I expect this mod will fail if I'm playing something like Wyrmstooth or Maids II, but will it fail catastrophically or in a more relaxed way?

In other words, would it leave me with awkward naked humans, default furries in every role, or just straight-up crash the game? Two of those I could keep playing with, the last one would bother me a bit.

In any case, once the main 3.0 version of the mod (currently in alpha) is released, feel free to let us know of any such mod you may want to use alongside YA and we'll see what we can do. Sometimes it will only require re-exporting FaceGen (which only takes two clicks in the CK, so we can either post the files or tell you how to do it yourself); and sometimes it will require an actual patch plugin file, in which case you'll have to wait for us to post it.

That's really quite generous. It's not something I'm eager to take up time with, but yeah. When I get back to Skyrim (not for a while, probably not until after the 3.0 release) this mod is on the shortlist along with Interesting NPCs. I'm more interested in planning my mod build around this one than I am in getting nitpicky, so if there's a hard conflict I'd be more likely to toss out the other mod and find a replacement.

The other thing you lose is that your furries will all be the default color of the race, so you won't get the same range of fur colors. I'll ship a TES5Edit script that reassigns face tints too.

We've already got patches for More Bandits, Diversity, Populated LRP, Helgen Reborn, Interesting and Uninteresting NPCs, and whatever else is in the OP. As long as it's just tints and heads, it's little work (just time to let the scripts run). I'm planning a patch for Imperious and Immersive College of Winterhold too. 

Kuroyami--so female dremora heads too? You guys, report everything that fails if you can. So far as I knew everything outside of Orcs and High Elves was working. I do run through the different races but it's easy to miss a combination. Also I don't know what's up with that--dremora are using vanilla khajiit assets.

So yeah, even after uninstalling and then reinstalling Skyrim with just YA 3.0, its requirements and the patch BD posted (not the test patch he made for Theman), my game too crashes the moment I even select High Elf or Orc on the Race Menu screen, regardless of gender. It manages to load the character for a second and then CTD. The other races load up fine. However...

Don't know if this is something but, there was a time where I started a new character, and the game remained stable long enough for me to make a completely customized Sabrelion lady (Bodyslide was already installed) and I exit Race Menu, went to save the game manually, and it crashes the exact moment the game was saving. The game save didn't register, the character was lost (RIP thicc Sabrelion lady :(), and it never got stable for that long again. Honestly, crashing while saving has never happened to me while playing Skyrim despite having 70+ mods loaded before installing YA 3.0. This happened by chance after installing 3.0 with patch.

Also I tried using the "Test Patch" and I got no changes to the game's crash problem.

Hope that's something at least.

Okay, I got the feeling we missed this post the first time around, so I'll quote it:

So.

Tail crashes non-YA middle of game save as Ka'Po'Tun 'replacer' (straight nif swap).

Tail does NOT crash previous YA (non-patched start) save in middle of game.

Tail DOES crash patched new start as Male Cheetah

YA middle of game save does however throw constraint errors in SMP log.

Doesn't this mean the problem is indeed in the tails? Or at the very least it tells us there's something wrong with the tails, even if they are not the only cause of the CTDs.

Someone should really try replacing the cheetah and sabrelion tail meshes with the default khajiit ones and seeing if it helps. BadDog had a quick how-to in one of his latest posts, but here it is as well:

"So best thing to try would be to copy the vanilla khajiit tail over the cheetah tail - should be CheetahMaleTail.nif - and report back changes."

The female dremora point to the wrong skeleton. Easy fix, nothing to do with the cheetah CTD.

So... I ended up with a bunch of free time but without my modding laptop, so I downloaded everything onto this machine. Except since I'm dumb I started up YA3 without the prerequisites: SKSE, SkyUI, SOS, PapyrusUtil. And lo and behold, I could start a character with some races but cheetahs and orcs were a CTD within a minute. Once I got the prereqs loaded, the problem went away.

So do you guys have the latest of everything? It's easy to overlook SKSE upgrades, but check the others as well.

Also I tried replacing the cheetah tail with the khajiit tail, but they both work with all the prereqs installed.

So do you guys have the latest of everything? It's easy to overlook SKSE upgrades, but check the others as well.

What do you mean by SKSE upgrades? I have the latest SKSE downloaded from the main site. The other prerequisites (SkyUI, RaceCompatibility, RCAE, SOS and HDT Physics Extension) are also up-to-date for me. Testing with just those loaded beside YA3.0 (with patch) still gives me crashes with the High Elf and Orc options. Is there something else I'm missing?

I've installed all the prerequisites listed.  Oddly enough i was having the opposite issue with the races.  High Elf males would load in racemenu, but would ctd after exiting the menu whereas the female would just right out ctd.  Orcs were the opposite where the male would inta ctd and the females would load in racemenu and crash later.

I tried installing hdt and bd_ez_hdt to see if it might have been an issue there, but now both races refuse to load in racemenu, even after uninstalling those two.  Could it be an issue with racemenu itself at all?

Okay, so, it seems like in the process of installing (or reinstalling) the required mods, BadDog found the fix for the crashes. I bet he had the same setup in his main rig, and that's why he didn't get the crashes in the first place. Now we need to find out which exact file is the one that fixes it.

@BadDog, could you list each and all of the files you installed when it got fixed? Then we can go through them and/or try installing them all the same way you did and seeing if it fixes the thing.

I'll bet it's PapyrusUtil. It's part of the S.T.E.P. basics and I'm now using it to store schlong lists and forgot it wouldn't necessarily be there. Not sure what happens if you call something that's not there, but random crashes sounds about right.

Here's my modlist FYI. Enabled mods (note that this is upside down vs. the way you see it in Mod Organizer):

# This file was automatically generated by Mod Organizer.
+Alternate Start - Live Another Life
+Yiffy Age A3.0.2 Patch
+Yiffy Age 3.0
+SOS
+SkyUI
+RaceMenu
+RaceCompatibility with fixes
+PapyrusUtil
+SKSE
*Unmanaged: Dawnguard
*Unmanaged: Dragonborn
*Unmanaged: HearthFires
*Unmanaged: HighResTexturePack01
*Unmanaged: HighResTexturePack02
*Unmanaged: HighResTexturePack03

Plugins. This is in the same order as MO. Note I've turned off the SOS schlongs. 

# This file was automatically generated by Mod Organizer.
Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Dawnguard.esm
HearthFires.esm
Dragonborn.esm
Schlongs of Skyrim - Core.esm
RaceCompatibility.esm
Schlongs of Skyrim.esp
YiffyAgeConsolidated.esp
YiffyAgeSchlongs.esp
SkyUI.esp
RaceMenu.esp
RaceMenuPlugin.esp
Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp

I'll bet it's PapyrusUtil. It's part of the S.T.E.P. basics and I'm now using it to store schlong lists and forgot it wouldn't necessarily be there. Not sure what happens if you call something that's not there, but random crashes sounds about right.

Yeah, sounds like it could be it; worth looking into, at least. Now we have to find out whether the CTDs are caused by the lack of PU itself or by the use of a wrong version (3.3 vs 3.2/SL-bundled version, as 27X said). Or both.

Which version did you download and install? I'm guessing 3.3, because I don't see SL in your setup, but you could have gone (manually) for 3.2 instead. So let us know which one is it so the people with the crashes can install that version and see if it fixes the whole thing.

And for the record, I'm pretty sure I've been using PU 3.3 for a while and letting it overwrite most other mods (in a "SKSE Plugins" MO folder with up-to-date versions of similar plugins, so no chance of getting overwritten by SL), and so far I've had no significant issues with it. IIRC the last few times I played I would get a "Skyrim has stopped working" Windows message on closing the game (like the ones Oblivion and New Vegas used to get), but during gameplay itself it was fine, so if it turns out 3.3 is the right version, I won't have a problem with that.

I'm running 3.3, newly downloaded. No Sexlab. if PU is a problem I can use the mechanism SOS uses to store information across saves, by putting it in a formlist. 

27X, when you say no crashes, do you mean orcs and cheetahs are fine with the SL version of PU?

YiffyAgeDiversityPatch.esp lists DIVERSITY.esp as a requirement, but the actual mod uses DIVERSE SKYRIM.esp

Yuck, it's been updated. Use the 2.4 version. I'll update, but it will require re-facegenning the world.

Sorry, uhm...I seem to be a bit confused. The 2.4 version of what? Diversity? Because I don't see a 2.4 version listed. And I don't notice the diversity patch in the shared folder in the mirrored google drive link. o:

Uhm...hello? Anyone? I really would like more NPCs in my game ;w;

@27X, so if I read you right the new cheetah tail does cause crashes when you use it to replace another tail even when YA is not loaded? That certainly sounds like an error in the nif.

But have you yet tried loading the khajiit tail over the cheetah tail? I'd like confirmation that that solves the problem for those experiencing it.

I came across this post before on the Nexus forum for animated beast race eye pupils.

So I finished making the basic eyeball for my model. I just need to retopo it with Quad Draw for my preferred low poly model, adjust the iris a bit in Zbrush, subdivide it for a smooth normal map, or maybe I'll add more detail for normal maps, but will likely just leave that to the texture. Maybe just the texture so not all races irises look the same for my models.

So in short, do you all think eyes like this are a good idea? Such as morphed irises for beast races along with added TRIs for dilated eyes for a nocturnal effect. That might require a script to activate the dilated tri files when night comes. Maybe even making the pupil thinner for combat anger.

7ec92a951324b031e05ab70b01cb14ae.jpgc93084494ff57d552ee1ea39f0009008.png9f796b7f7dd376e51c88fdea69970eb2.png

So in short, do you all think eyes like this are a good idea? Such as morphed irises for beast races along with added TRIs for dilated eyes for a nocturnal effect. That might require a script to activate the dilated tri files when night comes. Maybe even making the pupil thinner for combat anger.

I guess doing that and creating the .tri files to achieve that effect could work, but since head parts can only include one mesh each, I'm not sure it would be possible to do it (maybe eyes can accept "extra" linked parts like hairs do with hairlines, but I'm not sure).

Also while setting up the eye tris to react to existing expressions like combat anger and such should be possible (IIRC the eyes from the original/cartoony Sharkmer race were set up like that and did have the effect), there is simply no way to add more facial expression morphs to the game data (though I could be wrong about that), so getting the dilated pupils effect while in the dark would be a problem.

All in all, the idea is good, but it isn't really feasible in Skyrim, or at least I don't think so.

Okay, one last thing: for people having CTDs (specially those that set up a brand new game with only YA 3.0 and its listed requirements for testing), you should first try installing PapyrusUtil 3.3 and seeing if it helps. If it doesn't (or those races still CTD sometimes even if it's less frequent than without PU), then try out BadDog's tail patch in his latest post.

Let us know the results of that testing when you are done. Hopefully we can find and fix the bug once and for all and continue testing/working on the other stuff that's left.

(Sorry for the post spam, but I can't multiquote on phone so the first two posts had to be separate, and I also wanted to make this clear and visible so it deserved yet another post).

I guess doing that and creating the .tri files to achieve that effect could work, but since head parts can only include one mesh each, I'm not sure it would be possible to do it (maybe eyes can accept "extra" linked parts like hairs do with hairlines, but I'm not sure).

Also while setting up the eye tris to react to existing expressions like combat anger and such should be possible (IIRC the eyes from the original/cartoony Sharkmer race were set up like that and did have the effect), there is simply no way to add more facial expression morphs to the game data (though I could be wrong about that), so getting the dilated pupils effect while in the dark would be a problem.

All in all, the idea is good, but it isn't really feasible in Skyrim, or at least I don't think so.

Well I guess it's just a maybe then. Also, everything about the eyes is/will be one mesh. (a single OBJ) It just has layers or 3 separate mesh parts, but can be saved as a single mesh. There is no reason it can't, and armor in Skyrim usually has multiple layers in an all in one package. (not very modular) Khajiit heads also have multiple layers that split when smoothed over.

Might not be helpful but I noticed something interesting during my testing -- I installed CrashFixes on top of a clean install with YA3 (Based on Bad Dog's recent mod list post) and noticed that sometimes CrashFixes would give the following error during a crash:

Skyrim has crashed due to a missing NiNode. This could indicate an incompatible skeleton, make sure you:
1. Have XPMS skeleton installed.
2. Don't have another skeleton overwrite XPMS in your mod manager.
3. Have run FNIS.
 If this happened while you removed a clothing item it's definitely incompatible skeleton.

So I tried installing XPMSE & FNIS, and since then I'm able to create characters (including cheetah/high elf) without it crashing in the race menu, and am able to get into the game, walk around and do stuff. Random crashes do still happen, but CrashFixes doesn't notice those ones.