[WIP] Squall Leonhart Final Fantasy VIII

Bubbajones_ya

Update of the day!

Doesn't seem like too many people are SUPER excited about my porject, but that's okay because I am. As long as no one gets super annoyed that I'm always bumping the thread because of me talking to myself and updates always coming up.

Anyways, here's the jacket now with the base texture applied over the UV Map (I didn't do any texturing, just took a leather texture and pasted it over the whole Uv so the color is somewhat the same.)

30252484596_7ffde7dbbb_b.jpg

Once I get the base texture done, I'll start on the feather/fur mesh and texture portion.

I'm probably going to have to darker the pants texture a bit as well since they will stand out once I darken the jacket. His pants/jacket/boots are all pretty much the same color, so it will look weird with a dark jacket/boots and lighter pants.

Update of the day!

I got the main part of the jacket done for now. I just need to add the feather/fur part.... Hopefully it won't be super difficult making that look correct. Then I have to try and rig it...... :(

As for the texture, it could use improvement. I'm nowhere near the level of expertise that ValenV is (he took my original pants texture and made it look really great), but I think I'm slowly improving. I won't be able to improve this texture too much more with my skills though (or at least it won't be very time effective for me to try now), so I'm going to say it's good enough for now!

30308014125_d1e6065a92_b.jpg

Update of the day!

I got the main part of the jacket done for now. I just need to add the feather/fur part.... Hopefully it won't be super difficult making that look correct. Then I have to try and rig it...... :(

As for the texture, it could use improvement. I'm nowhere near the level of expertise that ValenV is (he took my original pants texture and made it look really great), but I think I'm slowly improving. I won't be able to improve this texture too much more with my skills though (or at least it won't be very time effective for me to try now), so I'm going to say it's good enough for now!

30308014125_d1e6065a92_b.jpg

Look very good, hope this will be for female , too. Good work.

Why thank you. I do plan on making it for female as well. I've just taken bodyslide/outfitstudio for the other pieces and made it fit to the female UNP body, but that may not work as well with the jacket texture due to the distortion there will be near the chest. Once I get it rigged to the male body properly, I'll work on fitting it to the female body and see if it will require 3DS Max work or not! Here is the finished jacket (well without a normal map on the fur/feathers part but still).

29683040274_8362c1b2ef_h.jpg

you...could always leave the jacket invis for the females. This would be the right site for it XD 

Haha yeah I probably won't be getting the female version done for a while unless the morphing in bodyslide works well enough. I've had a nightmare trying to rig this jacket to the body but I'm getting so close now!

The sleeve section keeps clipping near the armpit and shoulder during sword swings it's quite frustrating. I think I'm on the right track to getting it acceptable to release though. If I have to make a new model  for the female version, then I'll have to redo a lot of the rigging and that will take me quite some time so I'd hold off on that.

Edit:

Well I realized why I'm having so much difficulty. The standard meshes don't have the body visible underneath it!!! Helps with the rigging quite a bit I'd presume..... That would make almost all my issues gone BUT I want these clothes to be wearable in pieces which complicates things.

I have the pants mesh set as the "body" or slot 32 mesh so that they can be wearable and nothing will mess with SOS or things like that. However, I need the body mesh to change when the jacket gets equipped so that the majority of the arms disappear... I'm not sure if that is possible when the pants are set as the "body" mesh, but I suppose I'll do some testing and see.

Jacket is "done enough" for now! I may edit things later on after I go back and try harder on the head/face mesh and fix the hair, but for now I'm going to leave it and start working on other things.

I ended up taking a small break from making armor so I can start making the gunblades:

30457081461_0639b4911a_b.jpgRevolver

I have to model in the grip portion and the cylinder lock/release thingy, but it's not too bad for only a few hours last night of doing it!

I better get back to painting my girlfriends truck though... once that's done I'll feel a lot less stressed! Painting vehicles is a lot of work...

Getting a little further, it's looking much better now:

30554053075_fe3d9a241c_b.jpg

I know there have been some gunblade models released before, but I wanted to make my own. The one I've used before needed some texture work and wasn't the most detailed model either. Another one was recently brought to my attention (haven't downloaded it yet) that looks pretty good. However, I'm trying to make this one as accurate as I can get it and figured I could use some modeling experience. 

Also, when I make this one, I'll have the revolver base to use for when I do the other two swords that have the same revolver base model, I'll just have to make the blade!

Well the model is done for the gunblade now, I just need to UV map and texture it. Then I have to figure out how to rig it and make it usable as a weapon. I'm sure that's easier than making armor though so I'm not too worried.

29932751213_83deb56320_b.jpg

Edit: It's almost done, I forgot the screw at the hilt but that will take like 1 second.

Finished the Revolver. I wish I could get better at texturing, but I think I'm improving. It takes me so much longer to make the texture than the model, and it probably could use some more work to make it really great, but it's better than what I've seen for the gunblade so far so I'm happy.

29979757643_97b033c60a_h.jpg

30496538872_5ffe05bb31_h.jpg

Now I have to work on the pistol base of his gunblade for the upgraded weapons. Maybe I'll do the gloves instead. Who knows? Find out on next weeks episode of Dragon Ball Z.

So I started working on the Shear Trigger gunblade. I wasn't able to find any different models than what's in FFVIII itself which is a low poly/not detailed enough model for skyrim. It's apparently not a very popular weapon so no one has bother to recreate it/update it. I figured since it's supposed to be an upgrade from the Revolver gunblade, I'd make it look like one.

I decided to recreate the weapon and model the gun portion off of a Desert Eagle and the stock/handle from an M4/AR-15. I think it still has the same "feel" of the original weapon, but looks more believable (however believable a gunblade can be) and is a much more detail model. Also, the stock is more parallel to the blade so it will hopefully fit in the hands better for the equip animation

I'm not quite done with the model but pretty close.

30038753084_4ae1bc9e50_z.jpg

I'll most likely still texture the gun black, but might have some "stainless steel" parts textured as well. Nice thing is that the blades are identical (as well as the other two blades will be the same) so once I'm done with this, I'll just have to model the two other blades for the four other weapons. Maybe I'll use the base of this model and make a Desert Eagle for Fallout 4 if no-one has done it yet (I'm not sure how to even get things in that game nor animate the model though so that will be a long ways off.)

Why thank you! I know I'm making this Shear Trigger gun portion too detailed in portions that are not needed.... I'm semi-modeling interior parts of the gun (like the barrel) and editing pieces of the slide and frame that will never been seen in game (unless I make it so you have to build the weapon in pieces which is kinda why I'm detailing it now.)

In college, I did some ANSYS and SOLIDWORKS modeling, and then some machining. Modeling the interior portions was pretty important and I'm kinda just in the habit of doing that even though this isn't a model that is going to be machined!

I'm just making it more of a chore for me to texture this so I better stop trying to be so detailed and finish the weapon! Then maybe I'll tackle the gloves. After that, I'll try and learn animating!

Just wanted to drop by and say how excellent your work is!

Thank you! I think after I'm done with the Shear Trigger gunblade, I'm going to work on the gloves and necklace so I can have the full armor done for Squall. I may then try and get the face/head looking better (but I feel that's still my weak point so I'll see when I get there.)

Having the Shear trigger base done will help me have the other four gunblades done much easier (basically it's two different swords using the Revolver, and Shear Trigger bases on two different blades making four more swords overall.) I'll want to see if I can figure out animations pretty soon with the gunblades done and most of the armor complete.

I'm done with the model for the Shear Trigger blade, I just need to finish putting together the UV map and then texture it. It's much more complicated than the Revolver UV map because there are a lot more parts and the geometry is more intricate. I hope it won't take me too long to texture the sword when I'm done with the UV map.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You mean make it so you can put your own textures in and have a jacket with a different color and the original one as well? 

I've been super busy lately so I haven't done anything modding wise for a while. I think I'm going to be able to slowly start working on things again so I may try and do that with the jacket.

Archived