[IDEA] Rescue Scenarios

Revuu

We've got all these threads of how our character can get beaten up, enslaved, raped and killed. But our characters are important - what about their followers? What about the rest of the Commonwealth? After all our hard work, surely they care?

Maybe... they'll rescue us?

SPOILERS GALORE AHEAD

Sometimes, heroes need a hand too.

This thread is to discuss and create ideas and scenarios for rescues of our characters from whatever mess they've got themselves into. Who should rescue them? How? Where? What triggers? What should happen?

Let's get some non-sexual ones in here, too. For stuff like Death Alternative and whatnot.

IDEAS COMPILATION
Ideas, scenarios and miscellaneous from around the site

[iDEA] Mysterious Aid

grenadenpizza

Summary: After whatever lewd / unfortunate things happen to the player upon defeat, player control is swapped to the Mysterious Stranger, armed with a pistol and scaled to the level of your existing character. If the character is caught by anything with a brain their gear will be stored somewhere in the base too. As the Mysterious Stranger, you either fight or sneak through wherever your character is held and free them. You have no inventory access as the Mysterious Stranger.
Also Suggested: Mines and traps to capture the character. Stun traps (modified teslas?), knockout gas traps, net traps.

Valgo suggested a chance to take control of your last Follower (or nearest, your most recent follower went down with you) to rescue your character. This also brought up some wonderful potential for interaction with Followers, and actually caring about them.

TheCaptn brought up a very good point that your follower probably got dragged into hell with you (hence maybe using the nearest follower instead), but that Minutemen Flares or Brotherhood Smokes could be deployed, resulting in an NPC from the relevant faction turning up to rescue the Survivor (controlled by the player). vane000 suggested accompanying this NPC with a squad of other NPCs to make it seem like a rescue team.

Bear165 posted an idea of a (lewd!) scenario of followers going undercover (with associated debauchery) to rescue you.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a Skyrim modder. But I've scripted in some other games, and I'm used to 'working around' issues in slightly unusual ways to get more stable results. I'm just throwing some ideas of how it might work. - Revuu
1) The Stranger has infinite carry weight, and is able to take EVERYTHING belonging to the Sole Survivor if they find the box of stuff. When they meet the Survivor, they auto-transfer everything.
CONS:
Loss of favourite settings on character.
Potential loss of items if the Stranger glitches and despawns without passing over the items
Potential loss of items if the Stranger equips something somehow
PROS:
No idea. Maybe easier to script?
It may be that changing main character results in loss of favourites ANYWAY, so it doesn't matter

2) The character does not lose their items, they are simply force-unequipped, and access to their inventory is denied until they are rescued. IF the Stranger accesses the box of stuff, the character's inventory will unlock when they meet the Stranger and all their stuff will remain. If the Stranger does NOT find the box, the Survivor's stuff is teleported to the box upon rescue.
CONS:
Might be harder to script?
My Favourites theory may be completely wrong
Might not be able to remove gear from the Survivor's inventory (better than losing it forever?)
PROS:
My favourites theory might be right
Items never leave the Survivor's inventory - less chance for them to be lost or deleted in glitches
Stranger glitching or despawning without giving you your gear won't delete it
Stranger can't accidentally equip stuff and lose it

No Hope for You

leatherliz and Revuu

Leatherliz pointed out that there are some existing AI vs AI battles in the game, meaning there's potential for AI squads to try to fight through enemies to free the character. I suggested that maybe one of those AI be set to immortal, in case glitches happen or they all die. This NPC would be coded to be the one to talk to the Survivor, rather than trying to assign it to a random member of the rescue force. Maybe after a certain time (in case stuff is stuck in infinite loops, to force them to progress), maybe the player blacks out and awakes with the rescue force nearby.

Either way, the idea of watching NPCs fight to try to free you seemed interesting. And, of course, you WANT them to win.

Leatherliz suggested that, instead of the rescue force being there to rescue you, maybe they're just more bad guys killing other bad guys. Your situation doesn't get any better. Alternately, your rescue force doesn't have an immortal guy - they die trying to rescue you, and it's all your fault. If the rescuers were from a nearby settlement (which I think would be a great idea - it makes you care about getting people in settlements, as they can save your sorry ass) and they fail, the population of the settlement drops, along with the happiness.

WORSE: If these settlers lose to the raiders, you get to see / hear them being used and abused too. These poor people you were meant to save.

Assuming the character locks themselves in somewhere (i.e. a borded up room), raiders etc maybe don't try to get them out. They just leave food and water outside, knowing that our character will have to come out or die. (Even without food and drink mods, this might be coded in here?) Apart from that, sleep deprivation takes its toll.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a modder, but this topic kept popping up on other threads so it seemed like a good idea to have a thread entirely for rescue scenarios. I have some experience of scripting in other games (ARMA2), and a vague idea of how some things might work. Maybe.

Guest MonsterFish

Turns out that Mirelurks are actually a highly advanced civilised race that live underground

And they are

The crab people.

Taste like crab.

Look like people.

Turns out that Mirelurks are actually a highly advanced civilised race that live underground

And they are

The crab people.

Taste like crab.

Look like people.

"I... I thought they were going to eat me, or lay their eggs inside me. But the truth was far, far worse. They wanted me to teach them arithmetic, algebra and Latin! I NEVER STUDIED LATIN! It's a dead language, A DEAD LANGUAGE! Why? WHY?!"

And they are

The crab people.

Taste like crab.

Look like people.

"I... I thought they were going to eat me, or lay their eggs inside me. But the truth was far, far worse. They wanted me to teach them arithmetic, algebra and Latin! I NEVER STUDIED LATIN! It's a dead language, A DEAD LANGUAGE! Why? WHY?!"

"It was dead BEFORE the war!"

"... ... ..."

ATLANTIS DLC CONFIRMED

In all seriousness this is a pretty cool set-up for staged NPC battles, kinda like

the battle for bunker hill, and it would be kinda awesome seeing a squad of Atom Cats in their flames-painted power armor kicking ass through a raider base.

In all seriousness this is a pretty cool set-up for staged NPC battles, kinda like

the battle for bunker hill, and it would be kinda awesome seeing a squad of Atom Cats in their flames-painted power armor kicking ass through a raider base.

"Hey, I found this cool little kitty-cat here. Can we keep it?"

Maybe you've managed to lock yourself into a room or something previously, and you're watching the NPCs fighting towards where you're kept, hoping that enough of them survive to get to you to let you out. Cringing every time one of them goes down, or a ghoul appears behind someone.

But actually stick one to immortal or something, and have that be the NPC that talks to you. Because it's probably easier to have one NPC hard coded to talk to you and rescue you, rather than try to give it to whoever's left alive.

"Hey, I found this cool little kitty-cat here. Can we keep it?"

Maybe you've managed to lock yourself into a room or something previously, and you're watching the NPCs fighting towards where you're kept, hoping that enough of them survive to get to you to let you out. Cringing every time one of them goes down, or a ghoul appears behind someone.

But actually stick one to immortal or something, and have that be the NPC that talks to you. Because it's probably easier to have one NPC hard coded to talk to you and rescue you, rather than try to give it to whoever's left alive.

"Well look what we have here, boys! These dead assholes were holdin' out on us. You're ours now, bitch!"

Throw in the chance for an opposing set of baddies with the threat of your situation getting worse.

and have the immortal NPC have a chance to not spawn with the "rescue" force, to really dash the players hopes.... or induce stockholme syndrome.

"Well look what we have here, boys! These dead assholes were holdin' out on us. You're ours now, bitch!"

Throw in the chance for an opposing set of baddies with the threat of your situation getting worse.

and have the immortal NPC have a chance to not spawn with the "rescue" force, to really dash the players hopes.... or induce stockholme syndrome.

Yes! The plot thickens. Are they Minutemen, Settlers or raiders? Are you saved, or just moving somewhere else?

You have locked yourself in a room with a window and a door, you watch the rescue force from your settlement be torn down by ghouls in an attempt to rescue you, watching as the ghouls eat their bodies. There's no bed, you have to curl up on the hard floor to sleep, but you can't sleep. You can hear the bones being cracked apart for the marrow. You're hungry and thirsty.

To add insult to injury, your settlement is now on 10% happiness and only has 2 people left... the male farmer in the sequinned dress and the naked idiot at the scavenging table. But hey, maybe they sent up a flare before they charged in and died?

Guest MonsterFish

I like the idea of being captured after a plot is uncovered with implications that the players plans, or is framed for, a mutiny aboard the Prydwyn and is imprisoned awaiting execution. But at the last second, lo and behold, Paladin Danse Danse Revolution comes and saves you in a moment of badassery and then you go and murder some deathclaws and touch tips or whatever.

I like the idea of being captured after a plot is uncovered with implications that the players plans, or is framed for, a mutiny aboard the Prydwyn and is imprisoned awaiting execution. But at the last second, lo and behold, Paladin Danse Danse Revolution comes and saves you in a moment of badassery and then you go and murder some deathclaws and touch tips or whatever.

Stomping off into the sunset holding hands in Power Armor with aluminium cans tied to your ankles, las-rifles ablaze mowing down raiders everywhere.

I wish I could draw.

Danse Danse Revolution my husbando.

Off-topic serious question. Can synths jizz? What would they jizz if they did? 'Cause I don't want engine oil down there. Do fem-synths self-lubricate with oil? Because that would be worse than snail trails, at least those dry. Oil just stays oily forever.

Guest MonsterFish

Off-topic serious question. Can synths jizz? What would they jizz if they did? 'Cause I don't want engine oil down there. Do fem-synths self-lubricate with oil? Because that would be worse than snail trails, at least those dry. Oil just stays oily forever.

I don't think giving Synths the ability to Jizz was their primary function but I like to imagine some of the scientists keep one or two 'special models'.

I like the idea of having the CK itself becoming sentient and saving you from raiders by deleting them.

Yes! The plot thickens. Are they Minutemen, Settlers or raiders? Are you saved, or just moving somewhere else?

You have locked yourself in a room with a window and a door, you watch the rescue force from your settlement be torn down by ghouls in an attempt to rescue you, watching as the ghouls eat their bodies. There's no bed, you have to curl up on the hard floor to sleep, but you can't sleep. You can hear the bones being cracked apart for the marrow. You're hungry and thirsty. To add insult to injury, your settlement is now on 10% happiness and only has 2 people left... the male farmer in the sequinned dress and the naked idiot at the scavenging table.

You wake slowly, not sure when you fell asleep. The hunger pains are worse now, and your head hurts from dehydration. It's dark now, so you were out for several hours, at least.

"Hrrr, FOOD!"

Your head snaps around to look at the window, a green mass of muscle and ugly, harshly framed by the afternoon sun, is staring right at you. Your confused sense of time is overwhelmed by terror as the super mutant leaves the window in search of an entryway that will accommodate it's massive frame. You wince as the full light of the sun floods the room, the heavy footfalls of the super mutant accentuating the pounding in your head. You scurry for the darkest corner in an irrational attempt to hide, hoping beyond hope that the door will hold.

Stomping off into the sunset holding hands in Power Armor with aluminium cans tied to your ankles, las-rifles ablaze mowing down raiders everywhere.

I wish I could draw.

Danse Danse Revolution my husbando.

Either water or silicone based lube fluids. They have internal K-Y reservoirs. :D

Gen-1's and 2's have no genitals or even biological internal organs. If you get far enough into the institute

you can see the gen-3 production line, where they basically snap together a skeleton, 3-d print the nervous/circulatory system, weave on the muscles, then dip them into a vat of some kind to either apply or rapidly grow their skin.

So in short gen-3's are largely biological and presumably have functional genitals.

Considering the institute kidnapped Shaun to use his pure, un-radiation-tainted DNA as a template for the gen-3 synths, it makes me wonder how they make the female ones, though.

Guest MonsterFish

I have no idea what that is, I assume I haven't got that far yet.

Not sure if you're talking to me, but CK is the creation kit or GECK. You know, the thing that you make mods with.

Of course both sexes lubricate, though its likely to be similar to any modern sex lube, liquid KY jelly or similar and the Gen3's may be set up to deliver the goods required to create Gen4's possibly requiring human hosts (IVF whether you want it or not?) or sperm donors :)

I have no idea what that is, I assume I haven't got that far yet.

Not sure if you're talking to me, but CK is the creation kit or GECK. You know, the thing that you make mods with.

Aaah, I thought it might be some in-game entity of some sort, related to plotline. But Creation Kit makes far more sense.

You wake slowly, not sure when you fell asleep. The hunger pains are worse now, and your head hurts from dehydration. It's dark now, so you were out for several hours, at least.

"Hrrr, FOOD!"

Your head snaps around to look at the window, a green mass of muscle and ugly, harshly framed by the afternoon sun, is staring right at you. Your confused sense of time is overwhelmed by terror as the super mutant leaves the window in search of an entryway that will accommodate it's massive frame. You wince as the full light of the sun floods the room, the heavy footfalls of the super mutant accentuating the pounding in your head. You scurry for the darkest corner in an irrational attempt to hide, hoping beyond hope that the door will hold.

The darkness of the corner is lit by flashes of bright red light and the thudding on the door ceases. Looking up, you can see the metal visibly distorted. The sounds of fighting and mutant roars outside are painfully loud to your ears, causing your already painful head to throb horribly as your ears try to cringe back into your skull. Blood and debris splatter against the window to your hiding place.

After what felt like forever and yet no time at all, the roars and weapon fire stops. You can hear heavy footfalls outside and the characteristic whirring of power armor.

"Found them sir." You don't recognise the voice, and it's no use trying to recognise the armored helmet outside the window either.

"On your feet soldier. Stay back form the door." You recognise that voice.

Without really thinking - you're beyond thinking, your head hurts too much - you struggle to your feet. You flinch as laser rifles free the battered door from its hinges, a metal cased fist pulling away the crumpled remains. Leaning on the wall slightly, you stagger towards the exit and freedom. Everything is blurred and far too bright. However, you have barely made it outside before fatigue, hunger and thirst drops you to the floor. The bright sun burns your eyes, so you close them. It's so, so comfortable here... You vaguely feel movement, then cold metal against your stomach as you're thrown over the shoulder of one of the suits. The sudden change of height, having your head lower than your stomach causes your head to throb agonizingly. You can't help but let out a little groan of agony.

A dry chuckle escapes one of the helmets. "You'll be alright. The scribes'll fix you up in no time."

Everything descends into comfortable darkness. Well, as comfortable as it can be with a raging headache, slung over someone's shoulder.

Great thing is, the entire scenario is gender neutral and non-lewd. There's nothing that implies the character was male or female, no gender-based responses from NPCs.

ALTERNATIVES:

Instead of ghouls at the start, have it be raiders in an underground bunker or something. They don't even try to get the player out, they just put food outside the room. "Come out when you're ready, we'll be here for you." For lewdery, they could maybe have their way with the settlers that came to rescue you before killing them outside your window.

Great job, Hero. You got the settlers that trusted you raped and killed, all because you didn't avoid that stupid trap.

Hypothetical Non-Modder Nonsense:

From a mechanics point of view, does it make more sense to have these 'rescue scenarios' occur in their own sub-zones. Like inside buildings, cut off from the outside world. It might well be possible to build 'outside areas' within their own areas (skybox, some walls to prevent you seeing far enough to know it's all fake). Sort of like that one 'wooded glen' in Skyrim for the Hircine questline. Maybe it'd be possible to build them all up within the same sub-area, floating in the 'void' so to speak.

You only get to these areas through the scripted transitions of the events, meaning they have no find-able entrance from the outside world. Add NPCs via duplication / creating identical ones (to prevent quest interference etc) and delete every creature in the area after the player has left. This might potentially also reducing the potential for interference / clashes with other mods etc. However, for safety's sake there should probably be a door you can exit through that dumps you off somewhere, found by noclipping through the zone in case of script fuckups with a giant neon "EXIT HERE IN CASE OF GLITCH" sign.

Semi-bump, because I'm this needs its own post. Basically, I'm grabbing other ideas I've seen in other threads and putting them here.

[iDEA] Mysterious Aid

grenadenpizza

Summary: After whatever lewd / unfortunate things happen to the player upon defeat, player control is swapped to the Mysterious Stranger, armed with a pistol and scaled to the level of your existing character. If the character is caught by anything with a brain their gear will be stored somewhere in the base too. As the Mysterious Stranger, you either fight or sneak through wherever your character is held and free them. You have no inventory access as the Mysterious Stranger.

Also Suggested: Mines and traps to capture the character. Stun traps (modified teslas?), knockout gas traps, net traps.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a Skyrim modder. But I've scripted in some other games, and I'm used to 'working around' issues in slightly unusual ways to get more stable results. I'm just throwing some ideas of how it might work. - Revuu

1) The Stranger has infinite carry weight, and is able to take EVERYTHING belonging to the Sole Survivor if they find the box of stuff. When they meet the Survivor, they auto-transfer everything.

CONS:

Loss of favourite settings on character.

Potential loss of items if the Stranger glitches and despawns without passing over the items

Potential loss of items if the Stranger equips something somehow

PROS:

No idea. Maybe easier to script?

It may be that changing main character results in loss of favourites ANYWAY, so it doesn't matter

2) The character does not lose their items, they are simply force-unequipped, and access to their inventory is denied until they are rescued. IF the Stranger accesses the box of stuff, the character's inventory will unlock when they meet the Stranger and all their stuff will remain. If the Stranger does NOT find the box, the Survivor's stuff is teleported to the box upon rescue.

CONS:

Might be harder to script?

My Favourites theory may be completely wrong

Might not be able to remove gear from the Survivor's inventory (better than losing it forever?)

PROS:

My favourites theory might be right

Items never leave the Survivor's inventory - less chance for them to be lost or deleted in glitches

Stranger glitching or despawning without giving you your gear won't delete it

Stranger can't accidentally equip stuff and lose it

EDIT: Just dumped most of this information in the OP, so there's a nice summary of 'Stuff What's Happened'.

• 1 year later...

If you stay in control of the player, maybe have them try to escape while tied up in some scenarios? Finding a secret passage or a gate being unlocked, hopping to freedom in stealth while the majority of the AI is occupied with the rescuer(s) ?

If you play as a party member like Cait or Piper, if they fail they're tied and captured with the player? As well as any female settlers/faction members?

Eventually if you amass a certain # of captives you get a chance to escape as a group possibly?

Hypothetical Non-Modder Nonsense:

From a mechanics point of view, does it make more sense to have these 'rescue scenarios' occur in their own sub-zones. Like inside buildings, cut off from the outside world. It might well be possible to build 'outside areas' within their own areas (skybox, some walls to prevent you seeing far enough to know it's all fake). Sort of like that one 'wooded glen' in Skyrim for the Hircine questline. Maybe it'd be possible to build them all up within the same sub-area, floating in the 'void' so to speak.

You only get to these areas through the scripted transitions of the events, meaning they have no find-able entrance from the outside world. Add NPCs via duplication / creating identical ones (to prevent quest interference etc) and delete every creature in the area after the player has left. This might potentially also reducing the potential for interference / clashes with other mods etc. However, for safety's sake there should probably be a door you can exit through that dumps you off somewhere, found by noclipping through the zone in case of script fuckups with a giant neon "EXIT HERE IN CASE OF GLITCH" sign.

The best way would to build the areas that the character has to escape from so you have control of whats going on in said area when the player exits the are you could just have a bit of text say that you managed to escape and made your way back to where your were captured.

Also Iike the idea of the player been capture by mirelurks or deathclaws and used as a breeder have to wait for the animations for that but for them to awaken in a breeder cave with other victims and have it switch over to the npc the longer the npc takes to rescue them the more the character begins to develop stockhom syndrom or something the same could happen to the player companions also have if the caompanion fails they could end up next to the player sharing the same fate.

For a simple scenario just have the institute teleport the player and raiders/gunners/creatures to a lab for experimentation only for the institute to release the player back into the wasteland after they realize who the player is. 

Scenario:  The player is on the verge of being killed by what ever has captured them and suddenly a flash of blue light and the player passes out.  The player awakes in a glass tube in a room full of glass tubes which have raiders, gunners, and creatures in them. A scientist walks over to the player's tube and says "This one should not be here!". Another flash of blue light and the player awakes in the now empty area where they were captured. The player is now able to retrieve their stuff and move on.

This is lore friendly because the institute was tracking the player before they reached the institute and would recognize the player. After reaching the institute they would obviously recognize the player as well.

This is modder friendly because all the assets to make the lab already exist in game. By filling a single room (interior cell) with a variety of creatures and people in tubes, the same room could be used over and over again without the need to change anything regardless of what captures the player.  The modder would only have to script the killing and de-spawning of all the enemies in a radius of the player upon the first teleport.  This is so that when the player is sent back the area is empty.

Archived