[Stellaris] Drow of Stellaris >;-)

OMGZ I would love a bananoid race XD Why didn't I think of that?? It would be the best! And I actually like all the different species. My only gripe is that while they're different in regards to one another, their only internal variance is colours.

Oh by the by. I'm sorry I'm going wildly off-topic again but a new dev diary just came out like 10 minutes ago and it got me thinking. In your elven mod, you added the avari worlds and also a bunch of planetary habitability traits. But... are those needed? I don't see them connected to anything and there's no way to acquire them as far as I can see. If I were to comment those traits out, what would happen?

I'm asking this because the next big update is apparently slated to add new types of habitable planets and I wonder how much it will affect avari worlds.

Haha! laugh.png  Well, having bananas as fallen empires would be interesting. "All your fruit is ours!" Er... biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

The habitability traits are required for any new planet type unfortunately. If you look, there's even one for gaia worlds. (Which are just like the Avari worlds really. Both are ideal planet types.) And you're right, there is no way to acquire them. (A good thing too, a race with an Avari habitability trait wouldn't be able to expand much!) Without them however, the error log whines incessantly and I believe some other issues happen as well, like... the Avari planet tiles don't show up right or something. (There was some error I can't recall now. It was fixed by adding those traits that nobody will ever see. laugh.png)

The Avari worlds shouldn't really be affected by the planet redo because they are classified as gaia worlds. Though I may have to do some shuffling if they change their nomenclature. AGAIN.

Oh I'm sure they'll change something that will require me to dig through the files! Hah! laugh.png

Actually I like the changes they're planning.  I've always thought the planet types in Stellaris were... well... stupid. laugh.png  Still, it shouldn't be about what sort of climate it is (planets have all climates!!) It should be about what the atmosphere is. In Stellaris, really the only habitable planet type is oxygen atmosphere. In fact, I think it may be the most limited space game in terms of planets that I've ever played. Most 4X style games I've played have oxygen, nitrogen, CO2, etc. atmospheres. Terraforming in those means turning Mars into Earth for example. biggrin.png

Oh yah definitely. But I understand why they chose to go that route. I think they actually intended planetary modifiers to be what determines "nonstandard" properties.

Planets in Stellaris can in fact have different climates, atmospheric compositions, crust compositions, gravitation, radiation levels and so on but... I noticed these mechanis are woefully underused in the vanilla game. Like right now I have a small empire with about 14 planets (not all settled yet) and only 1 of those has "high gravity" and one other has "atmospheric aphrodisiac" or whatever the name of that is. I think that a lot of the dullness of habitable planets in Stellaris would be solved if they increased the variety and prevalence of planetary modifiers. That way they would become more than just generic "insert climate here planet".

Personally tho I'm most excited about civilian traffic and the things they're doing to Fallen Empires in the patch. Martin Anward is a big tease and tweeted a lot of dope stuff LIKE OMGZ THAT SHIP IS HUGE I WANT IT IN MY LIFE <3

(And the front part totally looks like Destiny Ascension. I'm so stealing it for my Asari mod once the patch is live.)

I normally play with AlphaMod so I already get more planet modifiers. And I agree completely, it really helps make planets different. With vanilla it's... kind of boring on that front.

Whoa. WANT. THAT. SHIP. laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

Yes, I could whip out some retextured versions of that baby! And why in the world do they do so much better for fallen/event ships and then have just junk for the regular civ ships? Those plant ships may be the ugliest in the game so far! Annoying. laugh.png

But they -can- make decent ships at least!

Fallens are pretty scary already with the mods I've got. Having them "wake up".... sounds awesome! cool.gif

I wonder what makes them wake up. If it's something player can trigger or a random event. He also posted pictures of 2 FEs fighting each other which I think would be fun to see. I always liked the idea of Fallen Empires having their own political stuff going on, completely indifferent to all those upstart little empires buzzing around.

Playing Space Drow has turned out to be a wonderful experience, changing both how I approach anomalies and other species alike, Thank you verymuch, I'll be enjoying this for quite some time!

I did want to mention something kind-of related, you can read on or dismiss the rest of this as you please;

There's a comic that was released on a website called Drowtales, and it was basically a vote-driven comic where subscribers could vote on what they wanted to happen.

the writers/artists got a bit miffed more often than not when subscribers voted to give up on story half the time and go for tits rather than play it into the story)

Regardless, the concept itself was fairly interesting and actually rather funny at times, where the drow encounter "Aliens" that don't use magic to enhance their technology, and it plays out the first encounter scenario.

Figured I'd mention it in-case you wanted to continue modding the drow into the game or just wanted to imagine one of the scenarios for it.

Either way, enjoy, love the mod.

@Princessity

No idea but it sure sounds interesting. I wonder if one of the conditions might be a nearby empire conquering everyone else? Or perhaps one too many purges? It will certainly be nice to see them take more actions than just blowing you up if you annoy them.

One thing though, have you noticed in the latest update that the xenophobic fallens are just a -tad- more snippy? It used to be you'd be ok as long as your borders didn't touch theirs at all. Now they're going bonkers if you're -near- their borders.

@Randomwower

Heh, I've never even heard of that comic. (It's anime though, not a fan of that.) I do have some ideas for elf/Drow anomalies and events though. Just trying to get the abdication thing going first. Once I have that settled I'll look into a standalone event/anomaly mod.

I never interacted much with the Xenophobes, I'm usually lucky enough to spawn on the opposite side of the galaxy. And I hope it will stay that way XD

I'm always so happy when Keepers of Knowledge spawn near me tho. Getting my own ringworld is like the second most satisfying thing I've done in the game. On my third playthrough I expanded halfway across the map because I wanted it soooo bad!

And then I turned it into a minefield flower

post-34019-0-35859500-1472073650_thumb.png

I actually really wish I could move my capital to it in the lategame. At that point I couldn't care less about my starting planet.

And I thought I was the only one that made designs with space stations! cool.gif Plus they have the added bonus of blowing the heck out of fallen/crisis fleets. (When equipped properly at least.)

Not being able to move the capital is one of the reasons I came up with the Avari worlds in the first place. I wanted a nice starting planet from the beginning. Seems to me there is a "move your capital" mod out there. I imagine Paradox will eventually get around to adding that though.

And I thought I was the only one that made designs with space stations! cool.gif Plus they have the added bonus of blowing the heck out of fallen/crisis fleets. (When equipped properly at least.)

YAY! I found a soulmate! XD I have terrible OCD. All my important systems have to be ready for anything AND look pretty. I even declare wars over wonky-looking borders because I hate random colonies of other empires cutting into my territory. The only neighbours I tolerate are those that look good next to me.

I actually, in the same playthrough, managed to use the Unbidden to "peacefully" solve a border dispute for me. I developed Psi-drives and triggered their invasion and it just so happened that it erupted in the middle of an empire I wanted gone but didn't want to go to war with because they were in federation with like 6 other empires around me. The Unbidden came and by the time my fleet was strong enough to kill the portal, they had wiped out almost all of that annoying empire's worlds for me <3

Killing the portal was actually the most exciting and rewarding moment I've experienced in Stellaris so far. I designed a new series of ships specifically for bursting down big targets (by which I mean nothing but Tachyon Lances on everything) and used my old ragtag bunch ships as a decoy. I sent in the decoy first, the Unbidden sent like all their fleets after it and the moment they engaged in combat, I jumped my strike fleet right on top of the portal. When it was down I pulled both of the fleets out. What was left of the decoy fleet was pursued and completely destroyed and the strike fleet lost a lot of ships in the retreat but it was still so worth it. Once I rebuilt the fleet, I went on to kill off the Unbidden remnants and settled the now unclaimed territories and stole all the fully furnished planets, courtesy of their former owner. It was so evil but I felt so goooood! XD

YAY! I found a soulmate! XD I have terrible OCD. All my important systems have to be ready for anything AND look pretty. I even declare wars over wonky-looking borders because I hate random colonies of other empires cutting into my territory. The only neighbours I tolerate are those that look good next to me.

I actually, in the same playthrough, managed to use the Unbidden to "peacefully" solve a border dispute for me. I developed Psi-drives and triggered their invasion and it just so happened that it erupted in the middle of an empire I wanted gone but didn't want to go to war with because they were in federation with like 6 other empires around me. The Unbidden came and by the time my fleet was strong enough to kill the portal, they had wiped out almost all of that annoying empire's worlds for me <3

Killing the portal was actually the most exciting and rewarding moment I've experienced in Stellaris so far. I designed a new series of ships specifically for bursting down big targets (by which I mean nothing but Tachyon Lances on everything) and used my old ragtag bunch ships as a decoy. I sent in the decoy first, the Unbidden sent like all their fleets after it and the moment they engaged in combat, I jumped my strike fleet right on top of the portal. When it was down I pulled both of the fleets out. What was left of the decoy fleet was pursued and completely destroyed and the strike fleet lost a lot of ships in the retreat but it was still so worth it. Once I rebuilt the fleet, I went on to kill off the Unbidden remnants and settled the now unclaimed territories and stole all the fully furnished planets, courtesy of their former owner. It was so evil but I felt so goooood! XD

If it can't be attractive, what's the point? That's my philosophy as well. laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

So far I've managed to lose every time against the Unbidden. confused.gif  (The mods I use though buff them up quite a bit.) However, my last game had a similar situation except it was with one of those annoying fallens that attack you because you get too close. I was ready for them though! I had several systems filled with stations. Mostly the cheap defense platforms all fit with tachyons. (And attractively arranged, naturally! laugh.png) I figured they'd have at least 3 fleets around 25K a piece. I also figured if I could blow up enough of their ships they'd retreat. And it worked!!! They warped into 3 different systems all outfitted with stations everywhere. While they were getting attacked I sent my primary fleet right to their homeworld and was able to force them into a white peace by blockading their homeworld. cool.gif

A little later on they attacked again but by that time my fleets were stronger. Mwhahaha! laugh.pnglaugh.png They were talking mushrooms so I did the only humane thing possible: purged every last one of them. laugh.png laugh.png laugh.png laugh.png 

Oh yah the Unbidden can be total pain. At first I got kinda rekt because I severely underestimated their AI: they actually reinforce fleets and stations that are under attack which makes it really hard to kill their fleets one at a time! I never thought they would do that because regular empires act like total morons in war.

I think the best solution to Unbidden invasions is stopping it before they get to open more than one portal. In the release version of the game I actually saw them conquer like 1/3 of the galaxy because back then empires had closed borders by default and the idiot empires that were getting wiped out WOULDN'T LET ME GET TO THE SILLY PORTAL AND SAVE THEIR BUTTS! Ugh! And that was back when Unbidden were weaker and spawned earlier. In the end they managed to open 2 portals, spawned like 12 billion fleets (rough estimate) and at that point I gave up on that playthrough because all the fun stuff was happening on the other side of the galaxy and I was stuck behind a space iron curtain and would have had to conquer half the civs just to even meet the Unbidden (and most likely get rekt) XD

And I was a bit silly too because I decided to go with Hyperspace as my drive in my first playthrough which just added to my frustrations.

Thank gosh Paradox decided to change border mechanics eventually. I don't think I would still be playing the game if they hadn't.

I know! When you're used to the stupid empires doing everything stupid while you're at war, it's kind of a shock to find that the unbidden are actually pretty smart. (Or at least, smarter!) With empires, I can just chip away at their less important systems while their main fleets apparently chase fairies or something. With the unbidden if I attack one station, they actually send their fleets to investigate! laugh.png Then if you're winning against one fleet, another 3 show up for reinforcement! cool.gif

Wait, they open more than one portal!? Wow. I guess in all my games I've been zonked before they had the chance.

Oh my, I tried hyperspace once. BAD MOVE! laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png I pretty much only use wormholes now. Sure you have to build the gates but it's so much faster than everything else. Plus it seems that empires are pretty stupid and don't attack the gates from the start while at war. wink.png

Yeah the change in borders was a very good thing. I also like the changes with the precursor event chains. Now if you miss anomalies, you periodically find more!

So, the issue of Balance was talked about with the trait that lets the Drow live so long, and I've got 2 cents that I might be able to share about it;

Elves in general have a very long-term outlook and tend to learn slower than shorter-lived races, they also have a longer gestation period and do not spread like wildfire unless they are expanding by conquest; I recommend that their trait make their leaders learn slower and their populations reproduce that much slower so that every member of the race be precious to them, and consequentially, their player.

Losing leaders and losing population would hurt that much more.

Also it would probably mean Armies would take longer to build. Elves are only considered adults at around a century of life, afterall.

Hopefully the suggestion helps.

Yah that's a great idea. In my mod I have a trait that extends lifespan by 400 years but to make it balanced I folded unavoidable disadvantages into it.

trait_ageless = {
	cost = 4
	modification = no
	icon = "gfx/interface/icons/traits/asari/trait_asari_lifespan.dds"
	modifier = {
		leader_age = 400
		leader_influence_cost = 0.75
		species_leader_exp_gain = -0.50
	}
	opposites = { "trait_enduring" "trait_venerable" "trait_fleeting" "trait_quick_learners" "trait_slow_learners" }
}

(Still tweaking the values but this is the general idea.)

Eventually it's possible to zero-sum by researching technologies and some events but it does feel like a fair disadvantage for a powerful trait throughout early to midgame.

Ooo, that's an idea. Didn't think of leader influence. So far I've got some new negative, not negative traits going on.

For Drow:

Ilythiiri Metabolism

pop_food_req_mult = 0.25
building_time_mult = -0.05
tile_resource_minerals_mult = 0.05

Warrior Ethos

pop_food_req_mult = 0.25
army_damage_mult = 0.15
ship_weapon_damage = 0.02

Elfies:

Elven Beauty

pop_food_req_mult = 0.25
pop_happiness = 0.05
pop_other_species_happiness = 0.05

Mage Discipline

pop_growth_req_mult = 0.25
ship_evasion_mult = 0.05
all_technology_research_speed = 0.05

Still have the basic boring Elven/Drow traits that extend lifetime though. I made these other traits (for the next versions) in order to get some variety. There aren't many negative traits out there.

Oh yeah, and I think I've fixed the occasional annoying event of alien races having "elven/drow" traits.

I would be careful with pop_other_species_happiness. Even 0.01 is worth 1 trait point (at least according to vanilla values) and I think it's because it's cumulative. With 5% strength, it would take just a couple of elven pops on a planet to permanently pacify it and turn it into a productive paradise.

Whiiiiiich sounds a little bit horribly unbalanced to me XD

I -think- you just add "modification = no" to your trait. Now that means you can't add said trait later but it also appears to limit the game from randomly picking it as well. At least so far. I was noticing elven/drow traits popping up on mushrooms of all things. Now in my tests I've yet to see another case. (And in my case the traits should only be limited to elves/drow and nobody else.)

Of course I could still be wrong and the problem shows up again in a test. That's usually how it works with me. laugh.png

I know you can use "initial = no" which will also zonk it from randomization... but it will also make the trait vanish from the race creation thing. You can still assign the trait in a pre-scripted civ however.

Ohhh... that explains why nobody ever picks my traits. I thought it had something to do with their cost.

...tho I guess it still may be the case? For some reason the AI has an aversion to traits that cost more than 2 points... or it may be smart enough to know that Venerable post-nerf is total poodoo and Extremely Adaptive won't be worth the price until the next patch.

I have run into randomized races with venerable and my elven/drow traits prior to this though. So it seems the AI does pick up the larger traits sometimes, just not most of the time. laugh.png

If you have traits you only want for your race you could try turning off the randomization like I did and just add in "random" races via system initializers. The fun part about that is you can pick exactly what traits you want your pre-FTL/fallen/full civs to have. So at the moment, one never runs into an elf without the one of the elven traits. Not sure if that's what you're after however. wink.png

Come to think of it, it would be pretty hilarious to run into a talking mushroom with the "Elven Beauty" trait! angel.gif

Ok... so I've been thinking about balance. And... I realize I'm pathetic at it. laugh.png  That being the case, here's my proposed traits. So everybody pile on and give opinions on how to balance it better. laugh.png (I can write events, retexture ships, make outfits.... but don't ask me about balance! biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png )

Those Crazy Elves

Elven Trait
Cost = 4
leader_age = 750
species_leader_exp_gain = -0.75

Sidh Adherant
cost = -1
pop_other_species_happiness = 0.01
army_damage_mult = -0.05

Elven Beauty
cost = -1
pop_food_req_mult = 0.25