Windows 10 Anniversary Update...

Slammer64

Returning to Win 7 for me wont be a simple task, my hard disk had to be replaced...So I will have to basically start over which will take at least a full day of work if not more considering all the games and all 100's of Gig's of modifications that I use at play.

Not to mention needing to transfer about a half terabyte of mod data to another storage device...

So why would I consider that?

Win 10 internet speeds are slow as FUCK...even with all the suggested fixes and a noticeable amount of improvement by leagues its still massively slower than my previous installation had.  This is with the same internet package that I had before....If I had to guess I'd say its about 1/3 the speed still....I'm used to having multiple streaming video's and downloads all running at the same time...Now I have to sit and wait for webpages just to open it SUCKS.

No, it won't just "stop working", nightshad, you just won't be able to get any support or further security patches for it.

You do realise we ware talking about microsoft right ?? even new versions are security risks..They say further patches but we all know those patches are more back doors for NSA .. Hell even xp is still usable and they are not releasing any pachtes for it.

When that special offer first appeared on screen, still decent but not for long, a famous line of the movie Wall-E crossed my mind:

"Be sure next mealtime to ask for your free sep-tua-centennial (gmo) cupcake in a cup. Wow, look at that!"

Yeah yeah, whateva!

Did the update a couple of hours ago.

It went just fine. No problems reported.

I am using Win10 Pro.

And, just as small notice. Don't blame a Company. They do not steal. Of course they make money, but right now money is no more generated by an OS but by the collateral services.

Stealing your info? Commercially useless.

I didn't allowed google to photograph my yard and there is fucking pokemon in there! Useless you say?

If Microsoft collects your privacy information and gets sued.. The company would be cease to exist. They an't stupid. :D

Otherwise I installed the update and everything went smooth. :D

Its already stated in their eula, by installing win10 you agree for collecting privacy user data.

If Microsoft collects your privacy information and gets sued.. The company would be cease to exist. They an't stupid. :D

Its already stated in their eula, by installing win10 you agree for collecting privacy user data.

The closer the freaks that receive your data, handed over by companies like Microsoft by means of whateva, sit at the source of information the easier it gets to make a profile based on your moves on the internet, to analyze your virtual fingerprints... if they only want to, and the OS is the closest point, the presupposition of all internet, the one interface ring to rule them all, if necessary. Control. It's about control. You hide behind closet avatars, huh? Well, hiding faces is just an illusion after the first published group shot in kindergarten, followed by yearbooks in college and so forth. Of course, I don't know who you are, what you are doing and how you look like, they do 'cause they are utterly interested in you... and you know nothing of them. Amazing. As I've said:

"Be sure next mealtime to ask for your free sep-tua-centennial (gmo) cupcake in a cup. Wow, look at that!"

The real problem was i never agreed to there Eula. it was just forced installed even though i said never install it.. :P That is privacy breach right there.

Looks like Amazon no longer ships Windows 7 internationally, so I'll have to either search for a crack or something for my next build... or I'll have to switch to Linux and stop playing games on Windows... I have no intention to pay a hundred bucks for a piece of shit botnet...

Just buy a key from anywhere then you can download it directly from MS.

The real problem was i never agreed to there Eula. it was just forced installed even though i said never install it.. :P That is privacy breach right there.

Well the EULA is invalid in Canada so it really doesn't matter too much.

Looks like Amazon no longer ships Windows 7 internationally, so I'll have to either search for a crack or something for my next build... or I'll have to switch to Linux and stop playing games on Windows... I have no intention to pay a hundred bucks for a piece of shit botnet...

Just buy a key from anywhere then you can download it directly from MS.

Well the EULA is invalid in Canada so it really doesn't matter too much.

Of course an EULA that's made known to the customer usually first after receiving the product during the installation process doesn't hold water in court in most countries outside of the U.S., but there it does. So, the EULA might be more likely a pious Pilate-like counterinsurance for a U.S. company in case of a judicial action based on received and forwarded private data against a customer acc. to U.S. law, launched e.g. by a state party, the usual suspects. When in makes kaboom in your garden as a result, you know more than we ever want to know.

Just my 2 cts

I'm outty

Sorry i don't get the fuss about Win10.

I bought the pro-64bit version for a new PC in december 2015, and in my experience it is a massive improvement in all areas. Most likely it is different for people who used the free Win10 upgrade, because i never heard any complaints from those who made a fresh install with the retail version.

It boots and shuts down extremely fast, talking about 5 seconds BIOS break and then another 3-7 seconds until the login screen. Shutting down is almost instant, same like a system restart. Although you practically never have to restart, they removed the need for that after installing drivers and programs for the most part.

Game performance is better, unless the software is bugged under 64-bit.

Latency is better if anything else, for me it's something like 21ms instead of 22ms in WoW.

The Windows user interface also not only looks better, but is much more accessible after you get used to the changes.

The whole thing about "spyware" is only true if you chose the default installation with all the spyware enabled.
After the custom installation you should also go through all the settings and further disable anything that sounds suspicious - unlike products from Apple, Google etc. this is entirely transparent.

Whatever other data *might* be secretly collected is the same that they always *might* have done, however from all i know these are paranoid conspiracy theories. And that's actually kind of funny, because some of the people being paranoid over Win10 potentially spying on them, have various facebook or google apps on their smartphone (which is a spying device by design) and also use torrents to pirate software. The latter will lead the lawyers/police directly to their house even when surfing with TOR, but hey - Microsoft is the real bad guy here, right....

The ONLY thing that they messed up entirely is the fact that DirectX9 applications can only use a total maximum of 4064MB, which is probably irrelevant for most games. Because DX11 has been around since ~2009, so games either already use DX10/11 or require only a fraction of that RAM amount.

Obviously a heavily modded Skyrim with ENB does suffer extremely from this, but as said - this is the >ONLY< thing where i see a disadvantage over older Windows versions.

PS: - and no, i don't have any problems with Win10 since yesterday or today. I only noticed a huge 500MB update to my old Win7 PC yesterday which had to be applied in 2-3 steps. No problems there either that i'd be aware of.

Sorry i don't get the fuss about Win10.

I bought the pro-64bit version for a new PC in december 2015, and in my experience it is a massive improvement in all areas. Most likely it is different for people who used the free Win10 upgrade, because i never heard any complaints from those who made a fresh install with the retail version.

It boots and shuts down extremely fast, talking about 5 seconds BIOS break and then another 3-7 seconds until the login screen. Shutting down is almost instant, same like a system restart. Although you practically never have to restart, they removed the need for that after installing drivers and programs for the most part.

Game performance is better, unless the software is bugged under 64-bit.

Latency is better if anything else, for me it's something like 21ms instead of 22ms in WoW.

The Windows user interface also not only looks better, but is much more accessible after you get used to the changes.

The whole thing about "spyware" is only true if you chose the default installation with all the spyware enabled.

After the custom installation you should also go through all the settings and further disable anything that sounds suspicious - unlike products from Apple, Google etc. this is entirely transparent.

Whatever other data *might* be secretly collected is the same that they always *might* have done, however from all i know these are paranoid conspiracy theories. And that's actually kind of funny, because some of the people being paranoid over Win10 potentially spying on them, have various facebook or google apps on their smartphone (which is a spying device by design) and also use torrents to pirate software. The latter will lead the lawyers/police directly to their house even when surfing with TOR, but hey - Microsoft is the real bad guy here, right....

The ONLY thing that they messed up entirely is the fact that DirectX9 applications can only use a total maximum of 4064MB, which is probably irrelevant for most games. Because DX11 has been around since ~2009, so games either already use DX10/11 or require only a fraction of that RAM amount.

Obviously a heavily modded Skyrim with ENB does suffer extremely from this, but as said - this is the >ONLY< thing where i see a disadvantage over older Windows versions.

PS: - and no, i don't have any problems with Win10 since yesterday or today. I only noticed a huge 500MB update to my old Win7 PC yesterday which had to be applied in 2-3 steps. No problems there either that i'd be aware of.

So update Direct to the latest?

Also, what does the retail version cost? Is the retail version available for download, or is it hardcopy?

Further analysis of the problems I was having indicates that KB3176929 was the source of all my headaches, it's an update that's supposed to go in after you install the 1607 update, other folks have had many, many, many problems with it due to incompatibilities with hardware, namely power management. I was able to get it installed after forcing a safe-boot, why install it, you may ask? Because M$ fucking won't let you pick and choose what updates need to be installed anymore, and I run Win 10 Pro. If you don't install it, no more updates past that point. Oh, well... Oh, and it also has a tendency to break Cortana, thank the Gods, I don't use it.

Further analysis of the problems I was having indicates that KB3176929 was the source of all my headaches, it's an update that's supposed to go in after you install the 1607 update, other folks have had many, many, many problems with it due to incompatibilities with hardware, namely power management. I was able to get it installed after forcing a safe-boot, why install it, you may ask? Because M$ fucking won't let you pick and choose what updates need to be installed anymore, and I run Win 10 Pro. If you don't install it, no more updates past that point. Oh, well... Oh, and it also has a tendency to break Cortana, thank the Gods, I don't use it.

Well i just let Windows manage all the updates on its own, just don't enable that thing for the early (beta? alpha?) updates. It's really very subtle compared to Win7, and i only had an automatic reboot once for a supposedly super-important security update.

Something that sucks is that Win10 always loads drivers for new devices automatically without confirmation, but unlike older Win-versions it seems no longer necessary to do a 100% "clean" install for every driver with the driver sweeper.

I guess if you took the free update to Win10, then that's the problem. As mentioned i never had any issues with 10 except the shitty Skyrim/ENB performance.

Oh and the thing with Cortana is quite annoying, from what i understand it is such an integral part that you can never remove it entirely. But if you disable its features it doesn't seem to do anything either?

Also, what does the retail version cost? Is the retail version available for download, or is it hardcopy?

What do you mean with "update Direct"?

If you mean DirectX, DX11 is already part of Windows since Win7. Steam DX9 games will also run the DX9 installer automatically on first launch just to be safe about compatibility.

Price for Win10 should be the same or a bit higher like any older versions, check your neighbourhood PC retailer or online shop of choice.

What do you mean with "update Direct"?

If you mean DirectX, DX11 is already part of Windows since Win7. Steam DX9 games will also run the DX9 installer automatically on first launch just to be safe about compatibility.

Price for Win10 should be the same or a bit higher like any older versions, check your neighbourhood PC retailer or online shop of choice.

Yeah, I meant DirectX. I have throttled data, so not everything gets through.

The issue with stuff dying while full screened but not allowing you to get to task manager is rather a big issue i would say, forcing someone to turn off all the full screen settings in skyrim and set this in the ENB instead is a bit of a fuck up in my opinion so thats two issues with using win10 on skyrim already

I personnally would say booting/power off is slower in win10 compared to win7 as well, had both on a SSD but i suppose this might be one of those your mileage will vary issues

Edit: just done the upgrade myself and everything appears to work, took me quite a while to work out how to kill the stupid new icon in the bottom right

The issue with stuff dying while full screened but not allowing you to get to task manager is rather a big issue i would say, forcing someone to turn off all the full screen settings in skyrim and set this in the ENB instead is a bit of a fuck up in my opinion so thats two issues with using win10 on skyrim already

I personnally would say booting/power off is slower in win10 compared to win7 as well, had both on a SSD but i suppose this might be one of those your mileage will vary issues

Edit: just done the upgrade myself and everything appears to work, took me quite a while to work out how to kill the stupid new icon in the bottom right

How did you get rid of that icon if you don't mind me asking? The thing is really bugging me and I couldn't find a way to kill it. 

Good old Windows XP... It can run on 64MB with only a dozen processes, takes up nothing more than 1-1.5GB on the disk and has enough functionality for anyone who wants to play games on a PC, not to mention it's as fast as lightning... If only it was a bit more stable and secure... and of course 64-bit... Perhaps the best option is to run Linux and install a XP/7 VM with hardware passthrough...

Good old Windows XP... It can run on 64MB with only a dozen processes, takes up nothing more than 1-1.5GB on the disk and has enough functionality for anyone who wants to play games on a PC, not to mention it's as fast as lightning... If only it was a bit more stable and secure... and of course 64-bit... Perhaps the best option is to run Linux and install a XP/7 VM with hardware passthrough...

If only it would support my hardware and 16GB of ram on its 64bit version... :D 

Seriously, I never liked Windows XP that much, but that was for other reasons than its compatibility back when our hardware was just enough for WinXP. It worked, pretty good even. Just like inME did back then, although a lot of people seemed to have serious problems with it. I never ran into them with my crappy 500Mhz machine... xD

Anyway, still no Win10 update showing up over here. :o No one I know IRL got it until now. Seems we'll have to wait again. 

@link about steam: Where's my tinfoil hat again? Seriously, even if that was true it's still our choice to run Win10 or not. Win7 has support until 2020, Win8.1 even has support until 2023... And then there's still GOG, which does the job without forcing you to run extra software, they just offer it if you like. If it wasn't for Skyrim I wouldn't be using Steam at all. 

Plus, in one year of using Windows 10 I never bothered to have a look at the MS store at all. It's there, but it is treated with plain ignorance. :P I haven't found anything that made it necessary yet. 

Of course an EULA that's made known to the customer usually first after receiving the product during the installation process doesn't hold water in court in most countries outside of the U.S., but there it does. So, the EULA might be more likely a pious Pilate-like counterinsurance for a U.S. company in case of a judicial action based on received and forwarded private data against a customer acc. to U.S. law, launched e.g. by a state party, the usual suspects. When in makes kaboom in your garden as a result, you know more than we ever want to know.

Just my 2 cts

I'm outty

Main thing in countries outside the US, is that many EULA's from there contain clauses which state you waive legally guaranteed rights under consumer protection laws, privacy laws, etc.  Well in those countries outside the US as companies like MS, Facebook, Google, etc., have all learned:  "If you don't want to adhere to our laws, then we'll make the entire agreement void and still slap your ass with fines if need be."  While letting the consumer sue you in our jurisdiction and holding you to account.  Ebay found that one out the hard way in Canada, and so did Facebook when they were threatened with $10m/day fines(for the first 14 days) which would have increased to $50m/day after 15 days.

Archived