Edit: can't see images? Imgur album here.

So the GECK will be out before too long, and I anticipate that a lot of people will be creating mods with themes of slavery. Now would be a good time for a slave collar resource, because to the best of my knowledge there isn't one in the vanilla game (please, correct me if there is).

manacles_001.jpg

I'd appreciate any criticisms or comments. The design is real-world implausible but physically consistent. The lock is based on a handcuff and would work, but you would have to have the mindset of a Fallout raider to build it this way. It's far bulkier than any real collar, but much less bulky than the slave collar from Fallout 3.

As usual it will be creative commons, no permission required, remix; retexture; reupload; sell; whatever you like, just remember to attribute.

manacles_002.jpg

manacles_003.jpg

The state of the project so far is this highpoly, subsurf-modelled design.

Still to go:

• Further highpoly details: welding on welded joins, and possibly hammer marks on metal surfaces.
  • lowpoly topology
  • UV map
  • texturing
  • export to FO4

I'm also considering including manacles for the wrists if there's enough time, and for the ankles if there's plenty of time.

Some things I might need help with:

• It should be worn over outfits without replacing them
  • It needs to be rigid, so weight painting needs to have more control than simply copying the weights from a reference body. I can weight paint in blender, but don't know how to export weighted meshes to Outfit Studio
  • I would like it if the world item could open and shut freely, like the books in Skyrim. I have no idea how this is done.

I'll see you again with further updates.

Impressive design. It fits well with the cobbled together hardware look that is signature to the setting and its 'one-size-fits-all' design convinced me that it could actually be a piping fixture of some description.

That said... The locking mechanism does not look like it would withstand tampering and I'd probably be able to force it open. That's just the nature of an exposed mechanism.

Adding a housing over the retaining-clip would solve this and make it more tamper resistant.

Great work nonetheless.

Looks awesome.

If the item isn't called the iCollar(or some other similar moniker) with the first one as the splash art, IMO it's a lost opportunity.

That would imply some electronics, I see no electronics on this collar.

There's a box on the front that looks like the box you'd find on an ankle monitor.

Looks awesome.

If the item isn't called the iCollar(or some other similar moniker) with the first one as the splash art, IMO it's a lost opportunity.

There's a box on the front that looks like the box you'd find on an ankle monitor.

Ah I missed that, but still I would think an iCollar would be completely electronic, electronic WiFi locking/shocking/exploding, sensors to detect any removal attempts or straying from designated areas etc with programmed responses.

Well considering that in Fallout they never developed Micro-technology I dont see how there could be iAnything lol.

The device looks like the ones from FO3 bomb collar devices. 

http://rs1276.pbsrc.com/albums/y473/Michelle_Hermark/Stalker%20Books/Fallout%20Collar/200px-FNV_SlaveCollar_zpsf8adef00.png~c200

Yeah it would be at least twice the size of the bomb collar, the weight alone would stop slaves running away :)

How hard would it be to animate the lock? Looks great! On the explosive context I think instead

of an explosive it would be interesting to see the release for the collar being tied to part of a pistol

at the back of the head. Maybe a revolver base without the handle and barrel. Could have a critical

release fail where you set off the gun and result in a death scene where your head explodes. Or possibly

a switchblade. Just tossing ideas out. So ready for April!

Looks awesome.

I think you missed the joke. :P

The splash image (the main ad image) in the OP:

manacles_001.jpg

Has a similar resemblance to the old Ipod ads:

ipodad-full.jpg

ipod-ad-2.jpg

Thus the mention of the Icollar. ;)

(yes I know, joke ruined)

Looks awesome.

I think you missed the joke. :P

The splash image (the main ad image) in the OP:

manacles_001.jpg

Has a similar resemblance to the old Ipod ads:

ipodad-full.jpg

ipod-ad-2.jpg

Thus the mention of the Icollar. ;)

(yes I know, joke ruined)

First link is broken...

Well considering that in Fallout they never developed Micro-technology I dont see how there could be iAnything lol.

The device looks like the ones from FO3 bomb collar devices. 

http://rs1276.pbsrc.com/albums/y473/Michelle_Hermark/Stalker%20Books/Fallout%20Collar/200px-FNV_SlaveCollar_zpsf8adef00.png~c200

Actually transitors were developed, but about 10 years before the Great War (so over a century later) and never became widely used (safe to say anything that used transitors was military-exclusive technology).

Yeah, the joke was about the splash image resembling the original ipod ads. (Also insert joke about the collars being a controlling device that allows little to no freedom to do as you choose.)

On transistors though, it's actually a bit of a lost opportunity with respect to electronics in the fallout universe.  Given the resource wars, it would have been entirely plausible that modern electronics did exist, but they simply ran out of the rare earth metals that are used heavily in their production.  Alternatively, as is the case in the real world, that China owns the world's supply, and in the fallout universe they aren't as friendly about selling it.  

As such the US would have had to fall back on older vacuum tubes as they used more readily available materials.

• 4 weeks later...

Update: Lowpoly, UV-mapped version

manacles_005.jpg

So, I usually do an update upon every demonstrable stage completed, but I just couldn't find a camera angle/lighting to show off the welding. I'm just not an artist.

Here's what I've done:

•  
  • Created a manacle model. I figure that it will do fine for both wrists and ankles. It's fairly simple, not as showy as the collar, but it should be stylistically consistent even without unnecessary bolt-spikes.
  •  
  • Added some fine detail to the highpoly models. Specifically, welding. It's got big fat welding wherever two bits of metal are rigidly joined together, and I feel like it's just the right touch of fine detail to sell it.
  •  
  • Created lowpoly versions of both the collar and manacle.
  •  
  • UV mapped the collar and manacle. They share the same UV space so they'll have the same texture, which ought to save work for me and anyone who may want to modify it.
  •  
  • Baked the normal map, cavity map, ambient occlusion map, and shadow map. These are the main ingredients for my texturing method, which I'm working on streamlining and simplifying to teach other modders. When I do an update on the textures I think I'll go over how I do it, and see if it's simple enough to explain in a single forum post.
  •  
  • Exported the collar to Fallout with rudimentary weight painting and textures. This used to be my final stage once textures are complete, but this way I hope I can keep referring to the game-rendered model to get feedback on whether what I'm doing is even working.
  •  

Screen_Shot36.jpg

Remaining work to be done:

• Textures.
  • Correct weight painting. The collar is rigid so copying bone weights from CBBE won't cut it. This I could do in blender in a snap but will require some time in Outfit Studio to figure out.
  • Create an .esp where the items can be worn without locking out clothing slots.
  • I would like some kind of script or effect that allows the collar to be placed on pacified NPCs and causes them to become followers. I suspect this won't be feasible without the GECK but if anyone knows anything about that kind of thing I would love to hear about it.

P. S. If these images don't work, I've appended them to the imgur album.

Update: Lowpoly, UV-mapped version

manacles_005.jpg

So, I usually do an update upon every demonstrable stage completed, but I just couldn't find a camera angle/lighting to show off the welding. I'm just not an artist.

Here's what I've done:

•  
  • Created a manacle model. I figure that it will do fine for both wrists and ankles. It's fairly simple, not as showy as the collar, but it should be stylistically consistent even without unnecessary bolt-spikes.
  •  
  • Added some fine detail to the highpoly models. Specifically, welding. It's got big fat welding wherever two bits of metal are rigidly joined together, and I feel like it's just the right touch of fine detail to sell it.
  •  
  • Created lowpoly versions of both the collar and manacle.
  •  
  • UV mapped the collar and manacle. They share the same UV space so they'll have the same texture, which ought to save work for me and anyone who may want to modify it.
  •  
  • Baked the normal map, cavity map, ambient occlusion map, and shadow map. These are the main ingredients for my texturing method, which I'm working on streamlining and simplifying to teach other modders. When I do an update on the textures I think I'll go over how I do it, and see if it's simple enough to explain in a single forum post.
  •  
  • Exported the collar to Fallout with rudimentary weight painting and textures. This used to be my final stage once textures are complete, but this way I hope I can keep referring to the game-rendered model to get feedback on whether what I'm doing is even working.
  •  

Screen_Shot36.jpg

Remaining work to be done:

• Textures.
  • Correct weight painting. The collar is rigid so copying bone weights from CBBE won't cut it. This I could do in blender in a snap but will require some time in Outfit Studio to figure out.
  • Create an .esp where the items can be worn without locking out clothing slots.
  • I would like some kind of script or effect that allows the collar to be placed on pacified NPCs and causes them to become followers. I suspect this won't be feasible without the GECK but if anyone knows anything about that kind of thing I would love to hear about it.

P. S. If these images don't work, I've appended them to the imgur album.

Awesome work..... can't wait to see these in game  :)

Trykz

UPDATE: Textures!

manacles_006.jpg

I would like these to be worn as accessories without taking up any slots used by vanilla clothing items, and I have no idea how to do that.

If anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it very much.

Also, this is a bit of a stretch, but I would like to give them some functionality if possible. For example,  placing them on a pacified NPC turns them into a follower. This is complex and I would imagine would be a job best left for the GECK, but there have been similarly complex mods created, such as the power armor companion mod. If anyone knows anything about how to do that I would appreciate any info.

In the meantime, texturing is complete, so once I've settled that accessory slot business it'll be ready for release as a modders' resource. 

Archived