Infamous Wood Elf CTD

As stated in the title, I just discovered about this CTD that only occurs when having a wood elf. With the research I have been undergoing and trial & error, it has something to do with the skeleton and TBBP functions? I'm not 100% on that but it has been stated by others that causes this issue at least for them.

I have tried many things, tweaked the Skeleton itself, TBBP and HDT options, reinstalled these said mods even used this skeleton fix that was mentioned in a past occurrence of this same issue: http://www.loverslab.com/topic/16001-fixedctd-with-female-wood-and-high-elves/

but I have had no such luck. My question is to anyone out there that is willing to answer is there any way that can fix this issue or am I doomed not to be able to play the wood elf race with my Skyrim? It's a shame for me too cause I spent 6 hours yesterday making a Wood Elf and now I cannot use her. :s

Update: I should inform that even when I use the savetool cleaner if I try to open the file with my wood elf save it crashes upon opening it.

The setup I have as well for my fresh games is inside the Alternate Start Prison. I wait 2-5 minutes for all my mods to register and load in then after everything has been settled I go into to my mod menu at set up the mods individually. This becomes taxing since once I got all my mods set up the way I wanted I save the game and use that save as a primary buffer when I want to load a later save. Unfortunately this save CTD's as soon as I load in making all that past effort quite vexing. I will make another file and redo all this as another race for the time being,

Are you CTD'ing when you go to sleep in the alternate start mod bed?  Is it just with wood elves or other races as well?  I had this issue and found out why in this post by Arthmoor a clean reinstall of XPMSE, CBBE, RaceMenu, HDT Physics, and FNIS seemed to fix it, I had this issue with the Nord and custom races in particular, not wood elves though, it's odd :s   I second what Tefajo said as well, as you said you've already tried a reinstall of relevant mods.

Are you CTD'ing when you go to sleep in the alternate start mod bed?  Is it just with wood elves or other races as well?  I had this issue and found out why in this post by Arthmoor a clean reinstall of XPMSE, CBBE, RaceMenu, HDT Physics, and FNIS seemed to fix it, I had this issue with the Nord and custom races in particular, not wood elves though, it's odd :s   I second what Tefajo said as well, as you said you've already tried a reinstall of relevant mods.

No I can make a new game no problem with any race even a wood elf "For starting out." If I leave the game and reload the save with the wood elf it will crash every time. I did a clean reinstall of all the mods you mentioned but I am going to check out your link.

This might sound obvious to you, but are you making sure that XPMSE skeleton is not overwritten by another mod?

Yes I made sure the skeleton isnt overwritten. No luck.

I have this problem too! (only Wood Elf)
it is not the skeleton, even after removing the skeleton came the CTD!
I introduced but firmly, that as long as my Wood Elf was clothed, there was no CTD.
first after remove the clothing, there was a crash.
I conducted another test, with a magic I undressed many female Wood Elf (nude) and and behold no CTDs.
I installed the new skeleton and made the test again, again no CTD with NPCs.
but again crashing with its own character.  :(

Sorry I couldn't be of more help :/  I must admit I'm stumped!  If all else fails, maybe do a vanilla install with patches, then maybe install your body replacer, skeleton and anything else required as well as FNIS and test it that way?  Have you also checked that you ran FNIS and if so where did you put your files?  I made the files FNIS made into a separate mod within Mod Organizer as well... if you've done all of the above just ignore me :P 

With the research I have been undergoing and trial & error, it has something to do with the skeleton and TBBP functions?

That makes absolutely no sense at all unless you have mods that give every race a unique body.

Do you have by chance mods that add racespecific Overlays,Tintmasks or Eye-textures?

With the research I have been undergoing and trial & error, it has something to do with the skeleton and TBBP functions?

That makes absolutely no sense at all unless you have mods that give every race a unique body.

Do you have by chance mods that add racespecific Overlays,Tintmasks or Eye-textures?

Only thing I can think of is Ethreal Elven Overhaul for elves. Other than that its just mods that add small things to the Race Menu such as body paints, Eyebrows and Hairs.

Update: I should inform that even when I use the savetool cleaner if I try to open the file with my wood elf save it crashes upon opening it.

Okay i either completely overlooked that or you edited it in later. The Savecleaner works fine in other circumstances? 

It only crahes when trying to open a woodelf-save? If yes does it also crash when you create a completely new fresh woodelf and open it?

Only thing I can think of is Ethreal Elven Overhaul for elves. Other than that its just mods that add small things to the Race Menu such as body paints, Eyebrows and Hairs.

Have you tried a save without EEO?  It is known for having compatibility issues.

Okay i either completely overlooked that or you edited it in later. The Savecleaner works fine in other circumstances? 

It only crahes when trying to open a woodelf-save? If yes does it also crash when you create a completely new fresh woodelf and open it?

Yes. The savecleaner only crashes with the file containing the wood elf. I just ran some more tests after a few tweaks and made another save after loading in my wood elf. I tried Winny's idea and saved with a roughspan tunic equipped and it loaded in just fine. I did another where she was nude and it appeared to load in fine again but I didn't tweak any mods yet in my menu. I could give it the benefit of the doubt and say it's just that save file? I will try a few more things and update shortly.

Update: I might have fixed my problem. I rearranged my load order for a few mods that tweak elven races (Ethereal Elven Overhaul) and a few racemenu compatibility patches that were suggested above. (I already had them installed but I rearranged them. Thank you for the suggestion.) I deleted that file that was CTD upon loading and made 2 new files with my wood elf. One with clothes on and one nude. So far there has been no crashes but I still need to tweak all my mods in game and save once more before I think I am in the clear. Fingers crossed!

Oh I should mention that Savecleaner tool does not crash on either files so it's looking more promising.

Update: Nope. Crashed again after setting up my mods in the game menu. I guess Skyrim and some mods are just racist to Wood Elves. :(

Update 2: Now it's doing it when I make Dark Elves. Now I am starting to get pissed.

• 7 months later...

Archived