[Stellaris] Drow of Stellaris >;-)

View File

Space Drow!!

Vith'dos dhyn!
AHEM... adds Drow to Stellaris. wink.png

Features

• Girls: 6 phenotypes, 5 colors. Guys: 3 phenotypes, 5 colors.
  • 2 retextured new ship styles. (Mix and match of existing rare ships.) Purple (Ilythiiri) and Drow (red).
  • 2 new city style retextures. Drow and Ilythiiri.
  • Matching survey scan colors. (I mention this because it was a pain to get working. laugh.png )
  • 144 outfits for girls, 89 for guys
  • Enslaved Drow have ... relaxed Drowy slave clothes.
  • Pops on cold planets wear winter stuff.
  • New hairstyles for girls (for elf ears), new hairstyles for guys (fixed for no man-buns and elf ears).
  • Ruler hairstyles with crowns.
  • Drow trait: extends leader's lifespans to +450 years.
  • Drow name list... sort of. (I don't really like Drow names so I sort of fudged it. It is a full namelist however.)
  • 2 prescripted empires. Children of Eilistraee (the tree-hugging Drow confused.gif) and a "peace-loving" friendly Drow empire bent on spreading universal love.... by bombing the hell out of all aliens. laugh.png
  • 2 new solar system starts. Binary system with a gaia homeworld, and a notorious damaged ring-world start. (These have neighboring systems but nothing overpowered.)
  • High chance (1/4 on small maps) of Drow fallen empires. Pre-ftl civs are now generated via solar system initializers. Meaning: Drow won't take over the galaxy anymore! wink.png

Quicky FAQ

How do I install this?
REALLY!? Extract to your "mod" folder, wherever that is. laugh.png

Um, why isn't this on Steam?
Oh come on. Have you READ the comments over there? It makes this place look sane. wink.png

Are they animated?
Yes!

Is this 1.4.* compatible?
It is now!

Hey, where are they?
Look for Drow on the list of race types.

Will this conflict with all kinds of other mods?
Shouldn't. I'm not editing any vanilla resources.

Will the computer use them for randomly generated empires?
Not in the general sense. I add them in directly via solar system initializers. This prevents them from showing up every 2 minutes. (Which is how it works if I let Stellaris randomly add them in!)

Did you add a name list?
Yes! Just look for "Drow" in the list.

Does this work for "iron-man" or some other Stellaris feature that Nessa has never nor will ever use?
No idea! laugh.png

Hey, where is that.... really super ugly girl hair from vanilla?
GONE. At least for Drow. I'm pretty sure I heard Drow everywhere cheering. laugh.png

Oh please! You left in the stupid man-bun hairdo for guys? What the..!?
Actually, that's gone now thank goodness! laugh.png

OK, what's this stupid colored eye thing? Drow have red eyes only!
One color is SOOO last era. Or just pretend they're "dark elves". tongue.png

Are you going to update this?
Eh... maybe, but probably not. It would seem so, and often. biggrin.png

Wait a sec, why is this even in the adult section!?
Most things I do end up with nudity somewhere eventually. I'm sure this won't be any different. And.. we've arrived there at record time! blush.gif

Did I just see pink hair? PINK HAIR!????
Everybody knows Drow like pink. It's common knowledge. shy.gif

What the hell is with this color scheme!?
What? You don't like psychotic clashing colors?? biggrin.png

For those interested in tweaking who shows up where:

Fallen Empires:
To stop any fallen empires from spawning, remove the folder:
DrowOfStellaris\common\fallen_empires

Tweaking the random Drow civ that may show up:
Go to:
DrowOfStellaris\common\solar_system_initializers\drow_random_system_initializers

At the very top of the text file you will see "@DrowRandomRate1" and "@DrowRandomMax1". The first is the percent chance a Drow civ appears. The second are the max number of Drow civs that can appear.

Tweaking pre-FTL civs:
Go to:
DrowOfStellaris\common\solar_system_initializers\drow_special_system_initializers.txt

At the very top are a bunch of values that can be changed to whatever you wish.

Special caveat:
Please note for multiplayer, that these settings (and file changes) need to match!! So distribute your edits to your friends!

If anybody is super attached to male crowns (yeah right laugh.png), now is probably a good time to mention it. I'm likely going to give men the same crown as girls. Next update (which won't be for a bit) will have some more clothing and such. I'm going to toy around with using the "color" section (used for other species like the cats) to handle eye and lipstick color. If it works out, we may have even more varieties possible without clicking the stupid phenotype button 20 billion times. laugh.png

Also: let me know what you think about the amount of Drow showing up. I think this new setup at least potentially has the possibility of stopping the "Drow everywhere" issue.

I don't know if you've already thought of this or if it's even possible, but could there be any special events for drow/dark elf startups encountering the drow/dark elf fallen empires?

Definitely possible. I've been toying around with a few ideas related to the destroyed ringworld. Also been thinking of some "adult-ish" anomalies. I mean, we're already in the adult section as it is....  laugh.png

And in reverse events for the drow/ dark elf normal star nations encountering drow/ dark elf primitives. I'm asking because in my last game I encountered both primitive dark elves and the dark elf fallen empire and it felt strange to me that there were no unique events for them and the game and my civilization's people treated them like any other xeno's.

Of course unique ship styles would be nice to have, but not as desired as events for me, personally I switched my elves back to mammalian ship types though.

I was thinking depending on various things (ethics, policies) of both parties, either the Drow's populace would demand integration or the pre-FTL civ would. For the fallens I was thinking of custom dialog and additional options for dealing with them.

Drow using hideous Mammalian ships!? I may have nightmares about that. laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

If my internet decides to stay functioning, there will be a new update today with slave handling. I've been testing it in my current game and it works great. Might consider tossing the whole "nudity" thing with Eilistraee (and tossing the Sidh totally) now that there is a logical in-game reason for pops to be without clothes. biggrin.png

Oh right, mini teaser...

post-99-0-80828700-1469890886_thumb.jpg

OK, so I went a tad fetishy. And that one with the piercings is way out there. (There's another different one for elves too. Why? No idea since you can barely see it in game anyway! laugh.png)

Thank you so much for both this and the Elf mod.

I have only launched a couple of start games to see the edits, and it looks definitely promissing.

However, I'm a bit sceptic on the new traits. The +750 years that costs only 4 points does not sound right. Of course, I do get you chose "lore" first, but the counter-traits are not punishing enough.

So, here's my suggestion. Why not create new "bad" traits that are VERY punishing. So if you get the "elven" trait (that would cost like 8 points, idk), you'd need definitely take 1-2 punishing traits (like (-4 each).

his way I would feel less of a cheat.

Hope this could be constructive.

Awesome job.

Edit :What about "very slow breeding" -30% growth time, for like "3 points". Drow trait could be "Cruel" -4% other species opinion, for 3 points.

@shogun

It was totally a lore choice. wink.png  But really.... what's the big perk of leaders that live a long time anyway? Leaders level up very quickly (even faster with certain techs/policies) and if one dies, it's not like they're hard to replace. A dead 5 star scientist will be 5 stars again in a very short time. The "venerable" trait is really a huge waste. Making the elven trait cost more is really just... going to make people not use the trait. biggrin.png (Honestly I have to stop myself from editing away the -4 for the elven trait in my games because I just know I'll forget to change it back before another update!! blush.gif )

Also, the AI is already bogged down with the negative traits. If I make them worse, might as well kiss AI elves goodbye. I've actually been thinking a bit on that....

Thoughts for some future version:

• If you don't play as one of the prescripted races they show up in your game BUT... they're gimped. I mean, has anybody run into the Ilythiiri Tulshar and thought "Oh no! Drow! Run!" No, it's more like: "Excellent! I can take them over and get a cool ringworld! Yay me!" laugh.pnglaugh.png

As such, I'm strongly thinking about making the prescripted races simply not -ever- show up in a game. I've noticed in the case of the Elves, the Evil Ascari smile.png are usually always nasty and a civ you generally want to play nice with or get zonked. That -should- be what happens when you run into the Drow as well. Also I've noticed the Sidh and Eilistraeens almost -always- barely make it anywhere without help from a player. Meanwhile the random Drow civ that is created is pretty decently nasty. So clearly there is some room for improvement here. laugh.png

All that said.....

You did just give me an idea. What if I make the negative aspects directly with the trait? Like....

• "Drow": 750+ years, -4% other species opinion.

So picking a standard Drow trait already has some negatives built in. This would allow for some more customization instead of always having to pick stupid negative traits. (There aren't all that many of them...) And it would still mean a nice bonus running into the pre-FTL civs as they don't have the negatives. laugh.png 

By the way, anybody run into the savage pre-FTL's that were early space age? Those armies of theirs are nasty! biggrin.png

Oops... forgot about the update stuff....

Ahem: UPDATE.

• Switched guy crowns to a similar sort as girls. (Though I didn't really mind the old Drow guy crowns.)

• Additional system start (and other system) tweaks. I went ahead and added colonizable planets for both system starts. Turns out, not just players have issues with that. The AI doesn't know what to do either.

• Portraits are now using color options instead of having to click the stupid phenotype button thousands of times. So, now we have....  Guys: 4 phenotypes, 4 colors; Girls: 4 phenotypes, 5 colors.

• Enslave a Drow, and thier clothes now change to ... quasi-slave-ish stuff. (Of course, the Drow probably wear that stuff to relax....) Really went overboard with the a "kinky" outfit for one of the girls but fortunately (or not depending on your viewpoint) it's pretty hard to see in game because pops are shrunk pretty small. Of course you can still choose it for your civ leader I suppose...

The advent of nudity making "some" sense via in-game mechanics leads me to question the point of having naked Eilistraeens running all over the place. That coupled with the above post about how the Eilistraeens can't ever make much of an empire UNLESS they are played by a human.... I'm thinking of changing some things around.

I now know how to change pop clothing based on traits they have or if they are on a world with some modifier. I could hunt around for some pertinent planet modifiers and pop traits where wandering around naked like a crazy might make some sense. (Atmospheric aphrodisiac is one of them.) Then I can turn the Eilistraeens into a militaristic religious society and they won't get zonked before you can run into them.

For the Sidh... well... OK, in the elf thread! biggrin.png

@shogun

It was totally a lore choice. wink.png  But really.... what's the big perk of leaders that live a long time anyway? Leaders level up very quickly (even faster with certain techs/policies) and if one dies, it's not like they're hard to replace. A dead 5 star scientist will be 5 stars again in a very short time. The "venerable" trait is really a huge waste. Making the elven trait cost more is really just... going to make people not use the trait. biggrin.png (Honestly I have to stop myself from editing away the -4 for the elven trait in my games because I just know I'll forget to change it back before another update!! blush.gif )

Also, the AI is already bogged down with the negative traits. If I make them worse, might as well kiss AI elves goodbye. I've actually been thinking a bit on that....

Thoughts for some future version:

• If you don't play as one of the prescripted races they show up in your game BUT... they're gimped. I mean, has anybody run into the Ilythiiri Tulshar and thought "Oh no! Drow! Run!" No, it's more like: "Excellent! I can take them over and get a cool ringworld! Yay me!" laugh.pnglaugh.png

As such, I'm strongly thinking about making the prescripted races simply not -ever- show up in a game. I've noticed in the case of the Elves, the Evil Ascari smile.png are usually always nasty and a civ you generally want to play nice with or get zonked. That -should- be what happens when you run into the Drow as well. Also I've noticed the Sidh and Eilistraeens almost -always- barely make it anywhere without help from a player. Meanwhile the random Drow civ that is created is pretty decently nasty. So clearly there is some room for improvement here. laugh.png

All that said.....

You did just give me an idea. What if I make the negative aspects directly with the trait? Like....

• "Drow": 750+ years, -4% other species opinion.

So picking a standard Drow trait already has some negatives built in. This would allow for some more customization instead of always having to pick stupid negative traits. (There aren't all that many of them...) And it would still mean a nice bonus running into the pre-FTL civs as they don't have the negatives. laugh.png

By the way, anybody run into the savage pre-FTL's that were early space age? Those armies of theirs are nasty! biggrin.png

Thx for your answer. You won't believe me if I told you I came to the same conclusion : I edited the elven and dar elven traits and add -10% growth rate directly inside that trait.

This gives a very punishing start when you choose "slow breeders".

Concerning the +750, I can hear your arguments however, on the very long run, your 5 star scientist and admirals WILL give you an edge on other civs, because they do have to start uilding their 5 stars every 80 years. Of course, Stellaris is not a competition game, but I don't feel as easy as you do. So I downgraded elves from +750 to +120 years and -10% growth. I like to suffer.

I haven't got into war with other elves so far, but there's a Fallen Empire one and another savage one at my doorsteps. Fortunately, I could write a small report here to tell you ow they fare against the AI and against meself.

Thank you again for this mod. One can see you' put hours of love into it. And I'm a drow lover...

Cheers!

@Shogun

I forgot one to mention one other thing! The 750+ years also causes issues with the leader of your civilization! I mean, say you get a ruler with traits that really aren't working out for you. Unless you're in some government that votes, you're out of luck for a -long- time. wink.png

But the nice thing is that traits are so easy to edit, pretty much anybody can make the changes they prefer. laugh.png

I think what I'm likely going to do is add in the negatives directly to the main Dark Elf/Elf traits. This will allow people to pick something -other- than a negative trait for once, while also retaining the negatives. Hopefully this won't zonk the AI too bad but we'll see. smile.png

Drow using hideous Mammalian ships!? I may have nightmares about that. laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

Yes, the ship styles in this game leave much to be desired. Not a fan of the aquatic looking Avian designs either though.

To end your nightmare someone would have to come up with a much sleeker style of ships that I actually do like. :lol:

Also to your changes, I liked the +750 years lifespan. Could you tell me which file to change to get that back at least? Besides, who cares about balance in single player games, not me.

Yes, the ship styles in this game leave much to be desired. Not a fan of the aquatic looking Avian designs either though.

To end your nightmare someone would have to come up with a much sleeker style of ships that I actually do like. :lol:

Also to your changes, I liked the +750 years lifespan. Could you tell me which file to change to get that back at least? Besides, who cares about balance in single player games, not me.

I care about a fair challenge. I want resistance and drawbacks. I want to feel my specie is fighting for its very survival. What I don't want is an AI that is obviously using cheats to make it happen.

So, that's why I care about "balance"...

So... just took a look at the plantoid stuff.

And... that's the last time I'm doing an "Oh a new DLC! Let me get that right now!" thing with Paradox.

I suppose the good news is we didn't get talking bananas. That's something. I guess. laugh.png

• 3 weeks later...

Hai I just wanted to say that I love you mods and I've been using them to learn a lot about Stellaris modding that I couldn't find anywhere else!

They're really well done! I especially love the huge variety of outfits and I hope that more are on the way because they're amazing <3

The only thing I don't like much is the imbalance, the traits seem like a bit much (even the "negative" ones are hardly disadvantageous). Plus, I like playing Autocracies but rulers living 800+ years make it really really hard to take advantage of the "one per ruler" big ships and space stations. Gosh sometimes I kinda wish there was a risk of having my rulers killed! Nonexistence of internal politics and espionage seems like such a missed opportunity. Oh well, maybe a few expansions from now ^^ Plantoids can't be the best Paradox have in store... hopefully.

But despite my gripes I figured out how to tweak some things to my liking and I even managed to make some progress on my own (probably private forever because I stole assets from like 5 different places to make them) Stellaris mods thanks to you <3

So although you may not be getting a lot of feedback or interest here on LL, I'd just like to let you know that there's someone who loves your work and that it's an inspiration to me. I hope you continue to work on your elven mods and whatever else you may have planned.

Erm... I didn't do an update post here? Must have just done the Drow elf post. LOL! laugh.png (OK, you know it's bad when you don't even know which of -your own- threads you're posting in! LOLOL!)

@Princessity

Thanks! smile.png  Oddly enough, the downloads here are better than the other places I have these posted. I guess we get more traffic here after all! laugh.png (Can't really post this stuff on Steam now that nudity is a thing. Well, assuming I'd ever post anything on Steam anyway!)

I hear you on the long life thing. I pretty much only play kingdoms or star empires and the advantages are pretty much borked. At least for star empires you can upgrade the space stations now... (I made another personal mod that gives kingdoms and empires different advantages. biggrin.png) The only in-game way to die unnaturally (that I'm aware of) is if you get into a war with a fallen empire and lose. It's a grand shame they didn't import a lot more mechanics from CK2 or the like. That would have made a truly unique space game! smile.png Plus managing to get the kids married off or finding a husband that doesn't look like a troll is always fun. laugh.png laugh.png

Got a new update sitting here that will add some additional traits (only for players and prescripted civs... I think anyway) that will help add a little variety. I get tired of always picking the same stupid negative traits all the time. laugh.png

What's really overdo is an elf/drow event mod. At that point I could add in new possible ways for the current leader to die or be replaced.

And yes, more clothes on the way. Still have a huge back log! smile.png

By the way, Skyrim isn't even worth playing without Vampiric Thirst. Fantastic work there! That's always on my -absolute essentials- list. laugh.png laugh.png

Just thought up an idea... elves live a long time, true. But it might be that your leader gets tired of ruling and abdicates. Perhaps this could be an event native to the Drow and Elf mods.

After some random time, say 120 - 150 years or so (easily configurable in a text file), an event pops up indicating the ruler wants to abdicate. From there:

• Allow the ruler to abdicate. (Maybe a small percentage chance of having the VERY rare war of succession situation. I've never had that happen in any game!)
  • Convince the ruler to continue on. (This might lead to a later event where the ruler abdicates period.)

This will also help with another really annoying aspect of Stellaris: rulers with traits you hate. Since I can't pick my ruler's traits on my own, they are randomly assigned for every new ruler. A bunch of games gave me a ruler with traits that are useless. (Like the slave trait for a nation with no slavery. Great.)

Another idea could be forced abdication. (How I would do this I'm not sure at present. An edict perhaps?) That way if you're tired of your current leader, you can send them off and get a new one.

I'll tinker a bit and see what I can come up with for the next version.

Thank you! I'm hoping to get the next version of VT out sometime this century! ^^

And as for the event idea, it sounds amazing! Maybe to add some variety to it, there could be multiple ways to force succession? Perhaps things like coup attempts (which would make a lot of sense for the drow at least XD), health issues, public scandals and such. With the same choice of staying in power anyway but with a chance to incur negative traits or temporary Empire debuffs?

I was actually looking into event chains and stuff but I'm still too green to script anything that works.

I'm trying to make an event that periodically kills off male rulers in my Asari mod (visually they don't have genders but behind the scenes some are still considered male which messes with ruler titles... and my OCD won't let that stand) but I've been unsuccessful so far. I don't quite know how to do that yet.

Hah, I know how that goes! I think I keep managing to dream up new mods to add to my list of "Things Nessa wants to release in her lifetime." laugh.png If I stop adding to the list I may actually be successful! laugh.png

Ooo, good ideas! cool.gif  Yes, that would work! Plus a little possibility of some succession wars might make the mid to late game a little more interesting. laugh.png Also: assassination attempts! For the Drow anyway. (Maybe elves too.) Internal stuff. The Drow in particular probably would have to deal with that. 

Events are a bit of a pain. Or at least that's my view of them. I've really only done the one so far. It's what fixes the ringworld and Elven Bling world wink.png custom system starts. Paradox changes something that screwed up starting on anything not your race's given planet type. So I use an event that fires at the beginning of the game to switch worlds back.

About male leaders... Have you tried tinkering with the portraits.txt? Like... what happens if you -don't- assign any males at all? Does that work? Or perhaps, putting in a trigger for a certain government type and you only pick female leaders? Or... keep the trigger for males but then switch gender? Not sure if any of those would work but it's a thought. smile.png

I've been meaning to take a look at this because I think it might be fun to have a situation where the leaders are all girls, BUT pops still have males.

Hah, I know how that goes! I think I keep managing to dream up new mods to add to my list of "Things Nessa wants to release in her lifetime." laugh.png If I stop adding to the list I may actually be successful! laugh.png

Ooo, good ideas! cool.gif  Yes, that would work! Plus a little possibility of some succession wars might make the mid to late game a little more interesting. laugh.png Also: assassination attempts! For the Drow anyway. (Maybe elves too.) Internal stuff. The Drow in particular probably would have to deal with that. 

Events are a bit of a pain. Or at least that's my view of them. I've really only done the one so far. It's what fixes the ringworld and Elven Bling world wink.png custom system starts. Paradox changes something that screwed up starting on anything not your race's given planet type. So I use an event that fires at the beginning of the game to switch worlds back.

About male leaders... Have you tried tinkering with the portraits.txt? Like... what happens if you -don't- assign any males at all? Does that work? Or perhaps, putting in a trigger for a certain government type and you only pick female leaders? Or... keep the trigger for males but then switch gender? Not sure if any of those would work but it's a thought. smile.png

I've been meaning to take a look at this because I think it might be fun to have a situation where the leaders are all girls, BUT pops still have males.

Portraits allow for monogender species and in fact that's the default behaviour if you don't specify any gender-conditional appearance. And like 99% of vanilla species are visually monogendered because apparently Paradox doesn't believe in alien dimorphism.

But regardless of portraits, every leader does in fact have a gender attribute set by the game. Normally it doesn't matter, but the one (and utterly annoying) thing that is affected by it are rulers and their titles.

Anyways right now I'm just trying to figure out how to set up a periodic event that runs every X years. It seems like a basic thing but I can't wrap my brain around it ._.

It's true, everything is male but hey! We get talking mushrooms! ... laugh.pnglaugh.png  (I should make a mod to just nix fungoids totally. Oddly enough, I kind of prefer the plants. I mean, they didn't make talking bananas, so that's a plus. laugh.png)

There are a lot of cross references with events that get kind of annoying. I've been looking at trying to get an abdication event to happen after some time. Got the event occurring alright (so far just a window saying "the event occurred!") but getting everything else in order is confusing as usual. biggrin.png

The More Events mod has a bunch of pretty simple examples that could be useful.

For forced abdication, I'm thinking an edict is the only way. (I was thinking Situation Log but that's more for anomalies and such.) So if a leader has the elf (or Drow) trait (or maybe just -if- a leader is off the race Elf/Drow) then you can use this edict to force the ruler to retire. Pretty simple and I think I can either restrict its use (once every ... 50 years maybe) OR....  you can use it as much as you like but if it happens too much you get a succession war.