weeks later...