I really hate modding sometimes

RDKateran

Typically when it doesn't work.  Way back when I modified the old RCSS mod for FONV so it had key-bound activations for its night vision and cloaking.  I made sure to back up the modified .esp and its scripts.  And then comes the day where I need to use that modified .esp again, so I replace the original with it, load it up in FNVedit and the GECK to check... and the fucking thing has somehow reverted to the default, with ALL of my changes negated.

I barely remember how I fixed the damn thing up in the first place and now I need to do it all over again.  Yet if I back it up, how the hell would I know if it retains my modifications, if it can somehow revert back to the original version?  Bah.  Gives me conniptions.

I could use some help setting this back up, if any mentors would be so kind.

Stop using MO.  You don't need it to make or modify mods.

Use the Geck with NVSE:

"Scripts written with these new commands must be created via the G.E.C.K. after it is launched via nvse_loader. Open a command prompt window, navigate to your NV install direcory, and type "nvse_loader -editor". Alternately you can create a shortcut to nvse_loader.exe, open the properties window and add "-editor" to the Target field. The normal editor can open plugins with these extended scripts, but it cannot recompile them and will give errors if you try." 

The shortcut is the best method if you are doing a fair amount of modding.

I'm not a big FNV modder, but something like this may also help:  http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/41642/?

I know it's not necessary, I was mainly hoping to keep the directory clean and not need to clutter it up every time I needed to modify a plugin.  I do have PowerUp installed, but I don't know if it's working through the hook in MO.  But if I have to clutter it up, guess I'll have to clutter it up.

Why would they revert at all though?

I can be completely wrong of course, but I don't think it did. I'd be inclined in thinking it was some combination of bad luck.

Don't misunderstand me, I *love* MO for my Skyrim gameplay, it was the main solution for a stable Load Order and I only regret to not have used it before. But I let it stay away from modding. I wouldn't be surprised if all that witchery would lead me to dumb backup issues and I end up making a copy of the wrong unmodified ESP.

I wish such were the case.  This modded .esp was from before MO was even a thing, and after saving over the original, I copied it and put it elsewhere.  Now I come back to it and it's like I never touched the damn thing at all.

Archived