How to port oblivion files to skyrim using outfit studio

Don't think I have seen anything like this yet so I thought I would do one.

This is a tutorial on how to port oblivion mesh into skyrim. Unlike fallout nifs which you can port into outfit studio without any problem oblivion files are not compatible and will cause the tool to crash.

First thing you have to do before anything is to run the oblivion nif through Gerra6's pose converter to convert the pose from oblivion to skyrim. To port the oblivion mesh you need to export the parts of the outfit in .OBJ format one piece at a time. I tried doing the whole thing but the whole outfit just blew up in outfit studio so instead I did each piece one piece at a time.

So load a oblivion nif up into nifskope click a item piece go to file - export .OBJ name the file something then hit save repeat for each item in the nif. 

Once they are all in .OBJ format grab them and take them all to your bodyslide outfit studio folder. Make a bodyslide body that you think might work or just one to use till later when you have all the .OBJ files done.

Click new project select UNP or CBBE then select the body you made hit next then select one of the .OBJ files and hit finish look and see if a file is listed under the name if there is scroll out you may have to scroll for a bit as the outfit could be big enough to fit king kongs girlfriend but that is fine that will be fixed later.

Hit file export - export with reference (this will port outfit piece along with the body used). Repeat with each .OBJ file till they have all been done.

Decide which nif you want all of the parts in load one of the nifs up right click the item piece go to block - copy branch click load and pick the nif you selected and load it up then right click scene root and go to block - paste branch if there are no errors go to save as to overwrite the nif. If there are any errors do not save as it could cause problems with your mesh.

Now that all parts are in one nif once again click load outfit and select the newly joined nif file and load it into outfit studio. For items that are in multiple pieces you will want to move them all at the same time to do this hold down CTRL and select each outfit piece once they are all selected hit shape - move shape first one moves things left or right 2nd one moves things forward and backwards the last one moves things up or down. 

If a item needs resizing click shape - scale shape adjust size you will have to off and on adjust placement as the outfit will shrink and get smaller.

If items need resizing you can try 0.10000 for the resize number.

Once everything is where you want it hit file then export file or export with reference which ever you want to use. You will get a error about a vertex not having weighting error but that is fine just ignore it as your next step is going to be running it through mesh rigger.

Take the file and place it into your mesh rigger target file then run it and select the body templates that you want to use once done all weighting and bounce will be added if you selected those types. Make sure you double check the BSDismemberSkinInstance for each item piece to make sure that bones were added if one doesn't have any bones you can't install it as it will cause the CK to crash so just grab it and rerun the newest one through mesh rigger a 2nd time and that should work.

Add the mesh to a folder and the oblivion textures to a folder or you can do like I do and use someone else's folders to add them to my game. Change the texture paths in the nif to match the folder path that the textures are at save as to overwrite then load the mods .esp up and add the outfit/armor to the .esp and save.

I do not know if it will work every time or not. This is where I found the info for trying it in the first place. http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/1280523-bodyslide-2-and-outfit-studio/page-38

*Extra info

No BSDismemberSkinInstance or NiSkinInstance in a nif?

If something doesn't have a BSDismemberSkinInstance or NiSkinInstance in a nif then export that sucker in OBJ format then export with reference from outfit studio and it'll add to it for you. So now you can add whatever the hell you want to a nif without ever having to use blender or 3dmax to add those things to them. As long as the nif is set up the correct way.

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/13140-pose-converter-089i-10302014/ Poser converter. I believe the pose converter also comes bundled in the clothing converter download as well as mesh rigger.

Mesh rigger pose converter and clothing converter can be found in the modders resource section of LL.

I have tried 3 or four different oblivion nifs and they have all worked 1 thing that I did see that was consistent is that the outfits will always be big enough for a giant or bigger to wear when you port the .OBJ files into outfit studio. Only thing that sucks about oblivion files is that many of them are in multiple pieces and it makes it a bit trickier to as it is a bit harder to remove clipping with multi pieced outfits as you can have gaps where the pieces join. So far I have been able to port and convert this to skyrim.

post-25667-0-53560700-1456675382_thumb.jpg

This is for porting .XPS files to skyrim.

First you need the blender addon to allow you to port .XPS/generic item files into blender. Place the .XPS file into the blender folder and the use the file - import - xnalara/.XPS and select the file and load it. Delete out the shit you don't need like hair eyes body but don't delete the rigging as you might need that.

Spoiler

Untitled.pngUntitled.png

You want to export 1 piece at a time out of blender otherwise it'll blow up in outfit studios if you don't. So delete out one piece and export the other piece then undo the delete and delete the other one and export the other one. You can also fuse parts together to help with molding and forming in outfit studios if needed then export the fused piece back out of outfit studios in .OBJ format and load it back into blender to unfuse those parts. But first before you go through the trouble add the textures to the fused parts and see if they might all be using the same texture file if they are then they can stay fused.

The file above has 2 pieces so I tried fusing but one piece ended up with outfit studios eating a piece of it so I had to keep them in 2 pieces. I exported the pieces out 1 at a time in OBJ format then I started a new project selected UUNP HDT body and then hit browse and dropped the first .OBJ file into the folder and loaded it then I hit file - load outfit - browse and dropped the next file into it.

Once all parts are in highlight them all and also turn on wire frame mode so you can see. Rotate them so that they are facing the right direction and rotated as close to straight up as you can. 

Now zoom out so that you can see everything better and go to shape - scale shape and scale to either 8 or 9 check and see how big they got to decide if one of those is fine or if you need to go bigger.

Adjust and fine tune the rotating. Adjust the body to fit and once you got it close go to bone tab and select the bones then go select the 2 pieces and select shape - copy selected bone weights then shape - transfer selected bone weights and export with reference so that the body you adjusted to fit is added to the outfit. 

Close outfit studios and then start it again and select the nif and load it, and use the mesh increase decrease mesh buttons to try to remove clipping and mold the outfit to the body better once it looks good and you have exported it you can then add texture paths to it using the texture files in the rar/zip.

Spoiler

Untitled.pngUntitled.pngUntitled.png

If something has pant legs and sleeves you have to first load a file into blender and then export a body out of outfit studios in .OBJ and load it into blender and see what position it is in then back in outfit studios rotate the body some and export again and try again and keep doing this till you get it rotated and facing the right way and now you have a file to use when you have to fit sleeves and pants to the skyrim body pose.

So load a .XPS file that has sleeves or pants or both and load it up and delete out the stuff not needed. Hit import and select .OBJ and select the skyrim body and load it. Click on the body and hit s and move the mouse to start to scale the body down.  Next click the + by armature and get the drop down and go to pose and select it the bones should become colorize. Click one of the arm bones by the shoulder and then hit R and move the mouse to move it's position once in a good spot go to the other one and repeat.

Rotate outfit and look at arm positions and rotate so you are looking at the side of the model and select the arm bone again and hit R again and move mouse and look till it looks alright with less amount of clipping. Once everything is in position delete out all parts but 1 piece and export it then undo delete and delete out everything but a new piece and export it out and repeat till all parts have been exported out. Warning do not delete the rigging or the posed outfit will revert back to its original pose.

Spoiler

Untitled.pngUntitled.pngUntitled.pngUntitled.png

The first question I had was - hey, stop, but how do You reshape hands and legs of outfit mesh to fit Skyrim's T-piose in OS? and then I understood which type of "armor" it intended for... :D But actually pretty useful for accesories and headgear.

Thx for guide anyway, I think I should try OS to avoid annoying Blender-to-Skyrim export issues. :)

Your welcome

When porting outfits and stuff from oblivion to skyrim you have to first run the outfit through Grerra6's pose converter this will change the pose from oblivion t pose to skyrim's pose same goes for porting outfits from fallout 3/NV you first have to run them through the pose converter to change the pose. Third paragraph has the info on using the pose converter before porting things to skyrim.

If a body clips too bad you can try zapping the body parts in outfit studio to remove the mesh permanently from the mesh. Or you can try making the body as you go. Meaning check and see what is good and what is to big then reduce that body part making it in body slide and check it and do that till you  get the right size. So you just have to get the edge of say a boot formed around the leg then zap the the bodies legs to remove them without having to do anything to the boots works really good for when the boots or gloves are really small trying to form them would just make them look like lumpy ass shit.

I have some bodies made and just try one body to see how it looks if it's too small I'll try the bigger one. You can also move the outfit around to get a better fit then using the add or reduce to expand or reduce a spot. ATM most of my ports from oblivion are being done with the UNPCM _0 and _1 bodies and they fit pretty dang good other bodies seem to match with the UNPCM body as well. Like ZKEC.

post-25667-0-13215100-1456787437_thumb.jpgpost-25667-0-16565800-1456787448_thumb.jpgpost-25667-0-74545500-1456787458_thumb.jpgpost-25667-0-23136500-1456787473_thumb.jpg

Also found out that if something doesn't have a BSDismemberSkinInstance or NiSkinInstance to export that sucker in OBJ format then export with reference from outfit studio and it'll add to it for you. So now you can add whatever the hell you want to a nif without ever having to use blender or 3dmax to add those things to them. As long as the nif is set up the correct way.

post-25667-0-09592100-1456788297_thumb.jpg

For hands you would have to use bender or 3dmax same goes for heels shoes you can shrink the feet in spots to remove any clipping.

I could never get bender to work so I use the clothing converter for converting mesh rigger for adding bounce to clothing as well as cleaning nif up of junk that's not suppose to be there like if you port fallout nifs and outfit studio for porting outfit studio also has some imitation bodies that are suppose to be imitations of other bodies like HGEC and so forth. It is pretty surprising how close many bodies are from one game to the next with minor tweaking needed.

ATM now that I got the BSDismemberSkinInstance thing figured out I'm working on a tentacle wrapped around a horse dick that is attached to the player in outfit studio. Fun times indeed.  :)

I just did some testing and have found out that this technique also works for fallout 4 nif though there are a few added things to do to get it to work. First you need the NifSkope 2.0 Pre-Alpha 4 also note that fallout 4 and skyrim poses are different so this can only work for stuff that has no arm items like bikini's. We will have to wait till the pose converter is updated to support fallout 4 and then be able to change the pose.

I have the nifskope 2.0 unzipped into a folder on the desktop so that it doesn't mess up my real nifskope. Drop the nif you want to work on into the nifskope folder now open nifskope 2.0 and drag that nif onto the screen let go and wait for it to load.

Now you need to note how many pieces are in the nif. If the outfit has a body a outfit and so forth you will have to first delete the body out of the nif then save. Next you need to make copies of the nif matching how many items are in the nif. So if there are 5 pieces in the nif you will need 5 copies of the nif. This is because when you try to export from NifSkope 2.0 it will give you a *No ninode, nitrishape, or nitristrip is selected. Entire scene will be exported.*

You do not want this as all this will do when you try to export whole things is make a pile of crap in outfit studio as all it will do is explode into a pile of stretchy mesh.

So to prevent this you need to make multiple copies and for each copy you have to delete out everything but one piece. Once that is done load each nif one at a time into nifskope 2.0 and export OBJ next load them into outfit studio export out now you can load them into the normal nifskope so go ahead and join them all into one nif. Load the joined nif back into outfit studio and start tinkering away. You may or may not have to do some zapping to things to work. This is my first test report.

Fallout 4 port success. 

post-25667-0-01397300-1457035770_thumb.jpgpost-25667-0-73757100-1457035824_thumb.jpg

For this one to work I did the normal export then joining then resizing. Next I made copies of the nif. Named 2 boot and rings one top and rings and last lower and rings. Load each one into outfit studio 1 at a time and zap everything but what was named on the nif. After that I took the newly built ones and joined all of the cut parts into one nif.

Next readjusted each piece to somewhat close adjusted breast size. Once everything was somewhat close I clicked on the body and used the decrease mesh volume to remove the clipping then exported the new version (do not overwrite your original you will need it) make a new copy with new name. Take the clipping removed version and place it into the clothing converter target folder.

Make a copy of it and in the copy delete out the armor pieces and then save as this will be your from template body. Now make a copy of your original without the clipping removed and place that in your to folder and then delete the armor out of it this will be your to template.

Run it through the clothing converter and the outfit will convert really nice. (Note only use the body from before clipping was removed otherwise the outfit will have warppage.

There is minor clipping on the inside of the boot straps but this is better then nothing and that clipping can be fixed easy.

• 2 weeks later...
I found this nice little thing for exporting things from fallout 4 oblivion or just a .OBJ file. If you try to export the whole contents of a nif and then try to load it into outfit studio it will be a big pile a stretched mess some .OBJ's have this as well.

I found a way to fix that. Export the whole file from the nif take that .OBJ file and go to this site here. 

Place your .OBJ file into the upload box then hit the arrow to upload it once it's uploaded hit next and on the next page select collada - .DAE and convert the .OBJ to DAE once it's done take that file and throw it right back in again and convert it right back to .OBJ. Now you can load the new OBJ into outfit studio without it bowing up into a pile of stretched mess. Also works with other .OBJ files as well. Thought I would pass this info along if no one knew about it or new of a easy way to do it.

*Edit

Seems the export whole thing from a nif at one time has been fixed with the newest update for some items oblivion still needs to have each piece exported one at a time. The site above is still good if you have a file that needs to be converted to the correct file type as long as it is a supported one.

• 3 months later...

Transferred from my other thread on the other site before it gets closed.

micropanther

Thank you for the tutorial, it was really helpful :)  I've run into a bit of a problem though, probably something obvious I'm missng!  The outfit shows fine in Nifskope and Outfit Studio, but the mesh is invisible when I add it to the Creation Kit.  Thank you for any help :)

myuhinny

Your welcome glad it helped.

Is it invisible in all directions? I have had it before where items would be invisible at different angles and distance from the model. It might have to do with the texture file. Does it have a _n.dds file? If not you might have to make one not sure on how to do it as I have never done it.

micropanther

Thanks for your help Myuhinny :)  Completely invisible, I just see the body.  Yeah all pieces do, I added the textures manually in Outfit Studio, and textures showing fine in there.  I also checked the texture paths in Nifskope as well.  I had this problem before and fixed it, but can't remember how lol.  It might be a step in mesh rigger settings that I'm missing... I'm wondering if flipping normals would work?  I'm sure I read somewhere that someone else had a similar issue and the faces were all the wrong way and was invisible. Will get back to you on that :)

I have never added the textures to something with outfit studio I have always added them later after the outfit was formed and the bone nodes added using nifskope.

Flipped items are usually easy to see when a item is untextured and will usually have a dark grey/black look on parts when you rotate it around.

Also not all things look the way they are suppose to look when you look at them in outfit studio. The 2 pictures I just showed show a outfit with no NiAlphaProperty added to the mesh to make certain parts transparent. In outfit studio if the NiAlphaProperty was added to the mesh and it had transparency in nifskope in outfit studio it wouldn't show the transparency but if you don't add the NiAlphaProperty then in outfit studio the outfit will show the transparent areas.

post-25667-0-71334400-1467939278_thumb.jpgpost-25667-0-20805600-1467939290_thumb.jpgpost-25667-0-95207600-1467939298_thumb.jpg

Your welcome the new.loverslab is still there but will be gone after the 10th of July which is why I copied everything over before that happened otherwise the posts would be gone after the 10th.

Bone nodes need to be added either with outfit studio by opening outfit studio selecting new project select your body type then select your armor/outfit nif. Next highlight all armor pieces then switch to the bone node tab and highlight all bone nodes. Next click on shape - copy selected weights then shape - transfer selected weights. 

The other way is to use Gerra6's mesh rigger and add bone nodes from one template body to a different nif. Which is found in the modders resources section of LL.

Pasting bone nodes into a nif using nifskope is only used if you are trying to paste something into a nif but a missing bone node error is preventing it. The reason is when you paste a bone node into a nif using nifskope it gets attached to Jack shit. Like if you were to paste breast nodes into a nif all it does is get added to the nif but you will not have breast bounce because the node isn't attached to the breasts.

• 11 months later...

@ Myuhinny Thank you for providing this tutorial. I did my first conversion today with fair success. Had problems trying to figure out how to use the programs as some of your instructions were a it vague on on the exact procedures.  Also had problems try to get the CK to accept the conversions that were run through the the mesh rigger. The third time around I didn't use it but went directly thru OS and it worked. The one I am using has no slider so isn't adjustable but does work in the game. Will do another run to try to make the outfit that will adjust. And the material is very shiny like latex and appears thick like a rubber instead of cloth. Is this normal for an OB to Sky conversion? The file is exported with a material file, .MTL. Is this used in the process? I don't see where it is used and that might be a part that I need to make the outfit appear as cloth instead of rubber and reduce the shininess. Your thoughts?

.MTL file is for blender and isn't needed for outfit studio's only the .OBJ file is needed. It depends on the mesh that you are exporting and how it was made if they are shiny in oblivion they'll be shiny looking in skyrim. Some stuff that was ported from other games will have a shiny look to them in oblivion and it'll be there in skyrim as well. You could try adjusting the glossiness float in a nif under BSLightingShaderProperty found in the block details list to see if that'll fix it some. I also use the older nifskope and not the newest one they use for fallout 4.

I have also been porting stuff that I have found over on deviant art that are in .XPS - generic item mesh - generic item mesh iscii using blender and with these they already have rigging so it makes it a tiny bit easier adjusting the arms and legs of a outfit to the skyrim body and then exporting the file parts out.

post-25667-0-77560100-1499017212_thumb.pngpost-25667-0-22527000-1499017222_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...

@Sorceress99

The the C mesh piece has no bone nodes in the A20 Witch Dress_1.nif you can tell this by loading the nif up into nifskope and get nothing but a black screen which means everything in the nif has weight painting but one or more things. Rerun it through outfit studios. Also note that I see a item has the sceneroot name you might want to change that name as it might also cause the nif you crash your game and CK.

Black weight painting screen of death.

post-25667-0-55958300-1500828225_thumb.png

I will look at the A20 again. Right now I have a problem getting the Divine Boots in my mod to appear in the game.  Would you please look at it for me. The outfits are ported from OB. As you can see the Teddy Set is all one piece from OB but I wanted to separate them. In the Teddy set they are fine but if I separate them the Jumper Set appears but the boot won't. I am thinking that the boots have some link to the jumper but I can't find it. Hoping you could look and see where the problem is. My Edhildil Dominatrix Boots are also invisible in game and were ported over from OB and are part of a set. 

Sorry about the file size. Didn't know it was that big. Lot of extra textures I will delete when I post the mod.

Divine Lingerie.7z

post-3295-0-75443200-1500904859_thumb.jpg

@Sorceress99

The the C mesh piece has no bone nodes in the A20 Witch Dress_1.nif you can tell this by loading the nif up into nifskope and get nothing but a black screen which means everything in the nif has weight painting but one or more things. Rerun it through outfit studios. Also note that I see a item has the sceneroot name you might want to change that name as it might also cause the nif you crash your game and CK.

Black weight painting screen of death.

Looks like I got that fix as the outfit is working. Wanted to make sure it was't something I was missing.

post-3295-0-14191200-1500905776_thumb.jpg

This is irritating me to no end. I tried to add just a pair of boots from a mod of shoes that aren't part of a set and still they are invisible in the game. I can load them in the CK, view them in Nifskope, Bodyslide and OS but they wont appear in the game. I not having problems with the clothing, just footwear. My character changes shape as if wearing them.  WTF?

@Sorceress99

When you add something to the game you must check under the BSDismemberSkinInstance - Partitions and change the slot to match the slot in the CK. Boots you wouldn't want the slot set as SBP_32_BODY as they are right now you would want them set as SBP_37_FEET if you do not do this it'll think there are no feet in the boots and it'll add feet when you wear them and they'll clip through the boot. Now in the CK you must add the same slot to the armor and armor addon and then attach the armor addon to the armor or it'll appear invisible in game.

@Sorceress99

When you add something to the game you must check under the BSDismemberSkinInstance - Partitions and change the slot to match the slot in the CK. Boots you wouldn't want the slot set as SBP_32_BODY as they are right now you would want them set as SBP_37_FEET if you do not do this it'll think there are no feet in the boots and it'll add feet when you wear them and they'll clip through the boot. Now in the CK you must add the same slot to the armor and armor addon and then attach the armor addon to the armor or it'll appear invisible in game.

Wow, Thanks. That was it. I wasn;t aware of the partitions. That fixed several issue I was having. 

Your welcome you can also if you want click on say the boots and then right click the BSDismemberSkinInstance line and go to block - convert - NiSkinInstance by doing this it'll remove the partitions from the boots and the boots or whatever will use whatever slot/slots you picked in the CK for the armor and armor addon. Also make sure to do it to both nifs if you have a _0 and _1 nif.

• 7 months later...
On 2/29/2016 at 5:26 PM, myuhinny said:

When porting outfits and stuff from oblivion to skyrim you have to first run the outfit through Grerra6's pose converter this will change the pose from oblivion t pose to skyrim's pose same goes for porting outfits from fallout 3/NV you first have to run them through the pose converter to change the pose.

Is there a standalone version of this tool that does NOT use Blender? After 3 tries I gave up trying to install Blender- I can't find any place that lists all of the various piece-parts (prerequisites?) of Blender that have to be separately installed, and some of the "tutorials" say inscrutable stuff like "Install Python if required" without bothering to explain what it is, what it's for and/or how one would know if it was required or not- rendering the instructions useless.

Alternatively, is there a standalone tool similar to Ousnius's amazing Nif Optimizer that will do the job of changing Oblivion's T-pose to Skyrim's "idle pose?" Or maybe some way to convert Oblivion meshes without the need for a separate T-pose eliminator...

The pose converter is the only one that I have heard of and I don't think any of their tools have ever worked with the oblivion nifs without crashing. Other then using a 3d tool to change the pose like 3d max or blender.

1. Install Python 3.4 https://www.python.org/download/releases/3.4.0/ (64 bit recommended if you are working with very large nifs).

2. Install Pyffi 3K http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyffi/files/pyffi-py3k/

When I found Gerra6's tools I had blender already set up and working which took me awhile to do. Not sure what else is needed as it's been quite awhile since I installed blender.

https://www.wikihow.com/Install-Blender

You don't have to use the pose converter on everything like if something is a bikini then you will not have to use the pose converter on it

• 1 year later...