[3DSMax] Re-rigging a customized body. Something's not right...

Marinchev

I definitely did something wrong, guys, I need your help!

Ok, so here's how I went about this in 3ds:

Following Nightasy's tutorial on Skyrim armors (I Figured it can't be too different for FalloutNV, since it has both the Skin instance and BSDismemberInstance), I went about importing my nif file with the ALICE body, then I modified it. Now here's how I understand things - After finishing with tweaking the body parts I needed tweaked, I deleted everything BUT the actual body mesh, then exported that to a dummy .NIF.

I placed a Smooth modifier with Groups set to 2 (for this to prevent creation of extra vertices or whatever) before exporting it. 

Then, after starting a new project in 3ds, I imported the original body with the skeleton, skin instances and everything that I need for the rigging (well, at least that's how it works for Skyrim armors).

So, after importing the original body, I imported my edited body without skeletons, or anything - just the body mesh.

And so, using the original body, I placed a Skin Wrap modifier on the modified one, selected the appropriate options, added the original body to it, Generated the Skins with all points weighted, etc. Now here's when things got a bit tricky for me. Meaning: So how do I create the selection for BSDismember? I decided it wasn't gonna hurt to just copy/paste the BSDismember modifier from the original body, to the edited one. Perhaps that's what I did wrong - I'm open to suggestions here.

And so with all that done, I deleted ONLY the original's body MESH, leaving the skeleton and caps intact, with the new mesh, then Export, didn't weld any vertices as well. 

Then I go into GECK to check it out and BAM - invisible body, with some strange line dashing all over the place. What did I do wrong? Probably lots of things :D Help me guys!

Just to point out, as I have discovered late myself, NifSkope is old, there's version 2.0 now.. anywya, good job on fixing it :P

Yeah I have 2.0 as well. Just this one's more comfortable for me :)

Also, I think someone mentioned that 2.0 can't be set up to render the textures. I haven't tried it, I'm gonna check that out later :)

Anyway, I'm not planning on going FO4, so I'm probably not gonna use it anytime soon. At least till I get my GPU changed. FO4 runs just terribly on my current video card, no matter what tweaks/optimization I apply to it. Old Nifskope is fine for games until Skyrim, it's stable and tweaked to work for them. It only doesn't work with FO4 meshes, that's all.

Archived