Welcome to LoversLab
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

IMPORTANT: Site Upgrade Coming on July 1st

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
201 replies to this topic

ritualclarity

ritualclarity

Domo arigato misuta Robotto

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,218 posts

Normally the old adage of "never fuck with something that works" is true.....however, when your security is outdated and support dries up.....there is no choice in the matter.

Seriously, Ashal would only be doing this because it is necessary.  Stop and think how much work he is going to have to put in to make the move.  No one would take that on if it was just a shiny new coat of paint.   ;)

The software upgrade isn't a shiny new coat of pain I suspect it is an entire rework of the code from bottom up. Very different from what we have now considering how old it is. Also being so very different from the previous system... might mean that we won't have all the functionality we had up to now. Just like the previous change over there will be some time to adjust and we will just have to accept it. Hopefully in time he will be able to add on some of the features we know and love however I for one will forgo some of the features for a solid reliable, dependable and safe site to use.

Um......I think you misread my post.  Unless you just quoted it by mistake.  I was sarcastically stating that Ashal would "not" be taking it on if it was "just" a new shiny new coat of paint.  IE....it isn't.   ;)

Between the support and security, the upgrade is a must.  No real choice in the matter for the Boss.  I feel very sorry for the amount of work he is going to have to put in to make this happen.......and the amount of shit he is going to receive for doing something he really must.  Talk about a kick in the balls.   :-/

I was confirming that it wasn't a shiny new coat...  however re-reading the post I can see how you get that misunderstood. Edited it for more clarity. Thank for pointing that out.

AdBot

AdBot
  • Advert

genericlogin

genericlogin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

I remember that one of the problems with the upgrade last time was that it imposed a painfully hard on the eyes light text on dark background color screen. Hopefully this time the readable color scheme will still be available.

ritualclarity

ritualclarity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,218 posts

I remember that one of the problems with the upgrade last time was that it imposed a painfully hard on the eyes light text on dark background color screen. Hopefully this time the readable color scheme will still be available.

I am pretty sure that that can be worked out after the full roll out of the new software. Most forum software has a few theme that can be selected. Even now if you go to the bottom of the page (unless it changed recently) you can change the theme of the site.

Content Consumer

Content Consumer

I am here to Consume your Content!

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,809 posts

*snip*

I thought it was a joke. "Pain" instead of "paint."  :-/

Edited by CPU, 26 June 2016 - 05:29 PM.
Removed too many inner quotes

ritualclarity

ritualclarity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,218 posts

I thought it was a joke. "Pain" instead of "paint."  :-/

Hadn't noticed he said "pain" instead of "paint"... :blush: I have to get these big black peepers looked at. lol

Edited by CPU, 26 June 2016 - 05:29 PM.
Removed too many inner quotes

CPU

CPU

Addicted modder and helper

• Moderators
  • 7,655 posts

Please remember that this Announcement is to alert people of the future upgrade of the site.

You are welcome to express your concerns and your advises. (Or provide answers.)

But let keep this thread clean.

Thank you.

myuhinny

myuhinny

Mega Poster

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,098 posts

@ritualclarity

Don't forget the velcro it'll go great with the ductape bailing wire and bubble gum.

I had no problem with the dark background which was better then the bright white background that it first had the only thing I saw was the up and down the site suffered from hopefully this time it'll go better.

ritualclarity

ritualclarity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,218 posts

@ritualclarity

Don't forget the velcro it'll go great with the ductape bailing wire and bubble gum.

I had no problem with the dark background which was better then the bright white background that it first had the only thing I saw was the up and down the site suffered from hopefully this time it'll go better.

Based on the OP I believe Ashal has it under control now. He already knows what wen wrong before and how to address it. I do believe it will be much better this time. I agree the up and down was the worst part of the last upgrade process. I hope it is less of an issue this time.

One thing I might comment on is that we give Ashal a week or so to settle his work and get the site stable and functional before complaining about look or feel. Give him some time to get the site under control under the new software, allow some time to properly migrate the data etc.

I have a good feeling on this. Lets use this warning to get our work done on what we want to do for the next week or two and not wait until the day of the update to make massive changes and updates to thread/OPs and tutorials. etc.

Elf Prince

Elf Prince

Addicted to Eva

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,212 posts

All I can say is that I do not envy Ashal at all and wouldn't like to be in his shoes ;)

The burden he has is to overwhelming (for me) and there are some "wolfs" who are waiting to skin him alive if things goes wrong. But, we can help him by being patient and supportive. :)

DixiePig

DixiePig

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Good luck!

pinky6225

pinky6225

Supplier of the finest electromagnetic candy

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

It is old? It has a very old of site software that is no more maintained? Is stopping us to create a better one? We all love the current structure (and the bbCode) and layout. But this is limiting. I love my car!!! Why I cannot go faster than 50 MPh? (~ 80 KHr) --> Because your engine is shit, you need to upgrade it. And because you upgrade the engine, upgrade also the covers, and the sits, and the accessories. in this Analogy it is this,Why i Love my old Car! No GPS! No Multimedia/Spyware Center No Chips what saves where /when and how i drive PS: I use WIN XP its suited me well.the Nintendo OS( Win8) is ugly and not comfortable and win 10 are spyware³,ugly,and annoying with his Cloud Computing here,Cortana there. Rule #1 of Computing should appear here: NEVER CHANGE A RUNNING SYSTEM.

Peeps want bigger downloads and bigger files require the new forum software so options are...

1. Upgrade to give peeps bigger files as well as all the other good reasons for doing it that dont really have a direct impact on users

2. You hunt down every person that has ever asked for bigger files and convince them they are wrong :)

While option 2 sounds like a lot less work for everybody except you i dont think its really viable

ritualclarity

ritualclarity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,218 posts

It is old? It has a very old of site software that is no more maintained? Is stopping us to create a better one? We all love the current structure (and the bbCode) and layout. But this is limiting. I love my car!!! Why I cannot go faster than 50 MPh? (~ 80 KHr) --> Because your engine is shit, you need to upgrade it. And because you upgrade the engine, upgrade also the covers, and the sits, and the accessories. in this Analogy it is this,Why i Love my old Car! No GPS! No Multimedia/Spyware Center No Chips what saves where /when and how i drive PS: I use WIN XP its suited me well.the Nintendo OS( Win8) is ugly and not comfortable and win 10 are spyware³,ugly,and annoying with his Cloud Computing here,Cortana there. Rule #1 of Computing should appear here: NEVER CHANGE A RUNNING SYSTEM.

Peeps want bigger downloads and bigger files require the new forum software so options are...

1. Upgrade to give peeps bigger files as well as all the other good reasons for doing it that dont really have a direct impact on users

2. You hunt down every person that has ever asked for bigger files and convince them they are wrong :)

While option 2 sounds like a lot less work for everybody except you i dont think its really viable

Are you saying that you know we are getting bigger space to upload our files?

CPU

CPU

• Moderators
  • 7,655 posts

Are you saying that you know we are getting bigger space to upload our files?

It is an option.

The problem is marginally the site software, it is more a bandwidth problem.

But we should be OK now.

swmas

swmas

Mega Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

What will happen to attached files? Will they still work? I don't think they were working last time.

Dagren

Dagren

So fluffy

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts

New look? Can't wait.

if its even similar to the past one I am all in.

MadMansGun

MadMansGun

Amature Content Creator, Professional Dragon Breeder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

oh no, not again....

last time, any mods i updated or edited got there pictures deleted, and it was a real pain in dee ass to upload anything.

prinyo

prinyo

Mega Poster

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

PHP 7? 

Is this a requirement?

CPU

CPU

• Moderators
  • 7,655 posts

PHP 7? 

Is this a requirement?

Have a look: PHP 7 performance.

prinyo

prinyo

Mega Poster

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

I don't think PHP7 is "production stable". 

But if you are sure that it is stable enough and (more importantly) there are no compatibility issues with the forum software it will be interesting to see what will happen. LL will be the first site I know of that uses it in production so I'm curious. This is not meant to be mean, I'm genuinely curious (as a RL PHP developer I can learn from this) :-)

CPU

CPU

• Moderators
  • 7,655 posts

I don't think PHP7 is "production stable". 

But if you are sure that it is stable enough and (more importantly) there are no compatibility issues with the forum software it will be interesting to see what will happen. LL will be the first site I know of that uses it in production so I'm curious. This is not meant to be mean, I'm genuinely curious (as a RL PHP developer I can learn from this) :-)

We will see in less than one week.

I cannot confirm it will be used. It was from a discussion with Ashal.