Good news about the file size limit

prinyo

There is a post on the Patreon supporters thread from yesterday about the 100MB size limit for the mods and the possibility for the limit to be updated to allow for bigger files.

The official answer from "LoversLab" (Ashal) is:

"It's a technical limitation for now. Will most likely up the limit whenever I attempt to migrate the forums to the new version of IPB again."

P.S. If you are a supporter and you are in favor of upping the limit I encourage you to say "Thanks!" to Ashal in the thread on Patreon.

(click on the link "Help Suppor LoversLab" on the top of this page and then click "Patron Posts")

P.P.S. I wanted to post this to the relevant thread from yesterday but I was surprised to see it is locked(!). I don't understand why - I can't think of a rule the thread or any of the posts in it are breaking. Innocent threads been locked sends confusing signals to the users leaving them guess what they did wrong.  So I had to make a new one. This is an official response to a problem that many users have and I believe it is good to share it.

Please be aware that we upgrade the server to version 4 of IPB last November, and then we reverted to IPB V3 because we had too many problems.

One day it will happen, but for sure do not expect that in a couple of days.

I'm aware of that. I'm also aware that he says "most likely".
However comparing this to "not gonna happen" which was the best we had until now I think it is good news :-)

Also that is the reason I encourage the supporters to say "Thanks". The size limit is simply a setting (in IPB and PHP) so it would take 5 minutes to change it even with this version of IPB.

The way to make this happen sooner than way later is if the supporters community give the idea some love. 

Also there are many ways for the site itself to receive different kinds of community support. I for one am ready to provide any help neede in the Apache/PHP area. And if there is a nice distributed system available that somebody knows about and can be used I'm ready to donate about 1TB of server space and unlimited traffic on a server in Europe.

Please be aware that we upgrade the server to version 4 of IPB last November, and then we reverted to IPB V3 because we had too many problems.

Stability was the main reason as i recall as the site was up and down like a good set of bed springs, there was also useability issues as simple stuff (checking whole skyrim category by most recent wasn't possible which is the easiest way to see if a mod has been updated for example) we took for granted was no longer possible/only possible after ashal hacked stuff

To be fair in hindsight i did find quite a lot of the "LL has changed, the end times are here" kinda amusing so it might be worth it just for that ;)

Stability was the main reason as i recall as the site was up and down like a good set of bed springs, there was also useability issues as simple stuff (checking whole skyrim category by most recent wasn't possible which is the easiest way to see if a mod has been updated for example) we took for granted was no longer possible/only possible after ashal hacked stuff

To be fair in hindsight i did find quite a lot of the "LL has changed, the end times are here" kinda amusing so it might be worth it just for that ;)

I'm not aware of what was happening behind the scenes but looking at it it seemed like the server was struggling to cope with reindexing the whole database while still serving the high volume of user requests. This is a Paragraph 22 situation and the fact is there is no easy solution. Probably a scheduled and announced in advance mid-week downtime for upgrade is the best. And as there are quite a lot of tech people here in that time we can try to provide some support (PHP, Apache, Linux) in the LL IRC chatroom for example. 

I would like to reference the first sentence on the signature of @DoctaSax:

Support LoversLab: Figure it out first, then throw the boss some cash already  ;)

Let's try to reach the $ 2000 milestone.

And yes, I am a "supporter" too.

I think the boss should add some higher options. 1/3 of the supporters are already at the highest possible mark. Adding $15 and $20 (with the same benefits as $10) seems a good idea.

For me personally this site provides way more "value" as the PR people would say than many others. Information, advice, entertainment, encouragement (sometimes even "hand-holding" when I feel really confused about something :-) ). I'm really thankful to many users here (including you, even if I have annoyed you a bit in the past few days) and I'm really thankful that the site exists as a platform that makes this possible. I'm sure other people feel the same.

Technically you can give the amount you want.

There is no cap on it. I can confirm.

Be aware that until $99/mo you will send money at the end of the month.

Starting from $100/mo, you will send the money right away.

Technically you can give the amount you want.

There is no cap on it. I can confirm.

Be aware that until $99/mo you will send money at the end of the month.

Starting from $100/mo, you will send the money right away.

I don't see a way to do that. Can you give some details?

Edit. 

Found it. The amount in the confirmation screen is actually an input box. Still I think if there is a 15 and 20 options listed more people will choose them.

• 1 month later...

100mb? Wow, I never noticed, but I can imagine it was quite the nuisance for some modders. Curious to see wether "size matters", as in, what great mods we'll have with upped limits...

The obvious ways "around" this are to split files to be less than 100mb per file.  Since there is no limit on the number of files, then you can upload until your fingers bleed.

Another way, which many have done, is to simply host the file elsewhere and put the link here.  Mega and 4shared are just a few of these options.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived