can you add Fallout 3 mods to TOTW install?

I want talking about the abbreviations :-)

I was talking about "they just need to be compatible". What does that mean?

I installed TTW several days ago and I haven't investigated much how it works, so I kind of also want to know the answer to the OP question.

Can I go to Nexus and download a FO3 mod that, for example, adds objects to the FO3 locations and use it while using TTW? 

It's hard to generalize, but if you don't know something technical about mods I'd discourage you to simply take a mod from FO3 and install it on TTW, it wouldn't be bad to ask for informations first.

For example, if you have a body mesh for FO3, then you can use it on NV engine (so TTW) too. Same for skeletons and animations (but not viceversa)

But there are other cases that require a conversion. On TTW website there's a script and an explained procedure to convert a mod from FO3 to TTW, it is very simple to do.

However, if you never modded then it would be better if you ask for some advice to people there, because some other mods could require extra work.

For example, scripts in FO3 that use FOSE need to be recompiled with NVSE, you can do it only using the GECK.

and thanks :-) this really helps me. I was looking at a gun addition. 

If it's just gun addition it may work out of the box depending on how the modder set it up.  The worst case is you'll need to make new/edit formlists to include the weapon to drop tables/vendor availability and so on unless it's just added via the console.  Editing formlists is probably one of the best ways to learn how to mod, it's easy to move from that to then scripting.

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on the complexity and how much you are willing to learn.

Many simple mods may fail simply because the put an outfit in a box at a location and that location is no longer valid as its now a copy of the original location. The same goes for stuff given to NPC's.

The confusing answer is some of them will work.  Halstrom hits the nail on the head.

To explain a bit further...Some mods are looking for vanilla assets.  Tales uses, in some cases, it's own assets.  Be it locations, or NPCs.  It changes some things to meld FONV and FO3 to work together.  So some things will work and some things won't.  It's been a LONG time since I used Tales, so I can't remember exactly, but there are a handful of mods from 3 that will work...at least somewhat. 

Some will need you to do a little work, some actually have TTW compatibility patches, and some even already have been redone with TTW in mind.

On a side note...I wonder if they will ever try a Tale of 3 Wastelands...hah

• 5 weeks later...

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if some ambitious team re-created Fallout 4 in the FO3/NV engine and used the opportunity to completely re-write the script, eliminate the voiced protagonist, and bring back the skill/special checks of the older games - while also expanding greatly on the number of side and faction quests to provide more than just "go here, shoot this, return, recycle, reuse". Settlement building wouldn't even necessarily have to be scrapped, but the amount of effort it would take to re-implement it would be a colossal time and resource sink - and would just lead to many of the same problems it caused in the official FO4 release... the neglect of base content in favor of generic user-defined sandboxes.

Then once THAT was done, assuming Todd didn't have a mini-stroke and shut the project down in a fit of rage, see about working in Tale of 3 Wastelands. Might even get a chance to play it before Fallout VI's release.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if some ambitious team re-created Fallout 4 in the FO3/NV engine and used the opportunity to completely re-write the script, eliminate the voiced protagonist, and bring back the skill/special checks of the older games - while also expanding greatly on the number of side and faction quests to provide more than just "go here, shoot this, return, recycle, reuse". Settlement building wouldn't even necessarily have to be scrapped, but the amount of effort it would take to re-implement it would be a colossal time and resource sink - and would just lead to many of the same problems it caused in the official FO4 release... the neglect of base content in favor of generic user-defined sandboxes.

Then once THAT was done, assuming Todd didn't have a mini-stroke and shut the project down in a fit of rage, see about working in Tale of 3 Wastelands. Might even get a chance to play it before Fallout VI's release.

That's close to impossible, the amount of time and money needed to basically make a game would be tremendous/

Plus with how different the engine is for fallout 4 i doubt a TT(Three)W will come to light. 

That's close to impossible, the amount of time and money needed to basically make a game would be tremendous/

Plus with how different the engine is for fallout 4 i doubt a TT(Three)W will come to light.

Well, I didn't mean porting FO4 content to FO3/NV... I mean completely recreate the game from scratch in the FO3/NV engine, with the only use for FO4 being to serve as a template and concept art - meanwhile fixing what's been broken along the way with new content. Sort of the opposite of what the Skywind team is doing, except also restoring certain changed combat. You'd likely have to give up the new Power Armor system - but you'd also get rid of the perk chart and reintroduce skills and traits.

And yeah, I know it's close to impossible. But a guy can dream, right?

Archived