Skyrim CTD on load of most recent save (it's doing it ...AGAIN)

Kendo 2

If I try to load the last save I made when I first load the game it will CDT.  It doesn't matter where I am in the game world or if I was sitting or standing when I made the save.  The only way I can get the game to start is to go to a save I made before the last one and load it first.  After it loads THEN I can go back to the Esc menu and load the most recent save.  It's fucking annoying.

The modded state of the game doesn't matter.  I get the last save loaded crash on a vanilla game with no mods whatsoever, not even mesh or texture replacers.  I don't think the problem is mod related.  I think the game itself is doing it.  Does anyone know what causes this or a way to fix it?  I fixed this problem previously but I don't remember how I did it or where I go the information.

Is it a hard save or quick save? I stopped using auto and quick saves because of this issue.

Also is everything cleaned with TE, including update?

It's a hard save.  I never use QuickSave and I only load auto saves as a last resort.  Most of the saves I make are before I enter a dungeon or before I fast travel to a walled city.  I never have weapons or spells equipped and I'm not sneaking.

And no, I haven't scrubbed the game yet.  I guess I should try that.

FNIS and loads of animations. Been pointed out many many many times before. Cure is, as you have experienced, load earlier save, (i.e. a start save), then load offending save. I would have assumed you knew that? (or is this just a rant about the current state of modding Skyrim in 2016 and how people just wander off to do other things with neither a by your leave?).

ps if you are not using FNIS, then no idea. Probably pixies.

There really isn't a true fix for the problem as far as I know.  Some of the various fix mods/instructions/etc work, but at some point it just seems to start again.  For me it only happens on the initial load after a cold start.  Loading while in-game never happens.  Some people use the qasmoke method - coc to qasmoke from the main menu (or whatever the name is) then load the game.  Since I have AS-LAL, I just make sure on a new character to make a save right before talking to the statue of Mara to select the start (by then all of the mods have started up, my character is complete, etc), then whenever I cold-start, I load that save first, then load the "real" save.  Never had it CTD doing that. 

FNIS and loads of animations. Been pointed out many many many times before. Cure is, as you have experienced, load earlier save, (i.e. a start save), then load offending save. I would have assumed you knew that? (or is this just a rant about the current state of modding Skyrim in 2016 and how people just wander off to do other things with neither a by your leave?).

ps if you are not using FNIS, then no idea. Probably pixies.

The game does this with or without custom animations.  And NO I didn't know.  That's why I was asking if it was a Skyrim thing.

Archived