[Stellaris] Drow of Stellaris >;-)

The rough part doesn't bother me. It's the general shape that's important. I can make anything in Maya but I often have no idea where to even start. These sketches are incredibly helpful. If I know what I'm making before I fire up Maya things go a lot faster. angel.gif

I have a rather interesting idea for the colony ship. A cylindrical ship with 3 colony decks. Should be fun. laugh.png

The web looked good in Maya but as soon as it was in Stellaris the glow was overwhelming. That flare effect made it a flying web instead of a ship. laugh.pnglaugh.png (I did like the colored lens flares though.)

Been doing some preliminary tests and I think the web-as-panels is going to work out. It does mean each ship texture is going to take a little bit more but I think it might look great. I'll have a new test using corvette2 in a few days. (I'm also building Asari stuff at the moment in a mad dash to wrap up stations before Banks.) Also it would give the Drow a little something different since the Asari are going to be using "elven" panels in their upcoming texture redo.

There's a carrier attempt coming tomorrow (or a bit later). Then...well, we have ran out of ideas. We may try to design a single capital at this point, but I don't know how it will work out.

After the carrier I'll generalize all the sketches in one post for better availability and with my opinion about ship classes. If you don't mind, of course.

LOVE it! As always!!

And if you've got any ideas at all, please do post! cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif  It's going to take some time to get all these finished anyway so if you come up with more capital designs in meantime, post them please!! laugh.png

We've definitely got vanilla ship styles covered at this point. That would leave a few NSC ships. Primarily the super capitals.

And thanks again for these fantastic sketches! heart.gifheart.gifheart.gif

Did some playing around with textures again. This is the web-as-panels idea.

post-99-0-77128100-1490462412_thumb.png

Still playing with the specular, not sure I'm happy about the amount of shine quite yet.

And... progressing on Corvette1. I may wait for pics of that until the textures are done. blush.gif

Also, that last sketch... I'm loving that so much I may turn that into the science vessel actually. I just love the sort of... twisted vine like center. Perhaps the advanced science ship would have  3rd or 4th wing.

The webs are great and the ship mesh is too, but still... I don't know if the vine glow fits drow at all. They shouldn't have any vines in the Underdark.

The "spider legs" on the sketches are supposed to glow, but not all the sketches have them. So... uhh... in my opinion vine glow looks odd but I cannot suggest something really helpful. In fact ignore that twaddle  :). You're doing all the work and I'm complaining here.

Also, that last sketch... I'm loving that so much I may turn that into the science vessel actually. I just love the sort of... twisted vine like center. Perhaps the advanced science ship would have  3rd or 4th wing.

Hmm... I thought it looks aggressive enough to be the frontline brawler. It will look good as a science ship too, but I usually do not observe my science vessels after the early game phase  ;). I love the elven science ship design but then I give it ten systems to survey, forget about it and that's a pity.

And you can always model a civilian vessel and a combat ship using the same design. I'll say that again - I'm still delighted with your elven light carrier and colony ship. The whole idea looks SO realistic.

Hey they have vines in the underdark! wink.png Big ones... with poisonous thorns. laugh.pnglaugh.png

Actually I'm considering some kind of scheme to use different glow patterns based on ship class. So not only are they different, at a glance you can tell what your ship is. (As if the size wasn't enough. We'll see if this works! angel.gif)

I personally like the twisty vines (I prefer the bottom twisty to the top one. Which nobody has seen because I always forget to take a shot!) However corvettes are too small for something with that kind of intricacy. So the final version will have some kind of glowy design that you can actually see from a distance. I'll experiment with various angular designs. Maybe even something as simple as jagged lightning might work. Perhaps some ships have nothing at all? We'll find out. laugh.png

The science vessel is only partially important because it's the first ship you see. Who wants to pick an ugly ship? laugh.png  You're right about reusing things. Perhaps I could take the science vessel, size it up a bit, and make it more (or less swept), anyway a little bit different and call that the strike cruiser. Might work out. And it will mean a lot less work on my part! angel.gif

Hey they have vines in the underdark! wink.png Big ones... with poisonous thorns. laugh.pnglaugh.png

Really? I've definitely missed that part then  :s.

By the way I wonder how it will look like if corvettes do not have the wing glow. Corvettes -> no glow, frigates/destroyers -> it starts appearing etc.

Anyway, I've promised to post carriers! And merge all the sketches into one post. Any new ships will be appended to this post as well (if the forum engine lets me).

So, webs = ship panels, spider legs = glow. Front side drawings on carriers are sort of... well, sort of shit, but they are more comprehensive unlike the 2D battleship front side depiction.

Corvette:

EZaWZbk8B_o.jpg

Destroyer:

al70fUNgJ9Y.jpg

Cruiser:

KJSWtNbZf1Q.jpg

Science/strike cruiser:

ZyP_UzAfz5E.jpg

Battlecruiser:

KUmwRHL4kJo.jpg

Battleship (it looks fat enough):

o5vsRw2CXfE.jpg

Light carrier (there are multiple overlapping panels on it's tail):

7IsBDByZwuo.jpg

Carrier:

QvMawQS9ei8.jpg

Oh my goodness! Those carriers are simply inspired!! LOVE them both!! laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

Yeah I'm starting to think the corvettes should have no design. I'll try that with the new one too.

Definitely have pretty much everything for vanilla covered now. (Except the boring civilian stuff. laugh.png)

If you two come up with any supercapital ships....  I'll be VERY excited to see what you end up with.

Alrighty, now to get all these ships modeled!! angel.gif

• 2 weeks later...

You're going to want to wait for 1.5 on this one. And due to the ships not being done yet, it's going to be a bit. I think the Asari are already up to 1.5 and the elves will be before the Drow. (Sorry Drow! laugh.png) But I don't have a timeline for when the elves will be done. Lots of work to do.

Update!!!!

First of all, this update is entirely possible thanks to Porev!!! cool.gif  (Without his help there would have been no updates of this at all till the ships were finished.)

• Updated to 1.5
  • 2 new absolutely inappropriate flags I've had laying around have been added. wink.png
  • Premade civs now set to -not- spawn by default.
  • New civics
  • Girl slaves get clothes depending on slave types
  • Updated solar system starts to match 1.5
  • Eilistraeen is now a civic.
  • Drow racial trait now uses new 1.5 immortal property. (Doesn't show up in trait selection but will in game. Let me know if drow really are immortal!)

Ok with that I'm back to ships for awhile. Screenies and such coming as they get finished! angel.gif

The Elves have NSC compatibility. wink.png  Easiest way for the drow would be..... to point their ship style to avian or something.

For instance: go to... common\species_classes\00_drow_sepcies_classes.txt

Change "graphical_culture = drow_01" to "graphical_culture = avian_01".

1. Goto <mod folder>/gfx/portraits/asset_selectors/

2. Open drow_female_clothes_01.txt

3. Regular triggers from here. Remove outfits you don't want from the lists (if it cannot find a suitable one due to too restrictive triggers it'll revert to the default one). Plenty of comments in the file so it should be easy to figure out. Scope is what it says (POP, Leader, Ruler).

So, I'm getting close to actually finishing a full game of Stellaris, and a purely vanilla one at that! O.O

Do not in any way want to sound pushy or impatient here, just asking for info, are the Drow/Elf mods with ships coming soonish? If so I'll hold off on my next game because I love using these mods.

Very noob question, but I can not find the .mod files for neither Elves of Stellaris nor Drow of Stellaris in the downloaded files. I could find the .mod files for the patches you made for New Ship Classes mod, but not for the mods themselves. What did I do wrong? Thanks beforehand.

Are you using 7zip? They're all at the same level as the folders.

Oh, and you put the mod, along with its folder in your mod folder, usually: "YourUserFolder\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Stellaris\mod".

and here Ive been plonking them in the mod folder in the game directory O.o