[Idea] Legendary Weapon Effects Rebalance

noptasis

So while working on some other mods I came to think about the current legendary effects system, and how boring it was. Lacks any sort of themeing or interesting choice, and rather just becomes an issue of what does the most damage. Plus, some weapons are outrageously overpowered with a certain modification (Wounding ripper, Explosive minigun) While some effects are just useless. 

I think the way to fix it is by introducing trade-offs to the more powerful legendary effects, so that getting a legendary weapon or armor actually affects your gameplay, the way it's intended to. It'll also balance things out between the weapon classes. That is, making the legendary weapons more powerful, but also more specialized and unique. 

Weapons: 

Assassin's: Does 50% more damage against humans. -> Does 60% more damage against humans, +100% AP cost 

Now this is the definition of a boring effect. Nothing but a flat damage increase that doesn't change playstyle at all. When you think of assassin weapons, you think getting headshots or slitting throats instantly. By increasing damage but discouraging VATS, weapons fit that playstyle more. 

Cavalier's: Reduces damage by 15% while blocking or sprinting. -> Reduces damage by 75% while blocking or sprinting. Damage - 25% 

This way, the effect goes from useless to a way for even a flimsy melee build or gun-fu type of character to survive giant super mutants, and reinforces an evasive, hit and run playstyle. 

Crippling: 50% more limb damage. -> 100% more limb damage. -50% Critical damage. 

Enraging: Critical hits cause target to frenzy. -> All hits have a 25% chance to frenzy the target. 

Exterminator's: Does 50% more damage against Mirelurks and bugs. -> Does 75% more damage against Mirelurks and bugs. Does 50% reduced damage to robots. 

Freezing: Does 10 points cryo damage and will freeze targets on critical hits. -> Does 15 points cryo damage and 50 points cryo damage on critical hits. 

Incendiary: Sets target on fire for 15 points of damage. -> 25% chance to set target on fire for 30 points of damage. 

Irradiated: Does 50 points additional radiation damage. -> Does 80 points additional radiation damage. Critical damage down 50%  

Mutant slayer's: Does 50% more damage against Super Mutants. -> Does 25% more damage against Super mutants. Critical damage + 50%. 

Pretty self explanatory. These changes would make the effects viable on more builds. 

Explosive: Bullets explode on impact doing 15 points area-of-effect damage. -> Bullets explode on impact doing 15 points area-of-effect damage, - 10 damage. OR Bullets explode on impact doing 30% area-of-effect damage.

Both changes are aimed at balancing weapons that are too good with the explosive modifier. Removing flat damage does little for a explosive sniper rifle, but hurts the explosive minigun. The alternative does the same while making things like explosive cannons do more damage, but might be difficult to code. 

Lucky Weapon: Critical shots do double damage and the critical meter fills 15% faster. -> 15% chance to deal 100% bonus damage. 

This should make the damage LESS consistent and fit the mold, of, well, luck. 

Never Ending: Sets ammo capacity equal to the amount one is carrying. -> Sets ammo capacity equal to the amount one is carrying. 30% slower fire rate. 

Never-ending now balanced for gatling lasers, but almost equally strong for rifles. 

Penetrating: Ignores 30% of the target's damage and energy resistance. -> Ignores 50% of the target's damage and energy resistance. Damage - 25%. 

Now you have to think a little. 

Quickdraw: Costs 25% fewer Action Points. -> Costs 50% fewer Action Points. Critical damage down 50%. 

Emphasizes the heavy VATS combat by shifting focus away from the crit

Sentinel's: Take 15% less damage while standing and not moving. -> Take 40% less damage while standing and not moving. Take 100% bonus damage while sprinting. 

Punishes you for being a wuss. 

Two shot: Fires an additional projectile. Decrease in accuracy. -> Fires an additional projectile. Decrease in accuracy. -40% damage. 

Two shot is a little bit too strong, but this would help remedy that. 

Wounding: Targets bleed for 25 points of additional damage. -> Targets have a 20% chance to bleed for 50 points of additional damage. 50% bonus limb damage on wounding hit. 

Wounding was a little too strong since some weapons could stack it up too quick. This way, the strengths are tempered while giving the weapon much more utility. 

Hopefully, I can eventually introduce more legendary effects that also fit the mold. Anyways, let me know what you think and give any suggestions you may have. 

I'm sorry I just had to laugh at this

Sorry MonsterFish. I try to be never rude.

i don't know why when I typed the "name of the link", I emphasized it too much.

I am very sorry for the language I used.

but the two point are clear and cannot be changed:

1) Nobody can do a real mod. The Mod Kit is not released. (Do you want to change a texture? Go for it. Pretty much little less is possible.)

2) Don't spam the forum. (I really like to have the Sole Survivor when wearing a custom set of clothes, to dance for 5 minutes, and then get a new perk increased by 2 points!!!!!) Maybe this can be an idea. But right now we should focus to support people and reverse engineering. Discussion? Possible. But there are 20 new requests for discussion every day. Just too much to handle. So Just use @Halstrom post. If the "Idea" will be good enough, it will become a real thread.

P.S.: "We can't do a shit" can be read as: "we suffer for serious constipation and we don't have any laxative available; so please don't hurt us more by imposing us to eat other food." Better this way?

I'm sorry I just had to laugh at this

Sorry MonsterFish. I try to be never rude.

i don't know why when I typed the "name of the link", I emphasized it too much.

I am very sorry for the language I used.

but the two point are clear and cannot be changed:

1) Nobody can do a real mod. The Mod Kit is not released. (Do you want to change a texture? Go for it. Pretty much little less is possible.)

2) Don't spam the forum. (I really like to have the Sole Survivor when wearing a custom set of clothes, to dance for 5 minutes, and then get a new perk increased by 2 points!!!!!) Maybe this can be an idea. But right now we should focus to support people and reverse engineering. Discussion? Possible. But there are 20 new requests for discussion every day. Just too much to handle. So Just use @Halstrom post. If the "Idea" will be good enough, it will become a real thread.

P.S.: "We can't do a shit" can be read as: "we suffer for serious constipation and we don't have any laxative available; so please don't hurt us more by imposing us to eat other food." Better this way?

With the fo4 editor many mods about this post have been build...

With the fo4 editor many mods about this post have been build...

Excellent!

Then just grab TES5Edit, rename it to be sure you edit Fallout4.esm, and then do the mod by yourself.

I agree with how boring the mods are, and I'm all for spicing them up. But I do think some nuance is required; for example the Cavalier and Sentinel mods on armor pieces are meant to be trivial on one piece, but stronger when you wear two or even three pieces. So raising it to 75% on one item makes that thing way overpowered. You could work in set bonuses, that'd be pretty cool. I've always liked those, mechanically speaking.

• 1 year later...

Archived