[mod] [CK2] Dark World: Reborn - Updated 13APR2024

@dewguru If you don't mind me asking: How are you assigning the portrait to your offmap empire? Im asking cause I would like to use something similar in mine and I frankly have no idea how to go about it. If you could just point me to where its being given in your code it would be a great help! 

Still looking good for a release in January, although I'm picturing early next week Monday/Tuesday time frame.

Here's the current change log for the next release. It's unlikely to change much as I'm presently focused on adding items to the Exotic Emporium.

v1.61 (Dark World Reborn)
    - WARNING - THIS UPDATE IS NOT SAVE COMPATIBLE - START A NEW GAME
    - Merchant Republic players can be slavers now too! The third tier of the cellar upgrade for the Palace is a Dungeon Complex. I've added that to the list of buildings to be recognized as valid slavery buildings
    - Added a global flag of Dark_World_Reborn_Present at start-up for mods that want to do a check to see if Dark World Reborn is being used or not
    - Exotic Emporium shopping returns
    - New Exotic Emporium related buildings for other styles (trade post, tribal, nomad) - I believe the way I'm scoping will allow the tradepost to work for Merchant Republic, if not, let me know
    - To reduce decisions - there will now be a 'go shopping' decision, which launches an event where you'll decide to go to the alchemist or emporium
    - New Alchemist potions available - big thanks for some potion ideas from Dem8840
    - Alchemist shopping event has been tweaked - with each visit potentially being different potions that are sold
    - Noxbestia organized a naming standard discussion for traits related to various body parts. Those changes have been incorporated - which is what will make this update require new games (with Noxbestia even providing some code changes to make it easier to adapt)

3 minutes ago, zia said:

@dewguru If you don't mind me asking: How are you assigning the portrait to your offmap empire? Im asking cause I would like to use something similar in mine and I frankly have no idea how to go about it. If you could just point me to where its being given in your code it would be a great help! 

I make Lilith in DWNPCs.txt which is in the event folder. I build her like any other NPC. The difference is in the new_character block where I then make Lilith into the offmap_holder.

At some point, I'll likely make the Governor into either an incubus or succubus, and whenever they pass away or are killed off, I'll have an on_action hook fire up a replacement. So I should be able to keep those to custom images when I do it.

As for Lilith - supposedly the offmap_holder isn't to be included in decisions or stuff like that - so I believe that since I've got her set as immortal, I shouldn't have to worry about her offing herself from boredom. My longest play with her though has only gone about 40 years, so I could just have been lucky so far. If it does look like she offs herself, I may make her a unique trait that is exempt from the whole removing immortality thing.

Hope that helps.

4 minutes ago, dewguru said:

I make Lilith in DWNPCs.txt which is in the event folder. I build her like any other NPC. The difference is in the new_character block where I then make Lilith into the offmap_holder.

At some point, I'll likely make the Governor into either an incubus or succubus, and whenever they pass away or are killed off, I'll have an on_action hook fire up a replacement. So I should be able to keep those to custom images when I do it.

As for Lilith - supposedly the offmap_holder isn't to be included in decisions or stuff like that - so I believe that since I've got her set as immortal, I shouldn't have to worry about her offing herself from boredom. My longest play with her though has only gone about 40 years, so I could just have been lucky so far. If it does look like she offs herself, I may make her a unique trait that is exempt from the whole removing immortality thing.

Hope that helps.

It does, thank you!

4 hours ago, dewguru said:

My current game is 150+ years long and still the same lillith in the offmap pic if that helps  :grin:

20 hours ago, dewguru said:

Do you know how to activate the extended character information? I'd be interested in knowing whether the offspring are legitimately yours or if you've folks cheating on you.

If not press ~ then type in charinfo - hit enter, and it should say something about displaying more information. Then press ~ to close the console window. When you hover over one of your kids, it should indicate somewhere in the extended information if they've a 'real' father other than you. If your wife/lover is pregnant - you can hover over them too and it'll tell you who the father is of the kid in their belly.

Thanks for the response. Yes they are all definitely my own children I've taken special care throughout the game to make sure I wasn't getting cucked haha and I've double checked with charinfo. I don't really understand whats going on because there is one character my main character is having an affair with and all of her male offspring are werewolves.

Edit: an interesting observation, only affairs I have with characters who have never been in my court have male offsrping which are werewolves and female offsrping which have the werewolfbitch modifier, also they are the only ones who have kids with the inbred trait. So maybe that'll give some clues as to whats going on?

2 hours ago, theman221 said:

Thanks for the response. Yes they are all definitely my own children I've taken special care throughout the game to make sure I wasn't getting cucked haha and I've double checked with charinfo. I don't really understand whats going on because there is one character my main character is having an affair with and all of her male offspring are werewolves.

Edit: an interesting observation, only affairs I have with characters who have never been in my court have male offsrping which are werewolves and female offsrping which have the werewolfbitch modifier, also they are the only ones who have kids with the inbred trait. So maybe that'll give some clues as to whats going on?

Your spouse isn't an Alpha Bitch is she? If so - she won't be kicking out werewolves.

And no idea why you'd be getting inbred traits if you're mating with people who aren't dynasty. That sounds more like you've got some other kind of mod conflict issue going on, or perhaps you had a save game and updated a mod that broke things (such as folks who had a game save from pre-1.58 Dark World, would have those save games broken if they updated and tried to resume).

3 minutes ago, dewguru said:

Your spouse isn't an Alpha Bitch is she? If so - she won't be kicking out werewolves.

And no idea why you'd be getting inbred traits if you're mating with people who aren't dynasty. That sounds more like you've got some other kind of mod conflict issue going on, or perhaps you had a save game and updated a mod that broke things (such as folks who had a game save from pre-1.58 Dark World, would have those save games broken if they updated and tried to resume).

Oh the affair I'm having is with my illegitimate daughter (complicated family lol) but it does seem that traits aren't getting registered for characters within the court or dynasty so yea its probably a mod that broke things :frown: and no she doesn't have the alpha bitch modifier. Thanks for the help though!

53 minutes ago, theman221 said:

Oh the affair I'm having is with my illegitimate daughter (complicated family lol) but it does seem that traits aren't getting registered for characters within the court or dynasty so yea its probably a mod that broke things :frown: and no she doesn't have the alpha bitch modifier. Thanks for the help though!

Not that it helps your current situation, but I'll be going through the whole pregnancy and birth trait process again in the future. I've some ideas on tweaks I can make to it in some areas.

As long as we're on werewolves, and I do love them, it's a bit of a pain to get non-dynastic ones around as a werewolf ruler. While this isn't bad for a "we're special as the ruling family because we're werewolves" game, it can make a "werewolf domination" game a bit of a trick to pull off. Is there any chance we could see werewolf bitches having a (low) chance to pass on bitch/omega/werewolf status to their offspring?

Or a county modifier representing several generations of oversexed beastmen and their, ahem, indiscretions running around and affecting the local populace?

1 hour ago, dewguru said:

Not that it helps your current situation, but I'll be going through the whole pregnancy and birth trait process again in the future. I've some ideas on tweaks I can make to it in some areas.

Well if your already planning on making some teaks, I hope you don't mind if I make a suggestion: Add an inheritance chance to the trait that are currently only handled by even. (Namely werewolf). The reason I make this suggestion is in my experience sometimes the events do not fire for NPCs. In the longer games I have played as a werewolf my children inherit normally like your event says they should, the issue is children not in my court.  I have given a werewolf (one of my sons) a county and none of his kids became werewolves. He had 6 kids before the dreaded cancer killed him. (Seriously Paradox needs to tone down the cancer rate... every game with an immortal I get cancer). And that's not the only time I have noticed it. Other werewolves I have granted land to have had similar issues where the trait just doesn't get passed down.  I'm pretty sure its something paradox did to keep the game running smoothly where the npcs do not always get the events. 

Like I said this only seems to occur in courts other than my own. If they are in my court they properly get the trait. And sometimes other courts work fine for awhile. 

I have tested this over and over by landing my kids (easiest source of werewolves) over and over. Gave every county in Ireland and a portion of England out to werewolves, within a generation or two they no longer had the werewolf trait. (Or werewolf bitch/omega).  

2 hours ago, zia said:

Well if your already planning on making some teaks, I hope you don't mind if I make a suggestion: Add an inheritance chance to the trait that are currently only handled by even. (Namely werewolf). The reason I make this suggestion is in my experience sometimes the events do not fire for NPCs. In the longer games I have played as a werewolf my children inherit normally like your event says they should, the issue is children not in my court.  I have given a werewolf (one of my sons) a county and none of his kids became werewolves. He had 6 kids before the dreaded cancer killed him. (Seriously Paradox needs to tone down the cancer rate... every game with an immortal I get cancer). And that's not the only time I have noticed it. Other werewolves I have granted land to have had similar issues where the trait just doesn't get passed down.  I'm pretty sure its something paradox did to keep the game running smoothly where the npcs do not always get the events. 

Like I said this only seems to occur in courts other than my own. If they are in my court they properly get the trait. And sometimes other courts work fine for awhile. 

I have tested this over and over by landing my kids (easiest source of werewolves) over and over. Gave every county in Ireland and a portion of England out to werewolves, within a generation or two they no longer had the werewolf trait. (Or werewolf bitch/omega).  

Are you playing with other mods, or have you editing things yourself that impact the on_birth event?

I only ask this because in my most recent game (the one where it went 40 years before I edited the mod enough that it broke the save file), the neighboring country had NPC werewolves spreading throughout it, and I had to fight off some infiltration in regards to female courtiers becoming bitches. So it was pretty clear it was triggering as expected for the ai in that game.

Of course, I rarely hit more then a few generations deep now in play sessions, so if the game begins to cut down on_actions firing for NPC's in late game scenarios, then I'm not too certain how to directly address that.

19 minutes ago, dewguru said:

Are you playing with other mods, or have you editing things yourself that impact the on_birth event?

I only ask this because in my most recent game (the one where it went 40 years before I edited the mod enough that it broke the save file), the neighboring country had NPC werewolves spreading throughout it, and I had to fight off some infiltration in regards to female courtiers becoming bitches. So it was pretty clear it was triggering as expected for the ai in that game.

Of course, I rarely hit more then a few generations deep now in play sessions, so if the game begins to cut down on_actions firing for NPC's in late game scenarios, then I'm not too certain how to directly address that.

I make my Night Wolves (inspired by your werewolves) a race, rather than trait-based.  :smile:  

48 minutes ago, dewguru said:

I am playing with other mods but none of them affect on_birth. It does only seem to occur later on in games. On thing that MAY assist with it would be to put an inherit chance on the trait (Low, like the same you have for female werewolves). That way even if the game stops firing the on_actions it should still work and produce a few werewolves.   

13 hours ago, Silmarion said:

As long as we're on werewolves, and I do love them, it's a bit of a pain to get non-dynastic ones around as a werewolf ruler. While this isn't bad for a "we're special as the ruling family because we're werewolves" game, it can make a "werewolf domination" game a bit of a trick to pull off. Is there any chance we could see werewolf bitches having a (low) chance to pass on bitch/omega/werewolf status to their offspring?

Or a county modifier representing several generations of oversexed beastmen and their, ahem, indiscretions running around and affecting the local populace?

Try playing DW with Hip(or Ck+) it adds better balance to the game overall, especially to fertility for example if a bitch/courtier is having too many kids it makes her infertile after a while

@dewguru If one is running in debugging mode, Dark World Reborn is generating a string of portrait errors about a missing effect file.  I got that error from my code also, so I researched it.  To fix it you need to add effectFile = "gfx/FX/portrait.lua" to each of the 25 entries in static_portraits.gfx.  Hope this was useful.

Change log for what got posted tonight.

It's short a few potions, and a number of exotic items, which I plan on adding and releasing next week. I'm posting this now, mainly to try and help out with Noxbestia's mod update that he's looking to get out.

- Merchant Republic players can be slavers now too! The third tier of the cellar upgrade for the Palace is a Dungeon Complex. I've added that to the list of buildings to be recognized as valid slavery buildings
    - Added a global flag of Dark_World_Reborn_Present at start-up for mods that want to do a check to see if Dark World Reborn is being used or not
    - New Exotic Emporium related buildings for other styles (trade post, tribal, nomad) - I believe the way I'm scoping will allow the tradepost to work for Merchant Republic, if not, let me know
    - To reduce decisions - there will now be a 'go shopping' decision, which launches an event where you'll decide to go to the alchemist or emporium
    - New Alchemist potions available - big thanks for some potion ideas from Dem8840
    - Alchemist shopping event has been tweaked - with each visit potentially being different potions that are sold
    - Noxbestia organized a naming standard discussion for traits related to various body parts. Those changes have been incorporated (with Noxbestia even providing some code changes to make it easier to adapt)

10 hours ago, dewguru said:

Change log for what got posted tonight.

It's short a few potions, and a number of exotic items, which I plan on adding and releasing next week. I'm posting this now, mainly to try and help out with Noxbestia's mod update that he's looking to get out.

- Noxbestia organized a naming standard discussion for traits related to various body parts. Those changes have been incorporated (with Noxbestia even providing some code changes to make it easier to adapt)

Thank you very much!  I have uploaded a new version of my stuff as well and so far in my tests most things seem to still be working, though I did have to comment out some overrides until I can look deeper into the new code to see how best to work with it.

FIrst time installing this mod, well done on the content. However I am having issues accessing any of it; I supposed I'll start with bestiality. How exactly do I dive into it? The readme game be a very broad overlook of the entire mod, is there a guide anywhere?

40 minutes ago, Deamon123 said:

also having problem with gigantic and enormous dicks not showing up when using console commands to add. still reads horse dick on it and adds that.

Did you start a brand new game? If you did, then you didn't read the big warning on the Change Log.

If you're seeing this in a brand new game - then I'd recommend you delete the old mod directory and simply reinstall the mod as though it didn't exist previously. Then ensure you're starting a new game.