Paid mods and Bethesda announcement on the E3

What credits?

Bethesderp -

"use credits to download" 0:34

200 credits for a shitty mask, 200 credits most

likely equal 2 dollars USD

$1.50 for Mudcrab Armor

$5 for a dingy knockoff of Frostfall

existing mods are free but new mods if author decides can be behind paywall.

But, there’s a constant demand from our fans to add more official high quality content to our games, and while we are able to create a lot of it, we think many in our community have the talent to work directly with us and create some amazing new things.

lol thats paid mods right there.

You do NOT need credits to download MODS. 

You do need credits to buy whatever from their new microtransaction's shop. 

What they are doing is leaving the mods the way they are now and intending to sell curated and tested content. 

The way I see it it is the best of both worlds.

This is not targeted at heavy mod users. This is for users who are afraid to try and install mods because "it can break my game". 

As I quoted in OP:

All the content is approved, curated, and taken through the full internal dev cycle; including localization, polishing, and testing. This also guarantees that all content works together.

Interesting.. seems like it could not only be paid mods, but in game microtransactions. :s

"Browse the selection in game... your new content will appear automatically"

Imagine we go to Belethor and the credit card confirmation screen pops up.  :P

The bottom line here is that Bethesda wants to sell us armors and functionalities that should have been in the original game in the first place.

Last time, people asked for a Survival Mode in Fallout 4 and they got it through patching (or was it in the season pass?). Now they'll charge you for it.

A cool looking Ebony Armor? ha! buy that, you want the maps in color? buy that too!

I'd have been fine if they curated and helped develop big DLC sized mods made by the community with Bethesda's help, I'd happily pay for something like Skywind, InterestingNPC's (already donated actually)... etc. but for bethesda to come and do this shit, there'll always be that voice nagging in our head asking "did they hold this feature/armor/weapon from the original game just to sell it later?" and that sucks.

creationclub.bethesda.net:

Is Creation Club paid mods?

No. Mods will remain a free and open system where anyone can create and share what they’d like. Also, we won’t allow any existing mods to be retrofitted into Creation Club, it must all be original content. Most of the Creation Club content is created internally, some with external partners who have worked on our games, and some by external Creators. All the content is approved, curated, and taken through the full internal dev cycle; including localization, polishing, and testing. This also guarantees that all content works together. We’ve looked at many ways to do “paid mods”, and the problems outweigh the benefits. We’ve encountered many of those issues before. But, there’s a constant demand from our fans to add more official high quality content to our games, and while we are able to create a lot of it, we think many in our community have the talent to work directly with us and create some amazing new things.

Mods are bought with points.

Points are bought with money.

Paid microtransactions.

RIF.png

Bethesda also owns anything made with CC.

Why is everyone freaking out? This is an addition to normal free mods. It even says in their FAQ that existing mods will not be accepted...if the modder wants to be an ass and join the club just to make profits then that's on them.

With the exception to the money, it seems like this might be a nightmare for modders. Going through all that optimization process with Bethesda to make sure it works for all platforms. NO THANKS! And I'm sure they'll have you sign some sort of anally binding contract

If I’m accepted to be a Creator, what can I create and what is the dev process?

Creators are required to submit documentation pitches which go through an approval process. All content must be new and original. Once a concept is approved, a development schedule with Alpha, Beta and Release milestones is created. Creations go through our full development pipeline, which Creators participate in. Bethesda Game Studios developers work with Creators to iterate and polish their work along with full QA cycles. The content is fully localized, as well. This ensures compatibility with the original game, official add-ons and achievements.

Are Creators Paid For Their Work?

Yes. Just like our own game developers, Creators are paid for their work and start receiving payment as soon as their proposal is accepted and through development milestones.

Looking at this, it sounds more like an official second job than modding in your spare time. But are Beth really going to pay a decent wage for it?

Why is everyone freaking out? This is an addition to normal free mods. It even says in their FAQ that existing mods will not be accepted...if the modder wants to be an ass and join the club just to make profits then that's on them.

With the exception to the money, it seems like this might be a nightmare for modders. Going through all that optimization process with Bethesda to make sure it works for all platforms. NO THANKS! And I'm sure they'll have you sign some sort of anally binding contract

Because when this is the exclusive platform for future title modding it will suck.

Because when this is the exclusive platform for future title modding it will suck.

Consider that "Creation Club" not-mods will probably be allowed to use external textures, models, and scripts on the PS4, something the free mods can't. This is the near future for PS4 owners, not some far-off TES VI limit to worry about.

You really think some bull crap like this will become the "future"? Only way for this to be sustainable is for people to actually buy into it and support these micro transactions. Last i checked literally no one wants to pay for mods. So I don't see this happening and it's just hysteria that's being blown out of proportion.

I tend to agree with Bethesda that Creation Club is not mods. 

Mods are third party stuff where users got the content from creators. 

In micro-transactions you are dealing with publisher/developer of the original game.  Creation Club stuff could come from anywhere but you are buying from Bethesda.  This addresses the last paid mod fiasco where the mod creators were the seller, now they are technically suppliers to Bethesda.  Not all mod creators can be suppliers to Bethesda and Bethesda will be responsible for what sold under the Creation Club name.

This does not mean I like micro-transaction one bit :angry:

Good thing there is zero reason to think it ever will be the exclusive platform for modding, then.

EXACTLY. Nexus is already the standard for modding. Bethesda.Net has been available for two years now and it's not even popular. This creation club will never be successful.

You really think some bull crap like this will become the "future"? Only way for this to be sustainable is for people to actually buy into it and support these micro transactions. Last i checked literally no one wants to pay for mods. So I don't see this happening and it's just hysteria that's being blown out of proportion.

No one wants to pay for "mods" but micro-transactions are worth $71 billions and why EA is re-positioning its entire DLC strategy to feed micro-transactions.  (I think all the articles are citing from the wrong source, it should be $7.1 billion and not $71 billion). 

Creation Club is micro-transactions open to third party suppliers.  Technically it's not "mod". 

@zzz

What you say holds true for shit games like COD, battlefield, and other micro oriented games. That's NOT Bethesda and has never been. I agree it's a successful business gimmick but this will not work for Bethesda.

Before anyone else chimes in on nonsense just stop and think. Bethesda's highlights have always been quests DLCs.when you think of skyrim and fallout DLC you think of some kind of quests with smaller add ons. You really think someone is going to say "oh hey I want to buy this outfit for my character!!" When they can get a free alternative elsewhere? Stupid.

Remember what happened when Bethesda released the horse armor? People were PISSED. Remember what happened when they made the Vault workshop DLC in fallout 4? People were PISSED. Hell people were pissed that automatron's DLC was a small quest and mostly a settlement expansion!

Trust me. The last thing people are going to do is buy microtransactions. This shit will only serve the PS4 players honestly. If people want to buy an armor from this club, they'll probably just hit up their fave mod author and ask if they can make something similar.

Zero need to worry.

Trust you?

How about not.

I work in the industry, and the parent company of BGS is driven by pure profit and is a fortune 500 company, if you seriously think this is just a side endeavor, you are sadly mistaken. This is paid for hire contract work, and it's just the beginning.

This is the beginning of paid lifetime title subscription.

No one wants to pay for "mods" but micro-transactions are worth $71 billions and why EA is re-positioning its entire DLC strategy to feed micro-transactions. 

Creation Club is micro-transactions open to third party suppliers.  Technically it's not "mod". 

That's the thing, micro-transactions is a really bad practice to begin with, scheming to hold back features to sell them back to you later on is wrong, you can argue that they'll be "ethical" and won't do that, but we'd never know.

All our lives we've been paying full-price for full games, once we open the door and buy into micro-transactions, we'll see half-assed games that would almost certainly require side-purchases to enjoy or even beat.

We already lost the season-pass battle, let not lose to this shit. I truly believe people have the right idea and mindset regarding additional charges, but that won't be enough if they didn't hold back on spending their dimes, I know it's their money that they can do with as they please, but in the process we encourage bad-development-behavior and normalize it.

Archived