Privacy on Steam?

johnni

If I buy Skyrim via Steam, and then install mods, will other people with whom I'm friends on steam be able to see any of the mods I have installed? I am friends with relatives and coworkers on Steam and I don't want them to see that I'm installing sexy mods from here- it would be embarassing!

Doubt it, but don't want to speak too sure, as there's always potential security holes and one of them might expose the mods you're subscribed to on Steam Workshop. Probably not the case for locally installed mods, such as LL mods.

You will be safe. The only way they can know what mods you're using, is if they have your computer/HD or possibly by checking on mods you've subscribed to on and only on steam. The solution, don't use steam's horrible mod system.

When you "subscribe" to a mod on steam, i believe it adds you to a public list of people that subscribe to that mod which your friends can look at. However this only applies to mods gotten from steam(which you shouldn't do). There is no public list if you go to a 3rd party site like Lovers or Nexus and your friends can't see what mods are in your data folder.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The only danger is them being annoyed at you starting up Skyrim 40 times a day because you're testing mods and the message of you playing it keeps popping up.

Whenever this happens I always set my status to 'offline'. 

I usually do too.

Unless my only friend online is the one I enjoy bothering.

I have encountered different issue.
I bought Skyrim LE few years ago, but I have never instaled even played it. I have cracked wersion, mostly because i don't like launchers and steam file structure (steam/steamapps/...). Since then I haven't bought any other game until November when I bought F4.

A few weeks ago I noticed that Steam records how many hours I've played in Skyrim. Game is marked as not installed, no achievements are recorded just playing time.

How is it even posible?

PS: Sorry for my english.

• 1 month later...

Make soon three years i use mods now on Skyrim and i has never been annoyed by steam and no one can see your sexy modded skyrim excepted of course if you upload your screenshots.

I have encountered different issue.

I bought Skyrim LE few years ago, but I have never instaled even played it. I have cracked wersion, mostly because i don't like launchers and steam file structure (steam/steamapps/...). Since then I haven't bought any other game until November when I bought F4.

A few weeks ago I noticed that Steam records how many hours I've played in Skyrim. Game is marked as not installed, no achievements are recorded just playing time.

How is it even posible?

PS: Sorry for my english.

Steam DLL that is needed to start Skyrim

• 4 weeks later...

If I buy Skyrim via Steam, and then install mods, will other people with whom I'm friends on steam be able to see any of the mods I have installed? I am friends with relatives and coworkers on Steam and I don't want them to see that I'm installing sexy mods from here- it would be embarassing!

They can see your time played. But your load order is not visible.

HOWEVER. Do not upload a screenshot of anything embarrassing. They COULD see that IF they looked. So, don't hit confirm when prompted after you screen shot a picture of a woman with shitting dick nipples.

EDIT:

Someone also mentioned not subscribing in the steam workshop. Fuck that crap. Use MO if you aren't already, or are starting a new play-through. I migrated, and it was the best idea ever.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/1334/?

And a guide. I really don't think this violates any rules. Gamer poets has really been a boon to me when I first started using MO.

• 3 months later...

Well, I was just playing today, and a friend writes "careful you dont make your eyes bleed in skyrim there".

I instantly go to Steam Settings, open the 'Broadcasting' tab, and what do you know? Friends can watch my games. 

Did this friend see me gameplay? Dunno. Technically I should have gotten a request notification. The comment just seems like too much of a coincidence. So do yourselves a service, and be sure to disable broadcasting. Probably go offline for good measure. Avoid a bit of embarrassment. 

Archived