IMPORTANT: Site Upgrade Coming on July 1st

It is old? It has a very old of site software that is no more maintained? Is stopping us to create a better one? We all love the current structure (and the bbCode) and layout. But this is limiting. I love my car!!! Why I cannot go faster than 50 MPh? (~ 80 KHr) --> Because your engine is shit, you need to upgrade it. And because you upgrade the engine, upgrade also the covers, and the sits, and the accessories. in this Analogy it is this,Why i Love my old Car! No GPS! No Multimedia/Spyware Center No Chips what saves where /when and how i drive PS: I use WIN XP its suited me well.the Nintendo OS( Win8) is ugly and not comfortable and win 10 are spyware³,ugly,and annoying with his Cloud Computing here,Cortana there. Rule #1 of Computing should appear here: NEVER CHANGE A RUNNING SYSTEM.

Peeps want bigger downloads and bigger files require the new forum software so options are...

1. Upgrade to give peeps bigger files as well as all the other good reasons for doing it that dont really have a direct impact on users

2. You hunt down every person that has ever asked for bigger files and convince them they are wrong :)

While option 2 sounds like a lot less work for everybody except you i dont think its really viable

It is old? It has a very old of site software that is no more maintained? Is stopping us to create a better one? We all love the current structure (and the bbCode) and layout. But this is limiting. I love my car!!! Why I cannot go faster than 50 MPh? (~ 80 KHr) --> Because your engine is shit, you need to upgrade it. And because you upgrade the engine, upgrade also the covers, and the sits, and the accessories. in this Analogy it is this,Why i Love my old Car! No GPS! No Multimedia/Spyware Center No Chips what saves where /when and how i drive PS: I use WIN XP its suited me well.the Nintendo OS( Win8) is ugly and not comfortable and win 10 are spyware³,ugly,and annoying with his Cloud Computing here,Cortana there. Rule #1 of Computing should appear here: NEVER CHANGE A RUNNING SYSTEM.

Peeps want bigger downloads and bigger files require the new forum software so options are...

1. Upgrade to give peeps bigger files as well as all the other good reasons for doing it that dont really have a direct impact on users

2. You hunt down every person that has ever asked for bigger files and convince them they are wrong :)

While option 2 sounds like a lot less work for everybody except you i dont think its really viable

Are you saying that you know we are getting bigger space to upload our files?

Are you saying that you know we are getting bigger space to upload our files?

It is an option.

The problem is marginally the site software, it is more a bandwidth problem.

But we should be OK now.

I don't think PHP7 is "production stable". 

But if you are sure that it is stable enough and (more importantly) there are no compatibility issues with the forum software it will be interesting to see what will happen. LL will be the first site I know of that uses it in production so I'm curious. This is not meant to be mean, I'm genuinely curious (as a RL PHP developer I can learn from this) :-)

I don't think PHP7 is "production stable". 

But if you are sure that it is stable enough and (more importantly) there are no compatibility issues with the forum software it will be interesting to see what will happen. LL will be the first site I know of that uses it in production so I'm curious. This is not meant to be mean, I'm genuinely curious (as a RL PHP developer I can learn from this) :-)

We will see in less than one week.

I cannot confirm it will be used. It was from a discussion with @Ashal.

What will happen to attached files? Will they still work? I don't think they were working last time.

So what about this question I asked, has it been ignored by staff? If it has, I only see two reasons for it:

1. It had an obvious answer thus the question was stupid, in which case I apologize, I don't know how site upgrades work.

2. The attached files are as good as gone and the staff didn't want to cause a panic.

Either way, I hope someone will answer eventually.

What will happen to attached files? Will they still work? I don't think they were working last time.

So what about this question I asked, has it been ignored by staff? If it has, I only see two reasons for it:

1. It had an obvious answer thus the question was stupid, in which case I apologize, I don't know how site upgrades work.

2. The attached files are as good as gone and the staff didn't want to cause a panic.

Here is your answer:

Attached files will work, after the full conversion process will be terminated. And this requires time. Read the schedule, and you will see that you may have to wait 3 days to have it completed.

Secondary answers.

1) Your question was not stupid, but we got experience after the last tentative, and this one will go smoother.

2) That is not true. Attached files are important.

Attachments should be fine.  I didn't lose any of them on the last conversion, forwards or backwards.

Attachments should be fine.  I didn't lose any of them on the last conversion, forwards or backwards.

That's great news, I hope everything goes smoothly!

Oh yes, this will end well. /sarcasm

Intentionally offensive comment aside, I do wish that it is more successful this time around. The site outages that happened during the old new LL was maddening, to say the least.

He's letting us know ahead of time and even the amount of time and what will be done (to a point)

Lets give him a chance to complete the task. He has done it once before and learned from the experience. This should make it easier and more effective to do it now. Personally if there are some issues even 6 days out .. I can understand this. I agree the previous attempt caused outages that is maddening. This time I am preparing myself. Doing my "thang" here and getting whatever I want to do done before then and then taking a vacation... LOL well sort of. Nothing important being done until 3 or 6 days etc afterwards and it is stated complete or at least mostly complete. Of course I dont' have major intensive stuff as some do here.

Guys don't be negative.

"The sky" will be "not falling down."

And also if it falls down, remember that you are in the Sky, not on Ground. So just enjoy, you will have no harm.

I liked the layout of the last upgrade. I hope it works out this time got my fingers crossed. The one thing that's constant is change and every forum I've been a member of has had to upgrade their forum software at some point.

"You hear that Mr. Anderson?... That is the sound of inevitability"...... ;)

Guest Electriq

Good luck with the site change, looking forward to it, I wasn't around when the s**t happened last time, but I heard about it, hopefully there will be no problems this time :)