Converting Skyrim Outfits to Fallout 4?

I am 100% noob here, (go easy on me here) but I have basic modding experience and most importantly a brain. The problem here is that I don't have any idea where to start and what I need to know in order to begin. I found an older post that I was hoping would answer my question located here: http://www.loverslab.com/topic/55939-how-do-i-convert-a-piece-of-skyrim-armor/ 

Sadly I understand none of what was posted by abovewolf. I don't know what an object file is (I am guessing a nif file from the meshes folder?) and I have a particular outfit that has a multitude of meshes and textures. The outfit I am attempting to convert is: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/58333/?

I have 0 experience in Outfit Studio, Nifskope and Material Editor (is that another word for 3D max?). Well Bodyslide I can just do the extreme basics and that's using the build button lol. Can someone help an aspiring noob out? And if possible I'd like to talk over Skype (chat or voice don't care) for consistent help. 

An object file is a file format for meshes (like Collada, Nif, etc.).

Obj files do not include skins - which is important because the skeleton of Skyrim and FO4 is completely different.

The Material Editor is a tool to create / edit of material files.

Material files contain textures and all settings for (Wetnes, Lightning, Subsurfacescatereing etc. etc.)

Is similar to the material in Poser or DAZ.

Before you want to convert models, I would always recommend that you learn the basics of NifSkope, Outfistudio + Bodyslide and CreationKit.

There are plenty of tutorials for Skyrim.

FO4 is partially different in CK and NifSkope (e.g. material-Files in Nif) - but the basics are the same as in Skyrim.

An object file is a file format for meshes (like Collada, Nif, etc.).
Obj files do not include skins - which is important because the skeleton of Skyrim and FO4 is completely different.

The Material Editor is a tool to create / edit of material files.
Material files contain textures and all settings for (Wetnes, Lightning, Subsurfacescatereing etc. etc.)

Is similar to the material in Poser or DAZ.

Before you want to convert models, I would always recommend that you learn the basics of NifSkope, Outfistudio + Bodyslide and CreationKit.
There are plenty of tutorials for Skyrim.

FO4 is partially different in CK and NifSkope (e.g. material-Files in Nif) - but the basics are the same as in Skyrim.

I figured some things out thanks to this guy's guide here:

I am stuck now on the material part tho for the outfit doesn't have a material folder. I have the Material Editor but I am not sure what to do next. :/

The easiest way to create a material file is to edit one that already exists.

Open any bgsm file with Material editor and change the paths to the textures (in the second tab). Then save it as a new file somewhere. You can make a new folder in the materials folder and save it there.

Then in order to assign it open the outfit in Outfit Studio, double click on the name of the mesh that you want to add it to and enter the location of the bgsm file. 

post-925979-0-94589200-1469520987_thumb.jpg

You can name the new bgsm file any way you want as long as you enter the correct name and path in Outfit studio. After you save the change you should see the texture been applied in the preview window.

Added

Before adding the textures to the material file you need to move them somewhere within the FO4 "data" folder. You can place them in their own directory in "textures" for example.

The easiest way to create a material file is to edit one that already exists.

Open any bgsm file with Material editor and change the paths to the textures (in the second tab). Then save it as a new file somewhere. You can make a new folder in the materials folder and save it there.

Then in order to assign it open the outfit in Outfit Studio, double click on the name of the mesh that you want to add it to and enter the location of the bgsm file. 

attachicon.gifmat.jpg

You can name the new bgsm file any way you want as long as you enter the correct name and path in Outfit studio. After you save the change you should see the texture been applied in the preview window.

Added

Before adding the textures to the material file you need to move them somewhere within the FO4 "data" folder. You can place them in their own directory in "textures" for example.

None of the textures are popping up in the preview menu. I think I fumbled somewhere but I am not sure. 

unpack the BSA - here are the textures and materials

And how prinyo rightly said, it is better to use an existing material as a template file.

Many errors in FO4 Modding due to incorrect material Settings.

Note for test:
Open CK -> switch to Armor Addon -> New -> select your mesh.

If CK freezes or CTD - mostly Material / Texture reason

There is no BSA to unpack... The mod comes with loose files.

When creating the material file (.bgsm) make sure you follow the way the path to the file is done - relative to the "data" directory. That's why I suggested using an existing bgsm file, you can only change parts of the paths to the textures.

Copy the "yurica" folder from the "textures" folder of the mod to your FO4 "textures" folder. And then add this location to the bgsm files.

Added:

I'm at work now so I can't test this, but an example should be:

"textures\yurica\yurica_kimono\aki\kimono_aki_d.dds" as a path to the texture in the material editor

save this as "materials\yurica\kimono_aki.bgsm" and add this as a material file to the outfit part as shown in my screenshot earlier

When creating the material file (.bgsm) make sure you follow the way the path to the file is done - relative to the "data" directory. That's why I suggested using an existing bgsm file, you can only change parts of the paths to the textures.

Copy the "yurica" folder from the "textures" folder of the mod to your FO4 "textures" folder. And then add this location to the bgsm files.

If he wants a BGSM EDIT - as a template - then he must also have a BGSM.  ;)

True  :D

But as OP didn't say they couldn't find a bgsm file to edit I assumed they have other outfit mods installed hence some bgsm fies laying around. 

Followed everything down to the letter from that video and you're guy's advice annnnndddd nothing...The material part is driving me nuts. Anyone here got skype? <3

If you have other outfit mods for FO4 installed maybe you can see how they work (open the mesh, see what bgsm it uses, see how the texture is assigned) and maybe it will help you find if you are doing something wrong. 

That was one of the first things I looked at. Apparently nothing is wrong. yet still nothing.

snip

Followed everything down to the letter from that video and you're guy's advice annnnndddd nothing...The material part is driving me nuts. Anyone here got skype? <3

Therefore I have written EXAMPLE.
Simply Google "Fallout 4 unpack BSA" etc. ;)

You can orient yourself even to existing mods
But the material is "only half the battle" - the Texture settings in the Nif are important.
Is it Facetint, Skin, Environment, default etc?
Is there proper Vertex Colors etc.
This is all important and needs in the Nif and in BGSM harmonize.

In the BSA's (BA2's) Fallout everything is included.
In mods - only what is important for the mod.

Skype is not a option - or do you speak German?

If you have other outfit mods for FO4 installed maybe you can see how they work (open the mesh, see what bgsm it uses, see how the texture is assigned) and maybe it will help you find if you are doing something wrong. 

That was one of the first things I looked at. Apparently nothing is wrong. yet still nothing.

Can you post some screenshots of what you are doing?

snip

Therefore I have written EXAMPLE.
Simply Google "Fallout 4 unpack BSA" etc. ;)

You can orient yourself even to existing mods
But the material is "only half the battle" - the Texture settings in the Nif are important.
Is it Facetint, Skin, Environment, default etc?
Is there proper Vertex Colors etc.
This is all important and needs in the Nif and in BGSM harmonize.

In the BSA's (BA2's) Fallout everything is included.
In mods - only what is important for the mod.

Skype is not a option - or do you speak German?

I am using a BGSM from the Rebel outfit mod. I have tons of mods and many of them have BGSM's. So do you text only in English and can't speak it? How odd lol. Well Skype would be faster. Once I understand how to do this I am going to post an updated tutorial in 1080P. I don't like that guy's tutorial. He did his best yeah but there's much he could expand upon and explain. 

I am using a BGSM from the Rebel outfit mod. I have tons of mods and many of them have BGSM's. So do you text only in English and can't speak it? How odd lol. Well Skype would be faster. Once I understand how to do this I am going to post an updated tutorial in 1080P. I don't like that guy's tutorial. He did his best yeah but there's much he could expand upon and explain. 

Nein ich schreibe auch Deutsch - ätsch. :P

In my time (school) - more than 30 years ago, I learned six years Russian
and 5 years of French.

In the cold war on the wrong side born from Germany. :)

But honestly - I can not speak Russian or French.
And English is only slightly - for work reasons.

If you have questions and I can help, then I'm happy.
But not in Skype or elsewhere.
Three reasons:

1. I need time to translate.  :blush:

2. Here in the forum, other people can read - maybe they have the same or similar questions

3. Here are many dedicated people - for example, CPU - which may also help

I get something like this

post-925979-0-94534000-1469560052_thumb.jpg

It is just a test to see if the material file will work. 

This is one of the kimonos on an FO4 CBBE body.

And this is how it looks in the game :

post-925979-0-01107400-1469561397_thumb.jpg  

This is how the bgsm file is assigned to the mesh:

post-925979-0-07672100-1469560515_thumb.jpg

And this is how the texture is assigned in the bgsm file:

post-925979-0-97017700-1469563387_thumb.jpg

And as I'have it opened anyway here are the previous steps.

1. Open the outfit in OS

2. Select one of the meshes (you will need to transfer them one by one)

3. Export to .obj file somewhere on the hard drive.

post-925979-0-80252600-1469562248_thumb.jpg

4. Open the FO4 body and import the .obj file

post-925979-0-91844500-1469562415_thumb.jpg

5. Right click on the name of the shape you just imported and select Move

6. After you move it correctly to the body click Tools -> Inflate and fit the outfit to the body 

post-925979-0-16261200-1469562639_thumb.jpg

7. Assign the texture and the material file as shown above

I use Nifskope in order to find what texture is been used.

post-925979-0-70505600-1469563038_thumb.jpg

8. Right click the name of the shape and select "Copy bone weights" and then from the menu "Slider" select "Conform selected"

Hope this helps.  :)

P.S. Someone more knowledgeable than me will need to give an idea how to deal with the hands:

post-925979-0-86058600-1469564146_thumb.jpg

I get something like this

attachicon.gifaki.jpg

It is just a test to see if the material file will work. 

This is one of the kimonos on an FO4 CBBE body.

And this is how it looks in the game :

attachicon.gifaki3.jpg

This is how the bgsm file is assigned to the mesh:

attachicon.gifaki1.jpg

And this is how the texture is assigned in the bgsm file:

attachicon.gifaki2.jpg

And as I'have it opened anyway here are the previous steps.

1. Open the outfit in OS

2. Select one of the meshes (you will need to transfer them one by one)

3. Export to .obj file somewhere on the hard drive.

attachicon.gifaki4.jpg

4. Open the FO4 body and import the .obj file

attachicon.gifaki5.jpg

5. Right click on the name of the shape you just imported and select Move

6. After you move it correctly to the body click Tools -> Inflate and fit the outfit to the body 

attachicon.gifaki6.jpg

7. Assign the texture and the material file as shown above

I use Nifskope in order to find what texture is been used.

attachicon.gifaki7.jpg

8. Right click the name of the shape and select "Copy bone weights" and then from the menu "Slider" select "Conform selected"

Hope this helps.  :)

P.S. Someone more knowledgeable than me will need to give an idea how to deal with the hands:

attachicon.gifaki8.jpg

I've finally got somewhere with this! Thank you so much! So I know how to make an ESP file after some research, but now I have no clue how to create an armor or outfit in itself. Time to do more research! BTW any help would be appreciated or any type of pointers to good guides on how to get started. 

Got it to work in game! Now I just need to learn how to make it AWKCR compatible, how to make a meshes and textures folder for just it in itself, and make it into it's own item without replacing. Thanks for your help guys! On a side not any help with gloves would be appreciated. No idea how to do those properly. I am using precursor's in the meantime. 

A little gratitude from Morgan:

XdPRAR8.png

Quick question for those who might be more knowledgeable than me.

I'm currently trying to convert this one Skyrim outfit to Fallout 4 and I've almost completed the process, but at the end I ran into wall.

Here's the original outfit how it looks in Skyrim:

20141227141101bb8.jpg

And here's the converted one in Fallout 4:

x1An99r.jpg

As you can see, the converted outfit in Fallout 4 doesn't have transparency like the original outfit has in Skyrim.

I've tried using the Nifskope to make the textures transparent as shown in this tutorial, but no luck there.

I suspect that I'll have to do something with the Material Editor too, but the question is what?

Any help on how to add transparency to outfits in Fallout 4 would be greatly aprreciated.

Archived