Alternate Races - ideas and lore

Hi All

Thought I'd Start this topic off here. while I enjoy the current system, part of my enjoyment comes with playing as another race.

For Fallout we have a few things already in this universe we what access to:

• Ghouls
  • Raider
  • Synths
  • Super mutant
  • Alien

As well as some not in this universe, some refer to them as furry. There are two types here the full body furry or the tail and ear type.

The biggest challenge behind introducing some of these races is how to fit them into the lore.

for races already in the game its not too difficult to added, but other leave questions of how to do it.

For the furry races it could have been caused by some earlier human stumbling across an experimental mutagen. this would could the first change into the new race. 

Idea - the player could also stumble across them in the wasteland and get potential exposed.

Someone also suggested the alternate race could all be synths with different additions.

My personal idea is for my character to have been exposed to one of these mutagens causes them to grow a tail and ears of a fox. (could be something during prewar that required a stay in a hospital) They gain perks relating to the additions like increase in perception and agility. As I'd travel the wasteland the most common occurrence is from people asking 'what am I?' and me replying 'I'm not sure'. I'm also trying to avoid certain factions that are after me to either, enslave me (fuck-toy), experiment on me (interesting specimen) or general just kill me (purge the mutants!).

I'm mostly leaving this open for either ideas for different races or how one might introduce them into this universe. So what ideas do you have?

Edited by Miarc007

Alternate races would certainly be a nice feature for the more specific interest groups of Loverslab, but I'm not sure there is a proper race system in Fallout 4.

Also, there seems to be too little room for a prewar hospital visit and uninformed mutagen injection.

Unless a completely new alternate start sequence is written, I think the best possible solution would be to get infected with a weird-as-fuck FEV strain developed by some really perverted scientist on the quest to create the ultimate fuck-toy. The new content would best be located in a custom dungeon.

A few ideas for getting mutated:

• The method of infection could be either of the following:
    a> an uncareful player could trigger a trap sequence causing the player character to fall down into a batch of Unknown Liquid Substance
    b> the player could find some Vial / Syringe of Unknown Serum and, being the crazy dude that injects his PC with literally everything, try out the stuff
    c> a different kind of trap - the player would be locked in a room into which he just walked and gassed (or so it would seem). The PC would be knocked unconscious and wake up a few hours later. The doors would be unlocked.

In these scenarios, the player nor the player character would be aware of the mutation unless they have experienced the dungeon's story beforehand (read some of the prewar scientist's logs)

• Over time, the player would mutate, much like Virgil's mutation took some time.

• A number of different mutations would be possible with a lore background such as these:
    a> Perfected humans - tall, muscular towers of men with strong core muscles (heavy strength and endurance bonuses); ultrafeminine women (lots of extra charisma). This mutant race could get extra alluring bonuses in sex mods.
    b> Furries - Some creature halfway between a human and a furry animal of choice - fox-humans, common cat-humans, Fallout anti-ES-lore Khajeet-Human halfbreeds.
    c> Perfected supermutants - achieve the original target results of the supermuntant project - taller, stronger, more durable humans retaining intelligence and skin color (and fertility/libido)

• The reactions could be varied as well
    Mutations a> and c>: Accepted by the Minutemen, settlements, and the Railroad.
    Mutation b> and c>: The Brotherhood of Steel will eradicate your kind (even though you are the only living one of the sort, but no one has to know that)
    Mutation a> on females: Brothels await you with open arms. Very desired body
    Mutation b>: Most non-hostile NPCs would show open distrust, some would be, eh, tolerant.. I guess. But behind your back, everyone would be planning how to capture you and turn you into a sex slave. Except for the Brotherhood and the Institute. The Institute understands your unfortunate state and will study you, in hopes of either curing you or at least getting something useful out of that mutation. The Brotherhood will stomp you into the ground, where you belong. (Damn, I'm turning the BoS into a radical racist organization)
    Mutation c>: The Supermutants would have the following opinion - You weird supermutant. But you supermutant. Let's go kill puny, weak humans.

• There would be no cure

Yeah, some mutation caused by radiation could be an explanation for feline or canine transformation (so many -ations :D). Btw, miarc, nice profile pic ;)

I don't know if some of my fellow Germans have read the book "Anders" by Wolfgang Hohlbein (maybe it exists in English, don't know), but there is a girl that partly has transformed into a cat: iirc she has cat ears instead of human ones and fur at her back, even a tail I think (it's a while since I've read it), and she is able to see and hear better than a "normal" human.

There also could exist some kind of Argonians, maybe some humans that got bit by a radiated saurian (Mini-Godzilla!) or sth. Or some human women did sth else with a Deathclaw (it seems to be more common than one thaught, if you can trust the doctor of the Brotherhood of Steel :P).

Attention, a gameplay

There also is an UFO with an Alien (if you kill it you may take it's laser pistol) that crashes at one point. Who tells, that this is their first visit, and who tells they didn't do some of their infamous experiments with human beings, especially women ...

post-441196-0-97576100-1449423454_thumb.jpeg

Alternate races would certainly be a nice feature for the more specific interest groups of Loverslab, but I'm not sure there is a proper race system in Fallout 4.

Also, there seems to be too little room for a prewar hospital visit and uninformed mutagen injection.

Unless a completely new alternate start sequence is written, I think the best possible solution would be to get infected with a weird-as-fuck FEV strain developed by some really perverted scientist on the quest to create the ultimate fuck-toy. The new content would best be located in a custom dungeon.

a> an uncareful player could trigger a trap sequence causing the player character to fall down into a batch of Unknown Liquid Substance

b> the player could find some Vial / Syringe of Unknown Serum and, being the crazy dude that injects his PC with literally everything, try out the stuff

c> a different kind of trap - the player would be locked in a room into which he just walked and gassed (or so it would seem). The PC would be knocked unconscious and wake up a few hours later. The doors would be unlocked.

In these scenarios, the player nor the player character would be aware of the mutation unless they have experienced the dungeon's story beforehand (read some of the prewar scientist's logs)

• Over time, the player would mutate, much like Virgil's mutation took some time.

• A number of different mutations would be possible with a lore background such as these:

a> Perfected humans - tall, muscular towers of men with strong core muscles (heavy strength and endurance bonuses); ultrafeminine women (lots of extra charisma). This mutant race could get extra alluring bonuses in sex mods.

b> Furries - Some creature halfway between a human and a furry animal of choice - fox-humans, common cat-humans, Fallout anti-ES-lore Khajeet-Human halfbreeds.

c> Perfected supermutants - achieve the original target results of the supermuntant project - taller, stronger, more durable humans retaining intelligence and skin color (and fertility/libido)

Mutation b> and c>: The Brotherhood of Steel will eradicate your kind (even though you are the only living one of the sort, but no one has to know that)

Mutation b>: Most non-hostile NPCs would show open distrust, some would be, eh, tolerant.. I guess. But behind your back, everyone would be planning how to capture you and turn you into a sex slave. Except for the Brotherhood and the Institute. The Institute understands your unfortunate state and will study you, in hopes of either curing you or at least getting something useful out of that mutation. The Brotherhood will stomp you into the ground, where you belong. (Damn, I'm turning the BoS into a radical rasist organization)

Mutation c>: The Supermutants would have the following opinion - You weird supermutant. But you supermutant. Let's go kill puny, weak humans.

• There would be no cure

What I meant with the prewar hospital was more about back story than it actual happening in game, kind of like when you find a message or letter explain some of the characters recent past. like when Nora finds her lawyers certificate or Nate his old solider fatigues.

That pretty much the best you can do before alternate start mods for when you first create the character. The letter to refer to an incident or accident that happen either at the hospital or cause you to be sent to the hospital.

I like the Ideas you've generated, if such a mod does get created, I'd recommend have a optional faction tag trigger, that way you'll still can play out the original story you desire without getting blocked because of your race.

Yeah, some mutation caused by radiation could be an explanation for feline or canine transformation (so many -ations :D). Btw, miarc, nice profile pic ;)

I don't know if some of my fellow Germans have read the book "Anders" by Wolfgang Hohlbein (maybe it exists in English, don't know), but there is a girl that partly has transformed into a cat: iirc she has cat ears instead of human ones and fur at her back, even a tail I think (it's a while since I've read it), and she is able to see and hear better than a "normal" human.

There also could exist some kind of Argonians, maybe some humans that got bit by a radiated saurian (Mini-Godzilla!) or sth. Or some human women did sth else with a Deathclaw (it seems to be more common than one thaught, if you can trust the doctor of the Brotherhood of Steel :P).

Attention, a gameplay

There also is an UFO with an Alien (if you kill it you may take it's laser pistol) that crashes at one point. Who tells, that this is their first visit, and who tells they didn't do some of their infamous experiments with human beings, especially women ...

Nice guess with the profile pic, yeah that's pretty much what I'm aiming for.

Usual play as the MaTera race in Skyrim - its a good mod, the add on hdt tails not so good or I just can't get it to work on my system too well.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/23170/?

If there are aliens in the FO universe who is to say Earth is the only planet they visit.  Maybe they have an intergalactic zoo.  This is a way to introduce just about any race you want into FO; anthropomorphic anime cat girls, Xenomorphs from the Alien movies, Yautja hunters from the Predator series, whatever.  Not that an excuse is needed to add whatever people want in their games, but that would be one feasible way; one of these 'zoo ships' crashed and the beings held captive escaped and now wander the wasteland.  It makes as much sense as anything else going on in FO4.

And FO4 needs an alternate start mod anyway.  New races is reason #101 why that needs to happen.  ;)

The main problem with furries is there's no evidence to support the "human mutation" angle.  The only odd instance of human hybridization was with a tree, not an animal.  Hybrids have been seen, of course, what with the rattlesnake dogs from New Vegas, but they're genetic experiments, not a result of mutagens.  Mutation usually results in things like Super Mutants, Yao Guai, or Mole Rats.  That's not at all to say it's impossible - you just won't be an uber kawaii neko, you'll be an abomination.

Your chances are better if you go full muzzle furry.  It's still pretty stupid and highly unlikely, but there is a bit of Fallout apocrypha that could be used as a jumping off point.  Indeed, the note about the escaped FEV raccoons was still in Fallout 1, but that's all.  And IMO the developers' reasons for cutting them are sound.

If you're absolutely hell bent on shoehorning "radfurries" into Fallout, look at the Yao Guai and mongrels for art inspiration, as any hybrid caused by radiation is going to wind up kinda fucked up.

If you want pretty furries, you'd be much better off looking into synths.  You've essentially got carte blanche to be as stupid as you want with that, down to interchangeable body mods to mix and match furry attributes.

The main problem with furries is there's no evidence to support the "human mutation" angle.  The only odd instance of human hybridization was with a tree, not an animal.  Hybrids have been seen, of course, what with the rattlesnake dogs from New Vegas, but they're genetic experiments, not a result of mutagens.  Mutation usually results in things like Super Mutants, Yao Guai, or Mole Rats.  That's not at all to say it's impossible - you just won't be an uber kawaii neko, you'll be an abomination.

Your chances are better if you go full muzzle furry.  It's still pretty stupid and highly unlikely, but there is a bit of Fallout apocrypha that could be used as a jumping off point.  Indeed, the note about the escaped FEV raccoons was still in Fallout 1, but that's all.  And IMO the developers' reasons for cutting them are sound.

If you're absolutely hell bent on shoehorning "radfurries" into Fallout, look at the Yao Guai and mongrels for art inspiration, as any hybrid caused by radiation is going to wind up kinda fucked up.

If you want pretty furries, you'd be much better off looking into synths.  You've essentially got carte blanche to be as stupid as you want with that, down to interchangeable body mods to mix and match furry attributes.

While that is very true most mutagen in games and comics aren't realistic. After all where is the fun in  an ugly character (unless you play that way?)

Biggest problem I can see adding these races is less of a ultra realistic lore one and more of a technical challenge. it's likely until we get either a race override going or better a RaceMenu for Fallout4 (bit like Skyrim's http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/29624/?)

While that is very true most mutagen in games and comics aren't realistic. After all where is the in  an ugly character (unless you play that way?)

Why did you bother bringing up lore if you weren't even going to try to stick to it? You can't just handwave valid in-universe observations because the universe itself is unrealistic. Either stick to lore or don't.

While that is very true most mutagen in games and comics aren't realistic. After all where is the in  an ugly character (unless you play that way?)

Why did you bother bringing up lore if you weren't even going to try to stick to it? You can't just handwave valid in-universe observations because the universe itself is unrealistic. Either stick to lore or don't.

When I said lore I didn't say it must be 100% accurate and can't deviate from it somewhat. What you suggested earlier was true to the lore; not denying it or disregarding its relevance. What I meant was can we fit it into the current lore without deviating too much from the core, like try keep it 70% to 80% true to the lore or do we need to make it appear to fit the lore by introduce into the universe in way that would make it seem plausible for that universe.

It's like people have suggested a scientist could have got a hold of the FEV virus, they could have tampered with it. As with all experiment he would have created a slew of monsters before he got what he wanted right. But in the end could he have created it?

I'm sorry if I don't make much sense but I always have trouble trying to explain what I conveying.

@Jexsam

Technically the centaur(on the west coast) is a cross between a human, a dog, and several others, so hybridisation is still Technically possible. And lets not forget the Mirelurk King from FO3. Those were pretty human looking for mutated snapping turtles. Though you are completely correct that any human/animal hybrid is unlikely to be pretty. Even if we gave the caviat that the FEV strain used was heavily altered or designed for force in non human traits(as some sort of pre FEV prototype), the end result should be less than the perfectly clean furry if you want to stick with the worlds art style; which is for many people Ideal (or at least to me)

Here are things i would expect from a FEV or Proto-FEV Anthro mutant human...thing

• fur appears to grow out in semi odd patches
  • Muzzels are not universal.
  • one or both hands are somewhat paw like
  • occasionally only having one animal ear and one human ear
  • slight warping or stretching of human flesh when transitioning to "animal flesh", especially around full muzzels or paw like forarms/hands
  • some slight Psycholical instability-animal mind clashing with human
  • inconsistant human/animal teeth.

For those who want their anthro characters Clean, well there is always the surgeons. If they can completely reshape your body in a post-apocalyptic wasteland future, surely the could clean up a Human/animal hybrid too.

@Jexsam

Technically the centaur(on the west coast) is a cross between a human, a dog, and several others, so hybridisation is still Technically possible. Though you are completely correct that its practically never likely to be pretty. Even if we gave the caviat that the FEV strain used was heavily altered or designed for force in non human traits(as some sort of pre FEV prototype), the end result should be less than the perfectly clean furry if you want to stick with the worlds art style; which is for many people Ideal (or at least to me)

Here are things i would expect from a FEV or Proto-FEV Anthro mutant human...thing

• fur appears to grow out in semi odd patches
  • Muzzels are not universal.
  • one or both hands are somewhat paw like
  • occasionally only having one animal ear and one human ear
  • slight warping or stretching of human flesh when transitioning to "animal flesh", especially around full muzzels or paw like forarms/hands
  • some slight Psycholical instability-animal mind clashing with human
  • inconsistant human/animal teeth.

For those who want their anthro characters Clean, well there is always the surgeons. If they can completely reshape your body in a post-apocalyptic wasteland future, surely the could clean up a Human/animal hybrid too.

The surgeon bit is a very good point! you could have been exposed and you need to reach a good doctor in time or experience negative results; one human ear and animal ear, multiple tails, skin conditions, whatever strikes. 

Guess when I thought of the FEV virues, each capsule would have a tailored so each virus that if done right (random chance perhaps) could lead to a much more desired clean mutation. But there would obviously be failures that would as suggested lead to various results.

The Island of Dr. Moreau.  Barbara Carrera (1977) and Fairuza Balk (1996) were both hybrids yet look totally human (and hot).  The rest of the lost souls were anything from human-animal hybrids to just twisted and grotesque 'mutants'.  This idea is nothing new; HG Wells wrote it in 1896.

Fitting Furies into lore is hard? Have you seen how stupid humanity is in Fallout universe. Super mutants are humans on a super serum bath(capt America gone way wrong). Deathclaws are a genetic hybrid of a Chameleon and a mix of other unnamed(as far as I know) Animals. And Valt-tec is known to do some strange things in there vault. so a genetic hybridization of man and animal may give off some survival benefits in a post fallout and Vault-tec would definitely love to play god with that.

*Pit vipers have Infrared sight

*Anything with fur would survive cold better

*Salamanders can regrow limbs

*Platypus can have electrolocation(can see electric currents including the small ones to move muscles)

*Electric eals can recharge there cell phone...I mean they can generate about 600v(I think and I am to lazy to look it up :dodgy: )

*K9s have better...um..all of there sences

and i am sure most animals would have a perk that we would love to have.as for the tail and ear only i would guess balance and hearing. Heck Guild wars 2 Charr have 2 sets of ears so they can hear high and low frequency sounds.

'Lore' is whatever people make it.  Look at what Bethesda did to FO and even their own Elder Scrolls.  They rewrite it or totally ignore it.  Players and modders don't need to be held to a higher standard than the devs are.  Look at the androids in FO3 and now the Synths in FO4.  Bethesda just pulled that out of their ass because there wasn't a lore precedent in FO before they added it.  Modders can do the same thing.  I mean, WHY NOT?  FO4 is so far off kilter from the FO universe anyway it's not even funny.  It's a brand name Zenimax owns until FO7 and that's how they're treating it; FO7, if the franchise lives that long.

On top of all of that it's a GAME so we as modders and players can add whatever we want.  That doesn't mean people are required to download it or have room to bitch about nekogi girls in skimpy high-heeled power armor.

I mean, WHY NOT?

Ah, yes. Simultaneously the most liberating and most dangerous question one can ask when making any sort of decision. It's a gateway to creativity as much as it is an excuse for a lack of care.

When it gets right down to it, the answer to "why not" is entirely personal. There's no right or wrong way to go about any of this.

'Lore' is whatever people make it.  Look at what Bethesda did to FO and even their own Elder Scrolls.  They rewrite it or totally ignore it.  Players and modders don't need to be held to a higher standard than the devs are.  Look at the androids in FO3 and now the Synths in FO4.  Bethesda just pulled that out of their ass because there wasn't a lore precedent in FO before they added it.  Modders can do the same thing.  I mean, WHY NOT?  FO4 is so far off kilter from the FO universe anyway it's not even funny.  It's a brand name Zenimax owns until FO7 and that's how they're treating it; FO7, if the franchise lives that long.

On top of all of that it's a GAME so we as modders and players can add whatever we want.  That doesn't mean people are required to download it or have room to bitch about nekogi girls in skimpy high-heeled power armor.

Just remove the high heels and we're good ...

Well moding wise you can do what ever you like I suppose.

I personally would like to make an immersive mod that stays on track, even if Bethesda jumps the shark somewhere, then I'd just like to do a better job.

I even have a variety of explanations for quite a bunch of things that the Fallout story doesn't really explain and I'd really like to tell it in form of a story.

I just believe that the whole 50's-punk thing ain't going to work for long unless you scrap the realism part.

Also they made such world changing decisions at the end of each story that it'll get harder and harder to make a new story in the Fallout universe.

It's already a lot of branching paths.

BTW, has anyone already seen Swan in FO4? Sexy as fuck that tiny cutie, isn't it xD

And if Swan may exist, then hell why not furry, hybrid, sexy catgirls? Maybe the Institute tried to build up an army of genetically enhanced humans, as backup to their synths, with nightvision and jump power of cats, and they are the first results (used for other purposes? Forced to prostitute for research money?) Who really cares how deep you build their lore into the existing one?

Mutation b>: Most non-hostile NPCs would show open distrust, some would be, eh, tolerant.. I guess. But behind your back, everyone would be planning how to capture you and turn you into a sex slave. Except for the Brotherhood and the Institute. The Institute understands your unfortunate state and will study you, in hopes of either curing you or at least getting something useful out of that mutation. The Brotherhood will stomp you into the ground, where you belong. (Damn, I'm turning the BoS into a radical rasist organization)

• There would be no cure

What I meant with the prewar hospital was more about back story than it actual happening in game, kind of like when you find a message or letter explain some of the characters recent past. like when Nora finds her lawyers certificate or Nate his old solider fatigues.

That pretty much the best you can do before alternate start mods for when you first create the character. The letter to refer to an incident or accident that happen either at the hospital or cause you to be sent to the hospital.

I like the Ideas you've generated, if such a mod does get created, I'd recommend have a optional faction tag trigger, that way you'll still can play out the original story you desire without getting blocked because of your race.

Attention, a gameplay

Nice guess with the profile pic, yeah that's pretty much what I'm aiming for.

Usual play as the MaTera race in Skyrim - its a good mod, the add on hdt tails not so good or I just can't get it to work on my system too well.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/23170/?

looks more like Ahri from LoL

I don't see why not. As long as you make the lore behind them believable (by Fallout standards anyway), it's all good. Some vault-tec experiment, a new kind of synth by a rogue Institute researcher or something like that. :)

Don't think adding the race will be a problem, from what I've seen of the engine and it's properties through tinkering with the console and from what I've seen/read online, the same race settings we had in Skyrim should still be there. All we gotta do is wait for the CK.

When I saw the Synths at the institute it was rather a surprised, considering what I remember from FO3 when one of your quest was tracking down a rogue android. I was honestly expecting their to be a lot more mechanical parts, if you remember Dr. Zimmer gives the play a little module on finding Harkness that boosts the players reflexes (called Wired reflexes) - proving that Harkness had a least some mechanical parts. FO4 'synth' aren't what I expected.

(I won't mention much as it's a spoiler - How do you add a spoiler hide/reveal?)

Introducing different races that started off as synth might be easier than I thought. But I can't help but think WTF?! How did they advance that far in the Fallout universe?!

When I saw the Synths at the institute it was rather a surprised, considering what I remember from FO3 when one of your quest was tracking down a rogue android. I was honestly expecting their to be a lot more mechanical parts, if you remember Dr. Zimmer gives the play a little module on finding Harkness that boosts the players reflexes (called Wired reflexes) - proving that Harkness had a least some mechanical parts. FO4 'synth' aren't what I expected.

(I won't mention much as it's a spoiler - How do you add a spoiler hide/reveal?)

Introducing different races that started off as synth might be easier than I thought. But I can't help but think WTF?! How did they advance that far in the Fallout universe?!

You put in a spoiler show/hide function by using ["spoiler"] in the beginning of what you want to hide and ending it with [/"spoiler"] (remove the quotation marks.)

["spoiler"] This is a spoiler [/"spoiler"]

This is a spoiler

or

["spoiler"]

This is a spoiler

[/"spoiler"]

This is a spoiler

which ever way you prefer to format it.