New computer - how to transfer NMM setup & mods to a new machine?

Okay - so, I bought a new computer...

I've just installed Skyrim.

I can easily backup & copy over my Skyrim folder from my old machine - that part is easy enough. BUT, I need to get NMM's mods & setup over as well, otherwise I need to reinstall the modded game from scratch (again).

Has anyone else done a transfer of their game from an old machine to a new one? How do I do this?

Or is it better to just re-mod the game fresh on the new machine? :huh:

Just backing up  and moving the Sky rim folder won`t work. There are a few dll files and other types the game installs in your window files. Direct X is one I know and a audio dll is another. What you could do is install Mod Organizer on your old  computer and import your nexus mods. Then all you would have to do is reinstall Sky rim, ske and a enb if you use one. As for Mod Organizer just back it up and move it. Then  maybe a bit tweaking of Mod Organizer.

Try and copy the folders. If the game works, then let it.

If it doesn't, it'll be the perfect opportunity to dump the obsolete NMM and getting things really under your control with Mod Organizer.

Make sure you watch Gopher's videos on Mod Organizer. The time spent on making things right the first time will save you much more time in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a folder called Games (I think it's been months since I found it so I'm a little iffy on the path) in program files & it holds all NMMs data you can find it & copy it to a flash drive & pop it in to your new PC. It's basically the reason why you can nuke your NMM but still have all the mods still active after a fresh install

yes there's a folder called /Games/Nexus Mod Manager/

in there is a /skyrim/ -- simply copy that

it's the folder where NMM downloads mods to for example, and caches overwrites

if you copy the entire /skyrim/ then the new instance of NMM - when assigning that copy as the new downloads destination etc. -should "see" it 

I can easily backup & copy over my Skyrim folder from my old machine - that part is easy enough. BUT, I need to get NMM's mods & setup over as well, otherwise I need to reinstall the modded game from scratch (again).

Has anyone else done a transfer of their game from an old machine to a new one? How do I do this?

I actually did that, since I modified and made mods specially for my game I understand the problem of reinstalling every mod or moving to MO ... So all you need to do is:

(these are example directories, you may recognize your own ones )

FOR THIS TO WORK YOU NEED TO USE THE SAME SKYRIM INSTALLATION DIRECTOY AS YOU HAD ON YOUR OLD PC

1.--Back up your Skyrim Installation :

-C:\Users\"YourUser"\Documents\My Games\Skyrim (Skyrim Settings)

-C:\Users\"YourUser"\AppData\Local\Skyrim  (here is your load order and plugin list)

-C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim  (your game directory)

2.-Back Up your NMM Installation:

-C:\Program Files\Nexus Mod Manager (program directory)

-C:\Nexus Mod Manager\Skyrim (this is where the game mod data is,there are 2 folders: "Install Info"  and "Mods")

3.-Install fresh skyrim from Steam  on your new PC: (Note: Use the same directories as in your old pc) (also use the same game  language you had on your old one)

-If your NMM is up to date it would be good to make a fresh installation too BUT using the same directories you had on your old pc

4.- Move all the skyrim related directories you backed up on your new pc replacing the ones from the fresh installation, however I would recommend that in your Skyrim game folder to only move the new files and leave the base ones untouched, if you overwrite, Steam may try to re download some files.

5- Move  all the NMM related directories to the same place you had it on your old pc

And as I remember that is all, always keep your old back ups at hand for any problem you may had.

also remember to install  Direct X.

Be careful with the Skyrim shortcut the fresh installation created it may be directed to SkyrimLauncher.exe , never open the Launcher or it will overwrite your old settings with new ones, use TESV.exe.

I actually did that, since I modified and made mods specially for my game I understand the problem of reinstalling every mod or moving to MO ... So all you need to do is:

(these are example directories, you may recognize your own ones )

FOR THIS TO WORK YOU NEED TO USE THE SAME SKYRIM INSTALLATION DIRECTOY AS YOU HAD ON YOUR OLD PC

1.--Back up your Skyrim Installation :

-C:\Users\"YourUser"\Documents\My Games\Skyrim (Skyrim Settings)

-C:\Users\"YourUser"\AppData\Local\Skyrim  (here is your load order and plugin list)

-C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim  (your game directory)

2.-Back Up your NMM Installation:

-C:\Program Files\Nexus Mod Manager (program directory)

-C:\Nexus Mod Manager\Skyrim (this is where the game mod data is,there are 2 folders: "Install Info"  and "Mods")

3.-Install fresh skyrim from Steam  on your new PC: (Note: Use the same directories as in your old pc) (also use the same game  language you had on your old one)

-If your NMM is up to date it would be good to make a fresh installation too BUT using the same directories you had on your old pc

4.- Move all the skyrim related directories you backed up on your new pc replacing the ones from the fresh installation, however I would recommend that in your Skyrim game folder to only move the new files and leave the base ones untouched, if you overwrite, Steam may try to re download some files.

5- Move  all the NMM related directories to the same place you had it on your old pc

And as I remember that is all, always keep your old back ups at hand for any problem you may had.

also remember to install  Direct X.

Be careful with the Skyrim shortcut the fresh installation created it may be directed to SkyrimLauncher.exe , never open the Launcher or it will overwrite your old settings with new ones, use TESV.exe.

Many thanks for your reply here, Aensland! Sadly, I have already wiped the old drive from my old machine after salvaging my modding stuff & a few hard-to-source mods. I will be installing & modding fresh. Truth be told it may be for the best, as my game was kinda twitchy (although how much of that was due to hardware slowly failing I will never know). ;)

Archived