Conan Exiles -- Funcom Resurrected.

crusher

Smart developers

We have enough of those, what we lack is a brave one.

The brave ones are usually also the bancrupt ones, considering how important rating system etc are today, and how they can affect sales. Also it is easy to call for bravery if it isn't your job/money on the risk, and this game already looks not too profitable...but then, Age of Conan still exists, amazing actually...

However, this game here? I love the Conan-World, I played Age of Conan for a long time, and would wish for a new Conan-Game...but this looks not very interesting...even if single-player it looks...too much multiplayer still? Or am I missing something here?

For me a new Conan game would be a mature, adult (blood, gore, violence, some nudity, rest moddable) singleplayer-game in the tradition of Skyrim. Open world,temples to explore and plunder and kill the priesthood. Scantily clad guys and girls, brutal fighting and sinister magic...

A pity the Conan-IP is never used in that way...but the reason surely is hidden within my first sentence above ^^

The brave ones are usually also the bancrupt ones

Assuming you have a real example to support this claim, did they go bankrupt because they included sex in their game or because the game was bad without it anyway?

Also it is easy to call for bravery if it isn't your job/money on the risk

Game development has always that sort of risk, much like other businesses. If they want to minimize that risk, they can always choose a safer genre to produce games for.

I don't really think most game developers consciously "avoid" sex because they are cowardly and afraid of public anger or financial risk, well, maybe some of them. They mostly don't do it because they aren't really interested in that sort of thing, neither is their market, or they don't see the point, or they can't imagine a use for it in their game and so on. In other words, it's mostly lack of imagination and/or lack of libido. If they really want to do it but afraid of public reaction or low sales, they can always patch it in later, like some other games on Steam do. Be brave, and smart.

For me a new Conan game would be a mature, adult (blood, gore, violence, some nudity, rest moddable) singleplayer-game in the tradition of Skyrim. Open world,temples to explore and plunder and kill the priesthood. Scantily clad guys and girls, brutal fighting and sinister magic...

I mean that does basically describe what they intend for this game :) I'm sure you'll be able to play some form of single player, just like with Ark, I think it's been mentioned already that it will be on the same engine

No sorcery or any form of rituals besides summoning titans through religion? :C

Magic is coming later. They said there are other stuff involving rituals than just summoning titans, but didn't reveal it in their first livestream. The ritual stuff may be basic to begin with (I dunno), but if it is, I'm sure it'll be expanded on through development.

It WILL have singleplayer (like Ark), and WILL have modding (dunno what the modding will be like. I hope similar to Ark at least, Ark has some pretty good mods). I don't expect modding like Skyrim or other Bethesda games, but no other games (that I am aware of) have that evolved modding anyway AND as easy to mod as Bethesda games. Literally skyrim I can pop in a mod and play right away with no or little work. Maybe Sims? I see a lot of sim mods here on the forum. GTA 4/5 also has pretty good mods (like LSPDFR, that huge police mod), which LSPDFR is pretty easy to get going. Though a lot of GTA 5 mods require you to actually edit files and do weird stuff.

Anyway. Remember, early access/alpha, so a lot of things can be added. Early access really is just another form of kickstarter, except you can actually play the game instead of hoping you can one day play it.

Never cared for AOC because it was a generic MMO WOW clone.

Don't even know Conan The Barbarian other than the creator committed suicide.

What's so special about this survival multiplayer oriented game from all the others besides a CTB skin? What makes this one stand out?

Footage so far isn't promising.

Its Conan pretty much. If you don't like Conan, probably wouldn't like it. But that is true for anything. I don't like post-apocalypse games (mostly because they are mostly generic cliche wasteland junk. I'd play one if it was open world/sandbox, overgrown and plants/animals overtake cities. There was a game like that, but it wasn't open world). So since I'm not a fan of those kind of games, I don't play them or bother looking at them. At least till there is an open world one where earth has re-taken the cities humans have made :P

Otherwise, its rather similar to Ark (which Ark is awesome), pretty much the same, but Conan. But with a few twists, like magic that will be put in after early access is out. Really pretty much like Ark though. 

Also AOC wasn't really like WoW at all, totally different combat system and gameplay. It was more like Skyrim than WoW if it could be compared to any singleplayer again. So I don't think you actually played it, it sounds like you just don't like Conan. Unless you think following quest chains and doing dungeons is like WoW or something, but then that means Skyrim is like WoW :P

Also as an additional note. I actually didn't like AoC at all. After Tortage it sucked (which actually WAS like playing WoW, so maybe you didn't play after Tortage), played 6 hours after Tortage and quit. The game was super unfinished, no voice acting after Tortage and was a huge bait and switch. Tortage was by far best part of the game, but not worth the 60 I spent at the time lol

But I'll give you that Conan Exiles feels very similar to Ark, really it looks like a carbon-copy but with twists. Oh and unlike Ark, it has better customization, nudity, gore and more adult themes. So for me that makes it far better. Hey if I don't need to mod in nudity and its built into the game, that is a plus for me :P But gameplay wise, its literally Ark with a Conan skin and some twists. At least that is what I saw of it in the first stream. 

With that said. For those who haven't played Funcom games at release. Early alpha or not.

Their releases have so far been soooooo bad. Anarchy Online had a terrible launch. Same with AoC, but I just didn't like it (AO was awesome after a year though). Forgot The Secret World, I think it was a bit better than their other releases, but I only got it 2 months after launch.

But generally, Funcom doesn't make a nice release :P At least they can use the excuse of early alpha.

I like the torture, nudity, slavery aspects with thralls to have defenses and stuff. It just doesn't seem to do much from other survival games. I just don't like MMOs so AOC and every other isn't impressive to me. With this having singleplayer option I like that because I'm not fond of PVP. Never played Ark because of some sketchy moves by devs. With mod support in consideration though things could be really good for it too. Maybe LL will find itself growing another section under Adult Games just for CE.

I'll give it a shot-just as long as its not more than $30 during EA.

i've just watched the Dev diary video (where they couldn't get the sound working in game) and this looks quite good so far. I played 8 characters to top level in AoC just because there wasn't a lot to do at top level if you didn't want to raid, so id cap out a toon and start another class. I have always hoped for a Conan game that could be played meaningfully solo so this will be great if they deliver. I've played a little AO (in the very early days of that) and quite a bit of Secret World (another game where they seemed to be oblivious to solo players) though so i think sitting on the fence and being cautiously optimistic is the way to go for now. They said they are pitching it somewhere between Skyrim and Ark so we could be in for something cool. Fingers crossed  ;)

Well, the second dev stream wasn't half bad and they got the sound working this time, which is good. I wish the guy at the controls wasn't so fixated on first person play though. I would have liked to get a better look at the animations. Hopefully we'll get to see more third person in the future streams.  :D

Well, the second dev stream wasn't half bad and they got the sound working this time, which is good. I wish the guy at the controls wasn't so fixated on first person play though. I would have liked to get a better look at the animations. Hopefully we'll get to see more third person in the future streams.  :D

;)  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Tbh im starting to be kinda of worried that the whole game is going to be about nothing then building stuff and destroying it.

I can already see the amount of griefers forming just so they can fuck up other players buildings.

I guess offline play is the answer to that, though i hope there is more to this...hopefully there is going to be also some good old conan headbashing without having to worry every 30min about your town being attacked again.

Archived