Conan Exiles -- Funcom Resurrected.

crusher

Looks interesting -- private and public servers, with single player option. Using UnrealEd 4 engine there is potential for highly moddable experience, though no official announcement I've found. Will have to check newer version of UnrealEd, but I believe character animation is a built-in feature (for sexy modding, honestly best way to jin up a modding community is to start with -- sex n violence..). So, nudity, dismemberment, extremely robust melee combat; capture others and sacrifice to a god. Enslavement being a part of the R.E Howard universe, will probably also feature in game, though no announcement yet. No load screens, with an open-world area about twice as large skyrim on initial release. Sounds like the fundamental game-play to be less like AoC (WoW leveling treadmill), and more of a exploration, skill based experience -- Secret World. Kinda how 've mod skyrim; will mod F4.

Having played both Age of Conan and Anarchy Online, one thing Funcom does well is continued support and addons --- very large lands added, and feature rich content -- they commit heavily into an i.p. for several years.

Early access on steam this summer. Hopefully moddable; if so, may be worth investing some time with UnrealEd. 

edit, and they'll be using the original soundtrack from AoC, which next to Jeremy Soul's stuff is some of the best. 

Q an A

I've had my eye on this game for a couple of weeks, and it being Funcom they've proven they can at least nail down the lore/story aspect of Conan, though the gameplay of AoC wasn't exactly everyone's cup of tea. I plan on buying it as soon as it's playable one way or another, been on a bit of a survival game kick lately and have always loved Conan, even though I've barely read any of the books/comics.

Hoping Funcom uses this UE4 demo for quality standard benchmark, a good reference:

Unfortunately, also being a console product, they'll have to undo a lot of that incredible procedural quality. Something modders could just add back were modding available for Conan Exiles. 

Other interesting features of UE4, blended animations:

There is a recently published compilation (chronological) of R.E Howard's work, a trilogy for Conan; also available in audio books, w/ good reader, from amazon's audible.com. Conan's theme based on an 18th century philosopher's opinion that societies always devolve into barbarism -- barbarism, high forms (political) and low forms (base survival). TES is a cushy, pillowy re-tread of RE Howard's stuff, the grand-daddy of high fantasy, he and maybe Lovecraft are the founders of the fantasy genre.  

The Conan Universe is more in line with mature gaming content; uncensored, brutal, sexual, unforgiving, tough choices; loaded with great storytelling, mythology, adventure, love stories; based on the celtic warriors that ruled/raided most of Europe during the decline of Rome and Greece. You can extrapolate from Howard's work, (I have, on Funcom forum) that nudity was extremely commonplace, where genitals were as viewable as your ears, nose and eyes -- no modesty taboos/dogmas that we suffer today. Currently reading a book called the Celtic Warriors -- historic docs suggest they were very sexually free -- crossing both ways without inhibition, records of orgies, likewise bafflement that someone couldn't be interested in participating regularly. The art, mostly sculpture from that period shows celtic warriors wearing absolutely nothing but a rope belt around waist, sometimes a cape and helmet -- their genital being feature prominently in every statue -- very non-traditional culture, they didn't wear clothes. 

Were funcom to go full-frontal, they'd move the industry -- a wave big enough to put them back on the map. Remember when Arnold Schwarzenegger is first viewed walking towards the camera in Terminator, fully nude? This should be the opening scene of Conan Exiles. One story begins with Conan crucified, struggling to get free -- this the likely event that kicks off the game; doubt he'd be wearing anything having just been nailed to a cross. I doubt Christ was wearing anything when nailed up ...

It will be coming to PC first though, which means the PC version will be developed first rather than the other way around, which means we could get a proper PC version. Keep the hope alive! It wouldn't be the first time a PC version of a game completely outshone the console port in every aspect.

• 5 months later...

Please have single player and third person cam. Also its interesting how it looks like a fleshed out Ark.

There is a single player and from the vids i seen there seems to be third person cam too (atleast i hope).

Looks pretty good, i wonder if there will be a character creation with gender option.

Please have single player and third person cam. Also its interesting how it looks like a fleshed out Ark.

There is a single player and from the vids i seen there seems to be third person cam too (atleast i hope).

Looks pretty good, i wonder if there will be a character creation with gender option.

There is, its on the site:

1b0b05_7be9b2e7ca9d43a784b59391c77802ea~

There is, its on the site:

1b0b05_7be9b2e7ca9d43a784b59391c77802ea~

Awesome!

Nothing better like playing a kickass lady :P

• 2 weeks later...

So nudity, slavery, human sacrifice, lots of blood and killing, maybe some torture but don't worry guys no sex that would be just disgusting right? ..............the world we live in is just one giant ironic joke.

They probably just didnt seen sex adding anything of value to the game (not that i dont agree with you) and since i doubt the game will focus on deeper relationships i can see why they wouldnt bother.

And then as you said we have the hypocrite society.

Perhaps later they could add something...would be cool having the ability to raise your family and trying to make them survive in conans harsh world.

More info: 

Some nice thrall/slave features revealed. Hopefully, modding allows addition and removal of features that do/don't jive with mature gameplay. Apparently the game's core is centering around levels and stat grind (not server optional); which is typically not great for sandbox survival; when compared to a more "dynamic" survival modded Skyrim and Fallout. Hopefully leveled stats can be modded to reflect more realistic/simulated gameplay vs the planned MMO styled M.U.D (stat-centric adventure) they've decided to follow. 

They may say NOW that the levels will play a key aspect, but that could easily change since the game is so early in development based on player feedback, if nothing else I'm sure they'll allow you to tweak the XP rates like Ark does, the only server I play on has them modded to the point you can effectively level cap in a few hours (the official TwitchRP server)

So nudity, slavery, human sacrifice, lots of blood and killing, maybe some torture but don't worry guys no sex that would be just disgusting right? ..............the world we live in is just one giant ironic joke.

They probably just didnt seen sex adding anything of value to the game (not that i dont agree with you) and since i doubt the game will focus on deeper relationships i can see why they wouldnt bother.

Perhaps later they could add something...would be cool having the ability to raise your family and trying to make them survive in conans harsh world.

They could have just had you hire npcs, slavery is not a required feature its purely atmospheric. That said, for a main stream game company its already pushing things(people are criticizing them for adding slavery elsewhere) so I did not mean to criticize the game or developers just to point out the irony of society that we live in.

They could have just had you hire npcs, slavery is not a required feature its purely atmospheric. That said, for a main stream game company its already pushing things(people are criticizing them for adding slavery elsewhere) so I did not mean to criticize the game or developers just to point out the irony of society that we live in.

Yeah i understand that, but they had to be aware what they got themselfs into, shitstorm is bound to happen at one point...especialy if they want to come close to what conans worlds is.

Though i agree there could be an option to hire npcs besides slavery, or helping slaves to escape, then let them join you.

Or they could enslave you, i can already see the glorious sexlab oportunities B)

@crusher

Hmm the enslavement looks wierd though, i would prefer them walking slowly in chains rather then draging them arround like a sack of rice, would be more realistic, but that can still change.

Wimpy developers who are afraid of what the public might say if they included sex in their games mustn't develop Conan games... unless they want to unleash the wrath of Crom upon their asses!

*reads Bjornks comment imagining Arnold Schwarzeneggers voice*

Authentic :lol:

I'm pretty interested in the game, mainly because the focus on melee combat will probably fix a lot of issues other multiplayer survival games have right now, namely the kill on sight mentality thanks to guns. PvP in games like Rust, DayZ or Ark and many others revolve around camping somewhere and shooting people on long range before there's any chance they might see you. Those games also lack any threat coming from the PvE, which Exiles might also fix because you have to delve into dungeons and defend against invading NPC armies.

And last but not least, Funcom usually makes good games - eventually. Release versions are often broken, but not beyond repair. A year or two after their initial release they manage to get it right, I had a lot of fun with Age of Conan and The Secret World. So the steam early access deal might be just right for them - but I am concerned about the seemingly shallow combat system and about how much of the game will actually be there in the first EA release version. Religion and throwing weapons for example will not be there when the game launches and instead will be added over time, which begs the question if it is worth to buy it on day one. If invading NPCs and dungeons aren't in, I probably won't buy it.

Archived