Neck

I have tried vanilla and different texture mods, but either way there are these weird black particles around the neck where a neck seam should be. Does anyone know what is causing this or how to fix it?

Thank you in advance. If I need to post a picture, I will.

What are those black and white particles? They are worse when the toon is moving around. And why do I have a weird neck seam with the vanilla head with no textures? I have uninstalled all of my texture mods and ENB. I am using the UNP body and vanilla head mesh. The only thing I can think of is ELFX, but I have had it before and it didn't cause this problem. skyrim_5_28_2016_10_18_57_pm_by_moon_sca

Regard everything previously. Can someone please try this in their Skyrim: (using UNP body)

https://mega.nz/#!SdJG2QaD!D8Qbu9kADaJTfaIN5X3cfSBJrKIFo2u9fkgA2gEJlEQ- Tetro custom textures: manually install after Mature Skin

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/32986/? - HD Young version with no scars or blemishes

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/24273/? - Elven Overhaul

If anyone could please test this out without using a lighting mod or ENB, let me know if there is a neck seam. I have tried everything I can think of and there's still a neck seam. I previously had it working without a neck seam, but I don't remember what I changed or did. If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it!

Several things can cause a neck seam.  You need to isolate the cause by addressing/testing them individually, not by installing packs of textures:

1.  Insure the head and body meshes are using the same, correct settings for model space normals.  BSNumUVSets=1, HasNormals=no

33aae643a7.png

"HasNormals" refers to tangent space normals.  Skyrim uses model space normal maps (_msn) for body part meshes that display skin textures.  If you are using default UNP from the UNP mod page, these values are incorrect on the body mesh.

2.  Some versions of the 6622-vertex UNP body (TBBP, HDT, etc.) that have been released have different vertex weights at the neck, causing a visible seam during animations (including idle animations).

3.  There are four types of textures used on characters.  A mismatch of any one of them will cause a seam, so you should replace only one type of texture at a time to try to identify which is contributing most to the visible seam/mismatch.  These types are diffuse (_d), normal (_msn), specular (_s) and subsurface (_sk).

4.  Check FixTintGamma setting in enblocal if using an ENB.  Changing this value may have a visible effect.

I tried SG textures and there's no neck seam, so I don't think it's the meshes.

I have checked each individual texture and it seems that the .msn is causing the problem. I have tried a gradient overlay in photoshop, but it doesn't change a thing.

UNP Texture Blender and UNPCM by halofarm both include neck seam resources (png) that you can overlay on top of your head and body normal maps.  They will effectively replace that region of the normal map with a blurred, neutral texture that blends seamlessly from one mesh to the other.  Make sure you save your character normal maps in RGB888 uncompressed format.  Don't use DXT compression for character normal maps - compression artifacts are very visible on model space normals.

UNP Texture Blender and UNPCM by halofarm both include neck seam resources (png) that you can overlay on top of your head and body normal maps.  They will effectively replace that region of the normal map with a blurred, neutral texture that blends seamlessly from one mesh to the other.  Make sure you save your character normal maps in RGB888 uncompressed format.  Don't use DXT compression for character normal maps - compression artifacts are very visible on model space normals.

Ok I tried Halo's thing in photoshop, but it's still not working. What if I said that instead of a neck seam, the head is a different color than the body. It's darker. Do you know what map to edit next? I am not using any ENB or lighting mod. It's pure vanilla lighting. I also tried setting the head and body to the same settings in Nifskope. Do you want me to list the mods I am using or would that not make a difference?

If you provide a link to your head and body normal maps along with your head and body meshes (_0 and _1 for body), either here or in a PM, I'll take a look.

I'm just using the vanilla head and Main UNP Body

Here's the female folder of the textures I am using. I did a fresh install, so they aren't edited or anything. I greatly appreciate your help.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/rj5jb961jjh66/female

If you provide a link to your head and body normal maps along with your head and body meshes (_0 and _1 for body), either here or in a PM, I'll take a look.

I'm just using the vanilla head and Main UNP Body

Here's the female folder of the textures I am using. I did a fresh install, so they aren't edited or anything. I greatly appreciate your help.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/rj5jb961jjh66/female

File sent via PM.

Thank you for the help, but unfortunately it didn't help. I suppose I'll have to resort to different textures. I appreciate your help though!

Archived