Outfit mods

Mondo80

Without development tools like GECK currently it is wery difficult if you not a pro in 3D modeling.

I have an 3 years old education in Maya and 3D's Max, but I do not know how to work within the frame of the game and its textures and meshes.

Edit; To be more precise, I do not know where to begin :) 

Without development tools like GECK currently it is wery difficult if you not a pro in 3D modeling.

I have an 3 years old education in Maya and 3D's Max, but I do not know how to work within the frame of the game and its textures and meshes.

Edit; To be more precise, I do not know where to begin :)

Well we all have to hope for new modding tools - Blender, Niftools and CK come out soon!

For simple renaming and texture remaping you can use FO4Edit (Tes5edit renamed).

But you will need to know the name of the item ID, Nif, and Texture path for the original item and how to create a new item inside of Tes5edit/FO4edit (for both the Armor and Armor Addon pieces). You will also need to know how to change the ID's so it does not just overwrite the original with the new.

You can look at some of the current rename/retexture sets off of nexus with FO4edit (just open the esp and take a took at the records in the armor and armor addon sections).

You will also need to know the different flags to add for things like rad restitance, damage resitance, upgrade options (legendary, ballistic fiber, vault suit misc upgrades, etc) as well as if the item can be created at a workstation (be it the chem bench like Calypsis or at one of the add on armor or clothing crafting stations). Note: if you have the items able to be created at a third party station you will more then likely need to make that a soft dependency (as players may still be able to generate the item via the console without the third party crafting station).

For Adding Nif's and Textures. You need to have a toolset that would allow you to properly configure the nif file structure (mesh - node - sub node, etc) as well as have a full understanding of both the Materials data (data\materials\ you mod folder here). And finally an understanding of the texture formats for the different texture types (Diffuse, Normal, Specular, and what ever else Beth uses for outfits/armors/weapons).

Weight painting tools have not been created yet and the only third party nif currently available is CBBE and Cal has stated the weight painting is not ready yet for that body (hell the vanilla weight painting from Beth is sub par to what skyrim cbbe/uunp users are used to).

There has been Zero Documentation on how Beth's Vanilla Physic system works (what files are used beside the nif to enable physic's and how they are tied together).

You have to remember this game is only been out less then 2 months and the Creation Kit has not been released yet (nor any documentation from Beth on how the nif format is setup or how to generate texture files from photoshop or equivalent paint programs).

Beth is probably polishing the CK so that it will be easy for PS4 and XB1 users to create small mods (and that is going to take time as the CK usually requires a full keyboard/mouse support so trying to get that to work with a game pad's probably a nightmare).

All in all it is possible to do basic stuff but it is not easy and you have to constantly watch for updates to things like Nifskope and be on the lookout for niftools for max/blender for FO4 (as they have not been released yet).

How Cal got CBBE working in FO4 is because she is damn good at Maya/Blender and was able to make the basic body conversion, but her work flow is not easy to replicate from what I understand.

For simple renaming and texture remaping you can use FO4Edit (Tes5edit renamed).

But you will need to know the name of the item ID, Nif, and Texture path for the original item and how to create a new item inside of Tes5edit/FO4edit (for both the Armor and Armor Addon pieces). You will also need to know how to change the ID's so it does not just overwrite the original with the new.

You can look at some of the current rename/retexture sets off of nexus with FO4edit (just open the esp and take a took at the records in the armor and armor addon sections).

You will also need to know the different flags to add for things like rad restitance, damage resitance, upgrade options (legendary, ballistic fiber, vault suit misc upgrades, etc) as well as if the item can be created at a workstation (be it the chem bench like Calypsis or at one of the add on armor or clothing crafting stations). Note: if you have the items able to be created at a third party station you will more then likely need to make that a soft dependency (as players may still be able to generate the item via the console without the third party crafting station).

For Adding Nif's and Textures. You need to have a toolset that would allow you to properly configure the nif file structure (mesh - node - sub node, etc) as well as have a full understanding of both the Materials data (data\materials\ you mod folder here). And finally an understanding of the texture formats for the different texture types (Diffuse, Normal, Specular, and what ever else Beth uses for outfits/armors/weapons).

Weight painting tools have not been created yet and the only third party nif currently available is CBBE and Cal has stated the weight painting is not ready yet for that body (hell the vanilla weight painting from Beth is sub par to what skyrim cbbe/uunp users are used to).

There has been Zero Documentation on how Beth's Vanilla Physic system works (what files are used beside the nif to enable physic's and how they are tied together).

You have to remember this game is only been out less then 2 months and the Creation Kit has not been released yet (nor any documentation from Beth on how the nif format is setup or how to generate texture files from photoshop or equivalent paint programs).

Beth is probably polishing the CK so that it will be easy for PS4 and XB1 users to create small mods (and that is going to take time as the CK usually requires a full keyboard/mouse support so trying to get that to work with a game pad's probably a nightmare).

All in all it is possible to do basic stuff but it is not easy and you have to constantly watch for updates to things like Nifskope and be on the lookout for niftools for max/blender for FO4 (as they have not been released yet).

How Cal got CBBE working in FO4 is because she is damn good at Maya/Blender and was able to make the basic body conversion, but her work flow is not easy to replicate from what I understand.

Thank you so much for this, it gave me a much clearer view of the current situation but also what seems to be some critical things that is needed to be learned to start a project. I will start look around for guides that includes what you mentioned :)

Archived