How to repair things when you go one mod too far...

xxx696

Hello Guys,

With the help of this community and a full week of hard work I finally had Skyrim modded to exactly where I wanted it. Then I went too far...

I added 5 mods simultaneously and hit the update on FNIS. My saved games wouldn't load and would crash immediately. I deselected the mods. The game loaded, but all animations were deleted. I deleted the new mods, updated FNIS again, and now no saved games will load at all. I've obviously put some files into the Skyrim folder which I shouldn't have and now have no way of finding and deleting them.

Help! If anybody has any ideas that would be awesome, but I get the feeling that I'll mainly be doing a full wipe and starting all over again. For a third time...

Here's the MO error message if it means anything to anybody:

DEBUG (17:17:22.0873): remove mod file D:\Games\steamapps\common\Skyrim\data\meshes\animationsetdatasinglefile.SAVE
INFO (17:17:22.0873): deleting D:\Games\steamapps\common\Skyrim\data\meshes\animationsetdatasinglefile.SAVE -> D:\Games\steamapps\common\Skyrim\data\meshes\animationsetdatasinglefile.SAVE
DEBUG (17:17:22.0874): using path from previous deletion: D:\Games\steamapps\common\Skyrim\data\meshes\animationsetdatasinglefile.SAVE
DEBUG (17:17:22.0874): remove mod file D:\Games\steamapps\common\Skyrim\data\meshes\animationsetdatasinglefile.txt

ERROR (17:17:22.0874): not a mod directory: D:\Games\steamapps\common\Skyrim\data\meshes\animationsetdatasinglefile.SAVE
DEBUG (17:17:23.0026): move (ex) D:\Games\steamapps\common\Skyrim\data\meshes\animationsetdatasinglefile.txt to D:\Games\steamapps\common\Skyrim\data\meshes\animationsetdatasinglefile.SAVE - 1 (183)
DEBUG (17:17:23.0026): using path from previous deletion: D:\Games\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Mod Organizer\mods\FNIS Behavior\meshes\animationsetdatasinglefile.txt
DEBUG (17:17:23.0026): remove mod file D:\Games\steamapps\common\Skyrim\data\meshes\animationsetdatasinglefile2.txt
DEBUG (17:17:23.0026): add mod file D:\Games\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Mod Organizer\mods\FNIS Behavior\meshes\animationsetdatasinglefile.txt (meshes\animationsetdatasinglefile.txt)
DEBUG (17:17:23.0026): move (ex) D:\Games\steamapps\common\Skyrim\data\meshes\animationsetdatasinglefile2.txt to D:\Games\steamapps\common\Skyrim\data\meshes\animationsetdatasinglefile.txt - 1 (183)

Didn't anybody toll you that you should add animated mods one by one and run FINIS instead of installing a bunch and rinning FNIS then? ^^" 

Also, can you load your savegames if you load a 'fresh' save first? (Like starting a new game and save as soon as you can and use that savegame to load your current one? 

(And finally, you should have posted that in the technical support section. :P)

Thanks for the advice, and the sympathy, guys! For anybody reading this who is having the same problem:

- Please read Comrade's comments above, if it isn't too late: I never knew to install only one mod at a time

- Second, I've found out that this problem seems to be an intermittent problem with my latest saved game file only. I went back one auto save and it was fine. However, it is still sometimes affecting my latest file so I am having to save now multiple times before logging off, just to be safe. 

If you're not using Crash Fixes, the savegame issue could be the standard one, a lot of people are experiencing. 

The game just doesn't want to load, although it should be fine, this is often due to a high string count in papyrus scripts. 

Loading an older save, or a fresh one when you start your game, and then loading your current save from there should solve the problem. (You should create a save file from a new game, that is as clean and fresh as possible, that works best)

Or you could have a look at the guide I linked in my signature, read it carefully and get more performance and stability out of your game. (Unless it's not your mods that are messing things up.) Also these fixes can even load games, when you exceeded the limit on string counts, what would usually break your savegame for good. They won't be able to be loaded in any savegame editor anymore though, once that patch has to kick in, so you shouldn't overdo it with scripts in the first place. 

But don't panic, the savegame issues even occur if your stringcount is perfectly fine. It's just a thing Skyrim does... for whatever reason. :) 

Archived