I've been thinking of restringing "Legacy of the dragonborn" but how will it affect its patches ?

The patches don't contain any scripts, so Restringer wont affect them. Restringer ONLY changes scripts.

Have been tessting "Restringer" extensively.

Do not use it on SkyUI, this will destroy many option in the MCM menus for the mods.

Have also had a problem with the "mining script", can mine but mining goes on and on without ore.

Thought it was a problem with "SPERG", but tried without running "Restringer" on SPERG, problem still the same.

Also seems to destroy the timing on some animations.

But it gives a better stability to the game.

Hope you can use this info.

Brgds

Mikiniki

Do not use it on SkyUI, this will destroy many option in the MCM menus for the mods.

Have also had a problem with the "mining script", can mine but mining goes on and on without ore.

Thought it was a problem with "SPERG", but tried without running "Restringer" on SPERG, problem still the same.

Brgds

Mikiniki

This could be something else.  I have the mining issue; usually I use a movement key to exit the animation and try again.  After about 2-4 times, the ore starts accumulating.  Same thing with other animations.  I am not using Restringer yet, so, just though I would bring this up.

Brgds

Mikiniki

Ok should have given more info.

Tried to run "Restringer" on all my mods with strings attached except USLEEP.

That gave above result.

Then ran "Restringer on all the mods with strings attached except USLEEP and SkyUI.

Result much better but stil errors on some menus in MCM and errors in some animations from mods.

Have tried my setup without restringer and then the "Mining script" works again.

Hopes this clarifies.

Brgds

Mikiniki

I see... Restringer is really only meant to be run on a few big mods that nothing else depends on -- like Interesting NPCs.

If you're going to patch most of your mods, you're probably better off trying to patch EVERYTHING all at once, including the Skyrim game files. Not that I've tested that... but I think it would be more likely to work than just patching almost everything.

Is USLEEP a good mod to use restringer on? Sorry if the question is dumb.

No. USLEEP patches the core game files. If you restring USLEEP, you also need to restring literally every single other mod AND the skyrim data directory. It's a bad idea.

Focus on restringing big quest mods like Legacy of the Dragonborn.

Is USLEEP a good mod to use restringer on? Sorry if the question is dumb.

No. USLEEP patches the core game files. If you restring USLEEP, you also need to restring literally every single other mod AND the skyrim data directory. It's a bad idea.

Focus on restringing big quest mods like Legacy of the Dragonborn.

Thank you for answer my question :)

been using the newest restringer. nice gui! i see it outputs a scripts folder and a zip called disasm.zip

what is the disasm.zip? i thought cool!, the new restrung scripts are already in a convenient archive, and all i need do is rename it  (if i want) and install...cept the scripts are not in a script Folder inside the zip, so they don't get installed correctly using NMM

so what is the disasm for?

been using the newest restringer. nice gui! i see it outputs a scripts folder and a zip called disasm.zip

what is the disasm.zip? i thought cool!, the new restrung scripts are already in a convenient archive, and all i need do is rename it (if i want) and install...cept the scripts are not in a script Folder inside the zip, so they don't get installed correctly using NMM

It's for debugging, it contains text versions of the scripts so that I can quickly check and see what restringer actually did, what names got changed, etc. It's not actually disassembled, but it's about halfway there.

Would you like the patch to be produced in an archive instead of a folder? Maybe a nice 7z file?

what is the disasm.zip? i thought cool!, the new restrung scripts are already in a convenient archive, and all i need do is rename it (if i want) and install...cept the scripts are not in a script Folder inside the zip, so they don't get installed correctly using NMM

It's for debugging, it contains text versions of the scripts so that I can quickly check and see what restringer actually did, what names got changed, etc. It's not actually disassembled, but it's about halfway there.

Would you like the patch to be produced in an archive instead of a folder? Maybe a nice 7z file?

nah u don't have to do that. easy enough to make a zip myself. i just didn't realize what that disasm was for lol

My two cents on this first version :

• The generated files (when the cleaning is done) don't have the .ess extension automatically added to them (Am I supposed to rename it like the old save and keep its skse file ?)
  • The .skse file linked with the .ess one isn't generated, I don't know if I can simply copy/paste the one from my old save
  • Something to say that the save has been loaded into ReSaver would be nice

In the end, the generated save was corrupted (I had something like 68 unattached instances and 1 undefined script), maybe it's because of the missing .skse file, but honestly it's a heavily modded save so I can't blame ReSaver (it's still an early alpha version after all).  I'm sure it'll get better with time smile.png

• The generated files (when the cleaning is done) don't have the .ess extension automatically added to them (Am I supposed to rename it like the old save and keep its skse file ?)
  • The .skse file linked with the .ess one isn't generated, I don't know if I can simply copy/paste the one from my old save
In the end, the generated save was corrupted (I had something like 68 unattached instances and 1 undefined script), maybe it's because of the missing .skse file, but honestly it's a heavily modded save so I can't blame ReSaver (it's still an early alpha version after all).  I'm sure it'll get better with time smile.png

During testing I've been saving over my test save repeatedly, so I completely missed the issues with the file extension and the co-save!

What do you mean by "Something to say that the save has been loaded into ReSaver would be nice"? Is it the fact that ReSaver appears in the background sometimes when you load it from ReStringer?

In the end, the generated save was corrupted (I had something like 68 unattached instances and 1 undefined script), maybe it's because of the missing .skse file, but honestly it's a heavily modded save so I can't blame ReSaver (it's still an early alpha version after all). I'm sure it'll get better with time smile.png

During testing I've been saving over my test save repeatedly, so I completely missed the issues with the file extension and the co-save!

What do you mean by "Something to say that the save has been loaded into ReSaver would be nice"? Is it the fact that ReSaver appears in the background sometimes when you load it from ReStringer?

It's rather the fact that the GUI doesn't let you know that the save has been successfully loaded. For example, the savetools I used to work with would display the save thumbnail, its number of scripts etc. When I loaded it with ReSaver I wasn't sure it worked because nothing changed.

Edit : Or maybe it's supposed to display something and my save wasn't correctly loaded. Feel free to ask for the save file I used if it can be of any help :)

It's rather the fact that the GUI doesn't let you know that the save has been successfully loaded. For example, the savetools I used to work with would display the save thumbnail, its number of scripts etc. When I loaded it with ReSaver I wasn't sure it worked because nothing changed.

Edit : Or maybe it's supposed to display something and my save wasn't correctly loaded. Feel free to ask for the save file I used if it can be of any help :)

Yes, the save file would help. Also if possible, a screenshot of what you see when you load that save -- in case ReSaver is working differently for you than it does on my system.

Some details on the save linked below : it's a new character waiting to be played in the abandoned prison of "Live another life".  I configured all the mods and MCM so it's ready to be played with.  Also, I play in French (maybe it has some impact, I don't know).

The screenshot is what ReSaver looks like once I select the save.

Chaotic save.zip

post-493705-0-35788500-1466163138_thumb.png

Some details on the save linked below : it's a new character waiting to be played in the abandoned prison of "Live another life".  I configured all the mods and MCM so it's ready to be played with.  Also, I play in French (maybe it has some impact, I don't know).

Your Very Interesting save has exposed lots of Very Interesting bugs in ReSaver. It's a fantastic test case. :-)

Your Very Interesting save has exposed lots of Very Interesting bugs in ReSaver. It's a fantastic test case. :-)

Comparing it to Frankenstein would be a good analogy biggrin.png

(I haven't even started the game yet)

I always end up fucking up my saves with too much scripts or mods, that's why I need a new savetool so I can try to "fix" them.  As you said, it's a quite extreme case but if you manage to make ReSaver work on that kind of save, it would also be able to fix most of people's saves (well, I guess).

Some details on the save linked below : it's a new character waiting to be played in the abandoned prison of "Live another life". I configured all the mods and MCM so it's ready to be played with. Also, I play in French (maybe it has some impact, I don't know).

Comparing it to Frankenstein would be a good analogy biggrin.png

(I haven't even started the game yet)

I always end up fucking up my saves with too much scripts or mods, that's why I need a new savetool so I can try to "fix" them. As you said, it's a quite extreme case but if you manage to make ReSaver work on that kind of save, it would also be able to fix most of people's saves (well, I guess).

It works now (or rather it will successfully read and write that savegame). I'll post it tonight. Then I just need to do some code clean up and optimization, and ReSaver should be ready for a beta release.

I tried the new version but the save I choose still didn't seem to load, I then tried to load it through ReStringer and the log was :

Loading savegame.

Savegame loaded, read 5,5 mb in 2,5 s.

Fatal error.

java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 128

ENTERING ANALYSIS: Mod "Real Shelter - Full Re...": fast analyzing.

Here are some saves to investigate (they'll probably be even more monstruous since I removed a few mods from them).

Also, the profile selection in ReStringer (I suppose it's refering to MO profiles) only showed me the "Default" one (I have 3 other profiles).

goodluck.zip