HELP! HDT-based Followers Going Invisible.

C5Kev

Not really an "Adult" issue, but hope someone can help me figure something out. Lately, my followers keep going invisible. Not getting "lost" per se, going invisible. Often when going into a new cell, the follower would be visible, then fade out. They're still there...can have a dialogue, I just can't see them.

I use BodySlide to create my UUNP HDT characters and wonder if it had issues (which I doubt), but I also thought I read something somewhere about (for the lack of a better description) poorly written HDT files may be causing problems. One would think that if followers go invisible due to HDT, my character would as well, but that doesn't happen. So, IDK.  ???

BTW, this happens with "clean" saves. I have Script Cleaner / Save Tool and Scalpel to look at Papyrus logs and find no unattached scripts, etc. Now, after this happens, I check saves with Save Tool, which finds nothing, then use Scalpel. Scalpel seems to do something though, because it seems to fix "something" (although no unattached scripts are found) and followers return. But in time, it starts all over again.

Anyone have any idea as to why this would be happening? It's very annoying and don't know where else to look for problems.

This seems to be a common issue that is caused by HDT. I have this problem constantly if I use HDT armor or clothes. I then had to remove the HDT object vagina from some followers because it was causing problems with them. It seems unless I'm getting a perfect 60 fps, it causes problems.

I've been going through all my stuff and slowly getting rid of HDT stuff. Bouncing tits aren't worth the amount of problems it causes.

Bouncing tits aren't worth the amount of problems it causes.

OMG, bite your tongue!  Non-bouncy tits is like a day without sunshine! LOL!

Ahhh, you might be on to something there. Might be why the "All-In-One" vag body was taken down - but just guessing. I don't recall having any HDT prob's before, but I did add that and my latest follower has a vag body as well. Maybe the HDTvag xml file is doing weird things. Guess I'll start there. Hope it's not due to armor and clothes!

Thanks Sidereel for the tip.  Good to know that it's not just my game(s).

It happens if your processor isn't up to handling the amount of threading needed.

Never had this happen, even in Riften or Solitude because when Skyrim/SKSE runs, it's dedictaed two on of two CPUs on the motherboard.

The reason scalpel works is because it's resetting Havok to a default state before the heap allocation is out of bounds. Try setting your heap allocation to double what is now in your ini, and yes badly written xmls can make the problem worse.

It happens if your processor isn't up to handling the amount of threading needed.

Never had this happen, even in Riften or Solitude because when Skyrim/SKSE runs, it's dedictaed two on of two CPUs on the motherboard.

The reason scalpel works is because it's resetting Havok to a default state before the heap allocation is out of bounds. Try setting your heap allocation to double what is now in your ini, and yes badly written xmls can make the problem worse.

Interesting. Well, you're assuming I know what you're talking about  LOL!  I don't know about the threading amount or how to check that. I have an older 2.66 Quad with all cores unparked. Are you referring to Skyrim ini or Prefs?  All I see in my Skyrim.ini file (regarding Havok)  is 

[HAVOK]

iNumThreads=4

bHavokDebug=0

fMaxTime=0.0157

bDebugMultithreaded=0

Sorry, i was a little slower than the other children, so...   :)

I'm interested in this too. I know its bc I only get 40 fps (I'm running 245 mods so that's good enough for me lol) so the npcs disappear from time to time. I will try doubling my heap. Research time! ^_^

So how does one double their heap? 

I'm interested in this too. I know its bc I only get 40 fps (I'm running 245 mods so that's good enough for me lol) so the npcs disappear from time to time. I will try doubling my heap. Research time! ^_^

Thats what I'm trying to find out now while doing a number of things (animating and modding at the moment lol) if I find out I will let you know of course.

Thats what I'm trying to find out now while doing a number of things (animating and modding at the moment lol) if I find out I will let you know of course.

Thanks man. :)   I just started a new game, at Sleeping Giant where my follower is located. Walked outside, she was gone. This is really @@*&$! pissing me off. LOL!

Ok so you know where your SKSE folder is located? In that folder there is a SKSE.INI file open it up and you'll see...

[Memory]

defaultHeapInitialAllocMB=512

scrapHeapSizeMB=256

I'm guessing you make "512" to "768" or you can go higher to "1024" if you don't have one just create one like I had to lol

As I mentioned, I'd started a new  game and changed the SKSE ini. Seemed to be working...then it started again.  And it can't be due to clothes or armor, cuz I'm playing nude just to rule out that aspect.  So IDK where to go now...   Guess since my allocation was at 768, I'll try upping it to 1536 as 27X suggested? 

EDIT:   Well, my game didn't like that! CTD'ed several times. Changed back to 1024, used Scalpel, Follower was there until I went into cave. Bye Bye!  Arrrggh!  :)

As I mentioned, I'd started a new  game and changed the SKSE ini. Seemed to be working...then it started again.  And it can't be due to clothes or armor, cuz I'm playing nude just to rule out that aspect.  So IDK where to go now...   Guess since my allocation was at 768, I'll try upping it to 1536 as 27X suggested? 

EDIT:   Well, my game didn't like that! CTD'ed several times. Changed back to 1024, used Scalpel, Follower was there until I went into cave. Bye Bye!  Arrrggh!  :)

SHIT I made a mistake! I found this quote "The MAX (from what i have read) is 1024, so since the way the SKSE was implemented you would have to add 256. 1280 would net you 1024. The second line (scrap heap)must remain 256." I hope this helps lol

SHIT I made a mistake! I found this quote "The MAX (from what i have read) is 1024, so since the way the SKSE was implemented you would have to add 256. 1280 would net you 1024. The second line (scrap heap)must remain 256." I hope this helps lol

It would appear that none of this makes any diff. anyhow. Well, I'm sure it does, but it doesn't seem to resolve THIS problem LOL!

Oddly, looking through HDTPhysicsExtentions.log - in my case it mentions hdt.xml as not found  - I renamed it cuz collision is nice, but it takes away my bounce and makes boobs much too springy. Especially for larger boobs to look realistic. But I thought maybe it might be an issue, so I re-enabled it.  Collision's are back now, but I just realized I'd made a shitload of new bodies in the interim and didn't add NiStringExtraData to the new _0 & _1 nifs. Huh?  I thought the extra data (Havok Path Info) was needed for the collisions to work.  What the hell is going on?  LOL!!  Actually it's not funny. I really like HDT - hair, earrings, etc., but it's making me angry that I can't find an answer to all this.

So, could BodySlide be, in fact, the culprit - writing bad UUNP-based data somehow?  Guess I'd need to ask Caliente, but anyone wanna chime in?

I just posted in another thread regarding a bunch of HDT problems that I've had for a long time, and the fact that the newest update to ENBoost fixes those problems.

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/58249-boris-solves-hdt-spasmstwitch-and-stretch-issues/

I too had invisible HDT equiped NPCs (YuiH's Freyane was by FAR the most afflicted with this).

I am happy to report that the problem disappeared--along with all the other ones--ENTIRELY, after installing the update that is now on the Nexus hotfiles.

Apparently, memory management was the underlying cause, and the newest ENBoost directly addresses that.

I just posted in another thread regarding a bunch of HDT problems that I've had for a long time, and the fact that the newest update to ENBoost fixes those problems.

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/58249-boris-solves-hdt-spasmstwitch-and-stretch-issues/

I too had invisible HDT equiped NPCs (YuiH's Freyane was by FAR the most afflicted with this).

I am happy to report that the problem disappeared--along with all the other ones--ENTIRELY, after installing the update that is now on the Nexus hotfiles.

Apparently, memory management was the underlying cause, and the newest ENBoost directly addresses that.

LMFAO!  I just responded to your thread!  Not sure how to integrate it into my enblocal as I use RealVision and the guy says not to use ENBoost from Nexus. Of course, that was written a long time ago, so IDK.  Maybe I'll just DL it and see what happens.

Oh man I have been waiting a longggg time for this! Sweet!

Double

That would be havok heap, not active memory.

in SKSE/Plugins:

make a ini file ala:

[simulator]

numThreads = 1

solverBufferSizeInKBs = 12288

solverTau = 0.8

solverDamp = 0.8

solverIterations = 8

solverMicrosteps = 1

enableDeactivation = false

So I'm using an older enbseries since the enb preset I'm using said it required it. Can I update to the newest version without my enb preset crapping out on me? ENBoost  says it requires the newest version of enbseries.

Proper memory partitioning won't work without .303

Kinda curious if this will fix the SMP issues, would be hilarious to have Boris fix HDT's mismanaged memory by accident, but stranger things have happened in Skyrim modding.

Bear in mind you ->DO NOT<- need the entire enboost suite on Nexus.

Did you read that, reread it to make sure.

All you need to do is:

Get .303 and install it.

Go into your ->ALREADY EXISTING<- enblocal.ini and add

[THREADS]

DataSyncMode=1

PriorityMode=1

Don't assume 1 or 0 work best for your system, try 0 and 1 both and see what's best your particular setup.

So I'm using an older enbseries since the enb preset I'm using said it required it. Can I update to the newest version without my enb preset crapping out on me? ENBoost  says it requires the newest version of enbseries.

Proper memory partitioning won't work without .303

Kinda curious if this will fix the SMP issues, would be hilarious to have Boris fix HDT's mismanaged memory by accident, but stranger things have happened in Skyrim modding.

Bear in mind you ->DO NOT<- need the entire enboost suite on Nexus.

Did you read that, reread it to make sure.

All you need to do is:

Get .303 and install it.

Go into your ->ALREADY EXISTING<- enblocal.ini and add

[THREADS]

DataSyncMode=1

PriorityMode=1

Don't assume 1 or 0 work best for your system, try 0 and 1 both and see what's best your particular setup.

OK - someone on another thread said to use this:

[THREADS]

DataSyncMode=2

PriorityMode=3

Since I have no idea what any of this means, which should be used???   Lord, I feel so stupid and helpless. :-/

[THREADS]

DataSyncMode=1

PriorityMode=1

So far, for Intel/Nvidia combinations, the following is working best...

[THREADS]

DataSyncMode=2

PriorityMode=3

The jury is still out on AMD stuff.

For those that are wondering if they can use the newer .303 ENB with their current ENB preset, just make a copy of the ENB files that are currently in your Skyrim directory and set them aside somewhere. Drop the new ones into the game directory, overwriting the old ones.

USE YOUR OLD enblocal.ini FILE!!! Add only the two lines above anywhere in that file.

If your ENB preset no longer functions properly, simply drop the back-up files (the originals) back into your Skyrim directory over-writing the new ones, putting it right back to where it was.

To be honest, I think you'd be better off dumping the ENB preset, getting the newest ENB binary (.303) and getting a different preset that works with it--the advantages of these new changes cannot be over-stated and it is definately worth the effort. I can pretty much assure you that future ENB presets will all be using this newer version, simply because it is far superior to previous versions.

the max ranges are:

0-2 for Sync

0--4 for priority.

As for which should be used, it depends entirely on your hardware . These are actively overriding driver memory settings by data injection and partitioning, you're gonna need to adjust them to YOUR system, and there is no "universal fix". Just like HDT runs different on every system because of how fast resolves occur on that particular system.

So far, for Intel/Nvidia combinations, the following is working best...

[THREADS]

DataSyncMode=2

PriorityMode=3

It's funny you say that because I have two i7s and two titan X's and those setting produce massive stutter while setting both to 1 doesn't, and increases loading speed... for me

There is no "best", and you shouldn't assume as much ever where HDTsays and Boris are concerned.

Archived