Questions about death alternative and its sexlab add-ons

Hello everybody,

Thanks to the amazing work of the modders on skyrim, I have been enjoying playing vulnerable female characters. Basically, any mod that allow me to part with the "dragonborn hero of destiny that can't fail" is awesome for me !

Lately I have been toying with the "Death alternative mod" and its sexlab add-ons. On top of the regular mod I use "Sanguine Debauchery", "defeat", "maria eden" and "slaverun" (not sure if it is the right name, it's the one that turns whiterun into a slaver's city).

While these mods seem to work fine together so far (been having problems with slaverun because I think it uses CBBE assets from zaz and I have UNP TBBT required for playing with "being female", probably my fault but too lazy to fix it), I was wondering about the perfect way to set up these mods with MCM.

Death Alternative is complicated to understand, and since SD and defeat also change the death mechanism, it only make setting up the mods to work together even more complicated. Outside of some occasional CTD on "death", defeat seems to be activating randomely, sometimes over the bleedout mechanism of "death alternative". I also don't really understand how the chances for every event is calculated on death alternative. I tried tinkering with it but it seems 90% of the "deaths" will result in a sexlab scenario excluding the basic ones.

So yeah, here is my question: do you have any tips, advice, experience to share about setting up these mods in order to have the best possible playthrough ?

And another question: does having these mods also make combat considerably harder ? I am playing with a bunch of other mods that alter combat ("skyrim redone" for exemple) but it seems to me that these mods make my character super weak on the first levels, being knocked out by a couple of wolves or bandits in a few blows. I am fine with it (again it encourages me to seek out other path than adventuring and make combat rare, dangerous and preferably avoided) but I was wondering if these couple of mods were playing a part in this.

Thanks for your answers ! Have a good day roaming skyrim however you like it :P

Set the DA setting in Defeat to 100%. Set defeat as the only bleedout option in DA. SD does not have its own defeat scenario, so you don't have to worry about that.

In your DA settings, make sure the "Perc. Health Large Hit" is set to at least 600% and the "Perc. Health Threshold" is set to 15% .

Also, [blatant plug] get Simple Slavery [/blatant plug].

Set the DA setting in Defeat to 100%. Set defeat as the only blackout option in DA. SD does not have its own defeat scenario, so you don't have to worry about that.

In your DA settings, make sure the "Perc. Health Large Hit" is set to at least 600% and the "Perc. Health Threshold" is set to 15% .

Interesting; I've been encountering the same issue as OP, Defeat lagging to activate or not activating at all.

Let's say for some reason I wanted to have an additional DA-based mod. How would I go making it play nice with other DA mods? Specifically, I want Defeat to be the top dog.

Defeat is different from the others because it runs on bleedout, not blackout. And I see now that I wrote the wrong thing before. I apologize. Make defeat the only bleedout option. You will get raped, then there will be a little pause. The enemies will start to walk away. One you get back on your feet, they will attack again, sending you into blackout and the other array of mods. If they got far enough away that they don't attack, consider them having left you for dead.

Set the DA setting in Defeat to 100%. Set defeat as the only bleedout option in DA. SD does not have its own defeat scenario, so you don't have to worry about that.

Defeat is different from the others because it runs on bleedout, not blackout. And I see now that I wrote the wrong thing before. I apologize. Make defeat the only bleedout option. You will get raped, then there will be a little pause. The enemies will start to walk away. One you get back on your feet, they will attack again, sending you into blackout and the other array of mods. If they got far enough away that they don't attack, consider them having left you for dead.

Thanks for the reply, it's actually making things much clearer now that i understand defeat is on bleedout and not blackout. This will help me get both the the after combat rapes and the events after blackout which is exactly what i was aiming for.

Might also help me make death a little more stable as it currently has a tendency to cause CTD (could be something else, I was a bit impatient getting my new playthrough ready and burned a few steps in setting all the mods carefully, i know it's a terrible idea but after a coulpe hours planning the game I just want to play XD )

Aside from that I started using simple slavery a few days before posting this thread and I absolutely love it so thanks a lot for that, I forgot to mention it because I thought it came from the "Maria eden" mod (sorry, i am running so many mods I sometimes forget where one ends and another begins :P )

Thank you for kind words. Totally understand. The original version of Maria does have a small auction. Not sure if the 3.x versions do.

CTD's are an unfortunate byproduct of heavily modded Skyrim. Save often. Don't remove mods partway through a play through.

Setting everything up is a pain in the ass. :)

Since you are so well-versed in the arcane workings of Defeat, I have another question for you.

I find that knockdowns are still wonky. They trigger, but sometimes they try to / do trigger, and get canceled out by the DA framework.

Okay, here's the question: Is it better to run Defeat with On Hit or On Bleedout? If the former, what settings for Defeat can ensure that its knockdowns trigger properly?

I would prefer to run with On Hit, if I could get it to work; I like get over-powered in mid combat. ^_^

Since you are so well-versed in the arcane workings of Defeat, I have another question for you.

I find that knockdowns are still wonky. They trigger, but sometimes they try to / do trigger, and get canceled out by the DA framework.

Okay, here's the question: Is it better to run Defeat with On Hit or On Bleedout? If the former, what settings for Defeat can ensure that its knockdowns trigger properly?

I would prefer to run with On Hit, if I could get it to work; I like get over-powered in mid combat. ^_^

if you're using DA, none of that matters because it is not used. Defeat gives all control of the triggers to DA. There is a setting in Defeat that puts a percentage chance of DA taking over I don't know why because setting it to anything but 100% will lead to conflicts, so make sure it's set to 100% . Also, some other mods (SD, for example) have bleedout options. Disable all bleedout options except Defeat. Also, Make sure you have the latest versions of everything.
  • 1 month later...

interesting. now why those numbers instead of the default 200% and 0%?

the first refers to excess damage after your hp goes below 0. Your hp can - and almost always will - be a negative number. So, for instance, if you have 5 hp left and you get hit for 10 damage, your hp will be -5,not 0. The default 200% will cover most excess damage, but imagine being very low level, so your hp pool is small, and getting hit with a two-handed attack that crits. The resulting excess damage can easily surpass 200%. Since that would exceed the boundaries of the settings, you will either die or get the glitch where da tries to start but your body flops and is unrecoverable.

The second means that the da stuff will kick in when your health hits that percentage of your total health. If you set it to 0. It will often wrestle with the vanilla death, which leads to a lot of problems. If you have it set to 15%, da is already on the job even if a hit, as described above, knocks you to or below 0.

Hey, has anyone tried to download the newest version of DA 7.0.1 yet? For some reason, Defeat doesn't show up as an option in the Bleedout setting anymore, now it's only Necromantic absorbtion. It seems the author change the framework a bit with the new update so maybe Defeat is no longer working properly with the new DA anymore?

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out. Use the Manual registration of Quest on the DA menu and it'll automatically fix it. The new version seems to work better

got another question: after Defeat, why do i go into blackout right away? i remember last playthrough i did a year ago i used to get this resist bar where i'd get up and run away instead.

there is a setting in Defeat where you can turn off the struggle bar. If Defeat is not happening at all (ie you're getting sent to DA without being raped first), make sure Defeat is turned on in DA's Bleedout and any other bleedout options are either lower percentage or turned off completely (recommended).

got another question: after Defeat, why do i go into blackout right away? i remember last playthrough i did a year ago i used to get this resist bar where i'd get up and run away instead.

there is a setting in Defeat where you can turn off the struggle bar. If Defeat is not happening at all (ie you're getting sent to DA without being raped first), make sure Defeat is turned on in DA's Bleedout and any other bleedout options are either lower percentage or turned off completely (recommended)

ahhh...i didn't turn off the defeat's struggle bar this time around.

let me clarify just in case i confused you: 

(current scenario)  Defeat happens and the PC swoons into blackout

(last year's playthrough) Defeat happened and then PC didn't blackout but had a struggle (to escape) bar - this was after all the bandits were done with PC completely and walked away.

I'll try turning off the struggle bar in defeat and see what happens then.

If the struggle bar is showing up after Defeat has already let the rapists have their way with you, it's probably from conflict with the vanilla death/da/defeat. No matter how good the alternative death mods become, the vanilla system still lurks and tries to wrest back control.

Or there might be script fragments firing if this is a save that includes the addition, subtraction, our updating of mods midstream.

Does it happen every time, in different locations? Does it happen on a brand new game (as opposed to a save)?

the first refers to excess damage after your hp goes below 0. Your hp can - and almost always will - be a negative number. So, for instance, if you have 5 hp left and you get hit for 10 damage, your hp will be -5,not 0. The default 200% will cover most excess damage, but imagine being very low level, so your hp pool is small, and getting hit with a two-handed attack that crits. The resulting excess damage can easily surpass 200%. Since that would exceed the boundaries of the settings, you will either die or get the glitch where da tries to start but your body flops and is unrecoverable.

The second means that the da stuff will kick in when your health hits that percentage of your total health. If you set it to 0. It will often wrestle with the vanilla death, which leads to a lot of problems. If you have it set to 15%, da is already on the job even if a hit, as described above, knocks you to or below 0.

I tried doing as this said, but it didn't turn out so well. It was all fine and dandy going from bleedout->struggle->submit->rape->blackout but the moment I wake up in black out I'm ragdolling and stuck. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I followed all the instructions in the thread.

Edit: Gonna try bleedout only instead of bleed out and ragdoll in animations. I wonder what the ragdoll is even for?

I tried doing as this said, but it didn't turn out so well. It was all fine and dandy going from bleedout->struggle->submit->rape->blackout but the moment I wake up in black out I'm ragdolling and stuck. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I followed all the instructions in the thread.

Edit: Gonna try bleedout only instead of bleed out and ragdoll in animations. I wonder what the ragdoll is even for?

I think it's for when you're defeated by ranged attacks, because sometimes da doesn't kick in if you get defeated by arrows or magic. But I don't know that for sure.

I think it's for when you're defeated by ranged attacks, because sometimes da doesn't kick in if you get defeated by arrows or magic. But I don't know that for sure.

Well crap I don't know how to troubleshoot it then. I just don't know where to experiment, and I'm also a bit sad that with the current settings post assault always results in black out. I remember back then I could use defeat -> post assault -> 180 sec or whatever I set it to letting me run away while the aggressors were in limp dick mode so to speak, but DA doesn't seem to allow that, not with the current workable settings anyways.

I like all the expanded alternative quests that come out of blacking out, so it's hard for me to give it up but then again I'm not sure if it's even possible to make it work right with my lack of understanding on modding.

By the way, if you put "Perc. Health Threshold" to 0%, you'll be sent in a perpetual bleedout state. Don't do it.

And thanks to jfraser for the clear how-to. Up until now, I wasn't sure if want I did was correct (it wasn't). I still enabled shape shifting and necromantic absorption though, which can also behave weirdly. For example, if you are in your beast form, then get sent into bleedout, you'll lose the form and defeat will ask you "Do you want to shape shift into your beast form to fight off your enemies?".

{snippy}

Well crap I don't know how to troubleshoot it then. I just don't know where to experiment, and I'm also a bit sad that with the current settings post assault always results in black out. I remember back then I could use defeat -> post assault -> 180 sec or whatever I set it to letting me run away while the aggressors were in limp dick mode so to speak, but DA doesn't seem to allow that, not with the current workable settings anyways.

I like all the expanded alternative quests that come out of blacking out, so it's hard for me to give it up but then again I'm not sure if it's even possible to make it work right with my lack of understanding on modding.

No, you're on the right track. Most things should work if you turn off ragdoll - just, every now and then da will be skipped if you die by ranged attack. If I see I'm close to defeat and have no hope, I try to get close to a melee user (or close enough to the ranged attacker that they switch to melee) for the final hits. Or you can use Defeat's surrender function, although I never use it so I don't know how well it plays with da.

By the way, if you put "Perc. Health Threshold" to 0%, you'll be sent in a perpetual bleedout state. Don't do it.

And thanks to jfraser for the clear how-to. Up until now, I wasn't sure if want I did was correct (it wasn't). I still enabled shape shifting and necromantic absorption though, which can also behave weirdly. For example, if you are in your beast form, then get sent into bleedout, you'll lose the form and defeat will ask you "Do you want to shape shift into your beast form to fight off your enemies?".

correct. And you're welcome. :) I didn't know defeat did that for beast forms, since I never use them. That's a nice feature, but right - contradictory in this case.