Idea: Wet t-shirt functionality

I normally am not one to post ideas, rather trying to figure out how to do them myself, but I know that this is something that would be completely outside my knowledge base.  It seems to me that some of the infrastructure might already exist in the game though...

My idea is basically to utilize the game's existing ability to change the look of an object when it is wet.  A lot of game objects get shiny when it's raining, for example, but shiny isn't the only effect that water has.  I wonder if it would be possible to use that system to instead add a slight layer of transparency (maybe texture swap out?) to clothing items like t-shirts.

Just wanted to throw the idea out there in case anyone gets a notion how it might be pulled off.

At the same time you have to understand that some of the meshes have the body cut down under items so if you apply a see thru affect you may not see a body underneath. It all depends on how the nif is setup (IE if a zap slider was used to remove part of the base body or not as well as if transparency and alpha channels are set up on the clothing meshes inside the nif)...

But it is an interesting idea.

+1 to this.  Using the Starlet Sniper Outfit from the "Commonwealth Shorts" mod and I always thought the white top would look great with this effect in the rain.  Considering the look of the material, it's even lore-friendly.

Just make sure that the effect only applies to specific armor, i.e. it's not a global effect.  No amount of rain should make Combat Armor be transparent, for example.

At the same time you have to understand that some of the meshes have the body cut down under items so if you apply a see thru affect you may not see a body underneath. It all depends on how the nif is setup (IE if a zap slider was used to remove part of the base body or not as well as if transparency and alpha channels are set up on the clothing meshes inside the nif)...

But it is an interesting idea.

That's true... A workaround to that might be to fake the transparency by fading in the naked female texture on the clothing mesh instead of actually making the clothing transparent. Or somehow layering them on the clothing.

Or it could always be possible to go through and make a set of replacers in CBBE with this in mind, so the relevant body mesh was not removed.

Mind, I have no idea how successful any of this would be. Just brainstorming.

• 1 year later...

Archived