toothpick Lip mesh bug

So I've never had a issue before but everytime I try to use on preset for some weird reason the lips starting to stretch inside the face. Note this does leave a slight spot were the lips are showing. Just wondering if anyone's ever encountered something like that, Also will be putting up a pic of it as quickly as I can.

Edit: Pics are up as you can see changed it to black note how in the face the mesh stretches and also leaves a little mark not sure why though.

post-11136-0-02206400-1468550505_thumb.jpg

post-11136-0-61207700-1468550508_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well no matter how hard I try I can't seem to figure it out.  Fresh install still leaves the weird mouth bug and trying any face replacer doesn't fix it. So I'm not sure, what I do know is however if i have any old char saves their not effected by it however any new chars seem to have this issue. I also got better pictures to show the issue so if someone could give me a hand figuring out this it would be great.

post-11136-0-34804800-1470161099_thumb.jpg

post-11136-0-93680400-1470161102_thumb.jpg

post-11136-0-61431300-1470161105_thumb.jpg

So I have another thing to show its not a mod issue this is a picture with a fresh game and now mods the closet I can call it is a toothpick like mesh issue to the lips. Note I have actually found a few people with the issue the only thing is no one knows how to fix it.

post-11136-0-00326300-1471481550_thumb.jpg

Does that happen regardless of face shape / structure?

You say it affects all vanilla presets. What about NPCs?

Is the issue still only affecting your new saves?

What if you tried using Face Ripper to export your face from an old save where the issue isn't present and importing it into your new save? Or ripping an NPCs face who doesn't have that issue and then editing from there?

If that doesn't work, I have no idea what to do. I've seen other people comment on the lip issue but I haven't noticed it myself. I might have this glitch and just haven't noticed it yet.

Yes, it happens regardless of face shape doesn't matter which when you choose. As for npcs it won't affect their face as long as you don't edit the face. Now as for making it not present in my old save I've taken a few saves and the minute you change how the face is made the bug will show. Which means you can't fix or edit a face at all, your stuck with just using what is made.  Also using different non vanilla presets just makes it look worse. It seemed to show up maybe after a two or three patches after far harbor.

• 1 month later...

So I've brought a video of the bug in action. I'm starting to get annoyed with the bug because I can't seem to fix. literal I did a fresh install 6 times so if that won't fix it I don't know what will.

Anyways just pay attention the left side of the mouth on the character. If anyone knows how to fix this or has a suggestion that would be appreciated thanks.

Raynark, if that wasn't you intentionally morphing the chin and mouth then the issue is with your controller setup. Did you try using a mouse and keyboard for the looks menu? It really looked like you were intentionally morphing it, but I believe you if you say it was not intentional. Your controller, however, was doing it.

I morphed it to show the effect but even without morphing the mouth itself is actually glitching and bugging out. If you pay attention to the chatting part with the vault tec guy, the mouth seems to be stretching inside, also note the face I'm using is purely preset and not morphed at all. Its very subtle in screenshots and videos but when your actually playing you do notice it and its very distracting. And if you try to use mods it just makes it worse, however note I do not have any mods on this game purely fresh install of everything.

I don't know the answer, but my only thoughts right now are:

1. I've noticed different face mods make the lips look different. If you're using a face mod, perhaps try a different one?

2. Could there be a graphics card or driver issue with regard to the 3D rendering?

3.  Have you looked into the LooksMenu mod which allows for the import of some very nice presets from other players. Alternatively there's the FaceRipper mod which does the same but from outside the game. That would at least let you get some nicer preset faces than the default.

Post script: I do think it's possible you might be pushing your graphics card beyond its capability, but I don't know what graphics card you have and what settings you're using. I know some years back in another video game I used to over-push a previous graphics card, and it resulted in some bad 3D rendering issues.

I have a gtx 1080 and kicking everything at ultra almost shadows are dropped to a lower setting, however it could be because fallout 4 seems to be the only game that's buggy with it. As for looks menu I have not tried yet but when I used different preset replacer  it made the effect look worse. As for mods no mods at all right now so not face mods just pure vanilla face. 

Responsible for this is the BaseFemaleHead_faceBones.nif mesh in addition with the BaseFemaleHeadChargen.tri morph file.

I fixed this for me by editing the head mesh (because I don't know really how the morph files work and wanted to have a quick fix).

On the left side is the vanilla mesh, on the right side my edited mesh (I know it doesn't look like a fix, but it works for me):

solution.jpg

click to enlarge

I moved this pointy things closer to the center.

I did this edit with Outfitstudio, the problem is that after the export of the nif there is a gap between forehead and rearhead (I guess because of limitations of the tool) which is visible if you use hairstyles which show too much of the hairline.

The attached file is my edited mesh, feel free to try it, just drop the content into your data folder.

Edit:

Depending on your settings for the face, the lip issue can be worse in dialogues with my edit (haven't recognized it in my game), but you won't have a tooth pick coming out of the jaw.

EditedHeadMesh.7z

• 3 months later...

Dragging this back up from the depths due to running across this, and having found nothing after scouring google. It seems that Raynark is one of the few people talking about this. 
Raynark mentioned Oni face parts, which I've been using on my most recent character (well, alan81512's variation on it), and I've noticed that of all things EYES and EARS are causing a large portion of the issue. The offending part of the face seems to be part of the lip, which I confirmed using dark lipstick.

Average Ear, Alert Eye - You can see the black of the lip peeking through the face just barely.

Average Ear, Rested Eye - More of the lip is peeking through.
Average Ear, Narrow Eye (modded) - More of the lip is peeking through.

Lobeless Ear, Alert Eye - Basically no peeking (very edge of lip?).

Lobeless Ear, Rested Eye - Mild peek through cheek.

Lobeless Ear, Narrow Eye (modded) - Mild peek through cheek.

The Average ear type appears to be the worst offender, the others match Lobeless. The issue still exists using the default head parts mesh and chargen as the Rested eye causes it more strongly than the other default eye options.

It seems to be something to do with the chargen, as Wast said. The corner of the lip is being pushed forward by other parts on the face, of which the Average Ear and Rested Eye seem to be the greatest offenders. This can be further tested by reducing Rested Eye from 100-0%, as the corner of the lip will shrink and disappear. Mouth corner (mouse wheel) also contributes, pulling the skin back past the cover of the piercing section of the mouth.

EDIT:

Looking at the mesh Wast uploaded, there may be something else on the head mesh contributing to this as well?

Vertex Error?

The left and ride sides of the mouth don't match, with the right side having a section that doesn't match the inside of the mouth (it actually seems to match the lip), not to mention it doesn't seem to be fully connected in the first place. The mouth part of the head mesh is definitely not symmetrical.

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Stumbled upon this bug yesterday :frown:

I never created a face before, I was always using other players saves and presets. Finally I decided to do it alone.

I was modelling my face for about 2,5 hours, then noticed this bug. I thought it will be gone after reloading the game.

It wasn't. This bug is permanent and even face ripper transfers it to new character.

First bugged main menu, with random ctd's, then this... bugged first scene in game. I'm going to give it some more tries, but I'm close to giving up on this game.

In my theory, this bug appears in mirror scene in Sanctuary. Character is talking and smiling during modelling and this can be the cause.

When I skipped mirror scene and modelled my character at vault 111 exit, this bug wasn't so obvious.

I also noticed, that it appeared at some point, so I think something may be triggering it. I will test it more.

I don't use any mods, only some texture replacers.

and I never used Oni.

face.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 7/15/2016 at 4:39 AM, raynark said:

So I've never had a issue before but everytime I try to use on preset for some weird reason the lips starting to stretch inside the face. Note this does leave a slight spot were the lips are showing. Just wondering if anyone's ever encountered something like that, Also will be putting up a pic of it as quickly as I can.

Edit: Pics are up as you can see changed it to black note how in the face the mesh stretches and also leaves a little mark not sure why though.

post-11136-0-02206400-1468550505_thumb.jpg

post-11136-0-61207700-1468550508_thumb.jpg

This comes from a Camera Mod, like "show your own body" or "immersive first person" your camera is in 3rd person view, thats why the camera is cutting your head. 

• 1 month later...