Starlight Drive Propaganda [WIP] - Need Help

xenic

I was inspired by another mod and started work on this one. The idea is to have a propaganda style movie on the screen at Starlight Drive In. I figured out how to place the screens, what files to duplicate and alter, but for the life of me, I can't get it to work. Everytime I try to replace one of the DDS files in the NIF, the game CTD's while loading the save. I have 2 large screens to the right of Sanctuary for convenient testing. 

I included the unaltered NIF and DDS files. I also included a image I was testing out. You need Far Harbor to load the .esp

As it stands, the vanilla screens work but I can't change the images. I may just need a fresh set of eyes or someone more knowledgeable. I appreciate any help I can get.

post-94042-0-40736500-1471249107_thumb.jpg
post-94042-0-70288700-1471249110_thumb.jpg
post-94042-0-20893600-1471249113_thumb.jpg

EDIT: I got a file to work, except it shows up purple. Not sure what I did wrong.

post-94042-0-86227100-1471308702_thumb.jpg

You don't need to create an alternate nif for any of that. Just need to be using the material swap feature with the creation kit. That meaning.. just need to use your new material on the existing nif for the screens you're using, unless they're custom.  But even then if they are custom so long as they're working on their own.. the only thing you need to do is create a new static object with that nif and use the magical material swap tool and voila.. no need for messing with 100 different nifs just to change the textures.

Also make sure your DDS formats are in DXT5 diffuse &  BC5 for normals and specular maps.

You don't need to create an alternate nif for any of that. Just need to be using the material swap feature with the creation kit. That meaning.. just need to use your new material on the existing nif for the screens you're using, unless they're custom.  But even then if they are custom so long as they're working on their own.. the only thing you need to do is create a new static object with that nif and use the magical material swap tool and voila.. no need for messing with 100 different nifs just to change the textures.

Also make sure your DDS formats are in DXT5 diffuse &  BC5 for normals and specular maps.

The screens are going to be custom. I'll play around with it some more.

EDIT: The problem was actually really simple. I had multiple places that needed that same dds and I selected custom material. I still have a duplicate nif.

Archived