Criticism to Amateur XXX games developer (RPG MAKERS & Renpy)

Benn82

Call me late, I just subscribe to IdubbbzTv recently and watching his Kickstarter Crap show.

It's seem, not only amateur games developer doesn't know the real deal of making games, they also don't know how to calculate their expenditure projection.

No wonder many of Patreon Projects were in complicated situation. It's not just X-Games, but to all genre and ratings.

There has to be many projects still live, but their incompetence of management and coordination (financial and target assignment) became the major problem that hinder them to finish the game.

Plus my past experience as 3D Animator's slave worker and now in learning game coding ... 3 months per update release is a very tight schedule, even if they were pro, but most of these Developers are soloist and amateur. Wow ... the more I learn the reality, the more I'm skeptical to the Patreon Projects.

And as I probably realize it late than most of you ... Patreon became the new Kickstarter.

As Kickstarter had limit days of pledge, Patreon had none, as limitless time of pledges. This is more dangerous than before !

(I need to review to all of my Patreon supporting, again and again, call me late, but better learn late than keep getting fooled. I have to start using my head brain and stop using my penis brain. :D )

It's definitely a buyer beware. There is a Patreon contribution I'm happy with, and another that I'm parting ways with.

One good part of Patreon is it is a good funding mechanism for independent or small team collaboration. The issue though is to not take advantage of your customer base. The monthly option quickly adds up, that's why the one that I'm most happy with only charges as content is released. So if they go more than a month without putting out an update, then there is no charge to me.

It's a method that better equates seeing value for your money, and I'm leaning towards it for a collaboration project I'm working on now, as it also would remove some pressure from having to have a monthly or more frequent release to appease those getting charged monthly. It appears that you can even make it based on major release, so lets say I release a 1.2 that causes a charge. Someone finds some bugs, so I fix them and release 1.21, which doesn't trigger a charge.

... the one that I'm most happy with only charges as content is released. So if they go more than a month without putting out an update, then there is no charge to me...

So true. We have to force for every indie & amateur developer in Patreon to use this feature and leave the monthly system.

This is a win-win solution. Dev can take break if they want it to, and consumer won't get scammed if production gone amiss.

I think I will follow this way. Stop donating monthly and request them to be donate per project, or else I'll stop donating.

Archived