50kb avatar limit

SensualLust

Everything takes up both bandwidth and server space, both of which cost money.  Small avatars and signatures are just part of what it takes to keep the site up and running.

gdqDIxb.png?1

cant you do something like this and load 1 image instead of many?

Does any one think this is a bit excessive? It is very hard for me to downscale an image to that size.

Couldn't be easier:

1. Get XnView (free).

2. Get an image.

3. Cut out a square part of the image.

4. Resize down to, say, 256x256.

5. Save as JPEG at 90% quality with default sub sampling factor.

6. Done.

I think each user should be allocated a certain amount of file size for their profile. I'm not interested in a flashy sig filled with images so really i'm not taking up much room, just my tiny avatar.

Avatar size is limited by IBS, the software used to run this site.

And also in version 4.1 (latest, we still use V3) there is no real change on the size of avatars.

And each user can store files without limits, the only restriction (for now) is max 100Mb for each file. And some limits on the PM, that is still pretty huge for normal users.

Avatar size is limited by IBS, the software used to run this site.

And also in version 4.1 (latest, we still use V3) there is no real change on the size of avatars.

And each user can store files without limits, the only restriction (for now) is max 100Mb for each file. And some limits on the PM, that is still pretty huge for normal users.

I was literally about to ask about the inconsistency on allowed data elseware compared to avatars, thanks for that answer :D

50kb is sufficient for the automatic size reduction of the avatar in both profile and threads to recognize yourself or the stuff of your liking. The mine is a png of 48kb, a usually used jpg would have a mere 24kb. Get the impression as if a larger size is requested by folks that might want to introduce animated gifs, huh? Hope that such an irritating crap will never happen on LL.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ye, 50kb is way too low. Its 2k16 ffs. 200-250 would be way better imo.

(25kb) * (average estimated 25 pages) * (1000 users) = 625000kb = 625Mb

(50kb) * (average estimated 25 pages) * (1000 users) = 1250000kb = 1.25Gb

(200kb) * (average estimated 25 pages) * (1000 users) = 5000000kb = 5Gb

(250kb) * (average estimated 25 pages) * (1000 users) = 6250000kb = 6.25Gb

its just a shitty avatar, not worth it imo.

1.open image in MSpaint

2.click rezize 

3.click pixels disable keep aspect ratio

4.set image to 94x94 pixels ok.

6.save as .jpg, no need for .png since its a small image the jpg format keeps it a small size better for the website.

5.Done.

Enable higher res avatar for members with X post count or for supporters

Is that really necessary though?

The avatar is really small, i don't know if you'll even be able to see the difference.

No, it isn't. Can't get rid of the smell of animated gifs though.

My avatar image is a 50kb png in the profile, the bmp version needs five times more and nobody can tell the difference at a 140 pixel image size in the profile, base of the avatar size in the forums, so what. The whole thread is just that - ridiculous.

Enable higher res avatar for members with X post count or for supporters

Is that really necessary though?

The avatar is really small, i don't know if you'll even be able to see the difference.

No, it isn't. Can't get rid of the smell of animated gifs though.

My avatar image is a 50kb png in the profile, the bmp version needs five times more and nobody can tell the difference at a 140 pixel image size in the profile, base of the avatar size in the forums, so what. The whole thread is just that - ridiculous.

My thoughts exactly.

Archived