Prostitutes and Brothels in Skyrim: Thoughts and Discussion

So I’ve been thinking about the prostitution mods already out there and the lack of a brothel in Skyrim.  After about 30 minutes of mulling and checking a few things out this is what I have as ideas.

Types of Working Girls

To keep things simple I’ve broken down Skyrim prostitution into three categories; street walkers and pimps, brothels ran as licenced businesses and ‘call girl’ services.

Street walkers and pimps are just that.  The girls are nasty and the pimps are scum bags.  Top cost for the service would probably cap at about 20 gold.  They would also trade for skooma or moon sugar, since there isn’t heroine, meth, or crack in Skyrim.

Brothels.  These are legit business the local authorities know about and the services are taxed like any other business.  The brothel owners might be anyone, from a local noble (Little Finger from Game of Thrones) to a member of the underworld (Dijkstra from Witcher 3).  The quality of the goods would rank from average (cheap price) to fabulous (they’re expensive).  Depending on local morals, the general populace might be indifferent to the brothel.  Who knows?

Call girls would be just that.  You can only see them by appointment and word of mouth would be their only advertisement.  You might even need a recommendation from an existing client.  These girls can be independent contractors or work for a madam or pimp.  These girls are expensive and only nobles, wealthy merchants, rich adventurers, etc. can afford them.  They might work out of a set location or make house calls.

Where to put them.

Okay, let’s be realistic.  Every inn and tavern WILL NOT have a hooker working it.  First of all, there would need to be enough clients to support the practice.  Second of all, inn keepers and bar owners don’t want hookers harassing their customers.  This doesn’t mean that a local girl or the tavern wench won’t turn tricks on the side, but it wouldn’t be their full-time job.

Then there is the local small town economy to think about.  If the men living there can’t afford hookers, there won’t be any.  There has to be enough trade and business activity for people to have surplus gold to spend.  This rules out all of the small unwalled cities in Skyrim with maybe the exception of Falkreath, since it is close to both Bruma in Cyrodiil and Elinhir in Hammerfell.  I would assume there is enough wagon traffic (even though we don’t see it) to keep Narri in Deadman’s Drink busy in her spare time.  Another exception would be Dawnstar.  There are two mines full of workers and it has a small port.  Miners and sailors could support one or two girls, but where would they work out of?  It can’t be Windpeak Inn.  Thoring would never go for it, but I could see Abelone turning tricks when she isn’t busy carrying wood from point A to point B for no fucking reason.

Another consideration is location.  Markarth is a rich city that is a pain in the ass to get to.  The terrain sucks and the Forsworn are on every road.  Markarth also has a small population.  It is too off the beaten path, but that doesn’t mean there won’t be a few local girls selling it on the side.  Because of the wealth there, it could support one or two full-time call girls who would only service wealthy clients.

Whiterun is out the question, and Ysolda is probably servicing the whole town for free anyway.

That leaves Riften, Windhlem and Solitude.  Riften could support a small brothel, but not a large posh one.  A brothel there would only serve a handful of locals and maybe a few wagons coming from Bruma or Cheydinhal.  And I don’t see Maven Blackbriar allowing scummy street walkers in her city.  The brothel would have to be behind closed doors and she would have to get her cut.  She might even be the one who owns it.

Windhelm could support a large brothel.  There are plenty of Stormcloak soldiers around and it is a major port.  But by the feel and vibe I get from that city, it lends itself to a small army of street walkers controlled by a vicious gangster type.  He probably has them all strung out on skooma and there would be a high ratio of Dunmer girls hooking.  Vulnerable refugees stuck in an alien city without resources or hope of relief.  It all sounds very depressing; the ugly reality of being a whore.

Finally Solitude.  This city could support all three types of working girl but look at the dynamics.  It is the capital of Skyrim and the city is clean.  It doesn’t lend itself to drug addicted street walkers.  It could support a huge brothel since there are lots of soldiers, sailors and visiting types. If the local government and populace accepted its presence, I doubt they would want it inside the city walls, but they might turn a blind eye to it.  Again, who knows.  Solitude in my eyes would be perfect for a large scale call girl service.  It might even provide girls of all calibers for all of Skyrim in one way or another.

One category of working girl I left out was camp followers, but they really wouldn’t be hookers.  The Imperials would hire girls to follow the troops from camp to camp (like the ancient Romans did).  This does double duty; it has people in the camp who do all of the laundry and cooking and it keeps the soldiers from molesting the locals.  This doesn’t mean that every Imperial camp in Skyrim has a cum dumpster in it though.

The Stormcloaks wouldn’t need this service since both sexes serve and fight.  Their camps at nightfall would be like Woodstock fueled by mead.

Anyway, I’m just knocking ideas around.  Feel free to jump in.  :)

The WIP has been uploaded.

Love your idea. You comment about Ysolda made me giggled. I wish to see it in Riften It's already corrupted city with skooma dealers, thiefs and similar scum, and there is that Dibela worshipper, Haelga. She is more then competent to lead prostitution business in Riften. :)

The idea of call girls is excellent. Imagine Dragonborn enjoying sitting by the fire in his house and he order 2 (two is always better then one in this case :P  ) callgirls for all night fun.... hehe.

Love your idea. You comment about Ysolda made me giggled. I wish to see it in Riften It's already corrupted city with skooma dealers, thiefs and similar scum, and there is that Dibela worshipper, Haelga. She is more then competent to lead prostitution business in Riften. :)

I forgot about the bunk house.  You're a genius.  There is servant girl there who could hook on the side.  ;)

I think Haelga is simply a nympho (who uses that word any more?).  Her, the horker tusk under her bed :P .  I hate to disagree with you (cuz you my buddy), but I think she would be better as hooker than as a madam.  She would see it as her holy/holey duty as a Dibella worshipper to spread the love...and venereal diseases.

I have already started working on this project.  I am doing the 'Whores of Windhelm' first as they as the easiest; street walkers in select Windhelm locations will be available for fast, cheap and unclean sex..just how how street walkers really are.  There will be two random types; the ones who will do it for gold or skooma/dope and the ones who only do it for money.  Some of them have their priorities right. :D

There is servant girl there who could hook on the side.

Excellent idea. LOL...

but I think she would be better as hooker than as a madam.

I was suggesting Haelga since she already running bunkhouse which can be a good place for low cost prostitution brothel. She mighte be the street prostitution overseer ;)

I have already started working on this project.  I am doing the 'Whores of Windhelm'

I'm glad you started this project. Personally, I don't like Windhelm, but it's a big city, similar to Riften by morality, only colder and it's a good place to start low cost prostitution.... :)  Must be careful that the Windhelm's serial killer won't kill prostitutes... ;)

As I said, I like your idea. I'm most excited with a "Call girl" concept... hehe.  If you need some help, I would love to participate in this project.

Perhaps a specific 'type' of working girl per city location...here's my thoughts:

Riften - Rife with a criminal element, the only type of prostitute encountered there should be street walkers & pimps. Perhaps only one or two call girls would be available through Maven Black-Briar (or similar NPC)...but I think it should be more focused on street corner services. It just seems Riften is a 'rougher' neighborhood, and the ladies and how they conduct their business should reflect that.

Solitude - Posh, high-end brothel outside the city limits...with a few call girls residing inside the city to take care of the high society / nobility types. No street walkers though.

Windhelm - Don't know what fits this city best...maybe something similar to what you made for FO3, the Chryslus Bar & Grill? A strip joint with a few ladies that do work on the side...I don't think it's necessary to have every woman there turning tricks though. Should be a rough and rowdy place, where the player character might just get punched in the face by a drunk patron for just looking at them.

Anyhow...seems like you've got some pretty good ideas so far Kendo. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

Good luck!

N~dles

Only one I really dispute is Markarth.  The silver has to go somewhere, that means trade routes to and from the city, probably on a fairly regular basis.  Yes, it's out of the way but it's also the big source of Skyrim's value to the Empire, that means people are going to be making the trip.  That would mean there would be plenty of tired caravan workers looking to "relax" with nowhere to get some between Markarth and Solitude at the least.

The idea I have for Windhelm is already taking shape.  Dirty ugly whores for a dirty ugly city.  They will mainly be for immersion, (soliciting the player and passer-by NPCs) but the player will be able to get standing oral from them in alley at a cheap price.  In RL, no one reasonable wants to fuck crack whores, and that's what Windhelm will be infested with.  Once I have that done (it should take maybe two or three days to complete) I'll have something ready for public testing.  It won't be grand; some ugly bitch who will suck your dick for gold or skooma, but it will work.  Welcome to Windhelm.

The idea I have for Windhelm is already taking shape.  Dirty ugly whores for a dirty ugly city.  They will mainly be for immersion, (soliciting the player and passer-by NPCs) but the player will be able to get standing oral from them in alley at a cheap price.  In RL, no one reasonable wants to fuck crack whores, and that's what Windhelm will be infested with.  Once I have that done (it should take maybe two or three days to complete) I'll have something ready for public testing.  It won't be grand; some ugly bitch who will suck your dick for gold or skooma, but it will work.  Welcome to Windhelm.

Hhahahaahah - agreee. and it's true. So windhelm will soon change its name into "Blowjob city" ;):D

Only one I really dispute is Markarth.  The silver has to go somewhere, that means trade routes to and from the city, probably on a fairly regular basis.  Yes, it's out of the way but it's also the big source of Skyrim's value to the Empire, that means people are going to be making the trip.  That would mean there would be plenty of tired caravan workers looking to "relax" with nowhere to get some between Markarth and Solitude at the least.

Markarth is important according to the game, but I don't know why. An obsidian mine (obsidian ore worth ten times as much as silver ore) is controlled by less than 10 orcs and a log fence.  The ore in that mine can make the player low level game rich.  All of the ore in the infamous Cidhna mine equals less than 1500 gp if the player sells it.  It makes no sense and Markarth has no strategic advantage.  It's in a box canyon miles away from anything, it doesn't control a crossroads or bridge, and it can be sealed off by by simply collapsing its gates.  It's not a haven, it's a death trap.  Me as General Tullius, I would evacuate the city (no stratgic or monetary value) and use those guards as troops.  Let the Forsworn have Markarth.  I'd starve them into submission when I wanted the city back.  Athens was abandoned and burned, but it is still a Greek city.  ;)

BUT (back to your point), by Bethesda dev game standards Markarth is story-line fluke for the main quest.  It's important, but its role wasn't well-thought out.

Kjajjit caravans?

Maybe not within the scope of what you are making but I've always wanted to do some high end courtesan NPC that travel among the elite locations.

Cats live in hide tents and no one likes them.  Why would a high-class professional broad even consider that?  She'd be parked in a city, sipping wine from silver goblets and living easy.

Kjajjit caravans?

Maybe not within the scope of what you are making but I've always wanted to do some high end courtesan NPC that travel among the elite locations.

Cats live in hide tents and no one likes them.  Why would a high-class professional broad even consider that?  She'd parked in a city, sipping wine from silver goblets and living easy.

One has nothing to do with another.  The two sentences are not even connected in my original post.

What I meant was that:

1. Sex trades can certainly involve Khajiit carvans.  Even more so because the cats are not welcome. That is it.

2. Courtesan <> harem.  They worked the courts using sex to peddle influences.  Many did travel around on behave of the elites as the nobility would draw too much attention.  Anyway I digress, the furthest I got is having some NPC moving from one location to another in appropriate cloth.

The ore in that mine can make the player low level game rich.  All of the ore in the infamous Cidhna mine equals less than 1500 gp if the player sells it.  

You're thinking too small.  All right, so the PC can get 1500 GP worth of silver out of the mine in one day.  Let's say that's ridiculously unrealistic and each miner's usually only pulling out a tenth of that.  There's ten-fifteen miners in Cidhna mine from what I remember when I had to kill them all, but let's go with the high end and we're right back to about 1500 GP worth of silver.  Pulled out of one mine.  Every.  Single.  Day.  And given how little ore the PC can actually pull up compared to experienced miners from my research, that's insanely low - the real answer is probably closer to 30,000 GP a day.  And while most of that probably goes to the Silver Bloods, they still pay taxes.  Whoever controls Markarth pretty much controls all of Skyrim's wealth in real terms.

But what about the obsidian mine?  Put simply, if obsidian is really worth that much on merit (as opposed to artificial scarcity) someone will get to that, left unchecked.  The orcs will either get the numbers to hold the place, someone (probably whoever wins the Civil War) will kick them out and take over, or the price will fall as other sources are discovered.  It just hasn't happened yet, most likely because of said civil war being a bit of a distraction from setting up a major mining operation.

Everyboody always picks on Windhelm...lmao, though I dont think the city would be infested with street walkers for as you already stated... Stormcloaks have both male and female members... and what do bored enlisted "people" do? they drink... Stormcloak Palluza #16,501!!! lol... and no "Respectable" Nord would even think about bedding a Grey Skin ...Nor do I think Skooma would be rampid within the city just becuase of the Stormcloak pressence. The city may be old and run down but Windhelm has an ancient and proud history and most of the residents are proud of that fact.... The Grey Quarters on the other hand... well, being down on your luck does make a person do things they wouldn't normally do but, I dont believe they would be doing it to FEED a habit (skooma), moreso to feed thier bellys... As for the Lizard population, you can bet they have some kind of skooma deelings going on behind those doors, but its VERY hush hush and for the Liz hookers ... nah, who would want to stick thier cock in a cold and clamy hole? may as well fuck a Vampire.  My humble opinion of course. :)

Yes, it's complex.  Last night I started working on the bases for Windhelm leveled lists.  Looking at the size of Windhelm (it's small) there really isn't room for more than three spawn points.  One spawn will be Nord only, somewhere between the Grey Quarter and the inn.  The other two will be Dark Elves in the Grey Quarter and only one of those will be a skooma addict.  There just isn't room for more.  :(

Looks like a great project. Most of the suggestions I'd make have already been offered, but:

1) Remember that the lore population of the cities is meant to be around 50x or more what we actually see. I don't like it, but there it is. So, all of the cities have enough population to support whatever you want to put there. 

2) Whiterun could support a couple of street walkers, a hidden brothel (hidden because Balgruf and Maven are pretty much the only Jarls in Skyrim who'd both object and have the power to make it stick), and definitely a high priced call girl. She'd go to the "Cloud District" pretty often. Could even be Nazeem's wife, as she's clearly sick of him. 

3) Morthal could support a really freaky small, hidden brothel, overseen by Alva or another vampire. The girls would be genuine vamps, and the patrons wouldn't know that they were being set up as thralls or cows. 

4) With the Imperial Garrison in Solitude, there are definitely at least two brothels. A cheap place to service the soldiers, maybe in a boat in the bay, and a much more expensive place to service the nobles. Also, again, call girls. Amorous Adventures has a very good storyline where the Bard's College is basically turning out girls for the nobles, and that could be expanded on. 

5) Winterhold. One or two sad, tired widows turned prostitutes would be more than enough for the town, and the students (like students everywhere) would take care of one another, but the college could probably support a hidden Succubi Summoning Chamber that provides services for the older, less attractive instructors.

6) Riften. The Thieve's Guild would want a cut from any brothel, as would Maven. The Jarl would know nothing. And, yes, Haelga is pretty much textually the high priced call girl of the town. She could easily have turned out her niece as well. 

I could go for an actual mod that has its own gals working in it with their own functionality, Immersive wenches is nice and all but not nearly as full as what you have in mind.

That's the idea and here's the plan of attack:

1) Street walkers (only 3) in Windhelm that will lead to player to a secluded spot and do oral only.  One of them will do it for gold or skooma.

2) Narri in Falkreath and Abalone in Dawnstar hook on the side.  They will only do it at night and if approached during the day they will tell the player to come back later.  They will offer everything, from oral only to a trip around the world.

Once I have that done I'll focus on other stuff.

I could go for an actual mod that has its own gals working in it with their own functionality, Immersive wenches is nice and all but not nearly as full as what you have in mind.

That's the idea and here's the plan of attack:

1) Street walkers (only 3) in Windhelm that will lead to player to a secluded spot and do oral only.  One of them will do it for gold or skooma.

2) Narri in Falkreath and Abalone in Dawnstar hook on the side.  They will only do it at night and if approached during the day they will tell the player to come back later.  They will offer everything, from oral only to a trip around the world.

Once I have that done I'll focus on other stuff.

Sanguine's speed to you with your effort!

Welp, what I have so far for the mod:

2 Dark Elf and 2 Nord hookers who will do it for cash (group #1)

2 Dark Elf and 2 Nord hookers who will do it for cash or skooma (group #2)

Both groups use their default AI packages as they should and all 8 of the hookers are game-ready NPCs.  They spawn from two leveled lists with leveled farm clothing and petty pocket loot (a few gold coins, maybe a lockpick, maybe an empty skooma bottle.)  There's no telling which one you will encounter or what they will be wearing.

The quest is about 50% done.  Group #1 will say their lines, from the player saying the initial 'How's tricks?' to the final 'Just shut up and suck it.'  I haven't done group #2 yet. That branch will take little longer.

I haven't done any quest scripting yet.  Most of it will be auto fill so it is no big deal and I have a Sexlab scripting scheme that I know works.  I already tested it.

As an aside, I didn't make the girls as grotesque as I had initially planned.  About half of them are decent looking and the others arent.

Anyway, making progress on this.

Welp, what I have so far for the mod:

2 Dark Elf and 2 Nord hookers who will do it for cash (group #1)

2 Dark Elf and 2 Nord hookers who will do it for cash or skooma (group #2)

Both groups use their default AI packages as they should and all 8 of the hookers are game-ready NPCs.  They spawn from two leveled lists with leveled farm clothing and petty pocket loot (a few gold coins, maybe a lockpick, maybe an empty skooma bottle.)  There's no telling which one you will encounter or what they will be wearing.

The quest is about 50% done.  Group #1 will say their lines, from the player saying the initial 'How's tricks?' to the final 'Just shut up and suck it.'  I haven't done group #2 yet. That branch will take little longer.

I haven't done any quest scripting yet.  Most of it will be auto fill so it is no big deal and I have a Sexlab scripting scheme that I know works.  I already tested it.

As an aside, I didn't make the girls as grotesque as I had initially planned.  About half of them are decent looking and the other's arent.

Anyway, making progress on this.

I'm sooo happy to see that you are working on this mod. Thank you very much. Glad to see dark elfs involved in prostitution. After Redguard race, elven race is my favourite Skyrim race.