Seemingly harmless armour mod has caused major issues

Talwick

Before I begin, I just want to mention that I had nearly 300 mods all running perfectly up until this happened - so I pretty decent at resolving conflicts and issues. But this current one has me completely baffled - and the more methods that I try to fix it, the more baffled I become.  :s 

~

So I recently installed some standalone UUNP armor (using NexusModManager) - It worked ingame, but didn't match my character's body.
I couldn't be bothered to fix that, so I thought I'd uninstall it and stick to the armors I had. But upon restarting SKSE, it would crash the moment the main menu's buttons were about to appear (my ENB had already loaded according to the OSD).

I thought some other files from Skyrim may have been overwritten and/or removed, so I replaced every file that had been modified at the time of the installation, by using my most recent backup of the Skyrim folder. But Skyrim still crashed.

So next I tried "verifying" Skyrim through Steam, it only modified one file: ("installscript.vdf"), but it was identical to the first, and therefore Skyrim still would crash.

Finally I tried a system restore, copying the most recent (working) mods that I had installed before the issue - just in case they would beremoved, so I could add them again. But the system restore was unsuccessful, and not just for that one restore point, but for ALL of them. Something had apparently changed in the registry - and now I can't use restore points. What in the name of f**k?

The only thing I have left to try is replacing the whole of my Skyrim folder with my working backup, and crossing my fingers and toes that it'll work. I just don't want to lose my modding progress (or my game progress, which relies on some of my mods after the backup). I guess I'll just backup what I currently have, and then replace it.

~

NOTE: I did notice that the mod, whilst only small (~18MB), installed incredibly slowly. I thought nothing of it at the time, but now it seems a bit suspicious. I've tried looking for the file again online (because I had already deleted it before I noticed a problem), but I can't seem to find it after an hour of searching. It was linked here on LoversLab, inside one of the UUNP conversion forums. It had a two syllable name beginning with "Leic-" or "Leci-".

~

So does anyone know what might be the cause of these issues? And/or has anyone experienced a similar thing? How did you fix it, if at all?

I don't know if this is all in my mind, but my computer feels like it's now running slower (most notably in Explorer) - even though it doesn't seem to be using any more processing power than usual.

Thanks in advance for any advice :shy: And sorry for the long read.

Try a complimentary approach.

Copy your backup, and then overwrite all its content with your normal game data.

Then try to run it.

If NMM removed a mandatory file you may (may) get it back in this way.

While uninstalling mods using NMM, be sure that if the installation asked to overwrite, then uninstalling WILL create problems.

Try a complimentary approach.

Copy your backup, and then overwrite all its content with your normal game data.

Then try to run it.

If NMM removed a mandatory file you may (may) get it back in this way.

While uninstalling mods using NMM, be sure that if the installation asked to overwrite, then uninstalling WILL create problems.

Thanks for the advice - it's actually a good idea (in case I've forgotten to copy something from my backup). I'll give it a shot :D

Nothing was overwritten when installing the mod - but it's worth trying all the same.

Looks like I've got it working again now - at least from the unaltered backup. I'll reinstall the mods that I'd added after the backup one by one, just to be on the safe side. I'll have to look into the restore point issue later, but for now Skyrim is working at least (just goes to show my priorities XD )

Isn't it more likely that your Windows may have some problem, cannot fallback to any restore point indicate more Windows issue than just Skyrim.

Indeed - I'm not even sure if installing the mod was what triggered it, or I just hadn't noticed the issue until I was trying to fix Skyrim. I'll look into a solution soon.

Archived