FootIK crash.

Try until your most recent one works. :D 

Well, or try to run FNIS again. Sometimes that fixes it for good, or at least for a while. I notice that I do get that crash whenever I add a new NPC and do not run FNIS before starting the game. 

Never mind, I figured it out. I'll just have to live with going to an older save. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I hope someone can help. I just started having this problem. Or should say been having this problem. Just didn't know it till before Crash Fixes. Thing is this was a brand new playthrough and went 8 hours into it. Now it's popping up like crazy. What's worse if I do load the game when I try to zone the game locks up with like it wants to bring up the error message as I the loading/busy mouse cursor. Any advice?

I hope someone can help. I just started having this problem. Or should say been having this problem. Just didn't know it till before Crash Fixes. Thing is this was a brand new playthrough and went 8 hours into it. Now it's popping up like crazy. What's worse if I do load the game when I try to zone the game locks up with like it wants to bring up the error message as I the loading/busy mouse cursor. Any advice?

If you are playing in Windowed Mode via fake fullscreen such as OneTweak or your ENB, just ignroe it when the mouse starts spinning, it just means a background windows program has made Widows aware that things are loading very slowly with this weird "app" and it has probably frozen, when it's just a regular long load time. Leave it for at least a couple of minutes, if you click the mouse or touch the keyboard while it's spinning like this Windows will try to force a reaction from the game which will just crash it, but it hasn't crashed yet, not unless that continues ofr several minutes.

If you are getting very long loading time, your save may have gone corrupt. This just happened to me, because I tried to clean it with a save game cleaner, and it just broke entirely. You may need to revert to before you installed your last mod, uninstalled your last mod or the like, and undo that change and play from there. Or you will have to start a new game, with less intensive mods, particularily constantly updating mods like Aroused, Schlongs of Skyrim, Creature Framework, Wet & Cold or DynDOLOD; a few of these are fine but there's a limit to what the scripting engine can handle, largely determined by how good your processor is in terms of clock speed alone.

Otherwise to fix FootIK crashes, just load another character entirely, like a brand new character in Live Another Life, then load your regular character (if you do not use it open console on main menu after starting game before loading your save, type "coc qasmoke" without quotes, enter racemenu once you arrive in the test cell via showracemenu, change the character's name to "Janitor" or something so you remember the character then load that character before you think you would get FootIK crashes, then load your regular save).

In my experience even with a very heavy game this mainly happens if I cahnge my game somehow, including just changing a texture or fixing a bug with NPCs. If you rerun something like Wrye Bash or ASIS or even if you shuffle aorund on your load order you may very well get a FootIK crash when you next try to load your save if it is very advanced. Just load a early save "janitor" type character to load up the game world, then load your character, as this is just happening because the game is having issues loading in both your mods, your save information and the game world at once.

If you are playing in Windowed Mode via fake fullscreen such as OneTweak or your ENB, just ignroe it when the mouse starts spinning, it just means a background windows program has made Widows aware that things are loading very slowly with this weird "app" and it has probably frozen, when it's just a regular long load time. Leave it for at least a couple of minutes, if you click the mouse or touch the keyboard while it's spinning like this Windows will try to force a reaction from the game which will just crash it, but it hasn't crashed yet, not unless that continues ofr several minutes.

If you are getting very long loading time, your save may have gone corrupt. This just happened to me, because I tried to clean it with a save game cleaner, and it just broke entirely. You may need to revert to before you installed your last mod, uninstalled your last mod or the like, and undo that change and play from there. Or you will have to start a new game, with less intensive mods, particularily constantly updating mods like Aroused, Schlongs of Skyrim, Creature Framework, Wet & Cold or DynDOLOD; a few of these are fine but there's a limit to what the scripting engine can handle, largely determined by how good your processor is in terms of clock speed alone.

Otherwise to fix FootIK crashes, just load another character entirely, like a brand new character in Live Another Life, then load your regular character (if you do not use it open console on main menu after starting game before loading your save, type "coc qasmoke" without quotes, enter racemenu once you arrive in the test cell via showracemenu, change the character's name to "Janitor" or something so you remember the character then load that character before you think you would get FootIK crashes, then load your regular save).

In my experience even with a very heavy game this mainly happens if I cahnge my game somehow, including just changing a texture or fixing a bug with NPCs. If you rerun something like Wrye Bash or ASIS or even if you shuffle aorund on your load order you may very well get a FootIK crash when you next try to load your save if it is very advanced. Just load a early save "janitor" type character to load up the game world, then load your character, as this is just happening because the game is having issues loading in both your mods, your save information and the game world at once.

Looks like reinstalling XPSME and running FNIS got rid of it for the time being. Cause I was able to load the game and created a new save. It loaded with no error and even got rid of the cursor issue I was reporting from loading. I'll keep you guys apprised if it starts again. I do know it seems more common when you have female companions with you when you have FNIS. Cause I had Sofia in my last failed playthrough attempt and that was apparently causing the same crash. Which right now I have my female Paladin Kara, Erik the Slayer and Toccata.

Yes I do have OneTweak so it does run in Window Mode. Before I had it in Full screen and when it crashed it was near impossible to GTFO of Skyrim without signing out of Windows 10. My loading times are about 10-15 seconds give or take cause of the ENB preset I'm using. Takes a bit longer to render the area when I zone. I can live with it cause it makes my game look so good.

I have right now for specs:

Processor: i5-4690k 3.5 Ghz

Ram: 8GB DDR3 Ram

GPU: Zotac GTX 970

Next week actually buying a new motherboard and case. So I get better ventilation and can finally overclock my processor. I may end up going back to Windows 7 64-bit though. Found out from Microsoft that my free Windows 10 upgrade that I got last fall will expire when I change motherboards. Which may help with enblocal as I can allocate more then 4gb system memory. Not sure though yet. Either way going to need to get a OEM copy of Windows for new motherboard. If I have the spare $ which is a big if I may buy a SSD finally as well.

post-1016637-0-08108800-1472207960_thumb.jpg

1b965d7f173858f3b1eb18ec63c0f1fb.jpg

is it Skeleton problem? skeleton.hkx or .nif? or FNIS ?

i have

Skeleton(hkx) female: XPMS2HDT (115 bones) male: XPMS2HDT (115 bones)

2871 animations for 13 mods successfully included (character)

I believe it is the FNIS. Cause rerunning FNIS usually fixes it for me. At least for a bit. Problem as they say in this thread. It seems to be very fickle and hard to reproduce. I seem to encounter it shortly after adding something to my load order or could be coincidence. Also if you have female companions it seems to have a higher chance. God help me when I have Serana with me all throughout Dawnguard.

i have

I believe it is the FNIS. Cause rerunning FNIS usually fixes it for me. At least for a bit. Problem as they say in this thread. It seems to be very fickle and hard to reproduce. I seem to encounter it shortly after adding something to my load order or could be coincidence. Also if you have female companions it seems to have a higher chance. God help me when I have Serana with me all throughout Dawnguard.

Rerunning FNIS is pointless. It is just failing loading your character, so load another character, like start a new game, then immediately bring up the menu and load your character, and it will work, there is no point at all to rerunning FNIS because this is not a FNIS problem.

i have

Rerunning FNIS is pointless. It is just failing loading your character, so load another character, like start a new game, then immediately bring up the menu and load your character, and it will work, there is no point at all to rerunning FNIS because this is not a FNIS problem.

So running FNIS was just a coincidence then :( This FootIK has been the only thing plaguing me every so often. Just afraid at a point it's just going to fail to load up my character regardless of what I do :(

Guys, get alternative start mod and follow those steps: launch skyrim -> new game -> spam enter and R till you end the racemenu ... menu, then esc, load, select the save you actually wanted to load in the first place. This 100% eliminates footik crashes as well as others not event detected by the crash fixes mod. That is, they won't happen when you use this procedure to load your game. Anytime you load from the main menu you got a ... i'd say 70% chance in my case that it will crash on load one way or another.

Guys, get alternative start mod and follow those steps: launch skyrim -> new game -> spam enter and R till you end the racemenu ... menu, then esc, load, select the save you actually wanted to load in the first place. This 100% eliminates footik crashes as well as others not event detected by the crash fixes mod. That is, they won't happen when you use this procedure to load your game. Anytime you load from the main menu you got a ... i'd say 70% chance in my case that it will crash on load one way or another.

In my experience in a basically stable game - that is with relatively few ongoing constant effects and scripts - I only get this if I make significant changes to my load order, or to textures that I am actually looking at as I save, such as my character's skin texture. In these cases, loading the Alternative Start character (which I save and name him Janitor and then load him every time; it's faster to load him like that after character creation than to go through racemenu every time) once will fix it and I can just load my regular character every time until I again make changes.

On the other hand with an unstable game, with a lot of thigns updating at once and multiple constant scripts running, such as if using mods like Lover's Comfort, DynDOLOD, Vivid Weathers, Wet & Cold, and so on, yeah it's going to happen almost every time I try to load my character. So I don't use such mods any longer.

In my experience in a basically stable game - that is with relatively few ongoing constant effects and scripts - I only get this if I make significant changes to my load order, or to textures that I am actually looking at as I save, such as my character's skin texture. In these cases, loading the Alternative Start character (which I save and name him Janitor and then load him every time; it's faster to load him like that after character creation than to go through racemenu every time) once will fix it and I can just load my regular character every time until I again make changes.

On the other hand with an unstable game, with a lot of thigns updating at once and multiple constant scripts running, such as if using mods like Lover's Comfort, DynDOLOD, Vivid Weathers, Wet & Cold, and so on, yeah it's going to happen almost every time I try to load my character. So I don't use such mods any longer.

Heh, for me it wouldn't be worth playing if I didn't have all my goodies. IMO it's a small price to pay ^^

Heh, for me it wouldn't be worth playing if I didn't have all my goodies. IMO it's a small price to pay ^^

Yeah about that. The last time I had such heavy mods installed I could maybe play 30-45 minutes at a time, before I had to restart the game, this was some 30 or so hours into the game of course, with a lot of stuff done in the game and my character getting fairly advanced. When I ran a papyrus on that it usually ended up in the 10 MB plus range (highest papyrus log I hit with such a setup was 1 gb). If I wanted to resume the game, I had to go via the Janitor guy.

I just ran a 5 hour play session that I quit because I just had to fix something. Papyrus log was 176.69 kb. When I went back into the game, which is still has 2 New Lands mods, and in total 200 plugins and maybe 400 or so mods installed, including plenty of sex mods and some 300+ animations, 4k graphics, heavy ENB and HDT bodies, I could just click Continue, and it works 100 % certainty, even though I updated a mod between that.

So yeah, you can decide what is more important to you yourself...

Attached the log, and here's a screenie from the sex scene near the end of it;

90742583_20160828132206_1.jpg

HDT Animated Vag + SOS, plus graphics. (Sorry about the fucking ads, didn't know when I uplaoded, just adblock and skip.)

Papyrus.0.log

Interesting. Out of curiosity I'll check my papyrus logs size for a normal play.... once I fix this blasted no animations issue.

I wanted to add estrus chaurus+ and BYTION_FunnyBiz_SLAL_PACKS(FULL).... had to replace xpms with xpmse for estrus chaurus and update FNIS for the pack.  

Now sexlab has no animations whatsoever and papyrus log is showing me.... mind bogling errors for SexLabQuestAnimations.

Those 3 are repeating for thousands of lines.

Error: Static function StringSplit not found on object PapyrusUtil. Aborting call and returning None

Error: Array index -4 is out of range (0-15)

Error: Static function ClampInt not found on object PapyrusUtil. Aborting call and returning None

I removed the anim pack,  ran fnis for users, gave no errors as usual, and I do have papyrusUtil v32 and it's not overwritten by anything. So yeah, I need to look into this nightmare.

P.S. It would be highly impractical for me to use a janitor save since I have a autosaving mod which creates a new save every 5 minutes and I keep a long history so finding a janitor save takes longer than the 3-4 sec to end racemenu.

Sometimes I had to rollback as much as 3-4 hours of play after adding a mod that seemed fine initially but had hidden crippling flaws. And I really hate having to redo 10-20-30min of play because of a ctd.

My Janitor file that is based in the test cell which you pointed out has helped a lot with my Paladin failing to load at times. So now I just load him up first then her.

Fore wrote me^

Often. When i am  trying to load a save. Win7x64 pro 4Gb

I wrote that, I do not have HD textures etc .. I think it is a skeleton or HDT+.xml settings (for HDT skeleton).

No. It's a SKYRIM BUG . . . SKYRIM BUG . . . SKYRIM BUG. Why do people have such a hard time to accept that REAL cause?

And what is "often"? With a similar configuration (Win7, 4GB, 3000 animations) 3 years ago I also had an approximate 50% load CTD rate. That was usual. Especially with a lot of background programs (lots of browser tabs, CK). 2 things greatly changed that:
- SKSE memory patch. Do you REALLY a proper SKSE.ini for that?
- Proper Win 7 memory settings. The following guide's last chaper ("Change the size of virtual memory") is important.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15055/windows-7-optimize-windows-better-performance#1TC=windows-7

I noticed this FootIK crash will only start appearing when I updated FNIS behavior files in mid gameplay. I always make saves in coc unownedcell and then teleport back to the location with Portal mod - link: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/29447/?

You can also use Teleporation Spell mod http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/14947/?

Loading save from a cell where there are no NPCs will always guarantee you to bypass FootIK crash.

Fore wrote me^

I wrote that, I do not have HD textures etc .. I think it is a skeleton or HDT+.xml settings (for HDT skeleton).

No. It's a SKYRIM BUG . . . SKYRIM BUG . . . SKYRIM BUG. Why do people have such a hard time to accept that REAL cause?

And what is "often"? With a similar configuration (Win7, 4GB, 3000 animations) 3 years ago I also had an approximate 50% load CTD rate. That was usual. Especially with a lot of background programs (lots of browser tabs, CK). 2 things greatly changed that:

- Proper Win 7 memory settings. The following guide's last chaper ("Change the size of virtual memory") is important.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15055/windows-7-optimize-windows-better-performance#1TC=windows-7

Maybe to name the bug "footIK bug" leads to wrong suspicions. But as Nepros and others similar 'workarounds' work (for me and most), the conclusion seems obvious, that it's nothing with load order or maliscious skeletons - but the way how the program itself

handles loading or writing data into memory.

Maybe one day some clever programmer will find the difference - why direct loading doesn't work but loading from within the game of the same save works - and he will write a skse plugin that simulates this 'two steps' loading process.

It seems to be a problem simply related to the size of the save file or how the program reads this file and it get's stuck during reading process. If you start a new game certain data seems to be loaded first - and if you load the save in a second step some data seems already to be in memory and so it works. 

In my opinion this means - data (of the save file) isn't corrupt (otherwise it would crash too, if you load from inside the game), it's the reading process itself that isn't working well.

Must be a problem of data allocation - and shure you may reduce the risk of encounter the bug by reducing the amount of data. But this is trying to avoid the bug, it is not that it was eliminted. 

I noticed this FootIK crash will only start appearing when I updated FNIS behavior files in mid gameplay. I always make saves in coc unownedcell and then teleport back to the location with Portal mod - link: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/29447/?

You can also use Teleporation Spell mod http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/14947/?

Loading save from a cell where there are no NPCs will always guarantee you to bypass FootIK crash.

Fore wrote me^

Maybe to name the bug "footIK bug" leads to wrong suspicions. But as Nepros and others similar 'workarounds' work (for me and most), the conclusion seems obvious, that it's nothing with load order or maliscious skeletons - but the way how the program itself

handles loading or writing data into memory.

Maybe one day some clever programmer will find the difference - why direct loading doesn't work but loading from within the game of the same save works - and he will write a skse plugin that simulates this 'two steps' loading process.

It seems to be a problem simply related to the size of the save file or how the program reads this file and it get's stuck during reading process. If you start a new game certain data seems to be loaded first - and if you load the save in a second step some data seems already to be in memory and so it works. 

In my opinion this means - data (of the save file) isn't corrupt (otherwise it would crash too, if you load from inside the game), it's the reading process itself that isn't working well.

Must be a problem of data allocation - and shure you may reduce the risk of encounter the bug by reducing the amount of data. But this is trying to avoid the bug, it is not that it was eliminted. 

My thoughts exactly. Well written.

Fore wrote me^

We recommend that you don't disable or delete the paging file.

I have 16 GB RAM and disabled the pagefile. I only thought you needed virtual memory back in the day when you had 512 MB/1024 MB RAM or something along those lines.

You are exactly correct about what you are saying, and I have actually already thought of such a solution and I suggested a SKSE plugin to do exactly that about a year before Crash Fixes was even released to two knowledgable scripters (authors of popular mods and plugins) and got turned down because they had never run into such a crash on load and so saw no use in such a plugin. I have no idea what kind of baby-clean games those guys run.

With this now obviously being a thing not just in my head, I sent the exact same plugin idea - do the two-steps thing in the background, basically loading in a level 1 character and the game world before you even get to the main menu - to meh321, author of crash fixes and co author of PapyrusUtil, we'll see how or if he responds.

Note that if this does turn into a thing and is possible to do, the inevitable result will be that initially starting the game up and getting to the main menu will take longer, but loading your save will be a lot simpler and much more guaranteed not to crash on you then. You'll just have to decide if you want to load in your Janitor yourself, or let a plugin do it, becuase it's likely going to take the same amount of time.

i have exactly same problem :/ but i found out that when i use Estrus for skyrim i getting footik error like 80% times, and even if i manage to load game without footik error i cant save it anyway so it's probably connected somehow, without estrus for skyrim game is playable sometimes i get footik error but very rarely and i can save game without any problems :) i really want to use estrus for skyrim + estrus mimics but i have no idea how to fix it. I hope someone will find a solution.

Fore wrote me^

We recommend that you don't disable or delete the paging file.

I have 16 GB RAM and disabled the pagefile. I only thought you needed virtual memory back in the day when you had 512 MB/1024 MB RAM or something along those lines.

Assuming everything is programmed correctly, that is true. I'm not a programmer, but I remember there are a few programs out there that wouldn't launch or would crash because they expected virtual memory to be available. That was years ago and I assume programmers are smarter than that now.

But for me, the main reason to leave a paging file is for crashes. If windows crashes, you need to have the page file enabled to write a crash dump. Rarely important, but if something does bring down my computer I like to find out why.

Honestly, in this age of cheap storage there's no reason to touch the virtual memory settings, except to move it off your boot drive and any SSDs. I have 16Gb ram and a system managed page file. It's set to 16mb min, 3gb max and currently sitting at 1Gb. I'm happy to let windows manage it, because it knows far better than I do about what it needs.

Update; pre-loading the character and game world would not have any effect, its the animation system itself that would have to be pre-loaded, that might help in this, but meh321 does not know enough about the system to do it himself. He would most likely need direct input from Fore or someone to fix it, and last I heard Fore was out.