Playing with Outfit Studio

Karna5

I've been asked by a few people to explain how I used Outfit Studio to make a variation of the charred vault suit in which the stump is on the left arm instead of the right.

XEyIBi6I.jpg

Step One:

I began with the base body I wanted to use. For this I could use anything. I could use the "xy Sturges (No Shirt" or a bikini mod project or anything. I basically began with what I wanted to have the stump, and I made sure it was a project which had a CBBE reference shape (because I always also add physics) and would have everything I wanted except for the stump.

Step Two:

Now I needed to get the "Charred Arm Wrap" and "Charred Barbed Wire" parts from the Charred Vault Suit mod. But I needed it to be the zero-sliders version, not the version built by bodyslide to have a preset.

In windows I navigated to Tools\BodySlide\ShapeData\CROSS_Charred_Outfit_f_NoArm\ wherein is the NIF called CROSS_Charred_Outfit_f_NoArm.nif.

I dragged that NIF with my mouse (left button) into the picture of the outfit I had in outfit studio. This inserted the charred suit outfit parts into my project.

Next I deleted all new parts (all of them) except for the Charred Arm Wrap and the Charred Barbed Wire.

Step Three:

If I'm only going to keep the right arm like the default charred vault suit mod has, I can skip this step. This step is for making a version which stumps the other arm, the left arm.

I right clicked the "Charred_Arm_Armwrap" element in the Meshes category and selected "Duplicate" to make a copy. I named the copy RightArmWrap so I'd know this was for the right arm.

I right clicked RightArmWrap and selected Rotate, and then rotated the X and Y 180 degrees.

I right clicked RightArmWrap and used the Move feature to position it where I wanted on the right arm. It took a little tweaking, but soon enough it was there. If it had a piece I didn't like popping up, I used the "Decrease Mesh" brush to push it into the arm where it's not visible.

Now I repeated this for the Charred_BarbedWire and made a right side RightBarbedWire. I used the "Increase Mesh" button as needed to make it look nice over the wrap, too.

post-329647-0-82225700-1474206618_thumb.jpg

Step Four:

I needed to create a zap slider to hide the arms. So I selected the CBBE reference shape as the mesh and changed the Tool type to "Mask"  in the menu. Now I painted the parts of the body I would want to be zapped away. When it was all painted I selected "Tools->Invert Mask" to flip what's selected.

And I selected "Slider->New Zap Slider" to create a ZapArm zap slider.

Step Five:

I did Sliders->Conform All to make sure the new pieces would conform to the bodyslide sliders.  If I had physics on the original outfit I also right clicked each new piece and selected "copy bone weights" though I think you should do this anyway even if you don't do physics.

Step Six:

I saved the project as a new name so I would leave the original project intact. I had the output mesh go into a different directory so I could create an ESP using FO4Edit to use that mesh.

Step Seven:

I used BodySlide to build the new mesh where I wanted it.

Side Note:

The Charred Vault Suit mod puts the hand NIF into the body NIF. I do not like this method because you can't use outfit studio to add breast physics to the body and have the hands there, too.

So instead I used outfit studio to create a hands-only NIF. I started a new project, opened the femalehands.nif and then added a zap slider to zap the hand I didn't want. I had the project save the hands NIF to the same directory step six used, and I built the NIF in bodyslide.  If both hands will be missing you don't need to do this, but if the left or right hand will be missing you do.

Step Eight:

Now I had a NIF of the body the way I wanted it with one or both arms missing, and I had a secondary NIF of the hand I wanted to be gone missing, too.

I had to use FO4Edit to link it to the game. I have an ESP I use to keep adding new outfits to my game, but if you don't have an ESP of your own already just open an ESP with a similar outfit you like and for that outfit copy as new records into your new ESP:

- the Armor Addon

- the Armor

At first it will make you add the original ESP as a master. If it was somebody else' mod and not a main fallout ESP, you can clean up the masters later to unlink it.  Easiest would be if you picked something simple like a vanilla outfit, though, so you don't have to clean the masters later.

Body:  In the Armor Addon section I changed the female world model to use my body NIF i created:

\OneArm\FemaleBody03.nif

For the slots on the body I used 33 (body), 52 (scalp) and 53 (decapitation).

Hands:  For a basis for the hands you could either copy the vanilla FamaleHands or any gloves.

In my Armor Addon section of the hands I changed the Female world model to be my OneArm\FemaleHands.nif I had created in bodyslide with a hand missing.  If left hand would show I added slot 34. If right hand would show I added slot 35.

Armor:

Once I had the Armor Addons for body and hands, I changed the following for my armor:

- gave it a Full Name I'd want it to have in game

- gave it slot 33 for body

- if I wanted left hand to show, I added slot 34. If I wanted right hand to show, I added slot 35.

For Models I added the ArmorAddon I had created for the body (for me it was AAGbodyOneArm03, but for you it would be whatever you called it).

For the hands, if you will have a hand, I added another Model for the special hand NIF I made. For instance, for me it was AAGNakedHandsOne.  Note that if both arms are stumps, you don't need to add a hand NIF, and you don't need to use slots 34 or 35.

That's the basics. You can figure out the rest from there such as how to add a constructable object instead of using a console command to add it. You can also add resistances and special powers, but that's a different topic.

6A10tAWb.jpg x2guca1d.jpg

I received a question from a friend asking: "I notice the armour you manage to convert are the ones without additional arm protection meshes, is the the limitations of outfit studio? Also is the option in outfit studio to blackout meshes equivalent to erase meshes?"

No, the reason I mostly work with full-body outfits (rather than arms armor, torso armor, legs armor, gloves, etc.) is that most of what I do is to take an outfit I like and add physics to it. And while I'm in that process I do also like to remove pieces I think don't look how I want my character to look and maybe add other pieces from other outfits I'd like. But Outfit Studio works just as well with arms, legs, hands, etc. as it does with full body.

The other difference is that if you look at an outfit's ESP in FO4Edit you'll see that different outfits have different slots.  33 is the body, and then each armor slot and accessory slot has a different number. An outfit can use multiple slots, or you can create outfits to go over just one slot. For instance, an arms armor outfit will typically go over the slots for left and right armor which does not displace slot 33 but does displace another outfit with arms armor slots.

My friend also asked:  "Also is the option in outfit studio to blackout meshes equivalent to erase meshes?"

The zap sliders created from masked (or inverted masked) parts of an outfit allow you to make mesh portions be invisible in-game without having to permanently erase them from the NIF. This allows you to erase meshes and then change your mind and build them in bodyslide without them erased, or it allows you to create various versions of the same outfit.

Before I learned to use the zap slider feature I used to actually delete the pieces I didn't want in Outfit Studio or used to "Remove Branch" the pieces I didn't want in NifSkope. Actually I still do that sometimes where I truly want to erase a NIF but want to use the outfit. For instance, Spartan Armor has a toothpick which I like because I can craft into it legendary modificiation, but I don't really like having something stick out of my character's face all the time. So I removed the mesh from the toothpick but still wear it on all my characters.

Finally, I'd like to mention that I am not an expert in BodySlide or NifSkope or anything like that. The truly expert questions would need to be answered by Cell or some of the true artists who create the more complex outfits from scratch and then import them into the game. I have tried using some of the programs like blender, but I am genuinely legally blind, and even with a 50" monitor I can't see a lot of the little buttons and text required for using those programs. So I stick to the user friendly stuff like Outfit Studio which Cell made and which I like a lot. (Thanks, Cell.)

I must've missed something here. I'm having serious trouble understanding the Zap Slider and/or mask-functionality.

Right now I've backed up the glove-less version of the Charred suit and I'm going to town on it with the mask-brush. After I've masked something, I select Tools > New Zap Slider, I name it, and a new slider appears in the list down on the right. What I can do there is move the slider, and all that does to move the area I've masked (or the area I've not masked, if I invert it after the fact) slightly in the Y-axle, and select/de-select the slider, but nothing I do seems to hide the texture when I actually try it out in the game. (And yes, I remember to 'export nif with reference', and I even restart the game.

Excellent work so far, but I'm seriously confused by this.

I must've missed something here. I'm having serious trouble understanding the Zap Slider and/or mask-functionality.

Right now I've backed up the glove-less version of the Charred suit and I'm going to town on it with the mask-brush. After I've masked something, I select Tools > New Zap Slider, I name it, and a new slider appears in the list down on the right. What I can do there is move the slider, and all that does to move the area I've masked (or the area I've not masked, if I invert it after the fact) slightly in the Y-axle, and select/de-select the slider, but nothing I do seems to hide the texture when I actually try it out in the game. (And yes, I remember to 'export nif with reference', and I even restart the game.

Excellent work so far, but I'm seriously confused by this.

I know what you mean, Snakeskinducttape. I had a lot of trouble figuring out the zap slider instructions.

I'll try to list the steps. Let's pretend we want the left arm hidden.

1.  Select Mask brush in the tools

2.  Select in the Mesh menu on the right the part you want to change.

3.  Paint the parts of the left arm you want to disappear, getting all around it.

4.  Select "Invert Mask"

5.  Select "New Zap Slider"

6.  Name it

7.  Save the project

8.  Restart bodyslide (or at least move to something else and back), and then look at your project. You'll see it has the new zap slider.

Additional info:

If you look inside the *.osp file in the slidersets directory you'll see the zap slider you made.  If you want it to default as on, set the default to 100. Otherwise set it to 0.

(Sorry if I misunderstood the question.)

Does this work in-game with animations and everything? Or is it just for screenshots?

Edit: Also, when you're talking about FO4Edit, are you talking about this? http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2737/? Or are you talking about the official toolkit (that can't actually do anything without you first messing around with ini-files)?

Yes, if there's an outfit which can't get physics, I don't wear it (it's unimmersive). Almost all outfits can get physics so long as they don't have skirt physics, so long as they have a reference body, and so long as the hands are not part of the body NIF.

The adding of physics is its own step, though, covered in other threads.

As for the mod, yes, that's the correct link to FO4Edit :)

Does this work in-game with animations and everything? Or is it just for screenshots?

Edit: Also, when you're talking about FO4Edit, are you talking about this? http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2737/? Or are you talking about the official toolkit (that can't actually do anything without you first messing around with ini-files)?

Yes, if there's an outfit which can't get physics, I don't wear it (it's unimmersive). Almost all outfits can get physics so long as they don't have skirt physics, so long as they have a reference body, and so long as the hands are not part of the body NIF.

The adding of physics is its own step, though, covered in other threads.

As for the mod, yes, that's the correct link to FO4Edit :)

Alright. I'm having trouble figuring that program out. I tried following your instructions, but half the stuff you referred to wasn't there.

When I tried exporting the nif with references and overwriting one of the Charred outfits, but even though the arm-wrap is placed perfectly in the outfit-studio, it just floats around in above my character's head when I play, and the left arm refuses to vanish.

Could you... upload a file where the left arm is missing, perhaps so that can be used as a starting-point for people who want to make their own versions of it? That would be kinda awesome.

I managed to make a functioning version with changed clothes by dumping the http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10362/? and http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/18337/? into the outfit studio, and remove the cbbe-mesh with both arms, and the meshes of the charred outfit, except for the armwrap, then exporting the nif with references and overwrite the NIF of one of the charred outfits.

But I really want my character to pull trigger while she's shooting, so:

What I've done is dump first the Wastelandgirl, followed by the armless version of the Charred Outfit, into the outfit studio. Then I delete (in the outfit studio, I mean) all the meshes that came with the charred body, including the CBBE, but not the armwrap (I don't care too much about the barbed wire). Then I switch the position of the armwrap by, as you said, rotating the X and Y-axle 180 degrees each, followed by some fine adjusting.

Then I mask the arm of the CBBE, the one from the wastelandgirl that is, do the invert-thing, create a new zap-slider, turn on the edit-mode (with tab), select 'zap', crank it up to 100, press okay, and turn off the editing of the new zap-slide(and turn it on again to make sure that it registered it properly). Then I select Conform All, and press all the elements in the box up on the right, and select 'copy bone weight' for each of them. Then I save the project as a New Project. I don't have physics on the armor (at least not if 'physics' mean bouncy breasts), but I do the copy-bone-weight-thing anyway.

If I select the outfit in bodyslide, it looks great in the preview. So that's good. Then I export the NIF with references and overwrite the armless charred version (I have a backup of the original, of course). If I select the armless charred version in the bodyslide, my version doesn't show in the preview, it only shows the original.

If I start the game, the clothes are changed, so it has some effect, even though bodyslide doesn't show it in the preview (like I said, it shows the unaltered original, even though I've overwritten the nif). However, the hands are gone, both arms are visible, and the arm-wrap is floating somewhere to the left of my character's head, moving a bit to the rear every time my character unholsters a gun and bobs around in tandem with the animations. And both arms are visible, of course, so the zap-slider-thing doesn't have any effect.

I guess that the armwrap is tied to the animation of the right arm, even though I want it to to respond to the movement of the left arm. I have absolutely no idea how to animate, and I don't really want to go into it. Why it starts of floating around so far away from where it's placed during a 'passive' animation however, I don't know :(

If you can get around this, especially with the FO4Edit, to remove the left arm, and make the armwrap actually attached to the left arm, I would really like some more detailed explanation. If not, I'm not sure I want to bother anyone with that.

It's too bad you can't upload your version. If it, works, if the left arm is really gone and the armwrap is placed correctly, it would be great to work from that. Can you ask for permission? I'm pretty sure that people upload 'mashups' of others' mods.

It's too bad you can't upload your version. If it, works, if the left arm is really gone and the armwrap is placed correctly, it would be great to work from that. Can you ask for permission? I'm pretty sure that people upload 'mashups' of others' mods.

Hi, Snakeskinducttape. I'm attaching my bodyslide files and a directory structure of what I used. You'll find some readme files in the meshes, textures and materials directories of what to put there since I'm not including those (they belong to the authors).

One or two of the outfits have Zenna boots in them, so you might need to install the Zenna outfits from here at Loverslab, too. But for what you need I don't think that's necessary.

My outfits have physics, by the way, so the bodyslide files will include that.

An ESP to go with the practice stuff is in there, too. The ESP even has an example of adding a medipump effect to the outfits and of making them constructable.

OneArmPractice.zip

Ok, lots of problems haha.

but first and foremost, the armour im trying to play with (slavesuit from suitdream) have no CBBE, only skin and suitslave, does this mean i cant operate this? i try to start my project with a CBBE body and import the armour, but the armour ended up not respond the bodysilde.

Cheers.

post-25088-0-43748300-1474548531_thumb.png

Ok, lots of problems haha.

but first and foremost, the armour im trying to play with (slavesuit from suitdream) have no CBBE, only skin and suitslave, does this mean i cant operate this? i try to start my project with a CBBE body and import the armour, but the armour ended up not respond the bodysilde.

Cheers.

attachicon.gifraider arm.png

Yeah, working with outfits which don't have reference shapes is a pain in the neck. I did a couple of hundred (including all suit dreams) a few months ago, but I don't do that anymore if I can help it.

As for the parts not responding to bodyslide, I think you may have forgotten the conform all step :) Don't forget also the copy bone weights.

Edit: I uninstalled suit dreams a while back so can't look in it. I liked the mod, but it kept changing and was too much work to keep putting physics into it.

Alright! Big can of awesomesauce!

It took a while, with a lot juggling between different bodytypes and nifs, but eventually, it worked. My character now has combat-boots, cargo pants, a camo-patterned corset, and the stump of her left arm is snuggly wrapped up. She's in ecstacy! :D

My process has been so convoluted in trying to figure out how to make this work and figure out what all the different nifs and projects and output-paths meant, but if anyone has the same problem as I've had, you can try this: If you've done all the steps, that ph4natom5 gave here, and maybe a few more, save your work as a new project, select it in bodyslide, build it, and replace the the NIF of the an outit you want to use with the NIF that bodyslide just made for you.

HUGE kudos, ph4ntom5. High six! (uuh, do you have an easy way for displaying the right hand in first person? Never mind the left one)

Now all my character wants is a pegleg or two, and some animations for them. Perhaps an extra tight vault-suit to go with it  :P

"Mmm! Suit me up tight and cripple me harder, baby!"

Edit: Oh, also! A tip for you who're okay with scrambling the game-balance: Download a mod where you can tape legendary mods to weapons at the workbench, and give your weapons the Never Ending quality. That way you can bypass the need to play reload-animations.

Question, at the very beginning when we start new project, do we have to begin with CBBE body from template for reference? because when i try to commence the project with an one armour, the shape drop list only allows one reference, and that is all the meshes i get to see. Im not really sure which one to choose, the armour i want to work with or armour CBBE.

Edit, ok i pushed through step 8 onward and i am so lost after that, i somehow manage to create a new esp but i dont get what you mean by "Armor: Once I had the Armor Addons for body and hands, I changed the following for my armor:"

post-25088-0-59911400-1474598286_thumb.png

How to add the armour in game or how do we access it. is the new ESP the armour in itself?

sorry about my never ending questions and thank you for your unyielding patients.

Snakeinducttape, congratulations! With regard to first person view, you could theoretically do zap sliders of one side for the firstperson NIF, but I didn't bother with that because it's to me more immersive to have the hand show up than to see something floating in the air :)

Question, at the very beginning when we start new project, do we have to begin with CBBE body from template for reference? because when i try to commence the project with an one armour, the shape drop list only allows one reference, and that is all the meshes i get to see. Im not really sure which one to choose, the armour i want to work with or armour CBBE.

Edit, ok i pushed through step 8 onward and i am so lost after that, i somehow manage to create a new esp but i dont get what you mean by "Armor: Once I had the Armor Addons for body and hands, I changed the following for my armor:"

attachicon.giftest.png

How to add the armour in game or how do we access it. is the new ESP the armour in itself?

sorry about my never ending questions and thank you for your unyielding patients.

I have to begin with a CBBE reference if:

1. It's a new project, or

2. the project I'm changing doesn't have a CBBE reference already.

If I'm changing a project that has a CBBE reference already, I just begin with that project.

If I'm working with a non-physics project that has a reference, I do still import a cbbephysics body temporarily, make it the reference temporarily (long enough to copy the bone weights to everything else), put back the original reference and then delete the cbbephysics NIF. But adding physics is a different thread.

If the ESP you have only includes the Armor Addons and Armor, the only way to add the outfit is through the console commands with:

help one 4 armo  (if, for example, I'm looking for armor with the word one in it)

player.additem [the ID for the armor I want] 1

In my practice ESP I added for download if you want it, though, you can see an example of making it a constructable object for crafting.

You could also use my ESP, if you want, as a starting point for your own. You'd probably want to rename it.

Oh we have to use console commands? im playing survival mode. GG

I dont suppose we can replace existing player made armour with ours?

But thanks for everything man.

You don't have to use console commands if you add the constructable object step (example in my ESP for download). If you give me a moment I'll come back and edit this post with a description of what I mean.

**opens FO4Edit**

Edit: Here's what I mean...

post-329647-0-42925200-1474621519_thumb.jpg

Oh we have to use console commands? im playing survival mode. GG

I dont suppose we can replace existing player made armour with ours?

But thanks for everything man.

Post Script: you might notice in my screen shot that I have a zillion constructable objects. That's because every outfit I make I also add a constructable object as the final step so I can add it to the game without a console command.

You may also notice that I have lots and lots of outfits called [something]body. That's because every time I see or make a bodyslide preset I like, I make an outfit for it so I can give it to myself, a settler or an NPC without having to change the whole world's preset.

In addition, I make outfit variations which use different body textures such as Ida, Caliente, Rad Tan, Nuclear Nude, Vex, Dirty Player, Dirty Raider, and Oni. This then lets me give an NPC (or me) a different texture without changing all NPCs and myself.

I literally switch skins and presets as outfits.

I have a different ESP for which I assign some of my various preset bodies to female minutemen so that my minutemen also look different instead of the generic GI-Joe army people. I control what they wear, though that took a whole lot of hours of experimentation to get adequately right. That I think was too complicated to put as a tutorial, but I can at least tell you it's possible in case you want to play around with that.

Hi ph4ntom5,

it seems you are a lill deeper then i am into the Bodyslide stuff^^

Thanks for this nice help thread.

I have a question - realy basic - cause i am still struggling with Bodyslide and outfit studio^^

In the moment i play arround with the piercings for my player character.

So the question is - is it possible in outfit Studio to combine meshes into one mesh?

Reason is - i want to wear a lots of piercings - in the moment i can wear only one - cause its bound to one slot of the Character.

And if i can combine all the piercings i want - how can i do that?

Thanks for your help.

Ava

Hi ph4ntom5,

it seems you are a lill deeper then i am into the Bodyslide stuff^^

Thanks for this nice help thread.

I have a question - realy basic - cause i am still struggling with Bodyslide and outfit studio^^

In the moment i play arround with the piercings for my player character.

So the question is - is it possible in outfit Studio to combine meshes into one mesh?

Reason is - i want to wear a lots of piercings - in the moment i can wear only one - cause its bound to one slot of the Character.

And if i can combine all the piercings i want - how can i do that?

Thanks for your help.

Ava

Hi, Ava. Not only is it possible to combine multiple meshes into one NIF, if you want to use body physics you really need to in order to avoid clipping.

I just posted a thread with what  was required to make Zenna outfits have physics, and the principle is the same for piercings and jewelry. All the stuff needs to be in one NIF, and it needs to have the body reference in the NIF, and the ESP needs to use slot 33. With any of that missing you will get clipping in-game if you're using physics.

Archived