Mass Effect Happy Ending extended into skyrim, thoughts?

taytryfenwyd

I have begun the long process of creating a fully functioning alternate start for Skyrim that brings two fandoms together. It is at the earliest stages of development so I'm hoping to have a beta released sometime around the end of summer at the earliest depending on how many issues I have creating the mod. Already running into a lot of limitations from the creating kit I will have to work around with exterior coding.

The mod itself is still working with basic frameworks and finding a way to incorporate the existing scenes from the MEHEM mod  is that that following the end of mass effect 3 (with the Mass Effect Happy Ending Mod- main difference is the scene where the Normandy crew rescues you) the Normandy makes an emergency mass relay jump in an attempt to escape the crucible's arc of destruction, as in the original ending the mass relay corridor is collapsing, with joker straining the Normandy more and more to escape the blast wave, the difference is, instead of crashing into some random jungle planet with several moons, the Normandy appears above Tamriel, with all of the ship's tech drive core, propulsion systems and all disabled. The Normandy crashes in Skyrim, just outside of Whiterun, utilizing the already existing Normandy crash site mod as well as the Mass Effect Companions mod to add several of the crew members, I am also searching for the Nav meshes to add the remainder of the Normandy's crew, or at least the remaining love interests to make everyone happy. Upon crashing into Skyrim (once again near Whiterun) the goal is to add a scene where your love interest from mass effect will pull you from the wreckage (This is one of the very difficult points, obviously for me to be able to figure out a save import from mass effect 3 similar to the way bio-ware connects the 3 games will require a PC save, the difficulty is the major differences in coding between Bethesda and Bioware, making some progress but not much) I'm also working on a way to make the saved character from mass effect 3 compatible with skyrim character meshes so you can have the same character for continuity purposes.

Your character will remain behind attempting to rescue the remaining survivors from the crash while the existing squad members will go to find supplies, everything was destroyed in the crash. A large imperial legion will happen across the crash and (lucky you) neither your weapons, omni tool or biotics if you have them will function in an apparent alternate universe, you will be jumped by these imperials and black out, waking up in the wagon where the vanilla start begins. There will be a few minor edits to the vanilla start, mainly the way Ralof and the Nokir will speak to you, rather than (you were caught trying to cross the border, same as us) (you were in that.. thing that fell from the sky near whiterun, weren't you?) etc.

Once again I'm still in the most basic stages of developing the mod, it is the most ambitious modding project I have ever undertaken, and one of the first I've looked to the modding community for suggestions or help. I would really like to see what fellow mass effect fans think of the story-line, before anyone whines about immersion, I'm trying to connect mass effect, where modding is difficult and the framework really just isn't there, to Skyrim where the possibilities are nearly limitless, not all that worried about immersion as much as a coherent and logical (by mass effect standards) mechanism to carry the two stories together. 

I have seen discussions on the forums about this being a cool idea before, but am just now getting to the level of modding experience required to even think about making this work, any help with hunting down nav meshes for the characters to be added, or voice files for the crew members would be greatly appreciated. Any feedback on the story-line or ideas for ways to make this work would also be appreciated.  This is a very ambitious product and will take me a while to get it working if i'm able to. 

I have begun the long process of creating a fully functioning alternate start for Skyrim that brings two fandoms together. It is at the earliest stages of development so I'm hoping to have a beta released sometime around the end of summer at the earliest depending on how many issues I have creating the mod. Already running into a lot of limitations from the creating kit I will have to work around with exterior coding.

The mod itself is still working with basic frameworks and finding a way to incorporate the existing scenes from the MEHEM mod  is that that following the end of mass effect 3 (with the Mass Effect Happy Ending Mod- main difference is the scene where the Normandy crew rescues you) the Normandy makes an emergency mass relay jump in an attempt to escape the crucible's arc of destruction, as in the original ending the mass relay corridor is collapsing, with joker straining the Normandy more and more to escape the blast wave, the difference is, instead of crashing into some random jungle planet with several moons, the Normandy appears above Tamriel, with all of the ship's tech drive core, propulsion systems and all disabled. The Normandy crashes in Skyrim, just outside of Whiterun, utilizing the already existing Normandy crash site mod as well as the Mass Effect Companions mod to add several of the crew members, I am also searching for the Nav meshes to add the remainder of the Normandy's crew, or at least the remaining love interests to make everyone happy. Upon crashing into Skyrim (once again near Whiterun) the goal is to add a scene where your love interest from mass effect will pull you from the wreckage (This is one of the very difficult points, obviously for me to be able to figure out a save import from mass effect 3 similar to the way bio-ware connects the 3 games will require a PC save, the difficulty is the major differences in coding between Bethesda and Bioware, making some progress but not much) I'm also working on a way to make the saved character from mass effect 3 compatible with skyrim character meshes so you can have the same character for continuity purposes.

Your character will remain behind attempting to rescue the remaining survivors from the crash while the existing squad members will go to find supplies, everything was destroyed in the crash. A large imperial legion will happen across the crash and (lucky you) neither your weapons, omni tool or biotics if you have them will function in an apparent alternate universe, you will be jumped by these imperials and black out, waking up in the wagon where the vanilla start begins. There will be a few minor edits to the vanilla start, mainly the way Ralof and the Nokir will speak to you, rather than (you were caught trying to cross the border, same as us) (you were in that.. thing that fell from the sky near whiterun, weren't you?) etc.

Once again I'm still in the most basic stages of developing the mod, it is the most ambitious modding project I have ever undertaken, and one of the first I've looked to the modding community for suggestions or help. I would really like to see what fellow mass effect fans think of the story-line, before anyone whines about immersion, I'm trying to connect mass effect, where modding is difficult and the framework really just isn't there, to Skyrim where the possibilities are nearly limitless, not all that worried about immersion as much as a coherent and logical (by mass effect standards) mechanism to carry the two stories together. 

I have seen discussions on the forums about this being a cool idea before, but am just now getting to the level of modding experience required to even think about making this work, any help with hunting down nav meshes for the characters to be added, or voice files for the crew members would be greatly appreciated. Any feedback on the story-line or ideas for ways to make this work would also be appreciated.  This is a very ambitious product and will take me a while to get it working if i'm able to. 

I personally love this idea, but as was said, Bioware will probably go gonzo if they catch wind of this.  A few things you could possibly do to protect yourself.  Don't try importing save data from ME3.  Any character models you use/make for the Normandy Crew make sure they are original and not imports from Bioware's game.  And do not import voice files.  If all of it is your own work I think you should be safe the same way fanfiction is safe.

An idea that might save you hours of coding.  Make the mod a plugin for Alternate Start - Live another Life.  Then you can set up the questions pertaining to the players version of Shepperd via the Mara statue.  This would have the added benefit of allowing ME3 players such as myself who deleted the game and their saves after beating it 12 ways to Sunday to play this mod.

you can simply create a mod directly on skyrim.

checking here for exempl , you can get all the normandy crew (garrus, shepard (male/female), liara, jack,etc.. and also get the crash site normady mod for skyrim. you can do your own weapons mod (not that hard and even pretty easy to do (pistol and rifle are easy to implent on skyrim. i also have create my own personal omniblade for skyrim)

doing the mod directly on skyrim is easy. using ME3 MEHEM video is also possible directly on skyrim. like its possible to implent video on events.

make a link from mass effect to skyrim is almost impossible, due to seperate way (skyrim steam - mass effect Origin)

Bioware will not kick your ass for trying to do that, as long you dont ask for money, like all company, they accept modding on game for preserve them to survive (specially now that andromeda is coming). MEHEM is one of the biggest exempl.

still if you succeed to do that, i can already say that someone else will do same with the witcher :D

it sound pretty ambitious and crazy. no idea if its really possible, but i think it is not possible. good luck with that

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE

I am making a lot of progress on the dialogue and piecing the mods I am using as resources together, Have created the basic alternate start plugin, currently working on extending the scene from the MEHEM mod to show the Normandy appearing over Tamriel and crashing near whiterun, the player character, Kaidan and Liara will all start with biotic spells from the "Mass Effect Biotic Spells" Mod, I have managed to contact Bioware and have obtained express permission to use their voice files and they actually like the idea of the mod as it should help hype up the Mass Effect Fanbase for Andromeda, they have even given me copies of the voice files and character meshes for all of the squad members and have offered some ideas for how to import the save game for purposes of relationships and player character mesh, I am debating whether or not to create an extension to the Vanilla games Fame and Infamy framework to make Paragon and Renegade scores, also on the agenda is improving the mass effect biotic spells mod to feel more like mass effect's mechanics. Overall making a lot of progress, the main difficulties are the extensive amount of coding to extend a CGI generated scene by approximately 5 minutes. Still not really sure when I will have a "completed" mod to release for bug testing, hoping to get most of the work done prior to going back to school near the end of august, but may be a while longer than that.

UPDATE

I am making a lot of progress on the dialogue and piecing the mods I am using as resources together, Have created the basic alternate start plugin, currently working on extending the scene from the MEHEM mod to show the Normandy appearing over Tamriel and crashing near whiterun, the player character, Kaidan and Liara will all start with biotic spells from the "Mass Effect Biotic Spells" Mod, I have managed to contact Bioware and have obtained express permission to use their voice files and they actually like the idea of the mod as it should help hype up the Mass Effect Fanbase for Andromeda, they have even given me copies of the voice files and character meshes for all of the squad members and have offered some ideas for how to import the save game for purposes of relationships and player character mesh, I am debating whether or not to create an extension to the Vanilla games Fame and Infamy framework to make Paragon and Renegade scores, also on the agenda is improving the mass effect biotic spells mod to feel more like mass effect's mechanics. Overall making a lot of progress, the main difficulties are the extensive amount of coding to extend a CGI generated scene by approximately 5 minutes. Still not really sure when I will have a "completed" mod to release for bug testing, hoping to get most of the work done prior to going back to school near the end of august, but may be a while longer than that.

UPDATE

I am also extending the number of crew members that have been added to skyrim, currently the "Mass Effect Companions Mod" offers Kaidan, Liara, James and some guy from a dlc in i think the second game as well as Miranda, I am working on using the character meshes I received from Bio-ware for Garrus, Ashley, Javik, Joker, EDI, Traynor, Doctor Chakwas, Steve, Tali, Wrex, Grunt, and using their voice-files to generate dialogue, mostly using MFVM's framework to create marriage and follower dialogue, but also dabbling in some additional Bioware style romance dialogue, It is a lot of work, but when I hopefully have a working relatively bug-free finished project it will be worth it.

Bioware has declined to make public comments on the project  until I get a working product.

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE

I have completed large portions of the mod, successfully implemented the scene from MEHEM  as a starting event with the mod installed, I decided it was far less immersive for my purposes in the mod to use the alternate start mod as a framework and with the mod installed the vanilla start is completely pushed back, so far there is a lot of scripting, so uninstalling the mod mid save will be highly unwise, but I don't see any issues with it corrupting the game installation arising. I have completed large portions of the extension to the MEHEM scene, am currently working to improve the video quality, CGI isn't my strongest suit.

My tweaked beginning will have the normandy crash near whiterun, where the survivors will go to find supplies, and you will stay behind to see if any are still in the wreckage, An imperial patrol will come to investigate the crash, and with your biotics and weapons not functioning, you will be caught off guard and knocked out and captured, waking up in the wagon on your way to helgen.

The part I am still having a lot of difficulty on is importing a save even for the character mesh purposes from the end of the ME3 game. I am considering something along the lines of a basic character creation bringing in some of the hairstyles and facial feature options from ME prior to the start of the scene, basically moving the character creation from "who are you" to prior to the scene. I am getting a bit of help from a friend of a friend who actually works for bioware and is familiar with some of the coding and methods used in the creation of the third game to try and create a bridge between the origin save transfer mechanism and the steam gamesave system, we are both pretty much stumped there though. Neither steam nor origin have responded to my request for permission/ basic assistance with understanding their coding, and the source code is clearly designed to prevent piracy and other copyright violations and is cryptic at best.

I have successfully implemented character meshes and voice files for followers for over half of the Normandy crew that survives to the end of the third game. The voice files have been tweaked to seamlessly carry out all of the vanilla follower and marriage dialogues, with some minor tweaks in language, they talk like the characters from ME not people from skyrim.

I've edited the base, fame / infamy system to paragon and renegade, and am working on adding a display to the talent screen. Though creating a full on ME style fame infamy system where every single decision or even some mistakes adds to one of the two scores and people talk to you differently is FAR too much work and i would never finish the mod, dont even ask.

I have made efforts to improve the currently existing Mass effect biotics spell mod, but creating combo detonations may be rather difficult, improving the FX is the main goal on that front.

Overall, I am still making progress, but I go back to college in 11 days and will have very very little time to work on the mod until mid december and there is still a LOT of work to do. I'm hoping to have the mod completed  with minor bugs to fix as reported sometime next year? it really depends on how many more brick walls I run into.

Hmmm, i don't really remember the fame system from ME and i'm not sure about the possibilities of SLSF (Sexlab Sexual fame), but maybe you can save at least some work by using it?

Since that would make Sexlab and SLSF a requirement, maybe just as a soft dependency for some things that would be too much work without it, and just a thought... no clue if it's actually helpful, but i hope so. 

Some things as i undestood: It doesn't provide to switch dialogue options, but to remove some if your fame is in an opposing direction. It doesn't provide comments by itself, but you can easily add some. It doesn't really have the "white knight vs badass" thing, more focused on "dominant vs submissive", but if that sounds intresting to you, i'm sure Versh would be willing to give some hints or even add something that would be useful.

• 5 months later...

Archived