Construction Set does not work

Oblivion and CS worked well for many years....but now I bought two Hard drives. A SSD for Windows and a normal 2TB for games and modding.

All other things are old.

Windows 7 Home Premium.

Asus mainboard P8P67

Radeon 5770

two old 500 GB Hard drives.

Windows installed on the SSD ( also the directx_Jun2010_redist for all the old directx dll files )

My old Oblivion folder copied from old hard drive to new 2TB hard drive. Installed oblivion, SI, Patch v1.2.0416.

Oblivion works fine.

The CS I can start, I can load a esp or esm and then after 1 to 4 seconds I get the windows messange Program must be closed; OK or search online for a solution.

It loads the esp/esm to 100 %. No crash or error during load. When finished loading I wait 1 to 4 seconds ( no button pressed ) and the Windows error message pops up.

details

Problemsignatur:
  Problemereignisname:    BEX
  Anwendungsname:    TESConstructionSet.exe
  Anwendungsversion:    1.2.0.404
  Anwendungszeitstempel:    461430cf
  Fehlermodulname:    TESConstructionSet.exe
  Fehlermodulversion:    1.2.0.404
  Fehlermodulzeitstempel:    461430cf
  Ausnahmeoffset:    0048ca13
  Ausnahmecode:    c000000d
  Ausnahmedaten:    00000000
  Betriebsystemversion:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Gebietsschema-ID:    1031
  Zusatzinformation 1:    5d9a
  Zusatzinformation 2:    5d9a5cc883d1214055e1079d9d8cf5c3
  Zusatzinformation 3:    2e80
  Zusatzinformation 4:    2e8007e28cc2d06d3543c7d652976a61

I tried many things.

Oblivion new installation. ( NO Steam ! I have Oblivion CD versions. ( Oblivion, SI and NotN ) Not the GotY version )

Only Oblivion and Patch 1.2.0416 and CS 1.2.404  ( no OBSE , no other tools and Mods or CSE )

Oblivion and SI and Patch and CS

Oblivion patched, then SI and Patch , then CS

The same with only Oblivion with SI and Patch, CS+CSE51 and OBSE.

Always uninstalled, delete INI ( Oblivion and CS ) and made registry cleaning.

Installed "normal" and as Administrator.

Started form exe or desktop shortcut, starded as Administrator or not.

Installed old graphic card drivers ( the one I used in my old Windows installation )

WHY ?

Only a new hard drive. Nothing else has changed...

Is it a SSD problem ?

I don't think so. My whole oblivion including CSE is on SSD. and they've worked just fine for many years. Have you tried csE, not just cs?

Also this may help perhaps. It's a bit weird that you can't run CS on windows 7 but anyways...

The BEX error may be indicating that your windows is playing dick on some program. Go to control panel, system, advanced system settings. Switch to the advanced tab. Go to performance settings, go to DEP. If your processor is newer than mine (mine doesn't seem to be supporting hardware DEP), perhaps it is set to execute DEP to everything. Add CS to the exception list... or change it so that it would apply only to the essential stuff. DEP is kind of security related, so normally it's supposed to help you...

Do you still have the old copies of your Oblivion folder on the old hard drive? What did you use to copy them? 

I prefer cloning vs. copy when moving large folders that contain lots of files and data, and for that I use the free version of Macrium Reflect. I just don't trust Windows copy when it comes to large data, and I'm also using Win7 Ultimate 64-bit. (You could have used this to also make a clone of your old Windows install to your new SSD drive too. Saves me a lot of time since I don't have to DL and install all of the updates all over again.)

I recently used a combination of the above program and EaseUS Partition Master Home Edition to clone an entire partition on C: to a new and larger A: drive, then reclaim that space on C: for Windows and other apps I install on C:. Only thing I had to do was change the various link icons properties to point to A: instead of C:.

Dumb question but have you checked the switch settings in the link icon properties? Mine looks like this: E:\Games\Oblivion\obse_loader.exe -editor -oldinject and I believe I am using the same CS/E as you; 5.1.

Are you using Win7 32-bit or 64-bit? I find most Oblivion related exe's run better in Win XP mode due I think to older memory mapping.

Problem solved.

Today a friend helped me.

Two weeks ago I installed Windows 64Bit on the SSD . I still have the old windows on the normal HDD so I could boot one or the other. During the week I installed all the small programs to the new windows ( x-reader, 7-zip, players, firefox,....) and then I installed Oblivion.

First I copied my old Oblivion folder ( yes I still have my old folder) and Oblivion worked fine ( with OBSE and all other tools) Only the CSE51 did not work.

The 2 TB HDD I splitted in two partitions ( D and E . Oblivion on E. E:\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\  )

New CS and OBSE and CSE installation....still not working.....I tried and tried...till I only installed original game, patch and CS...still not working. Also added CS to the exception list like movomo said.

Today 3 new Windows installations, first on the SSD (CS did not work)  , then on a normal HDD only base Windows installation, no Win updates, and only Graphics and chip drivers, but we used another Windows DVD ! CS worked ! :)

New SSD Win installation...step by step Graphics and chip drivers (CS works)  , then sound drivers (CS works) , then AVG before search all the Windows updates...( CS did not work)  :@  It was the fucking AVG. During the last years no problem with AVG and Oblivion CS. Have AVG changed something in the past 2 weeks? With my old Windows 7 installation all was fine. Now I had to put the CS to the AVG exception list ( was not necessary with my old Win 7 installation.  And my Win7 DVD is not broken )

Fuck AVG !

Thanks for the help.

Yeah I can mod again !

Yes, some AVG update changed something. I had similar issues with AVG recently. I use the newest CSE,but it caused issues with a few other programs I have too. Never did that stuff before. Got rid of AVG, and all my problems stopped. Currently just using the windows defender (I have win 8.1), but will be looking at better antivirus. Maybe PandaCloud. I used to use that.

I gave up on all the other anti-virus providers as they seem to constantly be fucking with my gaming.  Constantly.  I just use defender with my 8.1 like Comrae Fienyx states above.  Then periodically scan with malware-bytes.  Zero issues.

Yeah, same experience with Avast Pro Antivirus. You now have to use their uninstaller to remove everything they install. Otherwise you're left with a PC that can't even connect to the internet. They're beginning to remind of the Norton and McAfee days; a pain in the arse to setup and use, a total bear to disable and remove.

It now has the same, we'll call it a feature as AVG. You have to add certain EXE's to an exception list. I dunno, I just feel it should be easier somehow, like if I install the f'in program as admin it should be designed smart enough to automatically add those programs to the exception list, or at least use a pop-up and ask me. No?

• 3 months later...

I have a problem with the CS.  It's not as extreme as Fejeena's, but this problem could be deal breaking if I can't fix it.  I can do pretty everything with the CS you can do.  The problem is, on character files, when you try to render the face, nothing happens.  Click a different tab and back to the face, and the CS will crash.  I added the CS and CK to the AVG exception list, but that did nothing.  This will make things really hard if I want to transfer face slider work to an NPC.  I do use Win 7 Home Premium with service pack 1.  I have it installed on a 2TB hard drive so I have room for mods and stuff.  I also have 16GBs of ram on a 64 bit system with a multi-threaded 8 core processor.  This computer is just a few months old!  How do I make the CS usable again??

I also used many years the original CS started with OBSE, it worked fine but frequent crashes.

Try CSE 51 , only requirements: OBSE20+ and .NET Framework ( the 60 and70 CSE versions have more requirements)

Easy to install, more stable.

See my yellow Link how to use with OBSE21.

--------------

Your crashes.

Have you changes your Oblivion ini?

Face gen entries to prevent seams, shadows or aging maps.  Maybe one of the changes blocks the face rendering in CS.  Just a guess.

Archived